DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this link to a Handbook from Maine DHHS

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/ocfs/cw/handbook.html

also this link to more info. on Maine DHHS

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/

I have not had time yet to search, read, and absorb it fully.

So far I have not been able to find anything that would deal with the question we had earlier. All I have found so far is DHHS dealing with conditions of neglect or abuse, but nothing to indicate they get involved unless that is the situation. Perhaps someone else can locate the info. concerning a bioparent getting DHHS involved because he was the bioparent.

Justin did not get DHHS involved, Law enforcement got DHHS involved. Responding to an earlier poster, if the children were removed from Trista, it's not fair to say she was keeping them safe. As a matter of fact, the opposite would have to be true for DHHS to even get involved.

It is their job to make sure that they are providing for the children in the best possible manner. That means to me they didn't have to go jerk Ayla from the family she knew best. I think the reason Justin D. acted so quickly was under momma's advice, I can almost hear it now...
Just my opinion how it probably went--->go get her Justin, and you won't have to pay that child support, we can take care of her for far less than that. I'll help you out by saying that I'll be living there and helping take responsibility for her just like Haleigh Cummings grandma Teresa told the courts she'd be there for her grandkids and Ron.
PHOOEY!

I think how that probably went down was Trista and Justin speaking about it and Justin promising when she got out that Ayla could go back with Trista. I don't think he ever had any intentions of that, though, unless Trista would let him stop the child support.

....and then LE could probably find this beautiful little girl named Ayla.
BBM

I agree! Unless and until the adults in this case starts owning their responsibility in this then it helps no one, including but not limited to Ayla.
Normal for the DiPietro's is obviously not my normal. Thank God.
BBM

Of course I'm going to comment on that!
This "big deal" all started, imo, with the Dipietro's. Period. It also ended with the Dipietro's and Courtney Roberts, imo. Period.
Trista is faulting the state for not protecting her child, that's true, imo. However, when they step in then the child becomes their responsibility and "job" and no longer is the parents responsibility or "job" of how that child is cared for and if any harm comes to her. Trista had her children safe, as far as we know. The state failed this child, big time, the state failed her mom and her mom's whole family. Was it worth placing Ayla with Justin for the little stent in rehab Trista went through? To me it was not. I don't ever want it to happen again.
Kind of tacky? Not to me. If something happens to a child that they know about and should be watching over then shame on them!

All above my opinions only!

MOO

We don't know that Ayla was placed with JD for the sole purpose of her attending rehab. That's not usually how it works...also rehab is usually much longer than 5-10 days. Most people don't detox and then call themselves rehabilitated. If the state ordered her into rehab, they foot the costs, so the whole "insurance only covers so much" idea is moot IMO.

Respectfully BBM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe this was a decision made by Trista. IIRC, she was forced into the rehab situation. She did not voluntarily enter it.

Point taken.

I really don't think it matters legally what Trista agreed to do or didn't do in terms of why her daughter wasn't kept safe. She was not in control of Ayla anymore, nor was any member of her family.

The question I think Trista is asking is whether DHHS acted in the best interest of the child in placing her with Justin.

Please disregard if already posted. I searched the last two pages, and try to keep up with Ayla's case, but may have missed it.

link

This looks very bad, IMO. We've seen this new insurance policy play out in other cases with bad outcomes.

I will say I have a small life insurance on my son for, God forbid, funeral expenses, but he didn't go missing, especially shortly after the policy was purchased!
BBM and ITA
1. why did he decide to buy LIFE insurance on baby AYLA?
2. How much is the policy for?
3 Did he make enough money for AYLA to have MEDICAL insurance?
4. When you do not have much money, LIFE insurance is something you just don't buy unless you get a cheap one, IMO.

"Reynolds also says she's learned new information from investigators about what Justin DiPietro may have done before and after his daughter went missing. According to Reynolds, DiPietro took out a $25,000 life insurance policy on his daughter after he got custody. Reynolds also says DiPietro told her he filed to end his child support payments after Ayla went missing. Additionally, Reynolds says investigators told her DiPietro failed his polygraph test"

Wow, that's a big policy for life insurance on a child, IMO and according to what my ins agent advised when I bought the policy! Wonder if he's tried to collect a la Giordano?

Eta:
According to research from the American Council of Life Insurers, life insurance for children isn't a popular purchase. They report that only about 15 percent of people under the age of 18 have life insurance, a percentage that has stayed steady for more than a decade. The average amount of coverage on children is small, usually in the range of $5,000.
Link

We don't know that Ayla was placed with JD for the sole purpose of her attending rehab. That's not usually how it works...also rehab is usually much longer than 5-10 days. Most people don't detox and then call themselves rehabilitated. If the state ordered her into rehab, they foot the costs, so the whole "insurance only covers so much" idea is moot IMO.

BBM. Researching substance abuse programs available in the Portland area which are geared for low income/sliding scale and mandated clients, the average in house treatment is 7 days with aftercare made available. Assuming the state footed the bill, which is what I believe happened, a stay of that length seems about right. I expect Maine is struggling financially as most states are and wouldn't be able like Dr. Drew or Dr. Phil to whisk TR away to some Lindsay Lohan style resort rehab center. All MOO.

Please disregard if already posted. I searched the last two pages, and try to keep up with Ayla's case, but may have missed it.

link

This looks very bad, IMO. We've seen this new insurance policy play out in other cases with bad outcomes.

I will say I have a small life insurance on my son for, God forbid, funeral expenses, but he didn't go missing, especially shortly after the policy was purchased!

Her daughter wasn't "taken" from her.

My Opinion Only

There's also JMO, Just my opinion

IMO, in my opinion,

IMHO, in my humble opinion, etc lol. Yes, there is! :D. Unfortunately another poster will have to link it, as I haven't learned how to link to posts/threads yet. :blush:

I don't really care who is to blame that Ayla was in Justin's care, I just want to know what happened to her there.

BBM and ITA
1. why did he decide to buy LIFE insurance on baby AYLA?
2. How much is the policy for?
3 Did he make enough money for AYLA to have MEDICAL insurance?
4. When you do not have much money, LIFE insurance is something you just don't buy unless you get a cheap one, IMO.
BBM

At the beginning of the school year the kids in our district come home with a pack of papers, and there are always different things in there for accident insurance, life insurance, etc. Our district is fairly economically depressed with over 51% of our students living below the poverty level. I've discussed the insurance offerings with many of the neighborhood moms and I'm surprised by the number of them who elected to purchase. The general consensus seems to be that purchasing insurance is a small thing that they can do for their child's future, and it doesn't cost much. They may never be able to set up college funds, buy fancy clothes, or leave a large inheritance, but they CAN spend a few bucks a month for something that can benefit their kids later in life. ::::shrug:::: maybe JD felt the same way when the option was presented to him?

ETA: the circumstances behind JD being offered insurance was being discussed in the Parking Lot thread :)

Of course, she wasn't going to school, so he'd have had to actively pursue buying it. And, as the stats^^ indicate, very few get it and not for that amount. As part of the larger picture and questions in this case, I think it's an important piece of the puzzle.

Jmo

Justin did not get DHHS involved, Law enforcement got DHHS involved. Responding to an earlier poster, if the children were removed from Trista, it's not fair to say she was keeping them safe. As a matter of fact, the opposite would have to be true for DHHS to even get involved.

But that means that Ayla had an open case. I'm am perfectly aware that JD had the right to go get Ayla from her aunt. I think it was a crappy thing to do after he agreed that Ayla was ok being there while Trista was in detox. If Trista had, say cancer, and was going to be in the hospital for 5-10 days and JD agreed that Ayla could stay with the aunt/grandma during that time, and then he went and showed up with the police to take her, would posters feel the same way? It's really not any different. It was a shifty move.

However, the problem isn't really with that. JD was within his rights. The real problem is that there was no follow up by DHHS. After Ayla broke her arm and she missed doctors appointments ( I read it was 4) they were obligated to ensure Ayla's safety. Did they? Were there ever any home visits or welfare checks? That's where DHHS was wrong. And that is where Trista has a potential suit against DHHS. They violated Ayla's rights protected under the 8th and 14th Amendments. My state has had a myriad of similar cases. .and the state has lost.

MOO

What is MOO? And is there a thread of common abbreviations?

Hi Forbus!
I had the same challenge when I joined Websleuths. I do not know how to link, but I will give you the thread of acronyms special to Websleuths:

NEW Websleuths Lingo

You may have to go to Search found at the top of each page, then type in NEW Websleuths Lingo, and hopefully it will get you to the correct thread. There are quite a few pages, so it is not for the faint of heart, but it is very informative.

Good Luck!

And Welcome! :seeya:

Hi Forbus!
I had the same challenge when I joined Websleuths. I do not know how to link, but I will give you the thread of acronyms special to Websleuths:

NEW Websleuths Lingo

You may have to go to Search found at the top of each page, then type in NEW Websleuths Lingo, and hopefully it will get you to the correct thread. There are quite a few pages, so it is not for the faint of heart, but it is very informative.

Good Luck!

And Welcome! :seeya:

Here's the direct link:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84535&highlight=websleuths+lingo

(And to link to any webpage either on or off the forum, just go up to the top of your computer page where the web address appears in the browser, right-click, choose Copy, then go to your post, right-click, choose Paste.

Someone had to explain that to me once upon a time right here on the forum, too. :)

That's also the way you can copy text from somewhere: Left click and hold down while scanning over whatever you want to copy, then right-click, copy, go to post box, right-click, paste.

On a laptop it's a little different, but someone can explain it here I'm sure).

Here's the direct link:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84535&highlight=websleuths+lingo

(And to link to any webpage either on or off the forum, just go up to the top of your computer page where the web address appears in the browser, right-click, choose Copy, then go to your post, right-click, choose Paste.

Someone had to explain that to me once upon a time right here on the forum, too. :)

That's also the way you can copy text from somewhere: Left click and hold down while scanning over whatever you want to copy, then right-click, copy, go to post box, right-click, paste.

On a laptop it's a little different, but someone can explain it here I'm sure).

Thanks, Thoughtfox!
The Thank You button wasn't enough!
:gthanks:

I keep that lingo link in my siggy line because it is a pretty common question for new members and I hate trying to go track down the thread each time, so I just keep it down there in my siggy line for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Askmetomorrow2