Media Thread - NO DISCUSSION

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
List of witnesses called in the George Zimmerman trial

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2013/6/28/george_zimmerman_wit.html

GZ-Wit1_zps0fa23f69.jpg~original

Anderson Cooper did a wonderful interview with Trayvon's stepmother last night. Her name is Alicia Stanley. She was still married to Tracy at the time of his death, and raised him from age 3, for 14 years. It's a very heart breaking story and she was pushed away from the family once the media got involved. Thought y'all would like to know about her. :seeya:

Here is the link to the interview and youtube

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trayvon-...immerman-picked-him-out-because-he-was-black/

Zimmerman Trial Day 5 – Analysis & Video – State’s own witnesses undercut theory of guilt
Posted by Andrew Branca
Friday, June 28, 2013 at 8:41pm

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...own-witnesses-undercut-theory-of-guilt//#more
(Videos of testimony included at the link)

Today saw the State move through another seven of their witnesses, although as has seemed the pattern this first week of trial, the defense more so than the State appeared to benefit from their testimony.

Among these two were most notable–Jonathan Good, who was a resident of Twin Lakes who observed much of that night’s events, and Lindzee Folgate, George Zimmerman’s physician assistant who treated his wounds the following day. With both of these witnesses the State took a horrible beating in the course of cross-examination–worse so with Good but still badly with Folgate–although in fairness the State did not fare particularly well with any of today’s witnesses.

Jonathan Good, Twin Lakes Resident, Substantively Confirms Defense’s Theory of the Case

The testimony of State witness Jonathan Good was remarkably, almost shockingly, destructive to the State’s theory of the case, however. So damaging was this testimony that between myself and Professor Jacobson led to three separate blog posts–and it warranted every one. Given the coverage we’ve already posted up, I won’t dwell on it here, but you need to read the three posts well to fully understand how effectively the defense co-opted yet another State witness to the benefit of their theory of the case and their client:

<mod snip>

ZIMMERMAN TRIAL: EVIDENTIARY FLASHBACK: Zimmerman Recalls Fatal Fight to Police

By Andrew Branca, Attorney at Law
June 14th, 2013 | Florida
http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerm...back-zimmerman-recalls-fatal-fight-to-police/

Below is a snippet from the transcript of the February 27, 2012 Sanford Police Department interview of George Zimmerman by Investigator Singleton, the day after the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

(Strangely, the transcript states it was taken on February 22, but the shooting did not occur until February 26, so it is likely the transcriptionist simply misheard the date when listening to the audio recording. “Twenty-second” and “twenty-seventh” can easily be confused on a poor quality audio recording replayed through a transcription machine.)

. . .

Zimmerman: I was leaving to go to the grocery store and, like I said, I saw him, uh, walking in the neighborhood, the same, in front of the same house that I had called the police before to come to because this guy leaves his doors unlocked and stuff and, he was walking leisurely and looking at the houses and, um, so I just pulled my car to the side and I called the non-emergency line.

Singleton: Okay.

Zimmerman: Uh,–

Singleton: Were you, were you, were you armed at this point?

Zimmerman: Yes, ma’am.

Singleton: You were already armed, okay.

Zimmerman: Yes, ma’am. And, I called the non-emergency line and I just reported that there was a suspicious person in the neighborhoo. Um, the dispatcher, whoeever answered the phone, asked me where they went and I said I wasn’t sure because I lsot visual of him when he went in between houses and, uh, he said, “Well, can you tell me what direction he went in,” and I said, “Not really.” Um, and then all of a sudden I see him circling my car, and then he goes back into the darkness. So–

Singleton: **** you pull out of your house and you’re heading–

Singleton: You’re on the phone and he dips between two houses, is that what you mean?

Zimmerman: Yes, ma’am. ‘Cause he–

Singleton: So, you lose sight of him.

Zimmerman: Correct and then he comes back out.

Singleton: Mm hmm.

Zimmerman: And circles my car while I’m on the phone with the police.

