MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the parents point the gun? Pull the trigger? I didn't see that in any news report. I'm simply saying that people are grieving, and they are rightfully so, but those of us who are less removed need to consider other options. <modsnip> MOO

The victim's families are grieving. Ethan's parents are on the run.

Moo.

Very interesting insight into the parents, what they're like.

The husband, James, once abandoned his own son and a daughter from a prior marriage in Florida. Just moved out of state with his new wife. Even though he was earning a six figure income, it was a struggle to get him to pay $67 week in child support for his teen son.

She said it was Jennifer Crumbley who was running the show and that she made it difficult for Eli to get closer to his dad and half-brother Ethan.

"Jennifer was a monster," Cobb said. "She could do no wrong and she was right about everything. I mean, this is exactly the kind of attitude she has. Like, she, literally, thought she was better than everyone."

Oh my gosh! I just faced this. My husband went on a financial kick. Cancel our credit cards only debit to make it easier to track expenses. Good lord was I shocked when I tried to pay a $4000 work invoice and I was blocked as it was over my daily limit. I had checked first. It was WAY under my balance, but there was a daily limit of $2400 or something? Shhh sorry hubby I’m getting a backup credit card. Probably going back to Amazon credit card, but my DM’s are open for suggestions. I need to be nimble!
Don't you just love banks? :rolleyes: I've found that a call to the bank can help release more funds, like @MimosaMornings said upthread.

It's also possible the parents withdrew funds over a two day period. In any case it's interesting that they fled before even being charged - did their lawyers warn them ahead of time?

Parents have shown a strong willingness over the past year or so to bully the heck out of teachers and school leadership for all sorts of reasons, not shying away from physical threats and violent language. Parents just like these two. I agree - schools should be taking a hard line. Unfortunately, politicians and talking heads are happy to fuel the bullying, and these folks feel emboldened and supported. So administrators fold to these types. And something like this happens.
I feel for teachers and admins today. I agree there is an environment that emboldens parents to blame teachers and admins instead of focusing on the kids behaviors.

Parents have shown a strong willingness over the past year or so to bully the heck out of teachers and school leadership for all sorts of reasons, not shying away from physical threats and violent language. Parents just like these two. I agree - schools should be taking a hard line. Unfortunately, politicians and talking heads are happy to fuel the bullying, and these folks feel emboldened and supported. So administrators fold to these types. And something like this happens.

BBM. This year has been especially tough on school staff. My principal still receives threats on a regular basis from parents angry over mask mandates, etc. Our board meetings are filled with ranting parents upset about masks, curriculum, etc. The last 2 years have been tough on staff and students. Our administration is constantly reminding us about giving grace and understanding to the students who are almost having to relearn how to be in school. There is no winning. I'm sure the administration will regret their decision forever. There were supposedly no prior discipline reports for EC. The district may not have known he had access to a gun. I'm sure they did not realize/think he posed an immediate threat or they would have handled things differently. They may have thought they were supporting him in encouraging parents to seek help while not "punishing" him by kicking him out. In hindsight it's easy to see/say what should have been done.

Last edited:
Just to explain my rational, this the source of my information on the latest:
Lawyer: Parents charged in Michigan school shooting didn’t flee (1011now.com)
I only read the news, not write it. As a reasonable midwest person, and as such I apply a reasonable logic opinion of written news. And I still think everyone is entitled to their day in court, and most improtant everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it goes against others. MOO

I only read the news, not write it. As a reasonable midwest person, and as such I apply a reasonable logic opinion of written news. And I still think everyone is entitled to their day in court, and most improtant everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it goes against others. MOO

They were supposed to turn themselves in over 7 hours ago and withdrew 4000.00 in cash.

Okay. So you have the same information as everyone else. What, exactly, in that article absolves the parents? Invokes any sympathy? Leads one to believe they are decent parents? Whatever you are trying to get across? I don't get it. Moo.

If it turns out that his parents knew his plans in advance, then I hope they are found and given long, long sentences. Ethan will be in jail and his brother is 18 and living with his own mother.

Therefore, no one needs these parents for anything.

IMO.

RSBM Whether they knew his plans or not, their actions thus far from purchasing the gun to ignoring the school advisors have been totally irresponsible on every level.

They aren't parents, that's a wholly inappropriate description. Enablers perhaps fits better.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, let’s say the parents did not flee. Let’s say they did just disappear for their own safety.

What is your opinion then about the crimes they have committed as of now? If they haven’t “fled,” they have still missed a mandatory court appearance. This court appearance was not voluntary, so by missing it they become fugitives from the law.

Secondly, they purchased a gun expressly with the intent of giving it as a gift to someone below the age of legal gun ownership. That, too, is a crime.

We can infer that they knew there was at least the possibility that Ethan took the gun to school, or else his so-called mother would not have texted him, “Ethan, don’t do it.”

I’m not arguing with you, but truly want to know your opinion about these events.

And this is not even to include that the father didn’t pay child support for his older children, which I didn’t know about until it was posted here. That’s a crime as well, although not directly related to Ethan’s crime.

I truly am curious as to your opinion, since you feel they shouldn’t be blamed for Ethan in any way.

None of this is about revenge. It’s about stopping school shootings from happening. It’s about justice for innocents that were shot and killed. We’ve been saying it since Columbine, since Sandy Hook - when are we going to take action to make schools safer? When are we going to hold people who let guns get into the hands of kids accountable? What can we do to make it stop? Well, here we are.

I know that some schools have metal detectors- was this school not a school that up until now people thought there was much risk? (I have to say that back in the dark ages when I went to school, this kind of thing was unthinkable and I cannot imagine students having to worry about being shot.)

I hope everyone here agrees that everyone deserves their day in court. AND, I am glad that people bring differing opinions. These parents WILL get their day in court.
BUT, you criticized info as being distorted by media, when the announcement was by LE. So when you say you 'apply a reasonable logic opinion of the written news', while ignoring the video of the actual press conference, then I am confused about your definition of logic. You seem to not want to look at the evidence.

Then you indicated that the killer was 'possibly' autistic (as if that justified his parents buying him a deadly weapon) and that wasn't sourced. THEN you did the what-aboutism...blaming the school...so we "shouldn't blame the parents".

We certainly don't have the whole story. And this will go to trial. We all want to see reasonable logic, as opposed to coming to a case with an agenda. We still have much to learn about this case.

I just don’t understand why LE would hold the press conference before the parents were in custody!

I think the charges are warranted given the evidence reported - IMO these parents were highly negligent at best, and near-conspirators at worst.

If the Prosecutor wants to make an example of holding them accountable, how are they allowed to take $4k and make a run for it?

Cell phones shut off. That's new to me.

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

1h

The Michigan school shooting suspect's parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM today, an official says, and their cell phones are turned off
It makes sense, as they would have almost certainly been located by now.

They could plausibly claim that they didn't want to be harassed by the media, and that is why they shut their phones off.

The issue is both events taken together (large cash withdrawal and their phones going dark).

I don't know what bond looks like for what they're charged with, but fleeing justice certainly won't help when they are in fact located.

Cell phones shut off. That's new to me.

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

1h

The Michigan school shooting suspect's parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM today, an official says, and their cell phones are turned off
Well they must not want to communicate with law enforcement or relatives etc. could they have bought new phones? New number? No tracking with pings. Pretty smart must read here, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member