MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BrianEntin

The attorney for the Crumbleys says they are not fleeing. “The Crumbleys left town on the night of the tragic shooting for their own safety. They are returning to the area to be arraigned. They are not fleeing from law enforcement despite recent comments in media reports.”

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1466873632114753549?s=20

It's 4:07 pm EDT. They're due to turn themselves in at 4:00 pm. Their attorney guaranteed this. Where are they? Why should anyone believe the parents or the attorney? Was their attorney involved in their escape?

Thank you for clarifying that. I misread, obviously.
sorry, didn't mean to come across as sharp, honestly I am still trying to wrap my head around these [very unusual] parents. I can't imagine being MIA while my child was facing murder charges. But then I can't imagine doing much of what these individuals have apparently done. It boggles the mind.

It's 4:07 pm EDT. They're due to turn themselves in at 4:00 pm. Their attorney guaranteed this. Where are they? Why should anyone believe the parents or the attorney? Was their attorney involved in their escape?

It would mean a loss of license if that attorney helped. So, I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that the attorney isn't involved - that's what I hope anyway.

I respect your option and experience, ReadySet, I just disagree with the premise that the school was looking out for Ethan’s best interests. It seems that the teachers did the right thing but school admin dropped the ball.

I grew up two parents who are teachers. My father was a school administrator. I have a sister and brother-in-law who spent over 30 years in education. I worked for seven years as a substitute teacher. I was married to a police officer then police chief for 25 years. I think I understand how the system is supposed to work.

It is never OK to sacrifice the safety of another student much less the entire school in order to shield a dangerous student from legal consequences. Schools have a duty to protect all of the students.

Ethan needed immediate professional help. He needed to be removed from the situation that was the focus of his homicidal thoughts. In his note, he explicitly asked for help. If police had been notified, there would have been good reason to employ the Baker Act to put him in a mental health facility for 3 days, which would have given him access to the professional help that his parents were not willing to provide.

MOO
Exactly, The failure of the parents to show appropriate concern/ action to the drawing was another red flag and even more cause for the school to take action. Ethan wanted the teacher to see that drawing or she would not have, it was a cry for help.

sorry, didn't mean to come across as sharp, honestly I am still trying to wrap my head around these [very unusual] parents. I can't imagine being MIA while my child was facing murder charges. But then I can't imagine doing much of what these individuals have apparently done. It boggles the mind.

I’m not a parent so I didn’t even think of them abandoning him, but that was my mom’s first reaction when I told her about the manhunt. “Good heavens. I wonder what he is thinking if he knows they’ve abandoned him.”

Ethan was with his father when the gun was bought. And on his social media, he said he "got this new beauty today."

"Mom and son testing out his new Christmas present."

This is from the prosecutors press conference.

BBM. Well there ya go. The gun was Ethan's Christmas present. The dad stating it was his and stored in his nightstand was merely CYA.

Moo.

Not taken as sharp! I'm like you trying to understand it all. Thanks for letting me know that these are his bio parents. I'm waiting to see if they actually do turn themselves in, having my doubts.

His parents, for one. The school asked them to take him home, they refused.

His parents knew, or should have known him, better than anyone. They apparently weren't concerned about him. I wonder how that made him feel? Did that push him over the edge?
His parents absolutely failed him and are responsible and I hope they face the maximum penalties for their role in this. The school did have other choices, sending him back to the classroom was not the only option. Who/what is the safety net for when these parents who failed their kids?

I asked my kid about his schools rules/student rights on search and seizure in a situation with the drawings this kid made and going back to class. He said literally "that's what the dogs are for - the random search dogs". Huh? "yep, they would have stalled the kid and the police would have have come with the dogs. they would have had to search like the entire area, and some random kids might have got busted with dope, but they should know better cause they bring in the dogs random - like a fire drill or something..."

His parents knew, or should have known him, better than anyone. They apparently weren't concerned about him. I wonder how that made him feel? Did that push him over the edge?

Perhaps, it did push him over the edge. Maybe he hoped someone would get him some help.

Can a parent override a school principal's decision?
I didn't think that was even an option.

BBM. Well there ya go. The gun was Ethan's Christmas present. The dad stating it was his and stored in his nightstand was merely CYA.

Moo.

Aren't gun owners supposed to be registered to that gun? You run a lot of risk (as the parents are finding out) by buying a gun for someone who can't legally own one (due to age) or isn't mentally competent to handle one (that would be due to age too) and then just giving it to them - even loaning it is bad. The gun owner, if they give permission, incur a lot of liability/criminal exposure.

As we're seeing.

The boy is probably fantasizing that somehow his errant parents will come and spring him.

One of the local media outlets indicated that they had called the attorney's office and that the attorney is not answering the phone. Not sure what, if anything, can be gleaned from this.

Oh my! Parents refused to take him home! Why? Unbelievable

Be On the Lookout alert issued for James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of accused Oxford High School shooter
By Jessica Dupnack and FOX 2 Staff
Published December 3, 2021 2:56PM
Updated 3:47PM
Michigan
FOX 2 Detroit

The Crumbleys are driving a black 2021 Kia Seltos SUV with the Michigan Plate DQG 5203. Anyone who sees the Crumbleys, pictured below, is urged to call police.

crumbley-suspects.jpg

CRUMBLEY-VEHICLE.jpg

I asked my kid about his schools rules/student rights on search and seizure in a situation with the drawings this kid made and going back to class. He said literally "that's what the dogs are for - the random search dogs". Huh? "yep, they would have stalled the kid and the police would have have come with the dogs. they would have had to search like the entire area, and some random kids might have got busted with dope, but they should know better cause they bring in the dogs random - like a fire drill or something..."

Dogs are usually trained either for drug sniffing OR for gun sniffing. I guess they might have wanted to bring both types, but for a gun dog in this case.

Oh my! Parents refused to take him home! Why? Unbelievable

I wonder if they refused to take him home because his drawing and his words gave them reason to be afraid of him…that he would kill them. Kip Kinkel’s “voices” told him to kill his parents, so he did, even though he loved them. Then he went and shot up the school.

Almost makes you long for Christmas' past, when all people worried about was not "Shooting your eye out''. imo.

Giphy

Ha ha! Im not making a judgment call, BTW. Lots of people in the US are into guns. Hunting. Target shooting. Etc. It’s a part of our culture, in some areas more than others.

I’m glad, however, that the parents were charged here. They armed a troubled kid. We see that too often.

I mean cars are a huge part of American culture as well. But if my child had emotional problems, made threats recently and wanted a car for Christmas, that would be a no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member