MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't get people's concern about going to get her hair done either. I have raised two daughters. They don't have particular stylist that they ONLY go to. They go to whoever and they change up based on other friends styles, so they try out different salons if they like someone else's look. Also, if PB was from a small southern town and was suddenly in the big city of Baltimore, being able to say she went to a salon and had her hair cut and styled would sort of seem like something she could brag about later on facebook to her "small town" friends back home.

aha. Thank you. That's the kind of insight I was hoping someone might have. I didn't think about the "cool" factor of having your hair done in the big city out of state. I did not realize that where she was in NC was small town. I'll have to look into that more.

I still think it is all hinky, and that something happened that morning and everything that followed has been a CYA trail. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong. I would love to apologize to the people I suspect, because I hate to think that they were involved or know what happened.

http://radioamber.net/?p=4051

Jan 16th, 2011 | By Dan

Phylicia Barnes is still missing despite efforts put forth by authorities and the media. Authorities have involved more than 100 local, state and federal law enforcement officers. Search dogs, helicopters and dive teams have been dispatched in the search. Thousands of flyers were posted in Baltimore and billboards featuring her photo went up, but no sitings of Phylicia have been reported. Authorities have no physical evidence to go on and are dependent on tips from the public to find leads.

Agreed.

I also have a mulit-racial daughter (she's 13.) I currently am the one doing the hair straightening and I can tell you it is a process. When I can send her to the salon to have them do it I am more than happy to. At that length it could take hours. She probably either has extensions and needed some maintenance or wanted to have a professional do her flat-iron process. Or maybe she just needed/wanted a cut. I am not sure why there is question about here needed/wanting to get her hair done.

I'm right outside of Baltimore and have been following this case. She's such a beautiful, young, intelligent girl. That part of Baltimore is not the kind of place for a country girl to hang out in. I can imagine the types of men who were coming in and out. I'm 25 years old, and I wouldn't feel comfortable in that environment.

I have hair like Phylicia's. AA hair is complicated. While I have a stylist that I prefer, I will go to someone new if a friend or family member recommends it. It's very, very, time consuming. My non-black friends wash their hair and go. Mine requires blow drying and flat ironing. If I don't have a relaxer, it takes about 2 hours. If her hair was natural (no relaxer) but flat ironed, it would have taken alot of time, patience, and skill to do it.

I know some people who go every week or every 2 weeks if they can afford it. I also know that there are quite a few Dominican salons in Baltimore that have a really good reputation with AA hair. Maybe she wanted to try going to one of those?

I pray for a good outcome for her. Every time I see her mom, I want to cry.

Thank you for your input on this. I did not realize that the time it took was such a factor. That puts another spin on it. There may not have been anyone in the house who could do it for her, or who had the time to do it for her!
The question was about some people tending to have "their" hair person who did their hair, and being reluctant to have anyone else do their hair. As well as facing the wrath of their stylist upon their return (omg, what did that person DO to your hair?). We were trying to verify that a 16 year old, with her particular hair and hair style, might legitimately want/need to get her hair done while on vacation for 2 weeks away from her regular stylist. (A tleast that was why I was wondering. The others who asked about it may have other reasons, so hopefully they will chime in).

Ahh.. I see now. It can be a huge process and pretty much anyone can do a decent flat-iron job. (if that is indeed what she wanted done) Or could be like the others said, Baltimore has big city stylists. Pretty cool for a 16 year old.

And for a time reference... my daughter has a just above the shoulder length bob... it takes me an hour to straighten it (and this is after she has already washed and dried it.) This summer she had hair the length of PB's and it took 2 hours with the flat-iron. :/

Is it safe to say the hair stylist would need to allow approximately 2 hours-if PB wasn't also planning on having her nails done or a manicure/pedicure and they would have a difficult time making a same day appointment? Or is it typical to be able to get a same day walk in appointment, or an appointment with a few hour notice in Baltimore for the styling services PB might have been seeking?

I'm really not so concerned about why she may have wanted to have her hair done or get pampered. (Many people do that while vacationing -the whole spa thing), but rather if an appointment was made for this hair appointment prior to the day PB went missing. If we knew a hair appointment was made prior to the day she went missing it might lend some credence to the chain of events as told by DB and MJ the day PB went missing. Was an appointment made ahead of time? Did someone call to cancel when it was determined PB was 'sleeping' or was there never an appointment and this is something DB and MJ concocted as part of a story to cya for the true events which happened that day?

Respectfully and jmo

Is it safe to say the hair stylist would need to allow approximately 2 hours-if PB wasn't also planning on having her nails done or a manicure/pedicure and it would have a difficult time making a same day appointment? Or is it typical to be able to get a same day walk in appointment, or an appointment with a few hour notice in Baltimore for the styling services PB might have been seeking?

