MD - Tech tycoon's Annapolis mansion destroyed by fire and 6 missing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In some instances I'd agree...but not in this one. There's no way this guy committed suicide. He just signed on with ScienceLogic a few months ago becoming COO plus was on the BOD. I'm pretty sure he had a great salary. I can't predict how it'll be reported but I'd for one never believe it was suicide.

The thing that most interests me regarding this case is how ironic it is that the CyberCaliphate hacker that hijacked one of CENTCOM's official Twitter accounts while Obama was addressing cyber security was done 2 weeks prior to the burning of Pyle's mansion...Pyle being a cyber security expert. Nothing not already public was acquired and shared, however, several DOD docs & info was released regarding retired personnel & their addresses etc. Pyle worked for companies with major DOD contracts. He had a high level government clearance.

ATM I believe if this wasn't a true accidental fire, then he was targeted. The tech companies he's worked for are worldwide. He could very easily have become a target and I find that freaking sad. Conspiracy theories aside, how coincidental that a cyber security expert should perish in a fire along with his wife and 4 grandchildren just two weeks after a cyber security breach by an ISIS sympathizer... I don't believe in coincidences. I'm very much hoping this was a true accident. The ATF showing up almost right away on a personal private home kind of cinches what I'm thinking.

I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet in this thread so it dawned on me some may not be aware of what happened a couple weeks ago. Here's a link to a good article on CENTCOM's social media being compromised. It's important to note that CENTCOM itself wasn't compromised, only their social media. From what I understand these idiots didn't gain anything pertinent. They're just trying to frighten everyone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/01/12/the-centcom-hack-that-wasnt/

Nothing would surprise me. You know one thing to remember when people have homes on the water like that is you can have all the security at the gate/fence, as long as you can be approached by water you better have damn good security. I am thinking it was an accident, waiting for the cause to be announced if they ever find one. Years ago my brother-in-law fell asleep with the stove on and when my sister arrived home and opened the door the neighbors said black smoke came pouring out the front door. He was unconscious on the couch where he fell sleep, she drug him outside were he coughed/hacked himself conscious again. I wondered if they died from smoke inhalation.such a sad story.

Nothing would surprise me. You know one thing to remember when people have homes on the water like that is you can have all the security at the gate/fence, as long as you can be approached by water you better have damn good security. I am thinking it was an accident, waiting for the cause to be announced if they ever find one. Years ago my brother-in-law fell asleep with the stove on and when my sister arrived home and opened the door the neighbors said black smoke came pouring out the front door. He was unconscious on the couch where he fell sleep, she drug him outside were he coughed/hacked himself conscious again. I wondered if they died from smoke inhalation.such a sad story.

Very sad story. Glad your BIL survived omgosh how scary! Yes, you're right, plus something else - they lived surrounded by water on 3 sides. Could that have factored in with why they didn't have a sprinkler system in the home? For some strange reason I wonder if they had a sprinkler system for their lawn. 16,000 sq ft is alot of oxygen to fuel that fire. That house could have been engulfed throughout its entirety within minutes with all that oxygen!

In May of 2014 Darrin Campbell set his (rented) Tampa million dollar home on fire after he killed his wife and children, then killed himself. During the investigation it was found he had recently bought $650 worth of fireworks. The investigation also revealed his finances were in dire straits, and he had previously had a settlement levied against him - IIRC it was approximately $750,000, which was about what he sold his previous residence for prior to renting the mansion that burned to the ground. No one ever thought he would do something like that, and he was well liked in the community. Here is a link about that case:

May 14, 2014 · TAMPA — To neighbors and acquaintances, Darrin Campbell was the picture of unassuming prosperity, a businessman whose only apparent fault was a touch of ...

www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/avila-killer-at...

I truly hope and pray the similarities between these two fires are purely coincidental, but until the investigation is complete, and the information made public, I will consider that anything is possible. My sympathy to the families of all who perished in the fire - mothers, fathers, adult children - all. Their grief must be overwhelming and incomprehensible.

