ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes, 18 killed *shooter found dead* Oct 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From all accounts, it sounds like he headed to the recycling center & shot himself the same night he unloaded on both locations.

jmo
They did say from the boat launch there is a walking path directly to the overflow lot at the recycling plant, which is why they assume he walked directly from his car to the trailer. I believe you're right, he went from the pub, to the bowling alley, dropped off his car, walked to the trailer and shot himself.

Why the bowling alley and pub? RC was hearing voices and felt paranoid about what RC felt people were saying about him.
RC had at one time worked at the recycling center.
When did RC die? Don't have that info yet.
A couple of firearms were found with his body. RC was wearing the same sweatshirt on the video. He was found closer to the door of the trailer.
How was RC able to evade police? Not sure, seems that RC planned this.
Apparently the box trailer was not searched when they searched the recycling center.
Something about being in overflow vehicle parking.

Last edited:
They did say from the boat launch there is a walking path directly to the overflow lot at the recycling plant, which is why they assume he walked directly from his car to the trailer. I believe you're right, he went from the pub, to the bowling alley, dropped off his car, walked to the trailer and shot himself.
Thanks for the transcription!

Mass Shooting as a Form of Suicide???
.... (BBC: All Things Considered) talking about another mass shooter that explains her motive is really to just die no matter what it takes....

Mass shootings are a form of suicide, and many people are intending for it to be their final act.

In 1979,... in San Diego, California, and the shooter was a 16-year-old female, who at the time was asked why she committed the crime. And she famously said because she hated Mondays.

Later at her parole hearing, after spending most of her life in prison, she was asked that same question and she said, “I wanted to die. I was trying to commit suicide.” She followed up by saying that “every time I tried suicide in the previous year, I screwed it up.” She targeted the school specifically because she felt that police would shoot and kill her....
@imstilla.grandma

Interesting viewpoint in quoted article ^ and it may be true for SOME (unknown and unknowable) number of mass killers, but the Mass Shooting as a Form of Suicide stmt is a very BROAD generalization.

And considering the context of convicted mass murderer's claim -
MSaaFS --- at a PAROLE Hearing -- personally I don't give it a lot of weight.

Another poster prompted me to ask --- has she tried to commit suicide or other self-harm in prison?

I can't be the only person who has been wondering if he targeted the bowling alley because he knew a lot of deaf people would be there.

RIP to all the innocent victims.

It has been widely reported that the group of deaf people was at the bar playing cornhole, not the bowling center. It is reported that the bowling center was having a youth bowling league or practice. Just to keep the locations and people straight.

Mass Shooting as a Form of Suicide???

@imstilla.grandma

Interesting viewpoint in quoted article ^ and it may be true for SOME (unknown and unknowable) number of mass killers, but the Mass Shooting as a Form of Suicide stmt is a very BROAD generalization.

And considering the context of convicted mass murderer's claim -
MSaaFS --- at a PAROLE Hearing -- personally I don't give it a lot of weight.

Another poster prompted me to ask --- has she tried to commit suicide or other self-harm in prison?
As far as mass shootings as a means of suicide, I think in some cases it is, clearly not in all. We've all heard the term "Suicide by Cop".
Suicide by cop (SBC) is a situation where individuals deliberately place themselves or others at grave risk in a manner that compels the use of deadly force by police officers.
Much more at link...

ap23301481981052-74c5ed1875cd2c8326d248777c37a1e5256428d6-s1100-c50.jpg

An American flag is set to half mast Saturday on a football field in Lisbon Falls, Maine, just a few hundred yards from a recycling facility where law enforcement found the body of Robert Card, the suspect in this week's mass shootings.

People will now be able to gather in person for the first time since the shooting to hold events like vigils, which had only been taking place online due to that active manhunt.

He will be remembered by his family though, which is also heartbreaking. And I can only imagine what comments/whispers/aggression they will be dealing with from others for a long time. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel sorry for Robert at all, but I do feel sorry for his family. I can’t imagine working so hard to get him help to avoid this very thing from happening, and then it happens anyway. They probably felt as if they were screaming into the void.
Agreed. It's okay (moo) to feel sorry for RC. I feel sorry for him.

moo, you have to want to help yourself first, before anyone can help you, or assist you with any kind of help. Also, moo.

It has been widely reported that the group of deaf people was at the bar playing cornhole, not the bowling center. It is reported that the bowling center was having a youth bowling league or practice. Just to keep the locations and people straight.
It was reported RC was an avid Cornhole player and played in a league.

This is just a perspective I wanted to share. My (male) cousin was suicidal for a great deal of his late teen/early adult life. At one point he was so very angry that he felt so screwed up, didn't think anyone cared - knowing suicide was "wrong." He said he could have killed everyone who he perceived to have failed him and then himself. Scott was in and out of mental health facilities and did have times where he could think rationally so was able to share his feelings. He did take his own life in his late 20s. The anger, confusion, fear was so overwhelming. I'm NOT throwing out am excuses for RC. Trust me.

Agreed. It's okay (moo) to feel sorry for RC. I feel sorry for him.

moo, you have to want to help yourself first, before anyone can help you, or assist you with any kind of help. Also, moo.
Almost all sufferers of mental illness do not murder.
The greatest risk is during the first psychotic episode, after that the person takes meds, and even if off meds on some level knows their feelings and experience possibly false.
He already had a break, so MOO he chose murder knowing had a problem.

IMO people don't commit murder like this unless they want "revenge" or for others to feel some of what they're feeling.

They no longer feel connected to anyone, if they ever did, and that's how they can do this without feeling something toward the victims.

My question - how does he go from seemingly "loving" (according to a relative) to being able to do this in 2 different locations, feeling nothing after the first location? "He developed schizophrenia" isn't enough of an answer, IMO.

Supposedly, the "suicide note" was more of a note than what would be considered a suicide note. moo

At a press conference Saturday, Sauschuck also said Card’s family called investigators to provide his name to law enforcement soon after police released surveillance pictures of the shooter.

“This family has been incredibly cooperative with us,” Sauschuck said. “Truth be told the first three people that called us … were family members.”

The 40-year-old Card of Bowdoin — a firearms instructor who grew up in the area — was suspected of also injuring 13 people during a shooting rampage at a bowling alley and bar on Wednesday night in Lewiston.

Last summer, Card underwent a mental health evaluation after he began acting erratically during training, a U.S. official told the AP. A bulletin sent to police across the country shortly after the attack said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks after “hearing voices and threats to shoot up” a military base.

A U.S. official said Card was training with the Army Reserve’s 3rd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment in West Point, New York, when commanders became concerned about him. State police took Card to the Keller Army Community Hospital at West Point for evaluation, according to the official, who was not authorized to publicly discuss the information and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Authorities found a suicide note at a home associated with Card on Thursday that was addressed to his son, the law enforcement officials said. They said it didn’t provide any specific motive for the shooting.

Mental illness is a reason ... not an excuse.
More support is needed, when will it happen is the question.

And then of course ... there is the guns.
I'm from Canada, lived here all my life so not entitled to an opinion ... but I do wonder ... what about the guns?
MOO

Mental illness is a reason ... not an excuse.
More support is needed, when will it happen is the question.

And then of course ... there is the guns.
I'm from Canada, lived here all my life so not entitled to an opinion ... but I do wonder ... what about the guns?
MOO
Mental health treatment is a problem here in the states. For example, in Maine there are only two mental health facilities. One, the old BMHI in Bangor, used to have over 2000 beds, now it's down to 50. Most hospitals used to have a mental health floor or section. Those are now gone. So many that used to be hospitalized are now treated as outpatients, the reason this is a problem is that some medications take time to reach a therapeutic level, sometimes medications need to be adjusted and then there's the problem of compliance-hoping the patient is going to take the medication as prescribed.

Mental health treatment is a problem here in the states. For example, in Maine there are only two mental health facilities. One, the old BMHI in Bangor, used to have over 2000 beds, now it's down to 50. Most hospitals used to have a mental health floor or section. Those are now gone. So many that used to be hospitalized are now treated as outpatients, the reason this is a problem is that some medications take time to reach a therapeutic level, sometimes medications need to be adjusted and then there's the problem of compliance-hoping the patient is going to take the medication as prescribed.
I'm sad to hear this ...

Mental illness is problem all over our country. It's too bad that someone with power and position hasn't elevated the problem so that maybe something could be done. We see celebs championing other causes. Look at how Kanye West was ostracized when was struggling. Very sad.

All JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99
Back