Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there have been reports of what was used in relation to the homicide.

I am leaning more towards R being shot in the head or face and the rock being close to the body. "Matter" could easily be on the rock and a GSW could have caused the bleed out.

I even wonder if R could have run to the tunnels to hide from a creepy individual.

JMO

I know that there have been reports of what was used in relation to the homicide.

I am leaning more towards R being shot in the head or face and the rock being close to the body. "Matter" could easily be on the rock and a GSW could have caused the bleed out.

I even wonder if R could have run to the tunnels to hide from a creepy individual.

JMO
How would no one have heard the gunshot?

Did they find RM's phone? Most people going fora walk/jog at 6:30 would be done by 8pm, IMO.
unless they were training for a marathon or something

How long is the Ma and Pa Trail?

Currently, the trail consists of a 3.3-mile section in Bel Air and a 1.7-mile segment in Forest Hill.

MA PA Heritage Trail

https://www.mapatrail.org

Would she have normally just done the 3.3 and back (6.6 mi)? Or both sections (10 mi)?

I've lost track of the cases I've followed where the vic died from a gunshot or multiple, and no one heard a thing.
It's apparently rather common.

jmo
Outdoors on a public trail with businesses and condos around though? I know the times I've heard gunshots randomly (including a murder), it was an unmistakable sound heard from blocks away. Not saying it doesn't happen that sometimes people don't hear, but that would surprise me personally.

Outdoors on a public trail with businesses and condos around though? I know the times I've heard gunshots randomly (including a murder), it was an unmistakable sound heard from blocks away. Not saying it doesn't happen that sometimes people don't hear, but that would surprise me personally.

Any time I look at NextDoor there are hundreds of "did anyone hear that loud bang?" posts.

I’m feeling there is quiet for a reason. I can’t help feeling it’s someone close and LE is watching. I could totally be wrong. I know many feel it’s random but I’m not so sure. Jmo

I really really hope they’re watching somebody.

MOO I have horrible fears that law enforcement (by no fault of their own may I add) have literally no clue who actually did this.

I really hope I eat my own words and an arrest comes quickly.

Did they find RM's phone? Most people going fora walk/jog at 6:30 would be done by 8pm, IMO.

Currently, the trail consists of a 3.3-mile section in Bel Air and a 1.7-mile segment in Forest Hill.

MA PA Heritage Trail

Would she have normally just done the 3.3 and back (6.6 mi)? Or both sections (10 mi)?
The trail is only open dawn to dusk only, there's a sign I think saying exactly that, so I would think a regular user of the trail knows to be finished before the sun goes down.

Man, I must have had different experiences living next to a city, haha, it's such a distinct noise as compared to fireworks and such.

I definitely get that. I personally can tell the difference, but I'm in the suburbs now and most of these people have never heard a gunshot. I remember when I hung out in North Philly I'd hear gunshots every time I was there.

The trail is only open dawn to dusk only, there's a sign I think saying exactly that, so I would think a regular user of the trail knows to be finished before the sun goes down.
I am wondering if family/friends were looking for her around sunset... she was reported missing after 11 pm... so pretty late unless she typically stopped somewhere else- friends, store, etc.

Rachel Morin update: Missing Bel, Air, Maryland, woman ...

1692217927043.png
USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com › nation › 2023/08/10 › ra...

6 days ago — Morin, 37, was reported missing Saturday around 11:20 p.m. after her boyfriend said she failed to return from her walk. She ...

they are installing cameras

There was the killer's DNA on her body, right? Like I don't see how there wasn't. if there's no match to any databases (Md started collecting dna for convictions of violent crimes in 2008), that's odd.

I don't think they disclosed this did they? But, I certainly hope there was. I hope the perpetrator left something. I also hope she had an apple watch and if it was stolen that they can track it.

jmo

So it was reported RM fought like heck and went “unwillingly”. This is telling that she must have some DNA on her body in today’s age. I feel like LE could just be waiting on those results. I feel we should hear something in the days to follow as it was such an up and close homicide. They must have found something if this crime was as violent as has been reported. Jmo

I haven't seen this but I would imagine she would which begs the question "Which one of them picked up the rock first?"

jmo

IIRC there was at least one period of very heavy rain right after RM was located.

At this point, I don't have anything else to add except that I am beginning to doubt this murder was committed by what one would think of as the "usual suspect".

Bel Air is approximately 32 miles from Baltimore which has fairly high crime rate, as would be expected. Lots of violent crime, much fueled by the drug epidemic. [I.E. heroin, fentanyl, meth].
IMO it easily spills over into communities like Bel Air. I am not suggesting RM was involved in illicit activities of any kind. We have to keep an open mind and use a broad scope in these cases. It's logic. She may have come across knowledge of such an enterprise active in her community or even in her social circle. It's definitely a remote possibility at least.