The Boone and Pyle families released a statement Thursday morning about the fire at the home on Childs Point Road in Annapolis:

"On behalf of the Boone and Pyle families, we wish to express our gratitude and appreciation for the love and support being shared with us during this tragic event. We are blessed that so many family, friends, and neighbors have come together for us in our time of need.

"We recognize the dedicated efforts from Anne Arundel County Fire and Police Departments, the Naval Academy, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, and other first responders. We want our community to know how proud we are of all who have helped us.

"Our love for our family is boundless. Our loss demands time and quiet reflection to process these feelings. We ask that you respect our need for privacy.

"Life is fragile. Make time today to embrace your loved ones."
http://touch.capitalgazette.com/#section/6915/article/p2p-82599942/

The Boone and Pyle families released a statement Thursday morning about the fire at the home on Childs Point Road in Annapolis:

"On behalf of the Boone and Pyle families, we wish to express our gratitude and appreciation for the love and support being shared with us during this tragic event. We are blessed that so many family, friends, and neighbors have come together for us in our time of need.

"We recognize the dedicated efforts from Anne Arundel County Fire and Police Departments, the Naval Academy, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, and other first responders. We want our community to know how proud we are of all who have helped us.

"Our love for our family is boundless. Our loss demands time and quiet reflection to process these feelings. We ask that you respect our need for privacy.

"Life is fragile. Make time today to embrace your loved ones."
http://touch.capitalgazette.com/#section/6915/article/p2p-82599942/

Holy cow. Wow! Some personal reflection as I sit here now with a smile that 10 minuted ago was a scowl. You see, I checked my son's grades on PowerSchool... He's always gotten A's, recently gotten a B, but I just checked and he has 4 0s in Honors Math bc he didn't hand in homework, a D on homework in Language Arts on Tues, and a 0 in his Computer class for failing to transmit his data to his teacher. He did just get an A on his Honors Science Fair project and I've just been told he's going to the county level next. He still has all A's for final grades albeit a B in Sci. I was livid a few minutes ago because of his 0s for not handing in homework for Math. He has a 95 in that class still, but I was mad bc he's lied to me since Christmas break that he hasn't had homework as he's done it all in school. You see, we bought him a PS4 for Christmas! That's where his little mind is lol. I looked at his grades, went straight to his room & took his PS4, games, controller and shut off the data for his iPhone (even though he'd still be able to use it in a wireless hotspot). I take school serious and those 0s in homework really peed me off. Well I logged back in and read this and man oh man it puts it into perspective for me. This is the first time my son has done something like this. It's trivial - I know. Plus he still has good grades. I could care less if he had all Bs & Cs as long as he did his best but not doing homework & lying to me made me see red. So coming back here to read the Boone & Pyle family statement truly made me see how trivial it is in the bigger scheme of life. How true it is that life is very fragile and I will most certainly be hugging & kissing my babycakes when he gets done school today. I'm putting his PS4 back in his room right now and giving him a chance to show he can be responsible again. The marking period ends tomorrow so fresh start. Hope I didn't bore anyone with this but wow how crazy that their statement honestly smacked me in the face at the exact precise time that I needed a quick dose of reality! Trust me, I needed that. No need to go overboard.

My heart goes out to this family. I'll hug & kiss my boy as soon as school's out...might even play that stupid Destiny game with him lololol! XOXOX

After reading the above ^^^^ post on the statement from the family, I literally have chills!

Jersey*Girl thank you for the posts giving us information on outside companies and how that might interconnect with a reason why Mr. Pyle might be targeted. From the beginning without knowing the nature of his business, I felt this was a hit. The house went up too fast, all at the same time, and did not have the spread factor that a regular fire would have. IMO. Also, the way no information has been given out is suspicious.

With water on three sides, it brings back the horrible murder and beheading of Shirley and Russell Drummond outside of Atlanta back in the spring. That case has not been solved.

I cannot accept the fact it was suicide. If he was going to commit suicide in this manner, it would not have been with four grandchildren in the house. IMO.

Hoping beyond all hope this was an honest to goodness freak accident. :angel:

1&2&3 - I see you viewpoint re: being targeted. At this time, I truly have no clue, but do pray that it was nothing more malevolent than an accident of some sort. Prayers to the families of those who died, especially prayers for the parents who lost children. Its always a tragedy when parents outlive their children, but such an unspeakable one to lose them in this manner.

Holy cow. Wow! Some personal reflection as I sit here now with a smile that 10 minuted ago was a scowl. You see, I checked my son's grades on PowerSchool... He's always gotten A's, recently gotten a B, but I just checked and he has 4 0s in Honors Math bc he didn't hand in homework, a D on homework in Language Arts on Tues, and a 0 in his Computer class for failing to transmit his data to his teacher. He did just get an A on his Honors Science Fair project and I've just been told he's going to the county level next. He still has all A's for final grades albeit a B in Sci. I was livid a few minutes ago because of his 0s for not handing in homework for Math. He has a 95 in that class still, but I was mad bc he's lied to me since Christmas break that he hasn't had homework as he's done it all in school. You see, we bought him a PS4 for Christmas! That's where his little mind is lol. I looked at his grades, went straight to his room & took his PS4, games, controller and shut off the data for his iPhone (even though he'd still be able to use it in a wireless hotspot). I take school serious and those 0s in homework really peed me off. Well I logged back in and read this and man oh man it puts it into perspective for me. This is the first time my son has done something like this. It's trivial - I know. Plus he still has good grades. I could care less if he had all Bs & Cs as long as he did his best but not doing homework & lying to me made me see red. So coming back here to read the Boone & Pyle family statement truly made me see how trivial it is in the bigger scheme of life. How true it is that life is very fragile and I will most certainly be hugging & kissing my babycakes when he gets done school today. I'm putting his PS4 back in his room right now and giving him a chance to show he can be responsible again. The marking period ends tomorrow so fresh start. Hope I didn't bore anyone with this but wow how crazy that their statement honestly smacked me in the face at the exact precise time that I needed a quick dose of reality! Trust me, I needed that. No need to go overboard.

My heart goes out to this family. I'll hug & kiss my boy as soon as school's out...might even play that stupid Destiny game with him lololol! XOXOX
Sounds a lot like my DS. He started to not turn stuff in around grade 7 (also a big gamer) and we've been through the ringer with him since then. BUT he is a senior this year, about to turn 18, and has turned things around. He will be taking only 2 classes next semester, he has a job that he loves and a GF. He's working hard to save money to buy a car and he plans to go to CC in the fall. I so hear you and the Boone family's statement above about embracing your loved ones now while you can. I cannot imagine the grief they must be feeling and am amazed at their stoicism and composure during such a horrible trying time. My heart goes out to them.

In May of 2014 Darrin Campbell set his (rented) Tampa million dollar home on fire after he killed his wife and children, then killed himself. During the investigation it was found he had recently bought $650 worth of fireworks. The investigation also revealed his finances were in dire straits, and he had previously had a settlement levied against him - IIRC it was approximately $750,000, which was about what he sold his previous residence for prior to renting the mansion that burned to the ground. No one ever thought he would do something like that, and he was well liked in the community. Here is a link about that case:

May 14, 2014 · TAMPA — To neighbors and acquaintances, Darrin Campbell was the picture of unassuming prosperity, a businessman whose only apparent fault was a touch of ...

I truly hope and pray the similarities between these two fires are purely coincidental, but until the investigation is complete, and the information made public, I will consider that anything is possible. My sympathy to the families of all who perished in the fire - mothers, fathers, adult children - all. Their grief must be overwhelming and incomprehensible.

Yes, I noticed the similarities between the cases. Incomprehensible is a good word to describe it. So unfortunate and tragic no matter the cause.

http://m.wbaltv.com/news/excavating-begins-after-annapolis-mansion-fire/30844156

2 bodies found in remains of Annapolis mansion fire
Published On: Jan 21 2015 03:36:39 PM EST
Updated On: Jan 22 2015 03:15:20 PM EST

An expert said that due to the intensity of the fire, it will likely take weeks to positively identify suspected remains found in the debris. The search for the four other missing people will take time, too.

"They're going through a meticulous process. There are a lot of heavy materials from the house. As has been described previously, this isn't built like a typical residential house. This is built more like a commercial structure," Davies said. "So, it's a time-consuming process that they're going through right now."

