GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First witness is Molly Darnell (teacher from Oxford that was shot). Defense reiterated their objection to the witness, saying that her testimony is not relevant. Objection was noted but was previously overruled. It sounds like they will also be showing video of the shooting during her testimony.

IMO - I'm not certain what she has to offer other re: these particular charges. I can understand calling the teachers, counselors, administrators, etc that were part of the parent meeting or teachers of the shooter that can speak to their interactions with him but to my knowledge, this teacher didn't have any interaction with him.

Defense had no questions for the first witness.

Next witness is Kristi Gibson Marshall, assistant principal of Oxford. She is the one that tried to help Tate Myre after he was shot. She was also the principal at the elementary school where the shooter attended during 4th and 5th grade.

They are showing surveillance video of her movements that day that includes images of Tate after he was shot when the shooter walks by Marshall with the gun in his hand. Defense has asked for a 10 minute break - Jennifer Crumbley is crying at the defense table. You can hear people crying in the background. Prosecutor asked to state on the record that the prosecutors and witnesses have been instructed not to be overly emotional and is upset that not only Jennifer is crying, but the defense attorney is "sobbing" during the video. The defense attorney said that this is her first time viewing the video because it is not relevant to their case and she was not sobbing, her "eye makeup isn't even running". The judge said that this trial is going to be hard, people should try to reign in their emotions. (edited by me to correct grammar)

Wow, they allow the jury to go to a cafeteria and be potentially around a lot of people.

PONTIAC, Mich. — Clashing portraits emerged of Jennifer Crumbley during opening statements Thursday in her trial on involuntary manslaughter charges, as prosecutors said the Michigan mother wilfully failed to act before her teenage son's deadly school rampage in 2021, while her defense argued she simply did not know what he was capable of.

In their statements, both sides focused on the events leading up to the mass shooting at Oxford High School days after Thanksgiving, when school administrators alerted Jennifer Crumbley and her husband, James, of a drawing their son, Ethan, had made of a gun and a bleeding person that a teacher found on his desk.

But Oakland County prosecutor Marc Keast told the jury that while Jennifer Crumbley shared her "private concern" with her husband in Facebook messages, she neglected to say her son had access to a gun when they met with school staff just hours before the shooting spree. Such a meeting with parents could last an hour, but Keast said Crumbley ended theirs after 11 minutes and the parents declined to take their son home...

The defense attorney has an incredibly annoying voice and cadence! Omg! I just watched her cross exam of the gun store clerk/office manager and the clip of the argument between her and the prosecutor about sobbing. It didn’t seem like the defense atty was sobbing to me. But the defendant was. I think the prosecutor was annoyed that the defense atty made a big emotional plea for a break in front of the jury. If defense had asked for prosecutors and state witnesses to curb their emotions then I can understand why the prosecutor was po’d.

This prosecutor has it out for the Crumbley parents! I’m just not convinced the state can meet their burden.

JMO

This prosecutor has it out for the Crumbley parents! I’m just not convinced the state can meet their burden.

Yes, the Prosecutor believes in their case, but they really should, if they're prosecuting someone.

I already have strong opinions based on known evidence, but then again, we must hear all of the evidence, from both sides, before deciding how we feel about the case. Maybe there will be new evidence or new points made? IMO.

Yes, the Prosecutor believes in their case, but they really should, if they're prosecuting someone.

I already have strong opinions based on known evidence, but then again, we must hear all of the evidence, from both sides, before deciding how we feel about the case. Maybe there will be new evidence or new points made? IMO.
Oh yeah I didn’t say that as criticism. I like this prosecutor. I think this is the kind of indignation every prosecutor should have. I think she truly believes in these parents culpability. I saw on L&C chat some ppl saying she is politically motivated but I don’t know the local politics to be able to fully analyze her political motives.

This defense attorney on the other hand!!!!
annoyed-gif-3.gif

I'm actually impressed with the defense so far, as well as the judge's careful responses to their objections.

I don't like that particular defense attorney because in one of the earlier hearings, she had been off sick and had emergency surgery. When she was asked if she was fit or okay or whatever, she was really snotty and said something like, "Well, I'm down a gallbladder but, yeah, I'm okay." Not verbatim, but she just came off as patronizing and flippant. It just rubbed me the wrong way, but that's just my opinion.