{---Most of us have watched the news reporting this year alone about the chronic pharmacy shortages amounting to those with prescriptions not being able to get them filled. Pain killers such as hydrocodone and especially Adderall seem to be in the shortest supply. There are huge demands for these classes of medications on the streets. The Adderall shortage alone has caused havoc in the suburbs for "casual" users without scripts trying to obtain the pills. Extremely lucrative...}

The Colonel in the interviews posted above says he is not ruling out anyone from any of these areas and that many people from neighboring areas frequent the trail.

IMHO this woman's murder may be random after all. She may have been the victim of a "rock" attack, as in to disfigure her. :( However, that may not have been the weapon used to take her life. Despite rumors, we just don't know. Strangulation, many different ways. I don't want to think about them, yet engage in those thoughts.

The tunnel area below 24 seems really noisy from the traffic above. A gun would/could be used to subdue someone, sure. The distinctive noise it would make (if fired) would surely draw attention. Or may have been picked up on security cam audio from one or more of the homes that are very near the trail. As seen in maps of the area.

Sadly a knife may have been used to enable her killer to force her from the trail and complete their horrible act in/adjacent to the tunnel, lastly dragging her inside.

I understand after the initial 911 call was made by her bf (apparently around 11:23pm?) that police etc immediately began to search for her in the trail area. It's a bit concerning that she wasn't located that night although she was already gone from this life. At that point I guess she would have been considered to be endangered/missing. An adult can obviously go missing, even if it's entirely out-of-character.
We know that's not what happened here.

Let's also keep in mind that although many many people who have "pasts" they'd like to have erased on legal papers, it doesn't mean they don't or haven't changed. People make changes every single day. For better and some for worse. We will wait and find out. Hopefully sooner than it seems we may.

I am not sure if CTV links are allowed here. I will leave this as it seems to have aired about an hour ago. Excuse me if it's been posted. I find the timeline helpful to refocus myself.
snipped by me...
[ Premiered 111 minutes ] ago #CourtTV #maryland #rachel
Maryland mother of five Rachel Morin was reported missing on August 5 when she didn’t return from a walk on a hiking trail. Her body was found the next day. Very few details have been released about the investigation. #CourtTV breaks down the Hiking Mom Murder Case.

Justice for Rachel and thoughts for her children and the rest of her family.
Sincerest of condolences,
Chi
View attachment 441153

***ETA May this case not turn into one reminiscent of the sad Mollie Tibbetts case. {{I in no way mean to say this involves an immigrant, etc.}} Her case was another one that just broke my heart. If you weren't familiar with her murder while jogging, here's a link Murder of Mollie Tibbetts - Wikipedia

She was found Sunday afternoon. Strong storms on Monday. Hopefully they finished processing the scene before this.

"Strong storms blasted a path of damage through central Maryland late this afternoon. A tree fell onto a home along Glendale Road in Bel Air."

"In Bel Air, a tree crashed into a townhouse. Two people were trapped and one person was taken to the hospital, officials said."

Some of my take aways from the Chief Deputy's interview. Violent death, asking for tips and specifically mentioned anyone having a grudge against Rachel, boyfriend being very cooperative with interviews. Media "star" was not at the crime scene and never saw the crime scene.

JMO

Okay so I just watched this (TY for posting this). The thing that stood out to me was how he went through such pains in his social media statement to say the violence of the scene initially recounted by the person interviewed was not true and then later with the Court TV anchor confirms it was violent. I understand the need to keep things under wraps but imo, he is the one who keeps raising the issue of this father, thereby bringing it back to the forefront each time. And, this father has had a lot of accusations thrown his way as I understand it and that's just wrong imo. In short, I think he would be better served to let that narrative fade away instead of bringing up each time he speaks - and so would that father.

This is jmo.

MA PA Heritage Trail

According to this article the two trails are not yet connected.

4/25/2022

[…]

Harford County is one step closer to connecting the Fallston and Forest Hill sections of its popular Ma & Pa Heritage Trail.

County officials on Saturday cut the ribbon on a 1.2-mile segment through downtown Bel Air between the Williams Street trailhead and a new parking lot at North Avenue. The Bel Air segment extends the existing Fallston section of the trail that begins at Annie’s Playground to a total of 4.5 miles.

A final 1.6-mile segment between North Avenue and Friends Park in Forest Hill is expected to be finished sometime in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CattarinaPoe