MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Copied from my previous post for additional thoughts. Was it reported when PB initially started discussing getting her hair done? Was this a conversation she had with anyone aside from DB prior to the day of her disappearance? Or was this something KB first heard of the day of PB's disappearance? Did KB physically speak with PB regarding this hair appointment or was this communicated only electronically?

Phylicia-Barnes.jpg

PB wears her hair straight. Exactly what kind of styling would that take outside of a straightening iron - and why would she need to go have that done professionally? I know sometimes people get their hair straightened via perm, but wouldn't PB have done that prior to going to Baltimore? Most girls are pretty picky about their hair and who does there hair. I know when I was PB's age and well into my late 30's I would only let one hair dresser touch my hair and I'd wait for an appt rather than trying someone new.

I'd like to know more about this alleged hair appointment.

jmo

You bring up some very good points about hair. Maybe someone with more information/experience can help on this, but my understanding is that women with African heritage have to be really careful of what they do to their hair. Straightening it can cause a LOT of damage. To have hair as long as hers, as healthy as hers is, Clearly, PB takes good care of her hair, and I can't imagine she'd just go to anyone to get it worked on. Is it possible DB has someone in Baltimore who does her hair, and PB, being enamored of her big sister, wanted to go to that person? Maybe she wanted it cut in the same style as DB?

IMHO>>>>Though nothing has been said in MSM or by LE, the way I see it going is the night before, DB, KB, and PB were talking about plans for the next day. DB knew she would be at work. But KB was getting off of work at noon so she said she could take PB out to do hair and get some beauty products. (I don't know this, I am guessing. KB said when PB texted her to come pick her up, she was at work, and DB has said KB was supposed to pick PB up between 1:30-1:45, so I am assuming KB got off work at lunch time that day). DB and PB texted in the later morning about this, finalizing plans. Maybe DB called her hair place and set up an appointment, and texted PB the time, and KB as well. It all broke down when KB tried to communicate with PB about picking her up, and got no answer. KB talks to DB. DB talks to MJ. He says she was "asleep" at 1:00-1:30, when he last went through the apartment. So DB tells KB she may be asleep, and they cancel the beauty plans.

But WHY didn't KB go to the house to check on her? WHY leave it to chance? Makes NO sense, IMO.

Video of RB (father) that I had not seen yet. WJZ news. It is old 96 days before birthday).
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/07/father-of-missing-n-c-teen-issues-plea/

This video, also from WJZ (local in Baltimore), has something interesting. A person who works in the apartment complex said "the family" moved out during the week before PB's birthday. What? Anyone else listen to this, and verify what I heard?
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/12/family-marks-phylicia-barnes-17th-birthday/

Did anyone notice someone posted on PB's myspace on 12-31? The post is a bit odd imo as well. (at least considering the circumstances).

I'm not sure what to make of that. Especially if PB had used her sisters FB and someone could have logged in if the password was saved.

ETA: Maybe that was last years holiday. I just find it odd there is a post from 12-28 and then 12-31 but it looks like there are posts in different months before and after the two from 12-28 and 12-31. (I'm not familiar with myspace).

Has it been confirmed KB only worked until noon the day Phylicia went missing?

tia

PB wears her hair straight. Exactly what kind of styling would that take outside of a straightening iron - and why would she need to go have that done professionally? I know sometimes people get their hair straightened via perm, but wouldn't PB have done that prior to going to Baltimore? Most girls are pretty picky about their hair and who does there hair. I know when I was PB's age and well into my late 30's I would only let one hair dresser touch my hair and I'd wait for an appt rather than trying someone new.

I'd like to know more about this alleged hair appointment.

jmo

Respectfully snipped

I work with some girls who go all the way to Baltimore to get their hair done. One of them just came back with the most beautiful braids. Tiny, tiny braids. It's really amazing. Anyway, from what they were telling me, it is hard to find a place that can do that quality of work and they make the 8 hour drive to get it done every few months.

Dunno, my hair is straight and boring. I chop it off, myself, every once in a while. :crazy:

eta: My take on what happened is that PB overindulged that night. She was still asleep when sister left. There was no Mid day nap, she still slept. That would explain the 'shes up and around' text from MJ that seemed so strange. You say that someone is 'up and around' if they've been in bed sick for a while and are finally getting better and up. Maybe she was up and around, maybe she wasn't. I suspect she suffered from alcohol poisoning and didn't survive and it's all been CYA since then.

Has it been confirmed KB only worked until noon the day Phylicia went missing?

tia

No, not at all. KB said she was at work when PB texted her to pick her up. That was about 12:30. And she was supposed to pick PB up aroudn 1:30-1:45, so I am assuming she would have to be off work to do that. But not sure if she was just taking a long lunch or had the rest of the day off???

Did anyone notice someone posted on PB's myspace on 12-31? The post is a bit odd imo as well. (at least considering the circumstances).

I'm not sure what to make of that. Especially if PB had used her sisters FB and someone could have logged in if the password was saved.

ETA: Maybe that was last years holiday. I just find it odd there is a post from 12-28 and then 12-31 but it looks like there are posts in different months before and after the two from 12-28 and 12-31. (I'm not familiar with myspace).

PB last used her MS account March, 2010. The 12-31 post is 12-31-09. She was visiting her sisters then, too, after Christmas.

In the comments on this article, brother BB's makes a comment (Jan. 6).
I would be interested in anyone's take on his comment. What are the "immature comments being made to the press" ???
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/missing-teen-may-have-been-given-vodka-and-marijuana/

And in this article, in the comments section, several posters claiming to be friends of DB post comments saying she is not the person being portrayed in the media. Thoughts?
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/detectives-search-park-as-fbi-joins-missing-teen-search/

Let me preface my questions by saying I am the Mother of 2 multi-racial children. That does include african ancestry.

About Phylicia's hair and the need (or desire) to go to shop for service:

1. Does Phylicia have any extensions or tracks of additional hair? If so, that could be a reason for a salon visit.

2. It doesn't take just a flat iron to do your hair even if it is processed (sometimes you can but my Daughter must do the following or visit a salon for a smooth style) a wash, blow out, flat ironing. The blow out and flat ironing are time consuming and difficult to do by yourself (the back of the head) and get it smooth all the way around without any spots missed.

I rarely if every comment about AA hair and my experience in handling my daughter's hair. I was subject to some extraordinarily ugly remarks last time that I did and I should have alerted but I didn't.

I hope that my comments are taken as meant, as from a Mom who is concerned about Phylicia who is absolutely stunning in the photo above. My goodness what a beautiful young lady.

JMHO.

I would be interested in anyone's take on his comment. What are the "immature comments being made to the press" ???
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/missing-teen-may-have-been-given-vodka-and-marijuana/

And in this article, in the comments section, several posters claiming to be friends of DB post comments saying she is not the person being portrayed in the media. Thoughts?
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/detectives-search-park-as-fbi-joins-missing-teen-search/

Wow at the comment by the brother. I think he means PB'S mother . I guess he thinks she was being immature to talk about the misrepresented lifestyle of DB to the media.

What I thought was interesting was the the way he added "we the Barnes family" So I guess they are taking a united front and P.b's mom is not part of that

I get the feeling that they will protect DB at PB's expense.
IMO of course.

Let me preface my questions by saying I am the Mother of 2 multi-racial children. That does include african ancestry.

1. Does Phylicia have any extensions or tracks of additional hair? If so, that could be a reason for a salon visit.

2. It doesn't take just a flat iron to do your hair even if it is processed (sometimes you can but my Daughter must do the following or visit a salon for a smooth style) a wash, blow out, flat ironing. The blow out and flat ironing are time consuming and difficult to do by yourself (the back of the head) and get it smooth all the way around without any spots missed.

I rarely if every comment about AA hair and my experience in handling my daughter's hair. I was subject to some extraordinarily ugly remarks last time that I did and I should have alerted but I didn't.

I hope that my comments are taken as meant, as from a Mom who is concerned about Phylicia who is absolutely stunning in the photo above. My goodness what a beautiful young lady.

JMHO.

Thank you
for your input in response to my wonderings. Much appreciated. (very sorry to hear your previous input was not treated respectfully. That's not okay).
From what PB's mom said, PB was all "girl". She was very into her appearance, looking her best. Hair, nails, makeup, clothes. So if she was due for a particular treatment, I don't think it would matter where she was, she would find a way to do it.
If you look through the various pictures of PB, her hair seems to be medium to medium long lengths. very cropped short in one photo, but that photo looked pretty old. IMO.

Wow at the comment by the brother. I think he means PB'S mother . I guess he thinks she was being immature to talk about the misrepresented lifestyle of DB to the media.

What I thought was interesting was the the way he added "we the Barnes family" So I guess they are taking a united front and P.b's mom is not part of that

I get the feeling that they will protect DB at PB's expense.
IMO of course.

I respectfully agree with everything you said. The We really stood out to me. Father (RB) is using similar phrasing in his comments on FB and media comments.

Thank you Kat. I too am sorry your previous experience commenting was not a good one. I was aware the styling would be time consuming. I'm just wondering also, respectfully, how often one would need a salon style and would the frequency fit into the time PB was expected to be in Baltimore. Surely, if PB planned to get pampered as part of her vacation getting her hair, nails done... this is something that likely could not happen as a 'walk in' and would likely have been arranged in advance. Most good stylists fill their appointment books and same day appointments are difficult, if not impossible to make - at least in my experience. I think this is something LE could likely determine if an appt was made, was it made prior to the day PB went missing. Just trying to not leave any stone unturned here.

