MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we may see some serious charges for the parents, as well.

I have a lot of questions about that gun. Purchased on Friday, used in a school shooting the next Tuesday by a kid who had behavior issues significant enough to warrant a meeting with both parents. I know I read that it was a used gun. Where was it purchased? Was it registered? Were all the many guns they took out of that house legal and registered? Where were these guns stored in the home? Why did a child have access to them?

All MOO
Yes -- we need answers to those questions -- we may already have some. This horror sounds like it could have been prevented... Did the parents know that the new weapon was at home on the day they went to the conference (no, obviously they did not). SMH.
And that's just one question...

Police released an alert to be on the lookout for the parents, who drive a 2019 white* (later corrected to be black) KIA Soul.

Metro Detroit Local News - Detroit Free Press

ETA:

Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said authorities agreed with the couple's lawyer Shannon Smith that they would be brought forward if charges were made, but the couple reportedly stopped communication with their lawyer. A call to the Crumbleys lawyer from the Free Press was not immediately returned.

Last edited:
I don't know what school staff were thinking.
Again, it could be they erred on the side of wanting to help, not punish him. Kid shows what could be evidence of self-harm, suicidal ideation. Suspension is always viewed as punishment by kids. School may have thought he would be better off at school with supportive staff and being with his peers. If that's the case, it was a horrible mistake.

The school could have had security walk him out. If that failed, they could have called police to have him removed.

Since when do parents get to overrule the school’s determination to suspend a student?

McCabe said Fugitive Apprehension Team officers still were out searching for the couple as of mid-afternoon Friday. The Crumbley family owns a 2021 white Kia Seltos with the license plate DQG5203, according to Michigan Secretary of State records.
Oakland County fugitive team searching for parents of Oxford High suspect

It is similar to this one but white:
CRUMBLEY-VEHICLE.jpg

Be On the Lookout alert issued for James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of accused Oxford High School shooter

Last edited:
Kids hide stuff from teachers all. the. time. Having said that, it likely was a cry for help. Maybe it's his parents he wanted to take notice. So they show up at the school, and did they help him? Did they take him home like the school asked them to? Did they take him home and put their arms around him and tell him they were going to get him help? Nope. They left him there. Maybe the killing was a result of the lack of caring from his parents.

I will never understand sending him back to the classroom. The drawing was an obvious cry for help, if he did not want the teacher to see that drawing she would not have.

Last edited:
Maybe they even have video footage or an interview with the store that they bought the gun from that showed him with his dad when they bought the gun indicating that the gun was for him…
That's what it sounds like to me -- that it was the teen's gun. SMH. What were they planning to hunt? SMH.

The prosecutor here is IMO doing exactly the right thing in charging the parents along with their son. They made it possible. Enabled him to do what he did.
I am very interested in how this case goes. Very interested.
And where are the parents? Talk about looking and agreeing that they do share blame -- running just screams it, IMHO.
Those poor parents who lost their children -- it literally takes my breath away. Really & truly.

This one is hot, hot, hot.

I missed where the school knew about his distress for a month? Or that students reported it? TIA

I would agree with this but for I have always thought protocol when dealing with any type of threat to the school/students would be reported to police and they would in turn investigate. Police should have been called and they should have made the parents take Ethan home right then. I think the school’s administration is culpable in this situation. This child had been essentially crying for help for at least a month and teachers/students were doing exactly what they are supposed to do, report it and it will be dealt with by the administration.

I've never studied school shooters but I have to wonder, how many of them were well-behaved right up until the day they murdered schoolmates? I'm going to guess that number is exactly zero. Purely speculation.

"well-behaved" as in not enough to get expelled, but warned multiple times.
It seems many kids who should be suspended or expelled are allowed to stay at school.

I have no idea, I'm just speculating, but finding out now that the meeting was about the drawing of shooting a classmate should have been grounds for the suspension to seek therapy.

I'd like to speak my mind but cannot since it would involve discussion about gun control and NOT allowing troubled minors access to a gun.

Kids hide stuff from teachers all. the. time. Having said that, it likely was a cry from help. Maybe it's his parents he wanted to take notice. So they show up at the school, and did they help him? Did they take him home like the school asked them to? Did they take him home and put their arms around him and tell him they were going to get help? Nope. They left him there. Maybe the killing was a result of the lack of caring from his parents.
Yes kids hide stuff from teachers all the time but this drawing was not hiden, to me that is a sign of a cry for help . I am in no way negating the parents responsibility in this at all but who’s going to step up when the parents don’t do it?

Last edited:
Apparently, the local prosecutor didn't have the evidence to show the school was culpable in the murders. They did, however, gather enough evidence to reveal the parents and their son were.
I am in no way negating the parents responsibility in this, they obviously are the first line of prevention, but who is responsible to act when the parents fail like these did? I never said the school is responsible for the murders but I do think it was a failure on their part to send him back to the classroom.

Michigan high school shooting suspect, 15, appears at court hearing

"Meanwhile, his parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were looking on via video from a separate location, wearing baseball caps and blue casual tops, as the district judge Nancy Carmiak heard from a law enforcement witness, in the courtroom, about the attack at the school on Tuesday afternoon."

IMO they were on the move then.

Why were they allowed to watch from ZOOM and not in court?
COVID precautions or?
LE should have arrested them before announcing it via the media.

You mean moving forward? I am wondering about that. Will Ethan's bio mom try to help now? My head is spinning!
The day it happened and moving forward, this world is full of parents who fail their kids, who/what is the safety net when that happens? The drawing was enough of a concern to send him to the office, to call his parents in to discuss it, the lack of action/failure of action by his parents is even more concern and reason for the school to take action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1