Aerial video of the fire scene shows a big operation as delicate as it large. Guided by a specially-trained dog, the priority is to find remains of victims. The focus is the basement of the house, to which three floors collapsed. Debris must be sifted in small amounts at a time.

Still recognizable are two cars that had been left in the garage. Also in the basement, what appears to be a rack of electronic components. Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives focused there Wednesday, removing the cover of one piece of equipment. The house was described by neighbors as a smart house. Investigators will have to hope something can be retrieved from a hard drive or surveillance equipment that can help answer how the fire started and why it spread so fast.

As is protocol, investigators are treating the house as a crime scene until they know more details about how the fire started. Crews remained at the scene overnight for security purposes.

ETA: Comments after the article explain their smoke detector / alarm system...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...e81394-a23c-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html

By Lynh Bui and Dana Hedgpeth January 22 at 1:05 PM

The statement confirmed that fire officials have been searching for Don and Sandra Pyle along with their grandchildren: Alexis (Lexi) Boone, 8; Kaitlyn (Katie) Boone, 7; Charlotte Boone, 8; and Wesley (Wes) Boone, 6. Lexi and Katie are the children of Randy and Stacey Boone. Charlotte and Wes are the children of Clint Boone, 37, and his ex-wife, Eve Morrison, 39.

A fifth grandchild is a newborn boy who remained at home with his parents, Randy and Stacey Boone, a spokeswoman for the family said. Randy, 38, and Stacey, 34, live about 15 minutes away from the Pyles.

The four oldest children, all students at the Severn School in Severna Park, were at a sleepover with their grandparents Sunday night because Monday was a holiday, the family spokeswoman said. They’d gone to Target on Sunday to buy the children costumes for a visit to Medieval Times at the Arundel Mills mall. Don and Sandy took the kids to eat dinner and watch knights jousting in a banquet setting before heading back to their own castle, as the Pyles’ massive 16,000-square-foot house was known to their neighbors.

Special Agent Dave Cheplak, a spokesman for the Baltimore office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), said investigators deployed an “accelerant dog” at the scene for the first time Thursday.

The ATF has also been deploying specialty software that provides “forensic mapping,” allowing investigators to reconstruct a building’s structure down to where a couch might have been placed or where drapes may have hung, Cheplak said.

Still not seeing murder/suicide bc why take out 4 grandchildren but leave one? It doesn't make sense. This guy had alot to live for and was very wealthy. Idk stranger things I guess have happened but honestly not seeing it. Maybe you guys are right but I sure hope not bc it would only compound the pain the surviving family members are going through. I can't even imagine omgosh. It's hard to imagine anything other than a tragic accident. It seems crazy but the oxygen in that home could have fueled the fire. Idk. Now seeing that it was a smart house has me thinking again about a hack.

I refuse to believe that this guy intentionally killed his 4 grandkids.
That is just ridiculous.
If the entire family, kids and grandkids had been there I might believe it.
If only the parents had been home I might believe murder/suicide.

This was either a targeted thing or an accident.
If it was targeted I sure wish they hadn't picked a night when the kids were there. :tears:

Another theory which is probably way out of left field, is another monster Joseph Duncan type scenario (Idaho/Groenes). Killed the grandparents and took the children?

In May of 2014 Darrin Campbell set his (rented) Tampa million dollar home on fire after he killed his wife and children, then killed himself. During the investigation it was found he had recently bought $650 worth of fireworks. The investigation also revealed his finances were in dire straits, and he had previously had a settlement levied against him .

RSBM--edited for brevity and BBM

This was the case I thought of. Awful . Probably have to follow the money trail--if there's any trail to follow.
Just jumping in here and marking my spot; but i assume by now the adult children's whereabouts have been confirmed ?

:moo:

I refuse to believe that this guy intentionally killed his 4 grandkids.
That is just ridiculous.
If the entire family, kids and grandkids had been there I might believe it.
If only the parents had been home I might believe murder/suicide.

This was either a targeted thing or an accident.
If it was targeted I sure wish they hadn't picked a night when the kids were there. :tears:

Me too, MsFacetious, I agree. :( Sad all the way around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8
Back