Singleton: Okay, is he saying anything to you?

Zimmerman: I couldn’t him. My windows were up.

Zimmerman: As soon as I saw him coming at me, I rolled up my windows and I stayed on the phone with dispatch.

Singleton: Okay, he, your car was running.

Singleton: The lights were on?

Singleton: So he knew somebody was in this car?

Singleton: And he, is he walking completely around the car?

Zimmerman: Um, and dispatch asked me where he went. I didn’t know the name of the street that I was on. I–

Singleton: So, you’d come off your street and got onto another street.

Zimmerman: Goes and cuts through the middle, my neighborhood.

Zimmerman: I didn’t know the name of the street, Um, or where he went so I got our of my car to look for the street sign and to see if I could see where he cut through so that I could tell the ****

Singleton: So after he circled his car he disappeared again?

Zimmerman: Um, then dispatcher told me that, “Where are you?” and I said “I’m trying to find out where he went.” And, he said, we don’t need you to do that. And I said, “Okay.” Uh, he said, “We already have a police officer en route.” And I said, “All right,” and I have gone where, through the dog walk where I normally walk my dog and walked back through to my stret, the street that loops around and he said, “We already have a police officer on the way,” so I said, “Okay.” I told–base said, “Would you like a police officer to meet you?” and I said, “Yes,” and I told him where my car was and the make and the model.

Zimmerman: So, I was walking through to where my car was and he jumped out from the bushes and he said, “What the *advertiser censored*ck’s your problem, homey?” and I got my cell phone out to call 911 at this time.

Zimmerman: And I said, “Hey man, I don’t have a problem,” and he goes, “No, now you have a problem,” and he punched me in the nose. At that point, I fell down, uh, I tried to defend myself. He just started punching me in the face, and, uh, I started screaming for help. I couldn’t see. I couldn’t breath. Then he started taking my **** –

Singleton: Were you still standing at this point?

Zimmerman: No, ma’am.

Zimmerman: I fell to the ground when he punched me the first time.

Zimmerman: I, it was dark. I didn’t even see him getting ready to punch me. As soon as he punched me, I fell backwards, um, into the grass and he grabbed me. He was wailing on my head and I, then, I started yelling help. When I started yelling help, he grabbed my head and he started hitting my head into the– I, I tried to sit up and I, and yell for help and then he grabbed my head and started hitting it into the sidewalk. Um, when he started doing that, I slid into the grass to try and get out from under him and so that he would stop hitting my head into the sidewalk and I’m still yelling for help. And, I could see people looking and some guy yells out, I’m calling 911 and I said, “Help me, help me. He’s killing me.” And he puts his hand on my nose and mouth and he says, “You’re gonna die tonight,” and I don’t remember much after that. I just remem, I couldn’t breath and then he still kept trying to hit my head against the pavement or I don’t know if there was a sign or what it was. So, I just, uh, when I slid, my jacket and my shirt came up and when he said, “You’re gonna die tonight,” I felt his hand go down on my side and I thought he was going for my firearm. So I grabbed it immediately and as he banged my head again, I just pulled out my firearm and shot him.

Singleton: Okay. And then what happened? Did he, he, you, you’re both on the ground?

Zimmerman: I’m on my back.

Singleton: And he’s on top of you?

Zimmerman: He’s on top of me.

Zimmerman: He’s mounted on top of me and I just shot him.

Zimmerman: And then he falls off and hels like all right, you got it. You got it.

Singleton: Does he fall to the side and he stays lying on the ground or does–

Zimmerman: I don’t ****, I, my vision was blurry–

Zimmerman: –and, uh–

Singleton: You didn’t feel him fall towards you? He somewhow ended up to one side or the other oryou don’t know?

Zimmerman: I don’t remember. He, I think when I shot him, it might have pushed him back but I remembe. I didn’t know what he was hitting [me with]. It felt like he was hitting me with bricks. So, I rememberI, once I shot him, I holstered my firearm, and I got on top of him and I held his hands down because he was still talking, and he, and, uh, I said, “Stay down. Don’t move,” and, uh, then somebody comes out and I couldn’t see. It was a flashlight in my head so I, I asked if it was a police officer and he said, no, it was a witness but he was calling the police, and I said, “The police are on their way. They should be here already ’cause I had called.

Zimmerman: And, uh, he’s like I’m calling the police and I said, “I don’t need you to call the police. I need you to help me with this guy.” And, uh, then an officer shows up. Again, he had a flashlight so I couldn’t see him and he asked me, uh, “Who shot this guy,” and I said, “I did,” and I put, I immediately put my hands on top of my head and I told the police officer where my firearm was and then he hendcuffed me and took me from there.

Singleton: Okay, after you, after you shot him, he said, “You got me?”

Zimmerman: Yeah.

Singleton: Okay, And then when you got on top, did he say anything else?

Zimmerman: He said, “Ow, ow.”

Singleton: When he was, okay, um, you said you were, you had walked back there.

Singleton: To try to find out where he went–

Singleton: –and you were already on the phone with dispatch at that point?

Singleton: You sad you called them from your car?

Singleton: Okay, so the whole itme you were on the phone?

Singleton: Were you still on the phone when he, when he came, when he jumped out?

Zimmerman: No.

Singleton: You had hung up?

Zimmerman: Yes.

. . . . .

. . .

George Zimmerman: I saw him coming at me and I went to grab my phone. I don’t remember if I had time to pull it out or not.

Investigator Singleton: Okay, you attempted to try to recall the –

George Zimmerman: To call the police.

Investigator Singleton: –to call the police, right.

George Zimmerman: 911 this time.

Investigator Singleton: Okay.

George Zimmerman: ’Cause the first time I called non-emergency.

Investigator Singleton: But you’re not sure if you actually got it out of your pocket or not? Oh, okay and that’s when it was, that’s when he slugged you.

George Zimmerman: He just hit me, yeah.

Investigator Singleton: And what did he say before that? You said, he asked you like something about, I said, you got a problem?

George Zimmerman: He said, “You got a problem, homey?” and I said, “I don’t have a problem.” And he said, “Now you have a problem.”

Investigator Singleton: Okay.

George Zimmerman: And that’s when he hit me.

Investigator Singleton: And that’s he struck you in the nose first.

George Zimmerman: Yes, ma’am.

Investigator Singleton: And that’s what knocked you down?

Investigator Singleton: Okay. And, this is all, this is, you’re saying this is behind the buildings, though?

Investigator Singleton: How, is there, are you sure, is it a patio that he’s hitting ’cause you said he’s hitting your head on a sidewalk.

George Zimmerman: No, no, it’s the, it’s the sidewalk.

Investigator Singleton: There’s a sidewalk behind–

George Zimmerman: Yes ma’am.

Investigator Singleton: --the buildins?

George Zimmerman: It’s a dog walk.

Investigator Singleton: Okay. . . . the dog walk is, is cement.

Investigator Singleton: Okay. Okay. Okay, so he’s hitting your head . . .

George Zimmerman: Yes, ma’am. As I went to sit up, then he grabbed me by the, the front of my head and started banging it into the–

Investigator Singleton: And that’s when you could look either to your left or right and you could see this guy? And you were saying help me?

George Zimmerman: I don’t remember. I screamed help me probably 50 times as loud as I could.

. . .

Speaker 1: Are you still [at this time] on the phone [police non-emergency number]–

Speaker 1: –with dispatch? Okay. Are you giving them a description of ***–

Speaker 1: –***? Okay. At, where does he go where you lose sight of him again?

George Zimmerman: He walked back into the darkness here.

Speaker 1: He went there? Okay. . . . By the time he gets here, you can’t see him.

George Zimmerman: Correct

Speaker 1: Okay, and you’re still in your car?

Speaker 1: And you’re watching him walk away?

Speaker 1: Okay, and then what happens?

George Zimmerman: The dispatcher asks me what direction he went on and exactly what address I was at.

. . .

Speaker 1: Okay. So you’re trying to figure out what street you’re on, okay. So you see him go here and then so what do you do to try to–

George Zimmerman: I got out of my vehicle to look at this house’s address and see if there was a sign there.

Speaker 1: Okay.

George Zimmerman: And there wasn’t.

George Zimmerman: So I walked through the dog walk to see if there was a sign here or an address that I could make out easier.

Speaker 1: Okay and then what happens?

George Zimmerman: The dispatcher asked me if I’m out of my car–

Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.

George Zimmerman: –and I said yes and they said do you know what direction he went in. I said no and they said are you following him and I said, I don’t, I don’t know, I don’t know where he went.

Speaker 1: Okay but you continue straight on the sidewalk–

Speaker 1: –up this side?

George Zimmerman: All the way through.

Speaker 1: And then what happens when you get there? You decided, you still don’t know whether, where you’re at?

George Zimmerman: I still don’t know where I was at–

George Zimmerman: –but I was able to give the dispatcher a description from the clubhouse.

Speaker 1: Mm hmm.

George Zimmerman: I said they come in straight in past the clubhouse and my car is right here.

. . .

Speaker 1: So you walked here and when you get here you realize, okay I’m just gonna go back to my car. Is that what happens or–

George Zimmerman: No. The dispatcher says, um, would you like a police officer to still come out ’cause I said I don’t know where he went.

George Zimmerman: He’s, ’cause he asked me for the fir, what direction they went in–

George Zimmerman: –what road and I said I don’t know where he went and they said, well do you still want a, uh, officer to meet you and I said yes and she, they said, where do you want them to meet you and I said at my car.

George Zimmerman: So I start walking back towards my car–

Speaker 1: Okay. Is this all dark in here?

Speaker 1: Okay. There’s no lighting back here anywhere–

George Zimmerman: No.

Speaker 1: –unless it comes from someone’s house–

George Zimmerman: Correct.

Speaker 1: –is that how it works? Okay and could you, is it all dark down here so–

Speaker 1: -you can’t see anything down here.

George Zimmerman: Unless there’s patio lights on.

Speaker 1: Okay so at what point and where from what bushes does he jump out?

George Zimmerman: It was somewhere around here.

Speaker 1: Okay. Do you know if the, is there bushes along this walkway or where are the bushes.

George Zimmerman: They’re all, they’re hedges around the, the sides and the back of the buildings.

Speaker 1: Okay. So you think it’s up here somewhere where the T is, where he jumps out?

Speaker 1: Okay. Do you remember, um, you were walking this way. Did he jump out in front of you from somewhere or did he–

George Zimmerman: I–

Speaker 1: –come up behind you? Do you remember?

George Zimmerman: I don’t recall.

Speaker 1: Okay but he was, from what you guess he was somewhere hiding at this T with the bush–

Speaker 1: –in the bushes when he jumps out. Okay and then where, where did, where’s where do you end up when he, when he, when you guys are on the ground and after all this has all ahppened. Where, where, could you ****–

George Zimmerman: He punched me in the face and I fell backwards and I don’t even know–

Speaker 1: You just know you’re somewhere in the area.

George Zimmerman: –I ended up. Yes ma’am.

. . .

Zimmerman’s own testimony can, of course, be seen as self-serving. Nevertheless, this is entirely legitimate evidence that the State must overcome if it is to prove Zimmerman guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, of a crime in this case.

http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerm...back-zimmerman-recalls-fatal-fight-to-police/

SANFORD, Fla. —George Zimmerman's defense team does not want the state to call him certain terms, including "vigilante" and "wannabe cop," during his second-degree murder trial.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...20431428/-/tojsguz/-/index.html#ixzz2VMQtzy6a

Of course not but GZ's own testimony brings those two terms to mind in a NY minute. Thanks for the link, Daisy!!IMO

I am really cross that the Defense grilled Rachel for nearly two days and Mark Osterman is given a free pass by both sides. Disgraceful IMO

Zimmerman Update Exclusive &#8212; Mid-Day 7 &#8212; Serino more ambivalent, Osterman supports self-defense

Posted by Andrew Branca
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 1:52pm
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...ivalent-osterman-supports-self-defense//#more

Motion to Strike Key Serino Testimony Most Damaging to State

The Court opened today with a request from Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda, before the jury was present, to ask Judge Nelson to strike perhaps the most telling blow from yesterday&#8217;s testimony from former Investigator Chris Serino. You can see our analysis of that testimony from yesterday here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 6 &#8211; Analysis & Video &#8211; State&#8217;s witness Chris Serino seriously undermines charge
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/0...ivalent-osterman-supports-self-defense//#more

I say &#8220;former Investigator&#8221; because it turns out that although Chris Serino remains with the Sanford Police Department he was demoted from Investigatory to Partrolman a few months after the shooting for the apparent reason that he was willing to support a charge of manslaughter but not second degree murder: see here for details:

Zimmerman Update &#8212; Investigator Chris Serino Demoted to Patrolman by Superiors
http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerm...ris-serino-demoted-to-patrolman-by-superiors/

Christopher Serino, cop who said George Zimmerman should be charged, is transferred from investigative unit
(CBS) SANFORD, Fla.

http://lawofselfdefense.com/wp-cont...er-Serino-demoted-to-partrolman-CBS-News1.pdf

BDLR argued that when O&#8217;Mara asked Serino if he believed Zimmerman to be telling the truth, Serino responded that he did, that such a testament of a law enforcement officer of a defendant was inappropriate and must be struck. He &#8220;ambushed&#8221; the defense with a detailed motion the State&#8217;s office had presumably spent much of the night preparing, and Judge Nelson required the defense to evaluate and respond to the motion while standing in court. O&#8217;Mara did the best he could under the circumstances, but Nelson elected to side with the State. When the jury was brought into the courtroom she played the audio of that part of O&#8217;Mara&#8217;s cross, and instructed the jury that the evidence was struck and not to be considered by them.

Frankly, it seems to this observer is that all that was accomplished by this maneuver is that after hearing the statement as the last thing before being sequestered for the night and having a chance to sleep on it, the jury heard it again first thing in the morning to set the tone for the day ahead. It struck me as an odd maneuver, and odd timing of the maneuver, by the State (but then so much of the State&#8217;s case has).

Former Investigator (now Patrolman) Chris Serino, Sanford Police Department

On the stand today Serino seemed notably more ambivalent in his testimony in the sense that he appeared to be making an effort to provide both the State and the defense with information useful to them in answering their questions. He was agreeable with BDLR&#8217;s suggestions that the use of phrases like &#8220;f@cking punks&#8221; and &#8220;those @ssholes&#8221; suggested ill-will, hatred, spite, the conditions for a &#8220;depraved mind.&#8221; On the other hand, when questioned by O&#8217;Mara he was asked if Zimmerman had barked out the words as BDLR had done on direct, and Serino replied he had not. When asked his perception of when he heard Zimmerman speak the words Serino replied they seemed to convey a sense of frustration.

In the end, Serino&#8217;s testimony today was ambivalent between the State and defense, as opposed to strongly in favor of the defense yesterday. Nevertheless, ambivalent testimony from a State witness is a clear win for the defense, given the State&#8217;s need to meet its burden of persuasion beyond a reasonable doubt.

Mark Osterman, Federal Air Marshall, State Witness & Zimmerman &#8220;Best-Friend&#8221;

After Serino the next State witness was Mark Osterman, a Federal Air Marshall, and self-described best friend of George Zimmerman. Osterman had written a book recounting his knowledge of the events, much of it based on his personal conversations with George in the days immediately following the shooting.

Hearing Osterman testify was extremely surreal. It was almost like having Zimmerman himself on the stand, except without the opportunity for the State to cross-examine the actual defendant. Osterman&#8217;s testimony was 100% consistent with Zimmerman&#8217;s own recounting.

The only portion that might arguably have favored the State&#8217;s position is that Osterman recounted in his book that Zimmerman had told him he had moved Martin&#8217;s &#8220;hands&#8221; away from his body. Martin&#8217;s hands were photographed under his body in photos taken on the scene, and BDLR may feel he&#8217;s (finally) identified an inconsistency in Zimmerman&#8217;s recounting. In fact, it is my recollection that Zimmerman&#8217;s statement was that he moved Martin&#8217;s &#8220;arms&#8221; away from his body. He could well have put his hands on Martin&#8217;s elbows and pushed them away from Martin&#8217;s body, thus moving his &#8220;arms&#8221; away but not his hands.

If that WAS BLDR&#8217;s goal, he spent a great deal of time getting there, all the while replaying Zimmerman&#8217;s narrative of self-defense. It simply didn&#8217;t strike me as any way for the State to advance substantive closer to their goal of proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

OK, court is back in session. More to follow in the end-of-day wrap-up.

&#8211;Andrew

Trayvon Murder Trial Starts With Bad Jokes and F Bombs + Michael Hastings and the Feds:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEq3KwFrRBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEq3KwFrRBQ[/ame]

George Zimmerman's attorney decided to tell a terrible joke to open things up at the Trayvon trial, while the prosecution used Zimmerman's own words to show the warped nature of the defendant and looked at DNA evidence to dispel ideas of self-defense. Retired FBI Special Agent Jim Clemente returns to Crime Time to react to the court footage and talk about Michael Hastings and government pressure on journalists.

http://thelip.tv/crime-time

Hosted by Allison Hope Weiner, Crime Time looks at the most prominent cases being played out in the media and offers in depth examination of them.

We'll be following the trial with in depth analysis and would LOVE feedback from this amazing community! I've learned so much here and I hope to learn so much more. THANK YOU!
Thanks,
Tabetha

Medical examiner accused of washing feet in autopsy sink
Published On: Jun 18 2013
Channel 4's Tarik Minor has more on the controversy.

A medical examiner (Dr. Rao) is accused of touching cadavers with her bare hands, washing her feet in the autopsy sink, and performing unnecessary autopsies to make money. . . to name a few.

Video at the link
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Medica...sink/-/475880/20621988/-/1wqb3oz/-/index.html

Zimmerman Has Been Star Witness Against Himself

"I’m sure I wasn’t the only person puzzled by Zimmerman’s account to Sanford Police investigator Doris Singleton the night of the killing. He seemed to have a clear recollection of how everything occurred, but when asked out of the blue about the position of Trayvon Martin’s body, the way Travyon went down when he was shot, Zimmerman said he couldn’t remember.

In another interview, Zimmerman claimed he spread out Trayvon’s arms after the shooting, but a photo taken immediately after the shooting shows Martin face down with his arms under his body.

Zimmerman told Singleton that Trayvon jumped out at him from bushes, but during the scene walk-through and re-creation the next day, there are only spare bushes and Zimmerman doesn’t mention them. He says Trayvon came up from behind buildings."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/02/3482272/fabiola-santiago-zimmerman-has.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/05/3486014/trayvon-martins-mother-testifies.html
State rests and defense begins its case in George Zimmerman trial
Trayvon Martin’s mother sat at the witness stand Friday, head held high, and decisively insisted that the chilling cries captured on a 911 call belonged to only one person: her slain child, Trayvon Benjamin Martin.
“I heard my son screaming,” Sybrina Fulton told jurors in much-anticipated testimony for the prosecution.
Hours later, George Zimmerman’s mother sat in the same witness stand for the defense. With equal conviction, she swore it was her son howling in panic on the night of Feb. 26, 2012.
“That way he is screaming, it describes to me anguish, fear. I would say terror,” Gladys Zimmerman told jurors in the second-degree murder trial of her son.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/05/3486014/trayvon-martins-mother-testifies.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/05/3485862/prosecutors-wrapping-up-case-in.html
Zimmerman jury to ponder conflicting testimony
Jurors in the George Zimmerman trial are heading into their weekend with a lot of courtroom drama and conflicting testimony to digest.
Friday's action-packed session saw the prosecution rest its case, and the judge reject a defense request to acquit Zimmerman of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year.
The mothers of both Martin and Zimmerman listened to the same 911 recording of someone screaming for help, and each said she was convinced the voice was that of her own son.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/05/3485862/prosecutors-wrapping-up-case-in.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...rman-analysts-bury-me-20130706,0,3643246.post
George Zimmerman: Analysts bury M.E.
Thank goodness for the legal analysts. They do help us make it through the high-profile trials by explaining court procedure, analyzing the lawyers' strategies and assessing the witnesses' performances.
At the George Zimmerman trial, the most controversial witness may have been medical examiner Shiping Bao. His first round of reviews Friday were terrible; the second round may have been even worse. Bao got worse reviews than "The Lone Ranger," a box-office bomb for Disney.
Larry Kobilinsky, a forensic scientist, told CNN that Bao was "an unmitigated disaster for the prosecution. To end with Dr. Bao, it couldn't be worse."
Kobilinsky dismissed Bao as "amateurish" and said the medical examiner lost credibility with every cross-examination question.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...an-trial-state-rests-20130705,0,1610504.story
George Zimmerman trial: Both moms take the stand
Trayvon Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, listened from the witness stand as prosecutors played a now-famous recording of someone screaming for help in the background of a 911 call the night her son was killed.
When attorneys had played that same recording during jury selection at George Zimmerman's murder trial, she had quietly walked out of the room.

The testimony of those two mothers bookended a dramatic Day 19 at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial. Prosecutors rested their case. Defense attorneys began theirs. And both sides spent much of the afternoon making impassioned legal arguments in a debate the state won.
There also were bizarre moments. The lock on the evidence locker — a room just off the courtroom that contains Zimmerman's gun, Trayvon's clothes and all the other items admitted as evidence — malfunctioned and a locksmith had to drill his way in.
And the medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Trayvon made three dramatic changes of opinion during a contentious stint on the witness stand.

http://www.local10.com/news/guide-g...les/-/1717324/20720278/-/cine5mz/-/index.html
TRIAL GUIDE: George Zimmerman trial prosecution's witnesses' testimony

http://www.local10.com/news/george-...eza/-/1717324/20858116/-/kxs74wz/-/index.html
George Zimmerman trial: Defense witness Jorge Meza
George Zimmerman trial's defense called their second witness to the stand Friday.
Zimmerman's uncle Jorge Meza, who was born in Peru, said agreed with his sister Gladys Zimmerman Meza. He claims the screams for help captured in the 911 recording played in court numerous times were those of his nephew.
The Orange County Sheriff's Deputy told jurors that he first heard the recording without knowing what it was.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/07/05/prosecutors-prepare-to-rest-case-in-zimmerman-trial/
ME Testifies Trayvon Suffered After Shooting
Under cross examination, defense attorney Don West questioned why Martin’s hands weren’t covered in order to preserve evidence on his fingers and why it took three hours to remove the body from the scene. West and Bao talked over each other at several points, requiring the judge to tell everyone to speak one at a time.
With jurors out of the courtroom, Bao acknowledge he had changed his opinion in recent weeks on two matters related to the teen’s death — how long Martin was alive after being shot and the effect of marijuana detected in Martin’s body at the time of his death.
The associate medical examiner said last November that he believed Martin was alive one to three minutes. He also said Friday that marijuana could have affected Martin physically or mentally, even though he said it didn’t last year.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21011075674796/zimmerman-jurors-leave-after-eventful-day/
Relatives clash over 911 call in Fla. shooting
The mothers of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman listened Friday to the same 911 recording of someone screaming for help, and each said she was convinced the voice was that of her own son.
The starkly conflicting testimony over the potentially crucial piece of evidence came midway through Zimmerman's murder trial in the 2012 shooting of the unarmed 17-year-old.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/l...urors-leave-after-eventful-day/#ixzz2YH2Bn06K

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Trayvo...tify-at-George-Zimmerman-Trial-214397791.html
Judge Denies Defense Request for George Zimmerman's Acquittal
The judge in the George Zimmerman trial denied a defense request to acquit him Friday.
“The court finds that the state has presented sufficient evidence, both direct and circumstantial, to allow his charge to go to the jury,” Circuit Judge Debra Nelson said.
The jury was then brought back into the courtroom, and the state formally rested its case shortly thereafter, after calling more than three dozen witnesses over two weeks.

Reminder: this is a media links only thread. :tyou:

Defense seeks to introduce Trayvon Martin's texts

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...p-911_calls_becoming_heart_of_zimmerman_tr-ap

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — Defense attorneys asked a Florida judge on Tuesday to introduce Trayvon Martin's text messages and a Facebook posting dealing with fighting as evidence at George Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial.

As defense attorneys neared the finish of their presentation, they called computer analyst Richard Connor to read to the judge text messages he found on the 17-year-old Martin's phone in which he purportedly recounted a fight he had been in to a friend.........

When a frustrated Nelson abruptly told the attorneys that she would rule Wednesday, West continued to address her after she officially had adjourned for the evening. He complained about a schedule that had lawyers working weekends and taking multiple depositions during the trial, in which jurors have been sequestered.......

More at link.....

I see there is no 'real trial' thread today so will try to update with articles:

Judge rules against Zimmerman on evidence

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/defense-winds-down-case-george-zimmerman-trial

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — A central Florida judge ruled Wednesday that Trayvon Martin's cellphone texts on fighting and a defense animation depicting the fight between Martin and George Zimmerman won't be introduced as evidence at Zimmerman's trial.

Judge Debra Nelson made her ruling Wednesday, a day after she heard arguments on the matter. Prosecutors had claimed the texts were irrelevant and taken out of context. They also objected to the computer animation, questioning its accuracy and saying it would mislead jurors.

"This is a murder trial. This isn't 'Casablanca.' This isn't 'Iron Man,'" prosecutor Richard Mantei said.

The judge seemed concerned about the animation's accuracy during arguments. While the animation can't be introduced as evidence that can be reviewed by jurors during their deliberations, defense attorneys may be able to use it during closing arguments, she ruled........

The judge agreed with prosecutors' concerns about introducing the 17-year-old's text messages. But defense attorney Don West had argued the texts were relevant since they showed Martin's interest in fighting and physical capabilities.

More at link.....

Trayvon Martin's texts cannot be used; Use of animation limited

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/defense-seeks-introduce-trayvon-martins-texts/nYkjf/

SANFORD, Fla. —

A judge ruled that Trayvon Martin's cellphone texts on fighting and a defense animation depicting the fight between Martin and George Zimmerman won't be introduced as evidence at Zimmerman's trial...........

The judge says the animation can't be introduced as evidence that can be reviewed by jurors during their deliberations but defense attorneys may be able to use it during closing arguments.......more.......

Zimmerman declines to testify; defense rests

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/justice/zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- George Zimmerman left court-watchers waiting until the last minute Wednesday, but finally announced after his defense team offered their last witnesses that he would not testify in his own defense in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

The defense rested its case Wednesday afternoon after Judge Debra Nelson refused a defense request to enter a judgment of acquittal without sending the case to the jury.

That left Zimmerman's father, Robert Zimmerman, as the last defense witness. He testified that it was his son who was screaming on the infamous 911 recording of the fatal altercation that claimed the 17-year-old Martin's life in 2012.........

In one memorable moment Wednesday, attorneys from both sides grappled with a foam dummy on the floor of a Florida courtroom, working to demonstrate to rapt jurors their competing versions of what happened the rainy 2012 night Trayvon Martin died in an altercation with George Zimmerman.

More at link.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aandatruckrepair
Back