GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be very surprised if the Judge sends Ethan back to Children's Village. Too many safety concerns for the residents and staff, as well as Ethan himself. JMO

I agree. He is not only at risk in the juvenile center but all of the other juveniles are at risk if he is there with them. Even though he is not getting education in the same way or being blocked from the internet in the same way, the risk to others should trump those concerns. I think he does need psychological help but I don't thin either facility has enough clinicians with the needed time to make a dent in the issues he has.

Suspected Oxford High School shooter denied transfer to Children’s Village, will remain in jail (clickondetroit.com)

Ethan Crumbley will remain at Oakland County Jail

OXFORD, Mich. – Suspected Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley’s request to be transferred to the Oakland County Children’s Village has been denied, and he will remain in jail.

The decision comes one week after the 15-year-old went in front of a judge to argue that he should return to the Children’s Village. His defense tried to convince a judge that the Oakland County Jail doesn’t meet his needs as a juvenile offender...

After a week of consideration, the judge ultimately sided with prosecution.

Accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley to stay in jail: Judge (detroitnews.com)

Pontiac — An Oakland County Circuit Court judge ruled Tuesday that the county jail is the appropriate place to house accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley and denied requests to have him transferred to the county’s Children’s Village juvenile facility.

Judge Kwame Rowe heard arguments last week from defense attorneys and the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office regarding the placement of the 15-year-old charged with fatally shooting four fellow students and wounding six others and a teacher in the Nov. 30 incident at his school. He has been held in the Oakland County Jail since his arrest that day...

Suspected Oxford High School shooter denied transfer to Children’s Village, will remain in jail (clickondetroit.com)

Ethan Crumbley will remain at Oakland County Jail

OXFORD, Mich. – Suspected Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley’s request to be transferred to the Oakland County Children’s Village has been denied, and he will remain in jail.

The decision comes one week after the 15-year-old went in front of a judge to argue that he should return to the Children’s Village. His defense tried to convince a judge that the Oakland County Jail doesn’t meet his needs as a juvenile offender...

After a week of consideration, the judge ultimately sided with prosecution.

I agree 100% with this decision. I just wish that I could read the ruling.

Accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley to stay in jail: Judge (detroitnews.com)

Pontiac — An Oakland County Circuit Court judge ruled Tuesday that the county jail is the appropriate place to house accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley and denied requests to have him transferred to the county’s Children’s Village juvenile facility.

Judge Kwame Rowe heard arguments last week from defense attorneys and the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office regarding the placement of the 15-year-old charged with fatally shooting four fellow students and wounding six others and a teacher in the Nov. 30 incident at his school. He has been held in the Oakland County Jail since his arrest that day...

I was just going to post this: wise decision from the judge

https://www.wxyz.com/news/oxford-sc...hundreds-of-emails-hate-mail-fan-mail-in-jail

Inside the jail, Crumbley pays for access to a tablet where he can view his email, play games, and watch movies. Email also costs 50 cents each, after one free a week. Email from defense attorneys is also free.

Ethan Crumbley has gotten and answered 220 emails and 45 snail mail letters since he came in on December 1st. He’s also getting cash donations that improve his quality of life inside the jail.

On the jail website, people sign up for email and to make donations. The sheriff will not say how much is being donated or by whom.

The tablet is not available if he moves to Children’s Village juvenile detention.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220301-143228.png
    Screenshot_20220301-143228.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220301-143711.png
    Screenshot_20220301-143711.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220301-143600.png
    Screenshot_20220301-143600.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 28
Ethan's attorney made a big deal about the lack of educational opportunities in the Oakland County Jail and that he would be able to attend classes at Children's Village. We learned from the prosecutor that Ethan has access to online educational programs that have been downloaded on a tablet. If Ethan is serious about continuing his education, he should spend less time reading and writing emails and more time using the online educational options available to him. JMO

The insanity defense isn't about his mental state now, it's about his mental state at the time of the event.

Well he appears to be competent to stand trial which is another component they evaluate.

Accused Oxford High School shooter to remain in adult jail pending trial
He’s scheduled to return to court for a review hearing at 9 a.m. on March 24.

There has to be a Hearing held every 30 days to determine if keeping him in adult jail is meeting the requirements.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302-145138.png
    Screenshot_20220302-145138.png
    319.7 KB · Views: 9
Ethan Crumbley trial: What's next for alleged Oxford High School shooter?

Accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley will remain in the Oakland County Jail as he awaits trail for the murders of four high school students and the shooting of 7 others, a judge has ruled. But what's next?

The 15-year-old has already waived his preliminary exam, which is typically when much of the evidence for trial is revealed, and instead is heading straight to pre-trail hearings and, eventually, a trial. But the path there won't be that quick and smooth.

Under state law, the detainment of a minor in an adult facility must be reviewed by a judge every 30 days. The judge must decide if it is still appropriate for the minor to remain in adult custody.

[...]

However, according to attorney and FOX 2 legal analyst Charlie Langton, don't expect every hearing each month to be of this level. His reasoning is that Crumbley's attorneys wouldn't argue the same issues.

"If there are no changes, I would think Crumbley attorneys would not make the same arguments," Langton said.

[...]

The next time Crumbley is due in court is Thursday, March 24. This in accordance with the law that requires minors held in adult facilities be evaluated each month. Langton said to expect the hearing to be brief.

After that, a pre-trial hearing and a trial date must be set.

A pre-trial hearing is procedural and is more of a check-in to see how both sides are progressing in terms of trail.

In late January, it was revealed in court that Crumbley's defense planned to argue an insanity defense. That set into motion a physician's evaluation - which has not yet happened and there is no date set at this time.

Langton said, based on the hearing last week and the judge's ruling, don't expect the insanity defense to play out.

"He was getting mail, playing games, adjusting to jail life," Langton said. "Indications are that he is not insane."

[...]

As of March 3, 2022, a trial date has not been set but Langton says we should expect the trial to happen by the end of 2022.

Crumbley has the right to a speedy trial, which means within 6 months, but that can and will likely be waived as evidence and witnesses are reviewed.

[...]

Ethan Crumbley trial: What's next for alleged Oxford High School shooter?

I will be very surprised if the Judge sends Ethan back to Children's Village. Too many safety concerns for the residents and staff, as well as Ethan himself. JMO

I agree. I don't think it's the right place for him. moo.

I am late to this conversation, and I agree with you both, as did judge Rowe. However, I think that Ethan is far too young and vulnerable to be allowed unfiltered contact with persons sending him “fan mail,” and “hate mail.” As much as he looks forward to it, both likely cause him harm.

I wish there were some incarcerated child protections from public contact, and from too much time spent alone. Inmates who are school age and can’t be in group settings should have 1:1 instruction, tutoring and counseling to keep isolated time down. And those under 18 should have a person appointed to them to filter contacts if a parent or guardian cannot do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x