I think he is disappointed in some of PB's mothers comments, however I personally don't care for his choice of words - if that MSM comment is in fact from brother BB. It's obvious PB's mother is angry, hurt, devistated, feels betrayed and she is going to express that. Take it for what it is with some understanding of the range of emotions she is experiencing. If he has something to say, contact the press himself and make a statement about what he knows of his sister, her former(?) boyfriend instead of making disparaging remarks about how PB's mother expresses herself and is responding to her daughters disappearance. This is no time for bickering among the family, and time for the rest of the family to understand PB's mother is beside herself. Treat her actions and reactions accordingly. LE has confirmed that appx 20 people were in and out of that apartment and they have narrowed their POI list to 12. Clearly, DB and MJ's actions are something not most 27 year olds do on a weekday evening when they have to work the next day, let alone having a minor in their care.

jmo

JMHO.

Agreed.

I also have a mulit-racial daughter (she's 13.) I currently am the one doing the hair straightening and I can tell you it is a process. When I can send her to the salon to have them do it I am more than happy to. At that length it could take hours. She probably either has extensions and needed some maintenance or wanted to have a professional do her flat-iron process. Or maybe she just needed/wanted a cut. I am not sure why there is question about here needed/wanting to get her hair done.

Agreed.

I also have a mulit-racial daughter (she's 13.) I currently am the one doing the hair straightening and I can tell you it is a process. When I can send her to the salon to have them do it I am more than happy to. At that length it could take hours. She probably either has extensions and needed some maintenance or wanted to have a professional do her flat-iron process. Or maybe she just needed/wanted a cut. I am not sure why there is question about here needed/wanting to get her hair done.

Thank you for your input on this. I did not realize that the time it took was such a factor. That puts another spin on it. There may not have been anyone in the house who could do it for her, or who had the time to do it for her!
The question was about some people tending to have "their" hair person who did their hair, and being reluctant to have anyone else do their hair. As well as facing the wrath of their stylist upon their return (omg, what did that person DO to your hair?). We were trying to verify that a 16 year old, with her particular hair and hair style, might legitimately want/need to get her hair done while on vacation for 2 weeks away from her regular stylist. (A tleast that was why I was wondering. The others who asked about it may have other reasons, so hopefully they will chime in).

Thank you for your input on this. I did not realize that the time it took was such a factor. That puts another spin on it. There may not have been anyone in the house who could do it for her, or who had the time to do it for her!
The question was about some people tending to have "their" hair person who did their hair, and being reluctant to have anyone else do their hair. As well as facing the wrath of their stylist upon their return (omg, what did that person DO to your hair?). We were trying to verify that a 16 year old, with her particular hair and hair style, might legitimately want/need to get her hair done while on vacation for 2 weeks away from her regular stylist. (A tleast that was why I was wondering. The others who asked about it may have other reasons, so hopefully they will chime in).

Thank you georgiajean. Your reply covers most of why I asked. The additional reason I asked, is because I am questioning/scrutinizing DB's and MJ's account of what was supposed to have occured and timeline on the day PB went missing.

hth

Something else I am having a hard time with. (Kind of a vent). What kind of persons over 25 'party' with a 16 year old?

Don't ask me. This is one of my pet peeves. Unfortunately far too many people do it. Especially men. You're a full grown man and this is a kid. A child. A very young girl. Ummmmmm, there's a real good chance someone is going to get in trouble and you have an underage girl present.

Sorry, I saw this with my own DD while her dad was supposed to be on the ball. A 19 year old partying it up with 30 year olds? At 16 she had a few "guys" and that's plural come to pick her up for her first date with a young man. They sent the young kid up to get her from the car.

What the heck do I look like? No way in holy heck. Then the driver comes up spouting his BS. "Ma'am I know how you feel I'm a parent". Get off my step and away from my kid. He was the date. I'm spposed to be stupid?

Young ladies don't know better. They are not schooled in the ways of the world. What young girl wouldn't want to be at a party with older folks?

Sorry for the vent as well, Cubby.

Agreed.

I don't get people's concern about going to get her hair done either. I have raised two daughters. They don't have particular stylist that they ONLY go to. They go to whoever and they change up based on other friends styles, so they try out different salons if they like someone else's look. Also, if PB was from a small southern town and was suddenly in the big city of Baltimore, being able to say she went to a salon and had her hair cut and styled would sort of seem like something she could brag about later on facebook to her "small town" friends back home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagguk
Back