MD MD - Sr. Catherine Cesnik, 26, Baltimore, 7 Nov 1969 "The Keepers"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thinking about that, Sr. Russell would have known about Maskell and Magnus coming in the night before and threatening them. She was there. She was her roommate and the killers and Maskell might understandably think she would have confided in Sr. Russell. That would make Russell a huge threat. They would have to do something to guarantee that she wouldn't talk.

Also, I wish we could figure out who Brother Bob was. Was he a police officer? What was Maskell's brother's name that was on the police force?

Thinking about that, Sr. Russell would have known about Maskell and Magnus coming in the night before and threatening them. She was there. She was her roommate and the killers and Maskell might understandably think she would have confided in Sr. Russell. That would make Russell a huge threat. They would have to do something to guarantee that she wouldn't talk.

Also, I wish we could figure out who Brother Bob was. Was he a police officer? What was Maskell's brother's name that was on the police force?

I don't remember his brother's name, but I sure would like to know who Brother Bob was. I also think Sr. Russell knew a whole lot more than she let on.

I believe Koob did it for whatever reason (usually the lover is the first suspect). I find it a little odd how instead of calling the police, Koob etc. prayed together.

The fact that Jane Doe came forward in the early nineties and that this opened a floodgate for other victims is a reason I believe her. She was the first to come forward and there was apparently rampant abuse going on. I think that the repressed memory is possible but it's more likely that she remembered all along but tried to forget. As she grew older, she wanted justice and wished to take a stand because she couldn't live with the secret any longer. Saying she repressed it is easier than telling family she kept it secret. Many Catholics live with guilt that eats them alive even when not warranted. When traumatic events happen, we try to forget in order to move on. As time goes by, the details CAN be forgotten, but the main event is still generally etched.

I too find Jane Roe incredibly believable. Koob seems like an intelligent man with a LOT on his mind. When his wife teared up and said, "The truth shall set you free...I've been with him for 34 years and I don't think he was involved..." made me pause and wonder if she suspects him a little but hopes she's wrong.

I think Koob loved her and I bet Cathy was going to leave the convent and marry him. I don't see a motive for him. I do think that newspaper story about the cop makes no sense. I would like to have him explain what the heck he meant by that. Maybe we are misunderstanding what he means by it. I don't know. I do think the police would do something cruel though, like showing a photo of her on the autopsy table or something. So maybe that's what he meant...I don't know.

I still think Jane Doe may have been drugged during some of these incidents and that's part of her memory problem. The woman who was doing the typing for Maskell said she cannot remember a great deal of what went on when she was in there. He would always give her a coca cola apparently, so he probably put something in it. Remember when Jane Doe said she came out of the office to go back to class and was out of it and confused and could not remember where she was supposed to be? That's when Cathy approached her--she knew something was wrong. Drugging combined with the trauma could cause this fuzziness about all of it. Maskell probably hoped it would make them completely forget what happened or be so uncertain that they could not put it together cohesively. He was a snake.

I don't understand what makes someone become like that, and how other men could participate. But if you listen to that podcast I mentioned called Casefile, the episode called "The Catholic Mafia", things were very similar in how it all operated, including the police. It is so hard to believe, but unfortunately, I do believe it.

Thank you for doing that! Have you reached out to the two sleuths who run the Facebook page for sister Cathy? I keep expecting them to show up here. I think they would find themselves quite at home.

The above is just my opinion.

No, but that's a good idea. Thanks.

I just finished The Keepers the other day. Didn't even think to come here. What is frustrating is it has been so long, key players are dying. I am sad that we might never have justice for Sister Cathy and what about Joyce Malecki.
I believe Gary, maybe he knows more. Why is he not speaking about it after all these years, I don't know. But to meet his future wife and instantly talk about Sr Cathy, I can't believe one who would murder someone would talk about her, and bring her up in conversations.

Right from the start I figured it had to be someone who lived in that area, that is why her car turned up there. I think it could of been the neighboro, along with his friend skippy. But then Edgar put me through a loop, because why would he keep putting himself in the case, with the phone call to the radio show, and seriously who drives with both feet. I have never heard of that, was that known back in those days.

But that wouldn't play in the Jane Doe seeing Sr Cathy body, because how would Maskell know she was there. I think that Maskell was a monster. I can also see Jane Doe scared to go to the police.

Do you guys think there is a connection betweem Joyce and Sr Cathy?

I finally feel that the emotionally that is extremely present cvs in case discussion on the Keepers facebook page could be tempered here with a different approach. My concern is the twig that was found in the ignition of sister Cathy,s car. I want to Knoxville this be a calling card for a serial killer. Was search done for other . Murders with a similar M O even up to 20 years! Beforeor after this crime. We all know serial killer
S go dormant foryears to have fAmilies, Tec. The twig isodd to me.

RSBM. I'm not sure, but it smells like a cover-up too. It's not like her brothers just let her go without trying. Something's up there.

I thought the documentary did not do a good job connecting the dots between these two cases. Throughout, I was waiting for them to make the connection between her death, Sister Cathy's death, and the sexual abuse, but it never happened. And I also thought perhaps they were trying to show us a potential common denominator between the by perhaps hinting at a cover-up in both cases.

With none of these connections being made, at the end of the episodes, I just figured that maybe they brought the Joyce Malecki story in because they perhaps will spin it it to a second season.

The above is just my opinion.

I just finished The Keepers the other day. Didn't even think to come here. What is frustrating is it has been so long, key players are dying. I am sad that we might never have justice for Sister Cathy and what about Joyce Malecki.
I believe Gary, maybe he knows more. Why is he not speaking about it after all these years, I don't know. But to meet his future wife and instantly talk about Sr Cathy, I can't believe one who would murder someone would talk about her, and bring her up in conversations.

Right from the start I figured it had to be someone who lived in that area, that is why her car turned up there. I think it could of been the neighboro, along with his friend skippy. But then Edgar put me through a loop, because why would he keep putting himself in the case, with the phone call to the radio show, and seriously who drives with both feet. I have never heard of that, was that known back in those days.

But that wouldn't play in the Jane Doe seeing Sr Cathy body, because how would Maskell know she was there. I think that Maskell was a monster. I can also see Jane Doe scared to go to the police.

Personally, no. I believe Sr. Cathy was killed for a very specific reason, totally and completely separate from the motive for Joyce Malecki's murder. May they both rest in peace. JMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I believe Maskell would know where the body was because it wasn't a one-man job. The whole pedophile ring was probably involved, including Magnus. I've read that even some nuns were involved in the abuse. If Cathy was going to blow the whistle, it wouldn't just be Maskell getting exposed - it would have a domino effect on all of them.

We already know he had links to people in LE and others in high places. I don't think he killed her himself, but he was involved. Also, I think he'd certainly risk showing Jean the body if he felt protected by his circle of powerful friends. But that's of course, just my opinion.

Do we know if any of the women who came forward in the 90s, including Janes Doe and Roe, had regression therapy? I'm trying to get a sense of how many women remembered the abuse from the beginning, how many remembered spontaneously, and how many sought therapy to help them remember.

Noob here! Just finished the show and I gotta say that the two amateur detectives made a lot of claims based off of speculation and innuendo without much understanding of murders and the types of people who commit them.

Malecki MO involved ligature and a stab wound and she was dumped in a river to hide evidence, you would assume this was an organized killer who was not doing this for the first time, or had graduated from successful rapes/peeping tom...etc to murder.(or perhaps had been arrested and imprisoned for rape in the past and had decided to no longer have to worry about witnesses) From all the information I could find her body didn't suffer any rage trauma like bite marks, overkill wounds or the like, plus the signature of being bound seems to jibe with other murders that followed over the next few years.

