Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting 2 dates and locations very near 2 of the crimes we know occurred, as well as the recent investigation I'm Chicago being mentioned. What are the chances that a woman was assaulted or worse in June in route to or from the festival? Would be a way he travels around to commit crimes of opportunity while appearing to be a tourist visiting each location. All my opinion of course but you may be on to something.
Well did not look too deeply for more, but for now, this caught my attention wrt Chicago, fwiw..
JUNE 11, 2023 / 6:38 PM / CBS CHICAGO rbbm.
''Chicago Police are searching for a man who sexually assaulted a woman after he asked her for directions.

Around 11:30 Friday night, a man on a silver bike with green lettering or stripes went up to a 20-year-old woman in the 1500 block of West Thomas Street in Noble Square.

When the woman started giving directions, the man pulled out a gun and sexually assaulted the victim.

Police say the man wore a gray sweatshirt and a blue face mask covering his chin. He is described as a hispanic man between 18 and 25. ''

Well did not look too deeply for more, but for now, this caught my attention wrt Chicago, fwiw..
JUNE 11, 2023 / 6:38 PM / CBS CHICAGO rbbm.
''Chicago Police are searching for a man who sexually assaulted a woman after he asked her for directions.

Around 11:30 Friday night, a man on a silver bike with green lettering or stripes went up to a 20-year-old woman in the 1500 block of West Thomas Street in Noble Square.

When the woman started giving directions, the man pulled out a gun and sexually assaulted the victim.

Police say the man wore a gray sweatshirt and a blue face mask covering his chin. He is described as a hispanic man between 18 and 25. ''
Good find.

Using the middle pic you enhanced (on the right below), I compared it to an example of a Navy military cut on the 'net and still think it looks similar to my old eyes. Also remembering there are naval installations in CA, MD and even near Chicago (Naval Station Great Lakes).

View attachment 444445
He has an Edgar haircut. It's a fad. He may have still had it when he attacked Rachel.

With all the exposure, I'm sure the perp has let his sides grow out. He's likely cutting his hair at home now.

That said, they should show the video to barbers. I think many of them would recognize their work.

Re: Chicago: I think it's either to investigate another crime with certain key similarities, or to help further develop their IGG search -- that is, they ran into a dead end in building up (first step) or down (second step) the family tree based on publicly available info, and needed more info.

Re: Whether it was a SA in LA: I won't rule out the possibility police lied about that. I don't actually know if police are immune from defamation suits, but regardless, stating someone committed a crime that the police know they didn't would probably not pass the internal approval process for obvious reasons, so I haven't been inclined to view the police's account if the incident with much suspicion, but I think denying that he committed a crime that he did commit, particularly when the crime was of a sexual nature and against a minor, could certainly be defended. So yeah, maybe. In all events, I have every reason to believe the police that it was serious.

Re military DNA: Just from googling, it appears that while the government has the DNA, the DNA isn't searchable by law enforcement. I haven't done a deep dive to know the nuances of that.

Re: Being on "multiple" dating sites (which someone found relevant enough to put in all caps??): One or many, all the same -- doesn't say anything about her lifestyle. Might reflect her dislike of dating apps, or suggest that she is quite picky/selective (the opposite of what people seem to be implying). If you want to go on a lot of dates, one app is more than enough. The reason to have multiple apps is to have a wider selection to find that needle in the haystack. You'll see many familiar faces across apps, but some will only be on one app, so if you want the best selection possible, you need to be on multiple. Apps also have different features (including different privacy settings and filters), so you try them all out, and your preferences can change over time. And more importantly, the app that is "in" at any given time in a geographic region changes over the years. I used to like Tinder (for finding serious relationships, not hookups), but when I returned to the dating scene after 4 years, it no longer seemed to be the go-to app and after learning the Gilgo Beach SK was on there, I'm even less keen.

So,in my case: I have 4 dating apps on my phone. Two have inactive/hidden profiles. One has an active but infrequently unused profile that is effectively hidden through privacy settings. One I have been checking most days recently. So I have accounts on 4 dating apps, and the last time I went on a date with someone I met on an app was almost a year ago.

Last edited:
He has an Edgar haircut. It's a fad. He may have still had it when he attacked Rachel.

With all the exposure, I'm sure the perp has let his sides grow out. He's likely cutting his hair at home now.

That said, they should show the video to barbers. I think many of them would recognize their work.
Edgar haircut popular among Latino men. So unfortunately since it's popular it won't be that helpful in identifying the suspect.

Edgar haircut popular among Latino men. So unfortunately since it's popular it won't be that helpful in identifying the suspect.
But if he lived near where the break-in was in LA, it could be helpful. Most barbers recognize their handiwork. Each Edgar cut is a bit different.

Hi to all my sleuther friends, long time since I've posted but felt compelled in this case! So scary for us females, until this guy is caught we need to be vigilant!

This may have been stated already in the threads but the Perp's haircut is EXTREAMLY popular in the tween/ teen age group, social media influencer's on Tiktok and YT Shorts have made it the haircut to have.. Even my little 10yr old insisted on this look. Necklace chain as well.

Which is why I would assume the perp is: Early twenties, social media savvy, and likely following the coverage closely.
AND probably changed up his appearance, buzz cut possible facial hair etc.

Curious also if some of those dating apps have a mile radius filter?! I think he may have found her online in some way, maybe Insta, but def worth trying to mirror her social media pages back to the day before she went missing and taking a close look at her friends/ followers! Check comments on current fb groups as well!

Anyway, lots of love to my WSers, I've missed you guys! And love to Rachel's friends/ family!! This guy WILL be caught, I just hope it's soon!

Ethnicity can be determined from DNA.
"Some truths are in a 'tween state- neither light, not dark."

OK dropping the fake new age mysticism.....

Hispanics are neither a race, nor an ethnicity traditional sense of the word (Greek, Irish, Egyptian etc). Rather, Hispanics are a cultural group with very heavily scrambled DNA.

Hispanics can be of any race and have any number of ethnic backgrounds, though Amerindian mixed with Spanish in the most common. Other Hispanics can be near totally European (from many different ethnic backgrounds).

Still others can be near totally indigenous, African, and less commonly- Asian or Middle Eastern ala Salma Hayek,the Lebanese Mexican super star actress.

In short, Hispanics simply defy DNA tests. For example, my church friend and I both speak Spanish. We are both of mainly Italian descent. I am clearly darker complected than he is.

But... he is Hispanic (Puerto Rican). I am not Hispanic (Spanish fluency is learned, not native). But... our DNA could well be pretty similar.

Whomever the LA dude is, there was only TRACE amounts of his DNA found on Rachel's body. You can go google, or bing, etc, or run down to the nearest criminology library to determine what 'trace' amounts means, etc, and you're going to notice that what happened to Rachel was probably not a SA, and probably not a violent murder situation by the person whose 'trace' DNA was found on her body. So, even though LA dude is suspect, he's not going to be the one getting arrested that's for sure.
So go ask yourselves where could this 'trace' DNA come from, and how trace amounts ended up on her body, etc, etc .... keep in mind that it's been plastered all over the media that Rachel was on 'MULTIPLE' dating sites, that she was a gym member, spray tan enthusiast, had a cleaning business, etc, etc, etc, so many sources of where this 'trace' amount of DNA could've been picked up.

View attachment 444115

That's a pretty big leap. The wording used was "traces of DNA" and that could mean anything. If LE is confident enough to link these two crimes to the same individual AND publicly release his image, I would safely assume he's the guy. Everything LE releases to the public is done for a reason, and thought out.

IMO he is extremely dangerous to us all and brazen. He walked out of a home invasion with porch light blaring in South Central LA,
and attacked/ dragged a woman off of a running trail before dark (It get's dark here around 7:45- 8pm) murdering her in a way that would certainly leave him bloodied.

He had to know enough about that area to get in and out of the park unseen. I think it's likely that he is from that area, went to school near there or has close family in MD. Maybe one parent in LA one in MD?! You don't just "happen upon" either of those neighborhoods! JMO.

It’s popular in general. However, it requires a mass of hair, and preferably, of a coarse structure, unless men want to use a lot of hair products. I would not judge that a person is Hispanic just because of an Edgar. I’d probably think that he wants to be viewed as a macho, but really, he could be Italian or anyone at all.

IMO he’s not military. LE have the suspects DNA and it was not a match stored in the CODIS database. (I believe prior service members without a criminal offenses can request their dna be removed from CODIS) imo
The military takes samples from everyone but they do not create profiles. They store the blood and cheek swap in frozen storage. If someone goes missing they will create a profile for comparision. If law enforcement wants to compare a SPECIFIC person's DNA, they will get a warrant and then a DNA profile is run for comparison. The key is that law enforcement must have a pretty good idea who they are looking for so they can request that in the warrant.

“There’s nothing to stop him from doing it again,” he said. “I believe, our investigators believe, he will do it again.”

Gahler declined to say whether investigators have asked the FBI to help locate the suspect using forensic genealogy, instead noting that Maryland has some privacy restrictions on use of the technique and taking a swipe at what he called Maryland’s “pro-criminal legislature.” He did however, say that detectives were using all methods available to them in the hunt for Morin’s killer.

Or it could simply be the victim said he is Hispanic. She would know that detail.

Yes, if she really knows him. In general, there are multitudes of different ethnic groups in LA, young dark-haired men, wearing Edgar, speaking with an accent (or not), who look Hispanic but are from very different cultures. Ethnic testing of DNA would immediately see the difference, us - no. I reserve my opinion because I know I can be mistaken. For me, lack of tattoos is interesting. They are popular among whites, blacks and Latino men. More cultural than any gang-affiliation. IMHO. The fact that he has none makes me think that he is from the family where it is frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia