ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his mental health difficulties, my sense is that the information being released to the public is going to be extremely well vetted as not to drive him to kill more innocent people, or himself. I hope they can get him, this is an incredibly sad situation for everyone.
I do think the numbers of casualties, the locations he is possibly traced to and everything else is going to sound a lot different after he is in custody, or deceased.

They can only keep someone in hospital until they are no longer a threat to themselves/others. Once they are stabilized, they are released. They go off their meds and then start acting erratically. It's a cycle that continues all the time. No they can not be kept in hospital indefinitely. Sanitoriums are from the past, not in the present or future. No, they can not be forced to take medications. All these are rights that everyone has. People are allowed to only take meds that they want, not necessarily what they need. Also there is no place besides prison/jail where you can keep someone "locked away" And even then, he didn't act on his thoughts, until now.
I am aware of that, due to personal experience. But with the sister in law claiming in the link above that he was still having episodes/paranoid thoughts (IMO) over recent months, especially after being inpatient for what are essentially terroristic threats, it's aggravating that nobody took any of it as seriously as they should have. We're always told that if we see something, to say something, and if what the SIL claims is true, then nobody said anything until now. And now it's too late.
I know that there are laws, protocol, etc... and yes, mentally ill people have rights. But the more that comes out, the more it's looking like this guy fell through the cracks somehow and/or people turned a blind eye to what was happening to him. And that is terrifying.
It's a huge clustermuck with seemingly no solution, IMO.
Forgive my rant, it's not directed at you, just the horrible situation.

WASHINGTON (AP) — US official: Suspect in Maine killings taken by police for evaluation after acting erratically at West Point in July.

This was a systemic failure. The guy was a walking time bomb and more should have been done prior to this horrible event. The families of the loved ones that were murdered last night deserve answers and I hope they get them. JMO

Can you summarize? Looks like you need to register to read the article. tia
From the article:

The family of Robert Card—who is suspected of killing 18 people in double mass shootings in Maine on Wednesday night—say the Army reservist had previously claimed he was hearing voices at the two locations he allegedly attacked.

In the aftermath of the carnage, Katie Card, who is married to Card’s brother, told The Daily Beast that their family has been messaging her brother-in-law and urging him to surrender to authorities.

But in the past year, he had an acute episode of mental health, and it’s been a struggle.”

She said that Robert Card recently began wearing powerful hearing aids to combat hearing loss. Since then, Card said her brother-in-law has been insisting to his family that he can hear people bashing him—including at Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar and Grill, where he’s accused of gunning down 18 people on Wednesday night.

And...
-- The article further talks about the shooting, that Card would get mad when family advised him that nobody was talking about him. They (his family) are praying he had nothing to do with this. Card recently lost his job at a recycling center.

CNN now reporting that he was transported to the military hospital in July, after it was noticed that he was acting erratically.
So he didn't voluntarily reach out for mental health treatment. But, dang, only two weeks inpatient for something that disturbing? Someone dropped the ball.
Also, they're still referring to him as a firearms instructor.
So much coming out quickly, it's hard to keep track, and really hard to determine what is fact and what isn't.
Wondering why we haven't seen anything from family, friends, co-workers yet.
JMO.

In most states, that's the legal maximum without someone going to court for a conservatorship (which takes time and is difficult to come by). Most of the time, it's the family who has to petition the court for the conversatorship, but there would have to be expert testimony by a psychiatrist.

I'm curious what the laws in Maine are. Usually one can be held for 72 hours on just the signature of a psychiatrist. After that, paperwork has to be filed (by the psychiatrist and the institution) to extend to two weeks.

In the US, we do not readily hold people against their will. Locked inpatient units are much like jails. The person has lost their freedom. It's a big deal. And in many cases, the subject of the proceedings pulls it together well enough at court to convince a judge they are not a risk.

Further, most psychiatrists really do not like testifying in these matters, unless the patient has explicitly told them of the harm s/he intends to do to others, has a plan and the means to do it. Involuntary commission to a mental hospital is indeed very rare - but it should be. Often, the person realizes during the 2 weeks that they're feeling better and may stay longer (OTOH, in many hospitals, conditions are so overcrowded that unless the patient is acting out in hospital, they figure s/he is good to go to outpatient).

I think most people would be surprised at the scale of serious mental illness and the inability of the system to manage the load. In this case, the best bet would have been to go the family conservatorship route, with a treating private psychiatrist from outside the VA recommending to the court that there be a longer (indefinite) hold.

IMO.

This was a systemic failure. The guy was a walking time bomb and more should have been done prior to this horrible event. The families of the loved ones that were murdered last night deserve answers and I hope they get them. JMO
Exactly.
When his "episodes" (not sure what else to call them) got worse, did anyone call LE to come out to talk to him or evaluate him? Even with HIPAA, a concerned friend or family member can still do that, right? No, you can't just have them locked up but at least do the bare minimum if there is that big of a concern. Wondering if there were any calls out to his home during the time.
He is the one who did this, he is the murderer, but those recent red flags are big and bright.
JMO.

. They (his family) are praying he had nothing to do with this. Card recently lost his job at a recycling center.
snipped

For younger male perps, I think triggers are often a "failure to launch" and with older male perps, it's financial/job. My arm-chair opinion.

jmo

With 18 people confirmed to have been shot dead Wednesday night in Lewiston, the mass shooting at multiple locations in the city is the deadliest ever in Maine.

It also is the deadliest mass shooting in the United States this year and among the deadliest in modern U.S. history. An additional 13 people were injured by gunfire in the shooting spree, Maine Gov. Janet Mills said Thursday.

The severity of shootings Wednesday in Lewiston eclipses the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead.

The Lewiston shootings come just six months after Maine had what at the time was considered the biggest mass shooting in recent history. Seven people were shot and the state gripped in fear when Joseph Eaton allegedly killed four people in Bowdoin and then injured three others when he opened fire on cars driving on Interstate 295 in Yarmouth.

Article continues at link...

Lewiston rampage among the worst mass shootings in modern US history

47 mins ago

'The Canada Border Services Agency has issued an “armed and dangerous” alert to its officers stationed along the Canada-U.S. border, warning them to be on the lookout for the man suspected of fatally shooting at least 18 people in southern Maine.'

'The CBSA says it is working with Canadian and U.S. law enforcement partners, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection and RCMP to “protect Canada's borders against any threat or attempt at illegal entry.”

The Canadian border agency said its “Armed and Dangerous - Firearms lookout” alert was sent to all its officers through an internal system, and the agency added that all entry points along the Canada-U.S. border remain open.'

Police identified the suspect as Robert Card, a 40-year-old firearms instructor trained by the military and recently committed to a mental health facility.
Officially a suspect now.

This small plane is a government plane seems to be flying along the river/creek pretty low (400-550 feet). Perhaps visually searching for disturbances or would a plane like this have any heat sensing type abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell