GUILTY Mexico - Monica Beresford-Redman, 42, Cancun, 5 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bruce Beresford-Redman's strange journey to Mexico murder trial
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...dmans-strange-journey-to-mexico-murder-trial/

Bruce Beresford-Redmond arrived in Cancun shortly before midnight February 8th - much to the surprise of virtually everyone - from the general in charge of security for the area, to the prosecutor of the murder case, and even his own defense attorney.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the court. The police investigator and a criminal expert the defense wanted to question were both on vacation, out of the city. As to the physical evidence the defense expected to examine, it was missing - all of it - no blood samples, no clothing, nothing. There was no plausible explanation from the prosecution. At one point the defense proposed, and the judge considered, breaking the locks where the evidence would have been held.

more at link......

Just caught this story on 48 Hours Mystery tonight.

In agreement with the article above, they stated that several items of evidence from the prosecution were just poof! missing and several things were miss handled. How does that happen?

They also had another woman on who had stayed at the resort a few weeks after Monica who was almost raped by a hotel worker that had come to her room to bring a bottle of wine that she and her friend had requested. When the worker dropped the wine off, he forced his way into the room and attempted to assault her. The friend at the time was out of the room on the balcony on a telephone call. As the worker was trying to rape this woman, she yelled for her roommate and he took off when he saw someone else was in the room. The incident was immediately reported to the hotel by the woman's father and he says the hotel management completely dismissed it.

The children are still with Bruce's parents but Monica's sisters are due back in court April 2nd in an attempt to gain custody.

Just caught this story on 48 Hours Mystery tonight.

In agreement with the article above, they stated that several items of evidence from the prosecution were just poof! missing and several things were miss handled. How does that happen?

They also had another woman on who had stayed at the resort a few weeks after Monica who was almost raped by a hotel worker that had come to her room to bring a bottle of wine that she and her friend had requested. When the worker dropped the wine off, he forced his way into the room and attempted to assault her. The friend at the time was out of the room on the balcony on a telephone call. As the worker was trying to rape this woman, she yelled for her roommate and he took off when he saw someone else was in the room. The incident was immediately reported to the hotel by the woman's father and he says the hotel management completely dismissed it.

The children are still with Bruce's parents but Monica's sisters are due back in court April 2nd in an attempt to gain custody.

BBM: mrsu, I thought the program reported that the father was told by hotel management that they had dismissed the worker in question, not that management refused to address the matter. Even if it wasn't true and they just had the waiter lay low for a few days, it seems to me more likely that management SAID they dismissed the worker.

(Hell, I worked a theater box office when I was young and not as good-natured as I am today; I tended to respond to rudeness with equal rudeness. Management was always telling patrons who called to complain that they had "fired" me.)

I watched 48 HRS tonight too. I sort of always assumed he did it but very surprised that the judge actually held for trial from what they said came out in the hearing about missing evidence and other things about the invesitgation.

Interesting article of the making of 48 Hrs' video of Redman and prison conditions:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...h-bruce-beresford-redman-in-a-mexican-prison/

I'm speculating here, but the case against Beresford Redmond was never really based on forensics. It was reported early on that the blood stains didn't match the victim or Beresford Redmond.

Of course, the defense should still have the right to test the missing evidence to see if it implicates someone else; but the judge may have decided the missing forensics are simply irrelevant.

I'm surprised this case isn't getting more attention here. Surely we should all suspect Beresford Redmond, given the state of his marriage and the fact that his wife had emptied their bank accounts. On the other hand, we should all be concerned about the missing evidence.

And how did Redmond kill his wife so noisily in a room that also contained their children? Did he really keep her dead body there along with his living children all day? Have the children been brainwashed? Were they too young to remember? (And what happened that the defense at the extradition hearing scheduled the daughter to testify, but then canceled her at the last minute? 48 Hours didn't mention this, but it was reported on Dateline a week ago.)

And Dateline last week showed the courtyard outside their room (the space that also contained the septic tank where her body was discarded) as brightly lit at night. Would Redmond actually take the chance of carrying her body to the septic tank without being seen?

But then again, SOMEBODY took the chance of placing her body there and maybe Redmond had no other choice.

BBM: mrsu, I thought the program reported that the father was told by hotel management that they had dismissed the worker in question, not that management refused to address the matter. Even if it wasn't true and they just had the waiter lay low for a few days, it seems to me more likely that management SAID they dismissed the worker.

That was my understanding as well; that the worker had been dismissed.

MOO

The 48Hrs Presentation and interviews surely did put in my mind, reasonable doubt that the husband actually did not do this crime .
If the trial was held in the U.S. I'm fairly certain it would come be dismissed orfound not guilty if they even dared to try him here.
I didn't hear any hard evidence at all.

Everyone in 1 large room says the parents of Bruce. Even the children. Doesn't make a lot of sense, and if he killed her in the shower stall, there is no evidence I heard of, let alone, getting her outside to the septic .

Remember too, her body was found naked stuff into this drainage sewer outlet.

The 48Hrs Presentation and interviews surely did put in my mind, reasonable doubt that the husband actually did not do this crime .
If the trial was held in the U.S. I'm fairly certain it would come be dismissed orfound not guilty if they even dared to try him here.

Everyone in 1 large room says the parents of Bruce. Even the children. Doesn't make a lot of sense, and if he killed her in the shower stall, there is no evidence I heard of, let alone, getting her outside to the septic .

48 hours didn't stress it, but Redmond left the room and returned nine (or eleven, per some reports) in the middle of the night after his wife supposedly went shopping. He has plenty of time to carry her body to the septic tank. And maybe he was in and out because he was waiting to make sure the coast was clear.

(Hell, I worked a theater box office when I was young and not as good-natured as I am today; I tended to respond to rudeness with equal rudeness. Management was always telling patrons who called to complain that they had "fired" me.)

Yes, the hotel did eventually say that the worker had been dismissed, but when the father reported the incident he stated something like "they had no reaction and acted like he was ordering a cheeseburger". I can't remember what exactly his statement was, but something to the effect that they brushed the assault off. After hounding the hotel, he was told the employee was dismissed.

I had questions too. Was she naked or did she have on bra and panties? I've seen it reported both ways. Either way it could have happened in the bathroom. So did he keep her in the bathroom all day long? Nobody needed to use the restroom all day? Or perhaps he left her in the shower with the shower curtain clothes and assisted the kids to the bathroom?

I had questions too. Was she naked or did she have on bra and panties? I've seen it reported both ways. Either way it could have happened in the bathroom. So did he keep her in the bathroom all day long? Nobody needed to use the restroom all day? Or perhaps he left her in the shower with the shower curtain clothes and assisted the kids to the bathroom?

Didn't he fly the kids home, then return to report her missing?

I found this link...

It has been reported that following his wife's disappearance, he left Mexico to drop off his kids before returning to Cancun and reporting her missing.

http://laist.com/2010/04/10/tv_producer_cant_leave_mexico_as_in.php

Didn't he fly the kids home, then return to report her missing?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/bruce-ber...les-weeks-wife/story?id=10726541#.T0wty5gXtME
May 24, 2010

The former "Survivor" producer whose wife was slain during the couple's vacation in Cancun, Mexico, left the country and returned to the U.S. without the knowledge of Mexican authorities, who had seized his passport in the days after his wife's body was found in a hotel sewer.

Bruce Beresford-Redman returned to Los Angeles this weekend despite Mexican authorities having named him as a person of interest in the killing of his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman.

In the eyes of the Mexican authorities and her family, he remains the prime suspect in the case.

Authorities said shortly after her death that he had been told not to leave Mexico pending the outcome of the investigation.

more at link:

Just finished watching the 48 hours episode and it caught my attention enough to seek out more information. Is Redman innocent or guilty? I don't know, it could really go either way, but I feel there is reasonable doubt. Now I've read the Dateline episode on this had a more guilt leaning attitude, but I didn't catch that one. I do have some problems and questions about this case that I'm gonna drop here for some feedback.

1. The shoddy police work alone makes me feel there is cause for a not guilty verdict. I'm not privy to a full report but the autopsy sounds like it was half-assed (pardon the french) with her fingernails never even checked. Supposedly the scene where the body was found as well as the hotel room were never secured. This leads me to possible police corruption, now I'm usually the last to go for police corruption angles, but a Mexican vacation spot where their entire life blood is vacationers, locals killing said vacationers would not look well. In 2006 a Canadian couple was murdered in another resort and the Mexican authorities tried their hardest to place the blame on other Canadian as opposed to the more likely hotel staff. Lets not forget the attack on the girl a few weeks later in the same hotel, that's a bit of a coincidence.

2. The thing that screams guilt to me the most is Redmans desire to cremate the body, which make no sense to me. Then again this was also presented as second hand information as the coroner or someone associated with the coroner told the deceaseds sister this. In the end she was not cremated, so I'm not sure how much water this really holds. A lot of what I have read online has pinned the blame on Redman because he snuck across the border, but I don't really agree. He was there for 2 weeks after the body was found, so he would have likely known where the investigation was going and if he could do anything more to help. He may have also got the feeling that he was about to be arrested or formally accused, accused of murder in Mexico? I would have tried to get back to the U.S. at all costs myself. Plus I surely would have fought extradition to Mexico guilty or not. Nothing here screams guilt to me, just someone that doesn't want to go to prison in Mexico for something they may or may not have done.

3. The biggest kick for me though is the logistics of it. No way this guy planned to murder her there, or he wouldn't have got one big room with his kids there. So it was a heat of the moment thing if he did it, again that's a big risk with kids in the room. Also he would have taken a crazy risk to get the body outside to dump into the sewer... But say he did kill her I guess he had to do something with the body, but he must have been very lucky to do it without being seen. Scream in the hotel? Means nothing, it's a resort full of tons of people the scream could have come from anywhere, can't believe some kids would be able to pinpoint the exact room it was coming from. It could have been someone playing around, an argument in another room or just somebodies tv blasting. Do not disturb sign on the door? Means nothing, I do this very thing, and that's in America, I don't want people going through my room when I'm not there and if I need anything replenished I call for it. Plus in my younger days I heard more than one person talk about how they had things stolen while in Cancun on Spring Break, even stuff out of the safe.

Wow sorry for the length of that. I just wanted to get out a few of my thoughts, I have quite a few more for later though haha. Anyways I haven't followed this case at all so I'm very curious if there is anything I am missing or if any of you have other takes on it all, I'd love to hear it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back