Mexico - 10 members of Polygamist LeBaron Family murdered, Sonora, Nov 2019 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This arrest just got real interesting ...

Apparently, this “El Mayo” who is supposedly the leader of La Linea in Janos Chihuahua has no criminal record and was arrested along with two of his brothers. One of these brothers is a veterinarian. This guy “confessed” to be El Mayo in order to have one of his brothers released. According to the article, the prosecutors confirmed that they have no criminal files on these two.

other allegations of planted evidence and warrentless searches by the military who carried out the operation.

maybe they have the right guys but call me skeptical as this looks pretty messy.

‘El Mayo’, sin antecedentes en Chihuahua

Last edited:
This arrest just got real interesting ...

Apparently, this “El Mayo” who is supposedly the leader of La Linea in Janos Chihuahua has no criminal record and was arrested along with two of his brothers. One of these brothers is a veterinarian. This guy “confessed” to be El Mayo in order to have one of his brothers released. According to the article, the prosecutors confirmed that they have no criminal files on these two.

other allegations of planted evidence and warrentless searches by the military who carried out the operation.

maybe they have the right guys but call me skeptical as this looks pretty messy.

‘El Mayo’, sin antecedentes en Chihuahua
Thanks for the update.^^^

It is still looking like they were a group of women trying to flee, and this may not have been carried out by the cartels ?
The cartels are the obvious suspects --- but this massacre feels very personal.
If the women were heading to a wedding-- why take such isolated back roads ?
Who were they hiding from ?
Probably not the drug lords. Imo.

Thanks for the update.^^^

It is still looking like they were a group of women trying to flee, and this may not have been carried out by the cartels ?
The cartels are the obvious suspects --- but this massacre feels very personal.
If the women were heading to a wedding-- why take such isolated back roads ?
Who were they hiding from ?
Probably not the drug lords. Imo.

My guess is that La Linea is responsible as its similar to other atrocities that they’re responsible for especially in Juarez.

When people think about the cartels in the states, they mostly associate them with drug and human trafficking. There’s a lot more to it as these cartels make a lot of their money through a wide range of other criminal activities in Mexico. In this particular area black market fuel is a big thing. You would need to go to either Agua Prieta or somewhere like Janos or Nuevo Casas Grandes in Chihuahua to buy legal fuel and do any shopping.

As for the road that they were traveling on, it’s about as good as it gets in that area. There is only like one other route into Chihuahua state from Bavispe/ La Mora . would take the better part of a day and is pretty much just as remote until you get to Agua Prieta some 70-80 miles to the north.

This opinion piece describes one of the black market fuel trade being run by the cartels and their associated gangs.
En masacre hay más culpables que los asesinos

Last edited:
In my googling of this case, I found that there are memoirs written by women who escaped from this sect. I just love memoirs, so I bought them all. I'm currently reading The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner, who is the 39th child of the founder, Joel LeBaron. If anyone out there likes memoirs, I really recommend this book. It's so powerfully written and such a incredible book so far. Fascinating.

Next on my list is The Polygamist's Daughter by Anna LeBaron, one of Ervil's over 50 children, then I will tackle Favorite Wife by Susan Ray Schmidt, Verlan LeBaron's 6th wife.

This was such a tragic crime. Reading about the history of these cults is very fascinating and sad to think of people living like that. Ervil was pure evil personified

In my googling of this case, I found that there are memoirs written by women who escaped from this sect. I just love memoirs, so I bought them all. I'm currently reading The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner, who is the 39th child of the founder, Joel LeBaron. If anyone out there likes memoirs, I really recommend this book. It's so powerfully written and such a incredible book so far. Fascinating.

Next on my list is The Polygamist's Daughter by Anna LeBaron, one of Ervil's over 50 children, then I will tackle Favorite Wife by Susan Ray Schmidt, Verlan LeBaron's 6th wife.

This was such a tragic crime. Reading about the history of these cults is very fascinating and sad to think of people living like that. Ervil was pure evil personified
Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer, also one of Verlan’s wives, is great. I highly recommend it.

Thank you, I just bought it!
If you can find it, also read Rena Chynoweth’s “The Blood Covenant” book. She was the 13th and last wife of Ervil LeBaron. She also killed in his name. She was found not guilty in a later trial. It’s a very self serving book but fascinating read into the cult. There are also two others books which detail his cult and crimes. They are “The Prophet of Blood” by Ben Bradlee and “The 4 O’Clock Murders” by Scott Anderson.

Sept 6, 2023 update - arrest

[…]

24-year-old Ivan Gustavo Hernandez-Cabral was arrested Tuesday in Albuquerque for illegal entry into a country. He is wanted in connection to the 2019 ambush and massacre of three women and six children in Sonora, Mexico.

[…]

Marshal Service officials said Hernandez-Cabral was being held pending extradition to Mexico in connection with the Nov. 4, 2019, ambush that left three women and six children dead on a road in Sonora.

Five children survived the shooting, which authorities said happened when cartel gunmen opened fire on three vehicles full of women and children who had dual citizenship and lived in the area.

The Mormon group was headed to a wedding, and authorities said some of the victims were burned alive.

The U.S. Border Patrol caught Hernandez-Cabral in July after he illegally crossed the border near Columbus, New Mexico, according to the Marshals Service

"Marshal Service officials said Hernandez-Cabral was being held pending extradition to Mexico in connection with the Nov. 4, 2019, ambush..."

I truly hope justice is served in this case. There is so much endemic corruption in northern Mexico, it could go either way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back