Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This was a case involving a British family who holidayed in Greece and 48 hours after arriving at the complex the maid found the children dead and the adults lying unconscious. The culprit was a gas boiler in an outhouse directly next to the building and the fumes seeped through the walls into their accommodation/

This was in October, but I doubt that they had the heating on. The boiler also comes on to heat hot water for the taps, so carbon monoxide will still leak even if the heating is not on.

Perhaps this was a similar situation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_of_Christianne_and_Robert_Shepherd

How sad, whatever it was. :(

Wouldn't the condo need to be "air tight" in order for CO poisoning? I would think windows would be open if it's 80 degrees, even 69 degrees at night would be great sleeping weather with the window cracked.

Well, as ‘air tight’ as any normally constructed home. And if AC was on, no windows open. Definitely possible for CO from a faulty appliance to fill the home with enough CO to kill them.

As someone mentioned upthread, the condo might have had high levels of CO when they arrived. You can’t see it or smell it. You unpack your stuff, start feeling icky, set the kids up in front of the tv, lay down...everyone eventually rendered unconscious. Seems the most likely possibility at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't the condo need to be "air tight" in order for CO poisoning? I would think windows would be open if it's 80 degrees, even 69 degrees at night would be great sleeping weather with the window cracked.

There's been a few murder/suicide (while on vacation) cases recently. Hope that's not what happened, but it is possible.

No. It does not to be air tight. No property is ever air tight anyway, but a property would have to be very, very well ventilated to counteract the effect of of CO leak.

An ex partner of mine is a gas engineer so I learnt a bit from him about this sort of thing.

So true, Hippononymous! I have my first and I have definitely caught myself getting out with it running a couple of times. I am not all sure the the push button ignitions are an improvement.

Mine will beep if I walk away with my fob and it’s still on, but if the key is still in the car there is no notification. This is making me paranoid now. My daughter’s room is above our garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the rules for pesticide use in Mexico are more than likely different than what we have in the US. Probably less stringent.

Jana Weland, a relative, told CNN the family arrived in Tulum on March 15. They were staying in a rental house they found through a vacation rental company. The last contact the family had with the Sharps was a picture the son posted to Snapchat of his feet by the water that day, Weland said.

The Sharps were supposed to return from their vacation on Wednesday, Weland said. Kevin, who owns a beer distribution company, failed to check in with his employees that morning as planned, which was unlike him, Weland said.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/iowa-family-of-4-found-dead-in-mexico

Yes quick google search says it would not take long at all if it were in a closed environment with no venting- running car with garage door closed.
But this was in a open space. Lower concentration. Where there windows open? Being in a vacation resort it would seem so.
And CO would be the result of burning, which means the furnace would be on and windows closed.
I thought I read somewhere that CO is heavy and concentrated on the lowest level.
I'm not sure if true.
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere that CO is heavy and concentrated on the lowest level.
I'm not sure if true.
Moo

I have heard the same thing. That's why they say to have a detector low to the ground (like a plug in) and not rely on smoke/CO detector combos that are on the ceiling.

I'm not sure if true.
Moo

Is it an up and down unit?
Still would want to know the source and then if so did the upper unit occupants have any symptoms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

This happened in the U.S. Virgin Islands

"Terminix fined $9.2 million for use of pesticide that poisoned Delaware family"

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...-pesticide-poisoned-delaware-family/884758001

They almost died and are still suffering long term effects.
Something to think about as a possibility of happening in Mexico. The pesticide was banned but still being used, could definitely happen south of the boarder.

This happened in the U.S. Virgin Islands

"Terminix fined $9.2 million for use of pesticide that poisoned Delaware family"

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...-pesticide-poisoned-delaware-family/884758001

They almost died and are still suffering long term effects.
Something to think about as a possibility of happening in Mexico. The pesticide was banned but still being used, could definitely happen south of the boarder.
Wow then others there could be in danger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I wonder how they could announce "No foul play" so quickly, without an autopsy, given the state of the bodies? I think they are being ultra-protective of their tourism. In fact, the last paragraph says: "En circunstancias aún desconocidas, la fuente reveló que los cuatro turistas estadounidenses al parecer hijos, papá y mamá ya están muertos y se desconoce aún si fueron asesinados, toda vez que los cuerpos estaban en estado de putrefacción en el interior de un Condominio ubicado en la Riviera Maya."

which means "Under unknown circumstances, the Fountain (must be local press) revealed that the four American tourists, who appeared to be children and their mother and father, are dead and it is not known if they were murdered, since the bodies were in a state of decomposition in the inside of a condominium located in the Riviera Maya." (No Google Translate, I'm close to fluent in Spanish)

Until the autopsy results are out, I'm withholding judgement on what really happened. A week of decomposition can hide a lot.
It's a vacation spot. You don't want to scare others by giving them bad press.
Not sure they can tell just by sight if the bodies have trauma. However I would assume that there's no blood on walls from splatter and such.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back