Meredith Kercher murdered in Perugia, Amanda Knox convicted #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this -- it is inconceivable to me that the Knox family sent no condolences to the Kerchers, particularly given the personal attacks -- quite apart from the murder -- made on Meredith by Knox and her friends/allies. Awful.

s

To my knowledge there's no book on how to behave when one's daughter is accused of murdering someone else's daughter. Sometimes the survivors of a crime victim consider any contact by the "other side" offensive.

It is inconceivable to me that the victim's father sold that article to a tabloid, but I haven't been in his shoes. Nor the Knox's.

To my knowledge there's no book on how to behave when one's daughter is accused of murdering someone else's daughter. Sometimes the survivors of a crime victim consider any contact by the "other side" offensive.

It is inconceivable to me that the victim's father sold that article to a tabloid, but I haven't been in his shoes. Nor the Knox's.

Wasn't claiming that there was such a book, or that the Knoxs had or hadn't followed it. I would suggest that most ethical dilemmas that we face are similarly "bookless" -- that's what makes them dilemmas and how we respond to them is what, ethically, makes us.

Kercher is a journo by trade and the Daily Mail, Tory bias, xenophobia and other editorial shortcomings notwithstanding, is decidedly midmarket as the UK "tabloids" go. I doubt he wrote this article to cash in on his daughter's death or merely to score points. With the film -- tellingly, tentatively entitled "The Amanda Knox Story" -- due soon, Meredith herself seems increasingly a minor character in this case. If I were in Kercher's shoes, I'd do everything I could to keep her from being further effaced.

s

Wasn't claiming that there was such a book, or that the Knoxs had or hadn't followed it. I would suggest that most ethical dilemmas that we face are similarly "bookless" -- that's what makes them dilemmas and how we respond to them is what, ethically, makes us.

Kercher is a journo by trade and the Daily Mail, Tory bias, xenophobia and other editorial shortcomings notwithstanding, is decidedly midmarket as the UK "tabloids" go. I doubt he wrote this article to cash in on his daughter's death or merely to score points. With the film -- tellingly, tentatively entitled "The Amanda Knox Story" -- due soon, Meredith herself seems increasingly a minor character in this case. If I were in Kercher's shoes, I'd do everything I could to keep her from being further effaced.

s

BBM. And I totally agree, it's telling that Meredith is just some 'British Student' even in this very thread title and we're supposed to be a VICTIM friendly forum. Just saying.

Perugia, Italy CNN | Amanda Knox: Court has made 'huge mistake'

---snipped---

"Former American student Amanda Knox gave an emotional plea Saturday while appealing her conviction in the murder of her British roommate in Italy.

Knox spoke for about 15 minutes and broke down in tears. She said that she and her former Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, are innocent and unjustly accused.

"I've been condemned for the crime I did not commit," Knox said.

Knox also added that court has made "a huge mistake."

"I don't know how to face the time ahead," she said.

Knox was sentenced last year to 26 years in prison for the killing of Meredith Kercher at the villa they shared in Perugia, the central Italian town where both were students."

more @ link

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/12/11/italy.knox.appeal/index.html?hpt=T1

Very telling too IMO... they refuse any blame for anything, every time.

That's probably why AK thought she'd get away with it. Her parents may not have held her accountable for much.

Perugia, Italy CNN | Amanda Knox: Court has made 'huge mistake'

---snipped---

"Former American student Amanda Knox gave an emotional plea Saturday while appealing her conviction in the murder of her British roommate in Italy.

Knox spoke for about 15 minutes and broke down in tears. She said that she and her former Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, are innocent and unjustly accused.

"I've been condemned for the crime I did not commit," Knox said.

Knox also added that court has made "a huge mistake."

"I don't know how to face the time ahead," she said.

Knox was sentenced last year to 26 years in prison for the killing of Meredith Kercher at the villa they shared in Perugia, the central Italian town where both were students."

more @ link

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/12/11/italy.knox.appeal/index.html?hpt=T1

I wonder if she'll ever tell the truth. If she wasn't involved in the killing she knows A LOT more than she's saying. JMO

"Amanda Knox Makes Tearful Appeal in Court"

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/amanda-knox-makes-emotional-appeal-in-italian-court/19756496#gcpDiscussPageUrlAnchor

"I'm very sorry Meredith is no longer living," a tearful Knox said. "I too have little sisters and the idea of their suffering, their loss, terrifies me."

"What you are going through, and what Meredith was subjected to, is incomprehensible and unacceptable," she said. "You are not alone as you remember her. ... My heart is shattered for all of you."

Kercher's family did not attend. Their lawyer, Francesco Maresca, left the courtroom as Knox spoke, saying later that he "didn't want to have to listen to these statements, which came too late, are inappropriate, devoid of any significance and only intended (to impress) the appeals court."

i read the report of the MP who visited her. Isnt it interesting that she wrote an "award winning" story of a drug/sex induced killing, according to the article?

why on earth would an innocent person do such a thing?

i read the report of the MP who visited her. Isnt it interesting that she wrote an "award winning" story of a drug/sex induced killing, according to the article?

why on earth would an innocent person do such a thing?

Do you have a link for that?

If Amanda is so innocent than why will RS not give himself OR Amanda an alibi?

It's simple: They either

A. helped participate in the murder of Meredith
B. They were present in the cottage when Meredith was killed.

It's either one of those.

P.S. I thought 26 years was considered "Life in Prison" in Italy

s

Fair enough. I really meant what I said: I'm not criticizing the father. In fact, I rarely criticize the families of crime victims or perps. I think they're all put in impossible positions.

My point about the lack of "a book" was that Knox's family may have believed that expressions of sympathy from them would be unwelcome. I've certainly read victims' families complain about such contacts in the past.

Unfortunately, adversarial systems tend to make adversaries of relatives, too (whether the defendant is in fact guilty or innocent). It always makes me sad, because, as in this case, they are all victimized in the end.

Well, there you go. Amanda Knox expresses sympathy for the victim's family and the family's lawyer makes a show of marching out of the courtroom in silent protest.

Defendants and their families really can't win this particular game. If they don't reach out, it's because they are cold and the defendant is "guilty". If they do reach out, it's "inappropriate", "too late", a "smokescreen", etc.

If Amanda is so innocent than why will RS not give himself OR Amanda an alibi?

It's simple: They either

A. helped participate in the murder of Meredith
B. They were present in the cottage when Meredith was killed.

It's either one of those.

P.S. I thought 26 years was considered "Life in Prison" in Italy

I definitely think at the very least they were involved in the cleanup.

Fair enough. I really meant what I said: I'm not criticizing the father. In fact, I rarely criticize the families of crime victims or perps. I think they're all put in impossible positions.

My point about the lack of "a book" was that Knox's family may have believed that expressions of sympathy from them would be unwelcome. I've certainly read victims' families complain about such contacts in the past.

Unfortunately, adversarial systems tend to make adversaries of relatives, too (whether the defendant is in fact guilty or innocent). It always makes me sad, because, as in this case, they are all victimized in the end.

Thanks for your post -- I absolutely agree. This really is a case in point. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for the families involved, particularly once the media saturation begins. And much of the coverage of this case seems to focus exclusively on AK and her "story," while Meredith, the murder victim, becomes an inconvenient footnote. Whether that's because AK is now viewed in some circles as a victim herself, somehow displacing MK, I don't know. Seems that way.

best,

o

Well, there you go. Amanda Knox expresses sympathy for the victim's family and the family's lawyer makes a show of marching out of the courtroom in silent protest.

Defendants and their families really can't win this particular game. If they don't reach out, it's because they are cold and the defendant is "guilty". If they do reach out, it's "inappropriate", "too late", a "smokescreen", etc.

Not really. She should have stood up and said what she was doing exactly from 9:30pm until about 12:30... instead of all the hogwash stated earlier and trying to appeal to the juror's emotions. The lawyer probably walked out because AK basically stated that over 20 judges and the trial jurors have 'made a mistake'... might have disgusted him.

Not really. She should have stood up and said what she was doing exactly from 9:30pm until about 12:30... instead of all the hogwash stated earlier and trying to appeal to the juror's emotions. The lawyer probably walked out because AK basically stated that over 20 judges and the trial jurors have 'made a mistake'... might have disgusted him.

Actually, judges and jurors make mistakes all the time.

Actually, judges and jurors make mistakes all the time.

For real :rolleyes: . Just saying that a judges/jurors/lawyer of victim might not think that the case and a very weak statement IMO. Instead of accusing them of making a mistake... why not address/express what part(s) they supposidly got wrong that got you convicted for all those years. It really could be as simple as telling what they were doing during that time period... if not involved in Meredith's murder. Instead of the lies and ambiguous statements.

Oh, come on. OF COURSE she's saying they made a mistake; that's the point of the hearing and couldn't have been a surprise.

I can only go on the link above; it states the lawyer walked out in response to AK's expression of sympathy for MK's family.

As for what AK should have done in the past, we'll agree she made mistakes (whether she's guilty or innocent).

But we were discussing what she did recently.

For real :rolleyes: . Just saying that a judges/jurors/lawyer of victim might not think that the case and a very weak statement IMO. Instead of accusing them of making a mistake... why not address/express what part(s) they supposidly got wrong that got you convicted for all those years. It really could be as simple as telling what they were doing during that time period... if not involved in Meredith's murder. Instead of the lies and ambiguous statements.

Let's assume for a moment that AK really does recall details from that time period that she has never shared. Her lawyer might very well advise her to keep them to herself.

Anything new she says now will be used against her, just as conflicting statements she has made in the past have been used against her.

I don't even know if Italian law would allow such testimony at an appeal. It wouldn't be allowed in most U.S. jurisdictions, not without a special ruling from the court that it would hear "new evidence".

If innocent NO need to keep silent about what you were doing that night at that time period. That is what got her in such trouble in the beginning.
Conflicting hasn't been the problem, outright lies have been the problem.

So you are saying to claim the judges/jurors made a mistake is the correct thing to do... when the new jurors will be looking over the exact same evidence?

She better get used to staying right where she is now, in prison.

Yeah, he walked out because he was disgusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06