Sister Cathy was found unbound, beaten so severely that she had a near baseball size hole in her head, other rage trauma type wounds and was posed. Cigarette butts left around, car returned with evidence on it. This seems to match the psychology of someone who had some sort of relationship with her, real or imagined and was lashing out due to rejection in a very "spur of the moment" rage/disorganized manner.(Ted Bundy for example killed lots of women who resembled an old girlfriend in a rage manner some say as a way to get even over and over again) This does not match the Malecki situation at all, it is 2 different psychologies completely.

The only other thing that fits is if she was grabbed by a sexual predator and he was unable to perform and she laughed at him or something causing him to lose control... but one would still expect such a killer to still stick to the program of dumping the body in water to hide evidence and use ligatures.

Recovered memories exist, BUT they can easily be confused for dreams or emotions. Jane Doe was most definitely abused by Maskell, and because she knew Sister Cathy, she may have felt guilty that she might have somehow been responsible and remembered those feelings rather than actually visiting the crime scene. The maggots prove nothing more than she describes what the avg person would probably imagine a dead body in the woods to be like. (notice she didn't mention any smells, the sense of smell is the one with the strongest link to memory, I would have expected her to mention the smell of decay before she even saw the body itself)

NOW, let us also consider the psychology of pedophiles. They tend to be pretty passive towards adults in fact many are so passive as there are some thoughts that they turn to children as they are the only people they feel power over. Tho many pedophiles have killed children, they tend to do this to avoid capture (barring the odd pedo-sadist like say Dean Corrl or Chikatilo) or to fulfill some sexual need. (not to mention these types usually have to kidnap kids to have access to them and thus dispose of them quickly) A pedophile with not just ready access to students but also the knowledge that the Church probably wouldn't have him arrested but would rather just transfer again is not going to risk his honey pot, his career and his freedom killing or having a nun killed. He knows all that would happen if she DID speak up is he would get sent off somewhere else to be an awful human being. Plus after so much time and her at another school, I don't think he would have been in panic mode any more. I find the story by, anonymous, to be impossible to believe as it doesn't match the intelligent, cunning, sneaky guy described by everyone else. He would never make such a loud show about his behavior or threats to other adults. He'd say nothing and act, if he was going to act at all. I am of the opinion that this "memory" is an attempt by a justifiably angry, victim trying to throw the book at the criminal who abused her. Frankly, I don't blame her.

Now to the conspiracy angle. Was there a conspiracy to molest kids? It appears there was tho the extent mentioned in the doc is probably exaggerated (as I said, many recovered memories can be emotions of events rather than events themselves) I have a hard time believing that half the police force and the politicians were all buggering kids without anyone talking. But I think there is sufficient evidence to say that there were probably 3 or more people involved. Did this conspiracy involve Cathy's murder? I don't think so.

The type of murder it was might sorta match Maskell if he had confronted her somewhere he could control and killed her out of anger and then freaked out and dumped the body. But the only place he could have done that was her apartment based on her travels that night as it seems unlikely he would waste his time following her around all night and risk being seen clobbering her in the head after a public argument. The areas around her apt (and the apt itself) had no blood (and there would have been a lot of blood, and what about Russel?) Plus Maskell's DNA didn't match. "Oh Ho!" you say, he got someone else to do it! Well,could be, but the rage involved with her death doesn't seem to match a killer for hire. Most would just use a gun or knife and get it done quick and easy and not take such a huge risk either sexually assaulting her, bashing her in the head and then posing her body. Those are all psychological needs that a sexual killer has to go through for the act to be complete. Revenge killing might show such trauma, but you'd expect that to be done by the one seeking revenge (and there'd be DNA all over the place) and you'd expect to find a badly beaten or stabbed or wtvr body, but not one with the shirt pulled down and the skirt up . That's the signature. Malecki's was the ligature, Sister Cathy's was the posing it's all pathological behavior.

IMO, of the named suspects, the Billy guy seems to match the Cathy murder the best. He knew her, was odd,had a hangup about nuns (or may have had a hangup on Cathy and expressed it after her death with nuns), might have been confused about his sexuality . He may have followed her and made a move and when rejected, he snapped and killed her. Then he called his brother to help and the story told by the nephew was simply jumbled and wrong. Not to mention the car being back makes the most sense if he is the killer.

Could be the other Uncle guy too, but probably someone that was arrested for either another murder or something else and died in prison, never telling his secret. I don't think the sexual abuse and the murders were connected in any way, I think it was just a coincidence.

As someone above wrote, Occam's Razor applies, and too many things don't add up for me to buy into Maskell killing her directly or indirectly.

BTW, that old Asst D.A. should be in prison, what she did was disgraceful

Here's my take after watching The Keepers:
* I don't think Koob murdered Cathy, but it is possible he knows more than he's saying.
* Edgar came off as very odd to me when he was interviewed. I don't know if that's because he was involved in the murder or if he's a little slow. The fact that he was in possession of Cathy's necklace is just hinky...
* I do 100% agree that Jane Doe and the many others who came forward, were sexually abused by Maskell. Why they waited so many years to come forward is still a mystery to me, though.
* Maskell could have been the murderer. Cathy was going to blow the whistle on Maskell's inappropriate behavior. She was killed to silence her. I don't think he acted alone, though. LE is covering up a lot of stuff as well as the archdiocese.

IMO

I found the part where Koob described the vagina wrapped in newspaper incredibly bizarre and alarming. I do not find it believable in the least. But for some reason, he doesn't strike me as a killer. So, I am concerned about his statement, but don't suspect him. It's weird.

Surprised there aren't more posts here.

I think Maskell absolutely set up the murder to silence Cathy, but I don't think he was the one who actually killed her. Agree that LE and the Archdiocese are covering a LOT up.

Joyce-she was found in the water, hands tied, throat cut. My first thought was that she was almost like water boarded in the stream~tortured during questioning. Then when the interrogator(s) finished, they cut her throat and dumped her. The overkill sent a definite message to others to shut up. My opinion is someone saw her in the wrong place & wrong time, wanted to know what she saw, and killed her anyway.

She lived just blocks from the priest.
Sad horrible story all around.

If I'm wrong in my recollection about her death-let me know-I'll delete this thought.

Any thoughts?

Gerry Koob seemed incredibly sincere to me. I do believe that he loved Cathy and is still devastated over her death, even after all these years. His eyes looked so honest and had so much pain behind them. He and Cathy may have been having a sexual relationship, but he probably would have felt like he had to protect her memory/integrity by not revealing it. Either that or her letter was pure fantasy. She may have been acknowledging her love and lust for Koob, without ever having acted on it.

I also believe that it's entirely believable that she didn't tell Koob about the sexual allegations, because she didn't even tell her family about them when she went home for her last visit. Priests and nuns generally keep confidences in a different way than the rest of us do.

The story about the vagina was indeed bizarre, but I believe Koob. The police were either corrupt or they were using repulsive tactics to try to get him to confess. Either way, they wanted to intimidate him. Most likely, the police officer used something that resembled a vagina for his disgusting stunt. It's too crazy for Koob to make up.

As far as Koob's alibi. I think the other priest misspoke when he gave a comment to the newspaper about driving from the wrong place; or the newspaper printed it wrong. He and Koob were obviously together that night, because they had the ticket stubs, restaurant receipt, AND passed the lie detector test.

Honestly, when the episode started to focus on Koob as a suspect, I instantly thought, "Don't go there!" My gut told me that he was completely innocent. The only reason the newspaper man acted suspicious of him was because of something a police officer said to him. Obviously, LE immediately goes to the love interest as the first suspect, so they didn't want to let that go -- either because the police officer who wanted Koob charged was trying to deflect from the real culprit or because he wanted an easy answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back