MD - Tech tycoon's Annapolis mansion destroyed by fire and 6 missing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Though they do not suspect foul play in the massive four-alarm fire that erupted in a south Annapolis mansion Monday morning, Anne Arundel County fire officials said they will continue to investigate the incident as a crime scene until they have more information.

At a press conference outside iron gates leading to the property Tuesday morning, a group of about two dozen journalists gathered to receive an update on the residents, Don and Sandra Pyle.
For the first time, the agency confirmed they were trying to identify the whereabouts of two adults and four children who may have been inside the home during the fire.

But officials said because of the size of the 16,000 square-foot house and the amount of debris that collapsed into the basement, it will be a long road ahead finishing the investigation.

“It will be days, not hours, to get this done,” said Capt. Russ Davies, a fire department spokesman.
Davies said they are considering bringing in cadaver-sniffing canines and possibly canines trained to detect explosives excellerants. (Really people? How about: accelerant?)

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...outside-of-annapolis-20150119,0,1919234.story

BBM

Surely a house this size and cost would have sec. cams ??

If there were intruders---wouldn't LE release that info ?
If it is suspected this was an inside job.. maybe LE is keeping it under wraps ; so as not to tip off the suspects.
Doesn't seem like an accident. But then I've not studied fires at all.
<modsnip>

Just thinking out loud.

Rest in peace to the deceased ! What a terrible way to go !! :(

:moo:

I wonder if security cameras would survive a fire of this magnitude.

The first reports had me thinking that it was some sort of suicide/murder (there seem to have been a number similar) but now that I know that it was grandparents and grandchildren and that there was no sprinkler system I'm leaning towards a tragic accident. How horrible for the one(s) who lost both their parents and their children.

On Monday, authorities said they were told that the Pyle family was preparing to go on a trip and might be out of town. But investigators were not able to reach them by cellphone and have spoken with relatives who could not reach them, either.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2f3d88-a0a7-11e4-903f-9f2faf7cd9fe_story.html

Donald Pyle is chief operating officer of ScienceLogic, a Reston-based cybersecurity company that monitors networks for government and private clients.

Donald Pyle is chief operating officer of ScienceLogic, a Reston-based cybersecurity company that monitors networks for private and government *clients, including the Pentagon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3945fa-a014-11e4-903f-9f2faf7cd9fe_story.html

The company last year announced a partnership with L-3 Data *Tactics of McLean to bring “big data” monitoring to the U.S. intelligence community and federal government.

I wonder if security cameras would survive a fire of this magnitude...
sbm

IIRC, MrP is/was COO of company w cloud storage services.
Is it poss his vid surv system would upload data to cloud and w/still be available?
But then again, we know about the cobbler's children going barefoot.

FWIW, linked vid http://abcnews.go.com/US/mystery-surrounds-maryland-mansion-fire/story?id=28344561
shows reporter at home's front gate w signs warning of guard dogs and video surveillance.

Were there dogs outside? IIRC, from MSM (no link) today or last night, a fire official said the gate was always open.
If dogs were outside - not penned or leashed - w/they stay around w commotion of fire, LE and FD (ETA: you know I didn't mean LE & LE)?

sbm

IIRC, MrP is/was COO of company w cloud storage services.
Is it poss his vid surv system would upload data to cloud and w/still be available?
But then again, we know about the cobbler's children going barefoot.

FWIW, linked vid http://abcnews.go.com/US/mystery-surrounds-maryland-mansion-fire/story?id=28344561
shows reporter at home's front gate w signs warning of guard dogs and video surveillance.

Were there dogs outside? IIRC, from MSM (no link) today or last night, a fire official said the gate was always open.
If dogs were outside - not penned or leashed - w/they stay around w commotion of fire, LE and LE?

iirc there were no dogs. just a sign. :)

My response is bring the canine sniffing dogs in now. Check immediately for the bodies and for accelerants. The parents of these children need an answer!

Wonder if there were any signs of cars that had been parked in the driveway? Burned, but perhaps they could gather a little information.

Still curious where the two sons were that lived in that house too? Apparently they were not home, why?

They may never find the bodies... it's happened before. :tears:

Terrible tragedy. I have been thinking about it...but there are just so many missing details. The sons lived there but werent sleeping there that night.

It was a Sunday night, but the grandchildren were sleeping there, not with their families although there was school in the AM.

All the children had another last name, the same last name...but One report indicates that they were from two different families.

Initially, there seemed to be confusion about whether they had all left on a trip, but wouldn't the parents know IMMEDIATELY that their children had been sleeping on that house?

It's hard to imagine that even with no sprinklers that smoke alarms wouldn't have awakened somebody.

And the devastation....the whole huge house just burnt to rubble....every part of it.

Lots of unanswered questions...but my heart breaks for all involved.

My response is bring the canine sniffing dogs in now. Check immediately for the bodies and for accelerants. The parents of these children need an answer!

Wonder if there were any signs of cars that had been parked in the driveway? Burned, but perhaps they could gather a little information.

Still curious where the two sons were that lived in that house too? Apparently they were not home, why?
SABBM

Everyone is probably wondering that. Maybe Annapolis is a tightly closed community and very private about events in the news ?
I'd imagine that in some cities reporters could talk to everyone and no one would say a thing. just not cooperate ?
Not much info. out there other that what's been initially reported.
:moo:

I am guessing both families were taking a prolonged weekend outside the city, leaving the children with the grandparents. Nothing unusual to me.

Terrible tragedy it is so sad so many have lost their lives including children. My immediate thought was that a log fire was not put out properly like the fire which killed the grandparents and grandchildren in a house a few years ago. It could be a gas explosion or electrical fault as well. It is a terrible shame there was no sprinkler system and the house was surrounded by water. I hope all the remains are recovered and they find out how the fire started. I am sure they will know after an investigation has taken place it may take some time though.

In other cases bodies were not found in MUCH smaller houses.
I am not optimistic that in a 16,000 square foot house... they will find the bodies.
Just imagine the massive rubble they will have to sort through.
Likely without the advantage of knowing for sure where everyone would be sleeping.
It seems like a very lengthy if not impossible task. :twocents:

Cars filled the driveway at the address listed for.... the parents of two of the children, about a 15-minute drive from the Pyle mansion.
The Pyles were family-oriented, with children often running around the property, Wugofski said. The couple bought each of their sons a home in a nearby neighborhood, she added.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0be2e8-a0d4-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html

I can't remember which news article stated that two adult sons were living at the home but it doesn't seem true. I'm sure the neighbors would have said if there were more people, besides the owners, living there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back