I think the fact that the parents' meeting at the school after the gun and help me drawing lasted only 11 minutes and the parents didn't even take him home is quite damning. It will be interesting if they knew anything about his journal entries and the dead bird. Of course they've denied it, but. They did live in the same house with him, he'd texted his mom about demons in the house but they had no clue anything was going on with him? I don't buy it. They also communicated with each other about Ethan, so it will be interesting what those messages reveal.

But again, that's just MOO.

I don't like that particular defense attorney because in one of the earlier hearings, she had been off sick and had emergency surgery. When she was asked if she was fit or okay or whatever, she was really snotty and said something like, "Well, I'm down a gallbladder but, yeah, I'm okay." Not verbatim, but she just came off as patronizing and flippant. It just rubbed me the wrong way, but that's just my opinion.

I think the fact that the parents' meeting at the school after the gun and help me drawing lasted only 11 minutes and the parents didn't even take him home is quite damning. It will be interesting if they knew anything about his journal entries and the dead bird. Of course they've denied it, but. They did live in the same house with him, he'd texted his mom about demons in the house but they had no clue anything was going on with him? I don't buy it. They also communicated with each other about Ethan, so it will be interesting what those messages reveal.

I would be the perfect juror for this case because although I've "heard" of this case, I never watched Ethan's trial or followed this case at all until yesterday lol...so I'm going in really green and never watched any previous hearings.

I'm only impressed because I've watched plenty of trials, and she seems to be diligent and putting up road blocks and objecting to legitimate concerns. She doesn't seem to be lazy.

And don’t forget they hid from LE after it came out that Ethan was the shooter. That will be quite damning for them.

Yes, the defense atty comes across as whiny and rude. Her voice is irritating. Not a good look for her client whose son was a school shooter. She needs to come across as contrite and humble, so that the jury can project those qualities onto her client. JMO

I like that EC is being referred to as “The Shooter” throughout this trial so far. Seems deliberate. Good call. This is how these little sociopaths should be referred to in the media as well. JMO

Edited to add: In the last 30 minutes the defense atty has interrupted the direct exam 2-3 times saying she can’t keep up with the exhibits. She keeps apologizing and saying it’s moving too fast. This seems like a typical pace for a trial to me so not sure of her problem. She has already been provided all of this evidence in discovery. There are no surprises.

I like that EC is being referred to as “The Shooter” throughout this trial so far. Seems deliberate. Good call. This is how these little sociopaths should be referred to in the media as well. JMO

Edited to add: In the last 30 minutes the defense atty has interrupted the direct exam 2-3 times saying she can’t keep up with the exhibits. She keeps apologizing and saying it’s moving too fast. This seems like a typical pace for a trial to me so not sure of her problem. She has already been provided all of this evidence in discovery. There are no surprises.
Her incessant "I'm sorry" is a bit annoying. I honestly don't know how often the
prosecution provides formats that aren't laid out the same as presented in court. But this testimony doesn't seem to be moving THAT fast.

I don't know how I feel about EC being labelled "the shooter." On a human level, it's great because he's stripped of an identity. In regards to how it plays to a jury, I can't decide. Referring to him as the shooter really does separate the defendant from her son. Would it help to separate her responsibility for the crime? Or does it highlight the fact that her judgement is so poor as a mother, it reminds the jury
that her son is a shooter.

That’s a good point about whether labeling EC as “The Shooter” creates distance between mother and son. These videos of the father (with the mother’s knowledge and tacit approval) taking EC to shooting lessons are quite chilling. On the one hand it’s not illegal for a 15 yo to go to a shooting range supervised by his parents. On the other hand, what is the hurry? Why can’t they wait until he’s 18? If they were a hunting family, OK. But they are equestrians from what I understand. JMO

So now he’s at the shooting range with mom and she doesn’t seem to know any better than him on how to handle the firearm they’re both using to shoot. It sure seems like he wanted a gun and wanted to learn to shoot and the parents were like ‘OK sure!’ Knowing what he ended up doing, the parents appear to be giving him all the access and practice he needed to effectuate the school shooting. Smh

The prosecutor needs to slow down and allow the witness to answer the questions. She said she’s leading to “make things easier.” No, ma’am. You have to follow the rules of evidence. She has repeatedly interrupted the witness to inject an answer or “clarification.” JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE