MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, these preliminary hearings are designed to give "just enough information" to determine if a full trial is warranted.

@Tabulator this was something I was wondering about with this hearing. I wondered as much evidence that was being discussed/questioned with witnesses, if this is the prosecution's whole case or if there is more (I'm afraid that there is and cannot imagine...).

I will echo @ilovewings in the statement of I'm glad they are going to trial. This needs to be done in this country (US) - parents of school shooters need to be addressed. Although, I will say, not in every case*. Parenting needs to be put on alert that this could happen to them if they do not act appropriately.

It does seem, at this moment and from what we know, that they did not react/respond to things they should have. Even if they would have not done it perfectly, their response as we know seems to be nothing/a non-response/a let-it-go.

Every time a school shooting happens, there is a knee-jerk reaction across the country but never response of making it never happen again. I hate that somehow this cannot be stopped. School should be a safe place. Hell, everywhere we step in a free country should be a safe place... but above all school should be. But that is someone standing outside, not an educator or LE or a rule maker or anyone that is directly involved in education/public safety. So it's easy to talk.

But I live in the US and I pay taxes. I know educators, LE, school children. I'm human. I guess that's why this case really caught me (before all the soap opera craziness of the Crumbley's started being revealed). I am very interested/invested in the outcome of what will happen to the parents of EC. Will they be convicted? And of what? And what will that conviction look like as in 1) hindering parents from not paying attention to what their kids are doing 2) prosecution of ongoing school shooting cases in the future (will parental attention and prosecution become an automatic consideration 3) school policies and affecting kids negatively in the school system because of overly having rules d/t the school being afraid of prosecution ... I could go on. Meaning I think this is a very important case that will ripple outward in many ways.

I worry about the Crumbley's not having the best representation too. We are the US and everyone should have the best representation possible, no matter who and what. I do not want them to have a slickster to get them out of whatever or not. But I want them to have what I should have if I was in their position, what every citizen should have. I don't like them, but I don't want to stack any deck against them either. Court should be fair and just.

ETA: *I do believe that there are cases where the parents are completely blind. Not meaning that negatively. The person that comes to my mind is Sue Klebold. The Klebold family. She's done her best before and after. So I think there are times that the family does not know. But with EC and his parents, for right now, I do not believe that is true.

Parents of 2 Oxford shooting survivors sue school staffers, district (detroitnews.com)

The parents of two students who survived the Oxford High School shooting last year are suing staffers and the district, alleging they failed to protect the youths and had reason to believe the suspect would commit violence.

The lawsuit filed Friday in U.S. District Court lists Oxford Community Schools Superintendent Timothy Throne; Principal Steven Wolf; dean of students Nicholas Ejak; counselors Pam Fine and Shawn Hopkins; as well as three unnamed teachers.

It was launched by the lawyer for the mother of John and Anthony Asciutto as well as the father of another student, Marko Vackaro.

Much of the filing centers on the events leading up to accused shooter Ethan Crumbley bringing a Sig Sauer handgun to the high school on Nov. 30, 2021...

The lawsuit claims that Hopkins and other school officials violated the state’s Child Protection Act, failing to act as mandatory reporters of neglect to Child Protective Services.

Local 4′s Shawn Ley asked Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald if she plans to pursue criminal charges against Hopkins and other Oxford school staff.

“I do not see a criminal case against any school employee,” McDonald said.

The lawsuit claims that Hopkins and other school officials violated the state’s Child Protection Act, failing to act as mandatory reporters of neglect to Child Protective Services.

Local 4′s Shawn Ley asked Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald if she plans to pursue criminal charges against Hopkins and other Oxford school staff.

“I do not see a criminal case against any school employee,” McDonald said.

I thought this case would put schools on notice too, in how they handle those kids that have or may have mental issues. And also that the school/school employees would definitely be prosecuted specifically those who had the authority/capability to address EC and his issues.

I'm not sure if I think they should be penalized but there is a responsibility to protect all students in those jobs. The student having problems and all the rest. So there should be some type of close examination of what they may have done wrong or that they did the best they could. And I do feel sorry for them (all the adults there) too - the students are not the only ones who suffered trauma that day, and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member