Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation sounds a lot like an Ambian "episode". I know they said she didn't take sleeping pills but maybe someone loaned her one because she was having trouble sleeping. I've told this story before but on a Christmas night, my father in law managed to leave our house around 2 a.m. in his pj's and barefeet. He walked into people's homes and roamed around while they were sleeping.
Luckily we got a call from our community guard who knew my
father in law and saw him standing in the middle of the road wet and shivering so my husband jumped in the car to pick him up. He managed to walk a mile. We figured this was the beginning of dementia but it turned out to be the Ambian!

I imagine it’s not so much a random statement as it is a response to investigators asking what happened before she went missing, or he’s running through how her day was normal. Doesn’t seem odd to me.
I mostly just think that it could have been said as the opposite of something that was normal for her. Something like she hasn’t been eating well, but tonight seemed better—she ate a full dinner. Could it have been an indication of how things normally are, which could provide clues. (I realize I’m reading into it).

I agree with you on many points. I wear flip flops year round to take my trash out and dog walks so long as it’s not snowing or just uncomfortably cold out. Maybe she did have a 3ed pair of sneakers and went for a run bc she couldn’t sleep and something happened.. a drunk hit her and hid her? IDK. I don’t get awful vibes from the husband. I think to not care what people think and what the local gossip is really speaks to his character. He’s also an advanced oncology nurse for children, so his everyday work environment is hard, sad and very black and white. He may have more self control and a much braver face during adversity than most of us.

Her brother said she would run barefoot sometimes so stepping out in flip flops may not be a big deal.

But she had just come home from a run at 6pm so would she need another, esp if she has to be at work Monday? Also the 6pm run is the last time she was seen on camera.

Anyone know if she has back neighbors?

Moo

I agree it all sounds fishy, but I can tell you first hand that teachers are under an insane amount of pressure now. The demands are impossible and keep piling up. Mental health is a huge concern among educators. People can only take so much.
My school has great resources to help us when we need it. Teaching is not just teaching anymore. We have many occupations rolled into one position

From the locations being searched, LE seems to think that she departed on foot.

Free-ranging speculation only: Her previous position with Lotus sounds like she held a lot of responsibility after college and likely was well-compensated. I wonder what led her to California and a career change. She not only sought teaching certification, but also earned an MS in Education. She went all-in. She’s clearly bright and capable and seems highly self-motivated. On the flip side, those personality types can also be highly self-critical, even about things beyond their control.

Hoping for the best for Kristin and her family.

Last edited:
This situation sounds a lot like an Ambian "episode". I know they said she didn't take sleeping pills but maybe someone loaned her one because she was having trouble sleeping. I've told this story before but on a Christmas night, my father in law managed to leave our house around 2 a.m. in his pj's and barefeet. He walked into people's homes and roamed around while they were sleeping.
father in law and saw him standing in the middle of the road wet and shivering so my husband jumped in the car to pick him up. He managed to walk a mile. We figured this was the beginning of dementia but it turned out to be the Ambian!
I thought this at first, but not being picked up on security cameras that saw her come home is odd. If she were sleep walking because of a pill or just too much stress/anxiety I doubt she'd be in a state that she would slip quietly out the back door.

Moo

Ambian is no joke. How crazy that he would walk in peoples homes! How terrifying for him and you and the neighbors. I’ve basically just always online shopped and ate loads of food.

I mostly just think that it could have been said as the opposite of something that was normal for her. Something like she hasn’t been eating well, but tonight seemed better—she ate a full dinner. Could it have been an indication of how things normally are, which could provide clues. (I realize I’m reading into it).

I took “full dinner” to imply that not only was she acting normal but she even ate better than she has been lately. I possibly could see that as a last good dinner, with her beloved husband before she took her life. Not to be morbid, but it has to be considered and that would be a nice gesture.

Last edited:
28485cbb-41fe-4d4d-b29a-eda18c325163_750x422.jpg The house they live in looks huge.I hope every inch of it was searched by her family. With construction going on it would be easy to trip and fall.Even get stuck somewhere.I am just having a hard time believing she left on foot.

Last edited:
Flip flops are fine in the Fall if you live on a suburban street and you want to walk down your paved driveway to the concrete sidewalk to get your mail.

But no one is wearing flip flops walking down a dirt road in the 50 degree rain. Your feet would be muddy in minutes. Your flip-flops would stick to the mud as you walk, making it very hard to walk. Everyone wears wellington boots or muckboots for just this reason. It sounds like I'm exaggerating but we have a whole season based around the mud. Mud season - Wikipedia

Look at the videos from the searches: you can see the ATV and tire tracks deep in the (now dried) mud. Dozens of people continue search for missing teacher

Flip flops in this weather! It's Maine, I would bet she had at least two pairs of rainboots. We live in rainboots throughout the spring (mud season) and fall. It is practically a uniform.

