Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't really strike me as inappropriate honestly.

They could have chosen their words more carefully, maybe...say something along the lines of "striking light blue eyes.'

Pretty sure it was emphasized because her eyes stood out, kind of the same way someone that maybe has fiery red hair or a tattoo that was memorable.

JMO
Disagree.
Her eyes stood out in specific edited photos.
And it seems weird that a reporter would comment on them. Aren't they supposed to stick to the facts? Are they going to call someone ugly...or with dull gray eyes?
What if the reporter said she had attractive b**bs? Or striking lips? Would that be ok?

The reporter seems to be sexualizing her.

AUG 6, 2023
The sheriff’s office sought information on Morin’s whereabouts in a series of social media posts Sunday morning ... and the body was ultimately found by a person who “stepped up to come out because of what they had seen on social media,” the sheriff said.

AUG 6, 2023
The sheriff’s office sought information on Morin’s whereabouts in a series of social media posts Sunday morning ... and the body was ultimately found by a person who “stepped up to come out because of what they had seen on social media,” the sheriff said.
The sheriff’s words make me think somebody might’ve (stupidly) bragged on social media about being involved in her disappearance and/or murder…if that is the case I’d expect (or hope) that law enforcement might have some suspicions about the perp(s) already.

I know LE have to have official confirmation it's Rachel by the medical examiner, but I find it strange she was missing about a day (or less) and they were not able to clearly say it is her. She wouldn't have decomposed that quickly, right? Could she have been mutilated or found without clothing (or other things that would have quickly identified her)? I hate even writing that.

Imo.

AUG 6, 2023
The Sheriff's Office is following up on tips, and they're looking for any information on Morin's travels to the trail. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Golden at 410-836-5430.

I know LE have to have official confirmation it's Rachel by the medical examiner, but I find it strange she was missing about a day (or less) and they were not able to clearly say it is her. She wouldn't have decomposed that quickly, right? Could she have been mutilated or found without clothing (or other things that would have quickly identified her)? I hate even writing that.

Imo.
That’s what I was wondering. If someone carved up her face too much to make ID or if all determinations have to come from medical examiner regardless. I thought she had some identifiable tattoos.

I completely understand that the investigation is ongoing but that press conference left me with more questions than answers. The bit about walking with buddies and whistles makes it sound like this was a random attack…so is there just a killer on the loose? I live 25 minutes away and I know people are feeling on edge.

RIP Rachel :(

The sheriff’s words make me think somebody might’ve (stupidly) bragged on social media about being involved in her disappearance and/or murder…if that is the case I’d expect (or hope) that law enforcement might have some suspicions about the perp(s) already.
My late father, an attorney, once told me that criminals are caught because they talk too much.

Of note: Her boyfriend has not been called a suspect, nor a person of interest.

Seems clear from his comments at the PC that the sheriff was talking about his own office’s Facebook and/or Twitter post that requested help in finding her, initially stated that she was last seen heading to the Ma and Pa trail, and was later updated to state that her car was found near the entrance to the trail—he specifically referenced that notice from his office and said it had over 11,000 shares. The implication seems to be that someone saw the notice and went to the trail to look for her and found her body.

Imo.

The sheriff never said they “were not able to clearly identify her.” He said that they “firmly believe” it’s her but that the “process” gives final say on that to the medical examiner. Then he said while that hasn’t happened yet, that he “will admit that standing here at the podium, that’s the way this is going to go.”

Seems clear that they had no issue with identifying her.

On the sheriff fb page, they stated there will be a press conference at 730 tonight.

I hike and walk a lot, and find it odd she’d go out at 600 pm. What time does it get dark? Who specifically did she tell she was going on a walk ? Who saw her clothes?

I have no idea whether it was odd for Rachel specifically, but it’s not at all odd for people to walk on that trail during the 6pm hour at this time of year. It’s light out until around 9pm and it’s not like the trail is in the middle of nowhere. It runs trough a populated area, starting from near (among other things) a brewery, food store and funeral home and to behind a couple of neighborhoods not far from a busy shopping area with several chain restaurants and big box stores.

See, e.g., MA & PA Heritage Trail Photos | TrailLink

Last edited:
I also hike and walk a lot. 6:00 PM didn't strike me as odd. This time of year I usually go out later because of the heat. Living in So Cal I at times have to wait until after 9 PM.

I have no idea whether it was odd for Rachel specifically, but it’s not at all odd for people to walk on that trail during the 6pm hour at this time of year. It’s light out until around 9pm and it’s not like the trail is in the middle of nowhere. It runs trough a populated area, starting from near (among other things) a brewery, food store and funeral home and to behind a couple of neighborhoods not far from a busy shopping area with several chain restaurants and big box stores.

See, e.g., MA & PA Heritage Trail Photos | TrailLink
Yes - it is not an odd time at all. Many people use this trail to exercise. I think a lot of people from out of state are envisioning an off-the-beaten path hiking trail but that’s not it. It’s a very popular running trail that people use to walk dogs, run, exercise, etc.

I completely understand that the investigation is ongoing but that press conference left me with more questions than answers. The bit about walking with buddies and whistles makes it sound like this was a random attack…so is there just a killer on the loose? I live 25 minutes away and I know people are feeling on edge.

RIP Rachel :(
Former Harford Countian here - Friends who use the trail have mentioned previously that there is a growing number of homeless people living between the Bypass (RT 24) and Tollgate road area. If that's true, it may have been a crime of opportunity. She was a petite, attractive female alone and there is a tunnel that goes under Rt 24 that may have offered the perp a darker place to surprise her. JMHO.

On the sheriff fb page, they stated there will be a press conference at 730 tonight.

I hike and walk a lot, and find it odd she’d go out at 600 pm. What time does it get dark? Who specifically did she tell she was going on a walk ? Who saw her clothes?

Bel Air is maybe 30-40 mins away from here. Last night here it got dark at 8:07 pm

Of note: Her boyfriend has not been called a suspect, nor a person of interest.

I usually get burned when I go this way, but I think he didn't have anything to do with it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member