I'm really not so concerned about why she may have wanted to have her hair done or get pampered. (Many people do that while vacationing -the whole spa thing), but rather if an appointment was made for this hair appointment prior to the day PB went missing. If we knew a hair appointment was made prior to the day she went missing it might lend some credence to the chain of events as told by DB and MJ the day PB went missing. Was an appointment made ahead of time? Did someone call to cancel when it was determined PB was 'sleeping' or was there never an appointment and this is something DB and MJ concocted as part of a story to cya for the true events which happened that day?

Respectfully and jmo

Regarding the hair appointment, I hope LE has asked what salon the appt was with and verified it. Surely at least KB knew since she was going to take her, correct?

Welcome to WS 24k!

:welcome:

Thanks! I'm still new here. I wish there was a resolution to this case, especially since I'm so close.

Personally, I doubt it was a stranger abduction. That area isn't safe, but I don't think it has a particularly high rate of stranger abductions. It does have a high rate of crime, but it's usually because of drugs.

Is it safe to say the hair stylist would need to allow approximately 2 hours-if PB wasn't also planning on having her nails done or a manicure/pedicure and they would have a difficult time making a same day appointment? Or is it typical to be able to get a same day walk in appointment, or an appointment with a few hour notice in Baltimore for the styling services PB might have been seeking?

Respectfully and jmo

I understand what you are asking now Cubby.

If she was going to go to a salon to have her hair done then yes by all means she would have an appt. That is my humble opinion. (based on time constraints and services the we have anticipated that this young lady would need).

I'm not completely up to date with every detail of this case. Was a salon identified as providing this service to her? Sometimes, to save money---when it comes to doing AA hair weekly (some women love to have it done weekly) with the latest styles and/or trends they will have a point of contact (could also be a friend but someone they know) that does hair on the side. You just stop by their house, pay your money and get your hair done. I had a friend that did that out of her home and she made hundreds of dollars extra cash under the table every week.

JMHO

I understand what you are asking now Cubby.

If she was going to go to a salon to have her hair done then yes by all means she would have an appt. That is my humble opinion. (based on time constraints and services the we have anticipated that this young lady would need).

I'm not completely up to date with every detail of this case. Was a salon identified as providing this service to her? Sometimes, to save money---when it comes to doing AA hair weekly (some women love to have it done weekly) with the latest styles and/or trends they will have a point of contact (could also be a friend but someone they know) that does hair on the side. You just stop by their house, pay your money and get your hair done. I had a friend that did that out of her home and she made hundreds of dollars extra cash under the table every week.

JMHO

TY Kat. You bring up an excellent point I hadn't considered about a professional licensed stylist doing hair at home. IIRC, Mondays are often a day salons are closed due to being open on Saturdays. (If they are open 5 days per week versus 6 and only being closed on Sundays). PB went missing on a Tuesday...... Hopefully LE is still able to uncover something to substantiate whether a hair appointment existed or not.

ETA: No salon has been identified as the one PB planned to have her hair done.

Thanks! I'm still new here. I wish there was a resolution to this case, especially since I'm so close.

Personally, I doubt it was a stranger abduction. That area isn't safe, but I don't think it has a particularly high rate of stranger abductions. It does have a high rate of crime, but it's usually because of drugs.

We are all hoping for resolution, whatever the outcome. :praying:

I don't think it was a stranger abduction either, however - if we all pay particular attention LE has never called this a stranger abduction. It has simply been refered to as an abduction which leads me to believe LE has narrowed this down to PB being abducted by someone she became acquainted with through DB and/or MJ.

jmo

TY Kat. You bring up an excellent point I hadn't considered about a professional licensed stylist doing hair at home. IIRC, Mondays are often a day salons are closed due to being open on Saturdays. (If they are open 5 days per week versus 6 and only being closed on Sundays). PB went missing on a Tuesday...... Hopefully LE is still able to uncover something to substantiate whether a hair appointment existed or not.

ETA: No salon has been identified as the one PB planned to have her hair done.

And since this occurred during the week between two major holidays, with New Year's being a big "going out, looking your best" night, I wonder how booked hair places/people were?

Yes, I agree, the hair appointment needs to be tracked down and confirmed. Because something tells me KB wasn't going to pick her up to go drive around and find a "best cuts" that was near by and open! Thank you everyone for weighing in on this discussion. IMO this is an important piece that has been thrown out there by DB/KB/MJ, without any substantiation.

Went back to the transcript of the NG show. The wording of what was said about the plans that day was bugging me, so I am putting it here. One of NG's people said:
CASAREZ: Let`s look the other way. This is what the half sister has been saying. She`s saying that when she left for work, her half sister, Phylicia, was asleep at 11:45. They spoke around 11:38, saying that they were going to try to make a hair appointment and get some beauty supplies together, and then another half sister was supposed to pick her up at about 1:30, 1:45. She kept calling, but no answer from Phylicia and so then it was found out, well, Phylicia may be sleeping on the couch. So the last person to really ever see her, that half sister when she left for work at 8:45, but then the ex-boyfriend says she was asleep on the couch.
http://157.166.255.31/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/14/ng.01.html

When I hear "try to make a hair appointment" that makes me think there was no appointment made. I see the word "together" which makes me think DB was supposed to do this with her. But DB didn't get off of work until 5?? So was it DB was trying to make an appointment for the evening? Or for the next day? I mean, when was she going to do this with PB? Or was KB going to pick up PB and take her to a place where they'd meet up with DB? I'm sorry, but when I hear words like try, maybe, probably, and supposed to, red flags starting flying. These are words I associate with people who are trying to leave themselves an out. No one can nail you down if you use vague references. What exactly are DB and MJ and KB NOT saying??

I'm right outside of Baltimore and have been following this case. She's such a beautiful, young, intelligent girl. That part of Baltimore is not the kind of place for a country girl to hang out in. I can imagine the types of men who were coming in and out. I'm 25 years old, and I wouldn't feel comfortable in that environment.

I have hair like Phylicia's. AA hair is complicated. While I have a stylist that I prefer, I will go to someone new if a friend or family member recommends it. It's very, very, time consuming. My non-black friends wash their hair and go. Mine requires blow drying and flat ironing. If I don't have a relaxer, it takes about 2 hours. If her hair was natural (no relaxer) but flat ironed, it would have taken alot of time, patience, and skill to do it.

I know some people who go every week or every 2 weeks if they can afford it. I also know that there are quite a few Dominican salons in Baltimore that have a really good reputation with AA hair. Maybe she wanted to try going to one of those?

I pray for a good outcome for her. Every time I see her mom, I want to cry.

Thank you for posting. So weekly or bi-weekly appointments is a likely scenario, and if PB was going to be there for two weeks, it is very likely she would need her hair done. Both of her sisters wear their hair straightened, though they have shorter lengths. So they may have wanted her to go to their people. I can see DB calling up her person, "Hey, my little sister is in town, can you squeeze her in today or tomorrow?". JMHO

Nothing new except if it's 'new' that two congressmen are piping in.

fran

Phylicia Barnes Still Missing Despite Efforts

Both local and national news media have reported on the case but Phylicia Barnes seems to have disappeared without a trace. Authorities are begining to fear the worse. They are again asking for the public’s help. Congressmen Elijah Cummings of Maryland and Larry Kissell of North Carolina issued a joint statement asking for the public to contact the Baltimore Police with any information they may have on to assist the search.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://radioamber.net/?p=4051

"Try to" stands out to me too georgiajean, though I will be honest. NG's reporting of facts is often mixed up. (ie reporting the 11:45am where it should be 8:45am). I think they mixed up DB and KB with regards to who was going to take PB for her hair appt.

....They were going to "try to" make an appointment for a hair style that takes approximately 2 hours for the same day? Why the same day? Why not try and make an appointment upon KB's arrival if she wanted to get her hair done. Or if she just decided she was needing a hair appointment try and set one up that day for later that week?

I am not buying we were going to try to make a hair appointment.
I don't think there were any set plans for PB that day other than to hang around the apartment until her sister got home.

I'm not even sure the story about KB getting off work early is credible.

jmo

Got lost on Myspace for a while. I wanted to throw out there that DB/KB/MJ (and MJ's siblings) had known each other for a while. I find pics of them from 2008 on MS. They did not have a problem with a teenager joining them to drink/smoke/party at that time (youngest bro, who would have been 16, I believe), so why should it surprise anyone they allowed, perhaps even encouraged PB to do so?

"Try to" stands out to me too georgiajean, though I will be honest. NG's reporting of facts is often mixed up. (ie reporting the 11:45am where it should be 8:45am). I think they mixed up DB and KB with regards to who was going to take PB for her hair appt.

....They were going to "try to" make an appointment for a hair style that takes approximately 2 hours for the same day? Why the same day? Why not try and make an appointment upon KB's arrival if she wanted to get her hair done. Or if she just decided she was needing a hair appointment try and set one up that day for later that week?

I am not buying we were going to try to make a hair appointment.
I don't think there were any set plans for PB that day other than to hang around the apartment until her sister got home.

I'm not even sure the story about KB getting off work early is credible.

jmo

I wonder if she had mentioned it to her sister - the same one that she told about the man who made advances at her? Surely if they chatted, she would have mentioned any plans for getting her hair done.

I wonder if she had mentioned it to her sister - the same one that she told about the man who made advances at her? Surely if they chatted, she would have mentioned any plans for getting her hair done.

Good thinking. SS was her "real" big sister, in that she had grown up around her and seemed to confide in her (IMO). So what else has PB told her that would help this investigation?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagguk
Back