Something is not right.
You are so right! We don't have spring up here, it's called mud season and for a good reason. I have to tell you, with all the rain we've had the last few days and nights, along with this summer, our back yard is a mushy mess. That's why I keep saying, no way in God's creation could she have worn her flip flops through the woods or near the quarry, and she would freeze to death after about an hour being in that cold and rainy night. It was pouring out here.

Yes, I think it's pretty common for people to leave doors unlocked. We lock everything up because my husband and I both lived in big cities (NYC and San Francisco) before packing it up and moving to the country and it's just what we are used to. But for example our town's police department will send reminders to lock your car doors when you park in town because a camera was stolen out of an open car. (I.e. most people do not even lock their cars when parking on main street to shop)

That said, I don't think we know her family's normal routine. This certainly sounds out of character.

I don't know her particular street but if it is typical of these types of towns the road would be very, very dark. There aren't street lights and sidewalks - it's dirt roads with houses set far back from the street. I couldn't imagine just taking a stroll at 3am in my neighborhood even though it is very, very safe. I would be afraid I'd run into wildlife or injure myself in the darkness tripping over a rock or a tree root.
Agree with everything you said. I could be so very very wrong, but I just don't believe that she walked out that door in flip flops that late at night. Even on main roads up here, there aren't any street lights. I used to work 11 pm-7 am shift, and I was relieved when I got to work for sure- eerie to drive that time of night. Walking around here at 3 am- no way- dark, cold, rainy, and as you mentioned, the wild life are still out looking for snacks at that time.

Hi, I live in north Yarmouth very close to where Kristin disappeared. Our property was in the search area. I don’t know her or her family at all, but of course I hope this has a very happy ending.

To answer a couple of questions:

- the police station is less than a mile down the road from where the family lives.

- people don’t always lock their doors here.

- I know her street well and it’s VERY dark- no streetlights.
Thank you. I was in Yarmouth not too long ago- beautiful place!

I wonder if the brother knows their usual daily routine since he seems to know a lot about his sister.

Do they normally go to bed at 8pm?

What time do they normally get up? Really early I would imagine with an 8pm bedtime. Are they both usually getting ready for work at the same time? Him up first? Her up first? Had The husband reported her, at the Fire Station/police at 9am. Had he just woken up? 8pm to 9am seems like a long time to be sleeping for even an average person. Did he not report her as soon as he awoke?

"She had a full dinner"

What an odd detail to add. Even with the brothers comments about not sleeping well or eating well lately.
I am going to gather that she goes to be early because she has to catch a ferry in the morning to get to the island to work at the school, so I would imagine she would be up early to do so. Most elementary schools up here start around 7:45 am due to bussing- they bring the elementary kids in our town to school first so that their afternoon bus ride home is done in time for the high school kids that have to travel to sporting events. I know that might not make sense to many here, but that's how they do it here.

I think it's interesting to note the husband in that article a few pages back gets in a bit about how the back door was a couple of inches open.

<modsnipped- not victim friendly according to websleuth's TOS>

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for missing Maine teacher broadens, and those who know her are mystified | Journal Tribune
“She would never intentionally do anything like this,” said Jennifer Hatch Gubbins, 49, who met Westra when they were assigned to be roommates during their freshman year at the University of Vermont.

Westra was always the one to stay in touch and make plans, Gubbins said.

“Normally, she has a love of life, a love of people, love of friends. (She is) just one of those people that is so charismatic and energetic and loves to be active,” she said. “I think something happened that she maybe wasn’t herself, and I think it might have happened quickly. Because to disappear like that is just so out of character.”

Flip flops in this weather! It's Maine, I would bet she had at least two pairs of rainboots. We live in rainboots throughout the spring (mud season) and fall. It is practically a uniform.
Something is not right.

LOL - some of my coworkers wear flip-flops nearly all year round, except for when we get a Nor'Easter. I use them instead of slippers, so her choosing to put on a pair of flip flops instead of something else doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.
And I've lived here my whole life and haven't worn a pair of rain-boots since I was a kid. :)

"We've always taken care of everything, we've solved every problem, we're a team, we will be a team, your daughter loves you, your friends love you, your parents love you, your brother and sister-in-law love you, aunts and uncles, everybody wants you back "

He doesn't mention her 15 yr old stepson.I wonder if he lives there or with his mom?

BBM
Police and game wardens found no clues to Westra’s whereabouts during a search Tuesday of the wooded area within a 1.5-mile radius of her home that “eliminated with high probability” she was in the vicinity of the house on Lufkin Road that she shared with her husband, daughter and stepson, Cpl. John MacDonald of the Maine Warden Service said Wednesday.

Search for missing Maine teacher broadens, and those who know her are mystified

Last edited:
Does anyone have any knowledge/insight on the use of search dogs and her having just been on a run that evening at 6pm. Would the dogs be inclined to follow the path of her run or, would that hinder following her latest path out of the house or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay