MI MI - Alexandra Brueger, 31, fatally shot while jogging, Rose Twp, 30 July 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Among cases I've followed on Websleuths, very few are privileged to have a Verified Insider. In the absence of media coverage about Alexandra Brueger's murder, I'm appreciative of any information provided by Combatmedic.

:tyou:

So I have been thinking about the whole LE thinks maybe Ally knew her killer. One possibility that I thought of is that LE got a tip that she was seen in conversation prior to the shooting with someone? And it was only when Ally turned their back on them that the person decided to shoot, although taking a shot gun to such a confrontation implies premeditation. But if that were the case you would think that there would be a description, unless the tipster was far away and couldn’t really get a good look.

Just speculating! Don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM
Is it possible that there was evidence at the scene that she tried to identify her attacker/killer by writing/drawing a name (or partial name) in the dirt or other material after she was wounded? Maybe I watch too many bad movies, but I think that sort of evidence would be compelling, and would certainly point to her knowing her killer.

BBM
Is it possible that there was evidence at the scene that she tried to identify her attacker/killer by writing/drawing a name (or partial name) in the dirt or other material after she was wounded? Maybe I watch too many bad movies, but I think that sort of evidence would be compelling, and would certainly point to her knowing her killer.

That's a great thought as well drama_farmer! Especially since she wasn't killed instantly but succumbed to her injuries later. LE is kind of hedging their bets a little saying it's "possible" so whatever they have or makes them think that it's not definitive.

It makes me think of that poor girl who was found completely burned and tried to speak the name of her killer but her throat was so badly burned it unfortunately led to some dead ends but they did find her killer eventually, but it wasn't the name they thought it was...

If combatmedic21 is still here...I believe he said he worked with Ally the night before she was killed? Did she express any concerns about someone stalking her or any other professional problems? Anyone in the neighborhood who was odd or made her uncomfortable? Or was it just a normal work night like any other?

Do you have any idea as to why there seems to be a confusion over how many times Alexandra was shot?

It seems that for quite a while (even after the autopsy) it was being reported she had been shot four times, but in recent weeks, once.

This has been bothering me, and I would appreciate any perspective you may have.

The confusion seems to be coming from the Michigan State Police public relations officer, Lt. Shaw.
All the way up until CWD, Shaw had repeatedly told the media “she was shot 4 times in the back”. But then when CWD interviewed Shaw he seemed to try clarifying this and said only one of the shots actually hit her. That was the first time I, or anyone else, had heard this.

That's a great thought as well drama_farmer! Especially since she wasn't killed instantly but succumbed to her injuries later. LE is kind of hedging their bets a little saying it's "possible" so whatever they have or makes them think that it's not definitive.

It makes me think of that poor girl who was found completely burned and tried to speak the name of her killer but her throat was so badly burned it unfortunately led to some dead ends but they did find her killer eventually, but it wasn't the name they thought it was...

If combatmedic21 is still here...I believe he said he worked with Ally the night before she was killed? Did she express any concerns about someone stalking her or any other professional problems? Anyone in the neighborhood who was odd or made her uncomfortable? Or was it just a normal work night like any other?

Yes, we had both worked at the hospital that Friday night. We worked on completely different floors so we never really worked together; however, we would always text throughout the night when we both worked.

As far as I could tell it seemed like any other night. She never expressed having any issues with anyone at work, or really anyone period. That’s one of the reasons this has been so puzzling.
We didn’t have a big group of friends either. We spent most of our free time with each other, family, or a couple close friends we each had. We didn’t party, go to bars, or do any of that kind of stuff. We’d rather go to dinner and a movie, or spend the day at a museum, or just stay home and watch jeopardy while playing scrabble. She was last person you would ever expect something like this happening to.

As far as LE saying they believe she likely knew her attacker...
I think this is more just a hunch, or a speculation, rather than a belief based on any kind of solid evidence.
Near the beginning of the investigation, when LE was pressed on why they believe this they had said, “based on the crime scene and previous investigations we’ve worked on”.
When Lt. Shaw was asked about this more recently he said, “Well... the whole thing just seemed too strange to be a random”.
You’ll also notice they always say, “but... we can’t rule out a random attack.”

So again, to me seems like more of a hunch they have more than anything else.
However, that doesn’t mean they’re wrong either. I personally believe they’re right about this actually.

Yes, we had both worked at the hospital that Friday night. We worked on completely different floors so we never really worked together; however, we would always text throughout the night when we both worked.

As far as I could tell it seemed like any other night. She never expressed having any issues with anyone at work, or really anyone period. That’s one of the reasons this has been so puzzling.
We didn’t have a big group of friends either. We spent most of our free time with each other, family, or a couple close friends we each had. We didn’t party, go to bars, or do any of that kind of stuff. We’d rather go to dinner and a movie, or spend the day at a museum, or just stay home and watch jeopardy while playing scrabble. She was last person you would ever expect something like this happening to.

As far as LE saying they believe she likely knew her attacker...
I think this is more just a hunch, or a speculation, rather than a belief based on any kind of solid evidence.
Near the beginning of the investigation, when LE was pressed on why they believe this they had said, “based on the crime scene and previous investigations we’ve worked on”.
When Lt. Shaw was asked about this more recently he said, “Well... the whole thing just seemed too strange to be a random”.
You’ll also notice they always say, “but... we can’t rule out a random attack.”

So again, to me seems like more of a hunch they have more than anything else.
However, that doesn’t mean they’re wrong either. I personally believe they’re right about this actually.

Thank you for answering my questions, combatmedic2121 (and sorry for leaving a 21 out of your user name!). I get what you are saying about LE's hunch. Following many cases here, it seems that random jogger attacks (see Vanessa Marcotte and Katrina Vetrano) by strangers are much more likely to be sexually motivated crimes and (I assume) since there was no sexual assault in this case, that was not the motive here. So unless it was totally a thrill kill by a random person, which while possible seems unlikely, they believe it was someone who wanted her dead and had a more personal connection - and perhaps that is why they shot her in the back rather than facing her directly.

I was just reading the Rachel Cooke (young lady who went missing while out jogging) thread and their strongest lead was the vehicle that was spotted in the area - after 16 years LE finally believes they have found it and have submitted it for rigorous forensic testing. I feel that in this case, the vehicle may also turn out to be the key to solving the case. Hopefully that is one avenue they are pursuing.

Thank you for answering my questions, combatmedic2121 (and sorry for leaving a 21 out of your user name!). I get what you are saying about LE's hunch. Following many cases here, it seems that random jogger attacks (see Vanessa Marcotte and Katrina Vetrano) by strangers are much more likely to be sexually motivated crimes and (I assume) since there was no sexual assault in this case, that was not the motive here. So unless it was totally a thrill kill by a random person, which while possible seems unlikely, they believe it was someone who wanted her dead and had a more personal connection - and perhaps that is why they shot her in the back rather than facing her directly.

I was just reading the Rachel Cooke (young lady who went missing while out jogging) thread and their strongest lead was the vehicle that was spotted in the area - after 16 years LE finally believes they have found it and have submitted it for rigorous forensic testing. I feel that in this case, the vehicle may also turn out to be the key to solving the case. Hopefully that is one avenue they are pursuing.

In a way this reminds me of the murder of the two VA Tech students in 2009. Heidi Childs and David Metzler. Both cases involve an isolated rural road while the victims were involved in some innocent activity. Both involve the use of an unlikely firearm - a .30-30 rifle in the case of Childs and Metzler. LE took DNA samples from nearby residents in Childs-Metzler case and nothing. It is looking more and more like a random killer. In Alexandra's case, I'm about 50-50 as to whether it was someone she knew or random killer.

In a way this reminds me of the murder of the two VA Tech students in 2009. Heidi Childs and David Metzler. Both cases involve an isolated rural road while the victims were involved in some innocent activity. Both involve the use of an unlikely firearm - a .30-30 rifle in the case of Childs and Metzler. LE took DNA samples from nearby residents in Childs-Metzler case and nothing. It is looking more and more like a random killer. In Alexandra's case, I'm about 50-50 as to whether it was someone she knew or random killer.

In the Childs/Metzler case, some think that a serial killer is responsible because a couple of other double murders seem to fit a similar pattern; that's one of the reasons why LE thinks that Childs and Metzler were random victims.

In the Childs/Metzler case, some think that a serial killer is responsible because a couple of other double murders seem to fit a similar pattern; that's one of the reasons why LE thinks that Childs and Metzler were random victims.

There were some that suspected the Colonial Parkway Murders, the Highway 29 Killer or Winans-Williams murders might be connected. LE, however, hasn't really speculated much as to whether or not it was a random murder or the killer knew them. LE did take DNA samples of residents of Craig Creek Road but evidently nothing came of that tactic.

This thread desperately needs some perspective from someone other than the ex boyfriend...

I'm sure there are a number of witnesses who will eventually testify in a trial who have been advised by LE and/or legal counsel not to talk about the case. Friends, nursing colleagues, supervisors, classmates, college instructors have likely been interviewed and aren't allowed to share their thoughts or information they may have until the case goes to trial. I wouldn't want someone to join the discussion here if it compromised the ongoing investigation or future court case.

I'm sure there are a number of witnesses who will eventually testify in a trial who have been advised by LE and/or legal counsel not to talk about the case. Friends, nursing colleagues, supervisors, classmates, college instructors have likely been interviewed and aren't allowed to share their thoughts or information they may have until the case goes to trial. I wouldn't want someone to join the discussion here if it compromised the ongoing investigation or future court case.

What do you mean "aren't allowed?" There's such a thing as free speech; LE can't restrict witnesses' rights to free speech.

What do you mean "aren't allowed?" There's such a thing as free speech; LE can't restrict witnesses' rights to free speech.
Sure, but if you could sit on the info now and help make sure a violent narcissist goes away for a long time later, wouldn’t you? I certainly wish we could get some insight from friends and colleagues, but I wish for the person who did this to be locked up for the rest of his life more.

This thread desperately needs some perspective from someone other than the ex boyfriend...
I agree. If we could at least get someone to tell us their view of her family, that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think she said "advised" - like in the case of Adea Shibani for example - all her close friends knew that Adea's boyfriend had a fiancée - information which they were asked not to share and they complied. We didn't know until much later, as well as other info that very clearly pointed to him as being the perp, and we assumed LE wasn't doing enough or much of anything, but it turns out, they were on top of him the whole time. They shared general thoughts about Adea's character, and missing her, etc., but nothing about her relationship and him - they kept it close to the vest as asked to by LE.

I'm fairly new to Websleuths (just made an account yesterday) and also to this case. After doing a bit of research, I'm curious what people's views are on the ex-boyfriend Wes Sutherland? According to my research, he took 2 polygraphs (the 1st one was inconclusive and the 2nd he failed). He claims it's an intimidation tactic and that he didn't kill her. He even went as far as to suggest the father murdered her. However, in the 2 years that they dated, her parents only met/saw him once. Was this by his choice? Hers? I'm sure the parents would have liked to get to know him better. This makes me wonder if there was some type of abuse or control happening in the relationship that led to their break up. This is just my opinion (I have more research to do on the case), but as of now I suspect the ex-boyfriend. He not only worked with her, but likely would have known the route she used when she went on runs as well.

I'm fairly new to Websleuths (just made an account yesterday) and also to this case. After doing a bit of research, I'm curious what people's views are on the ex-boyfriend Wes Sutherland? According to my research, he took 2 polygraphs (the 1st one was inconclusive and the 2nd he failed). He claims it's an intimidation tactic and that he didn't kill her. He even went as far as to suggest the father murdered her. However, in the 2 years that they dated, her parents only met/saw him once. Was this by his choice? Hers? I'm sure the parents would have liked to get to know him better. This makes me wonder if there was some type of abuse or control happening in the relationship that led to their break up. This is just my opinion (I have more research to do on the case), but as of now I suspect the ex-boyfriend. He not only worked with her, but likely would have known the route she used when she went on runs as well.

hi JemFantasy, Wes Sutherland AKA combatmedic2121 is a verified insider on this thread. He began contributing information to the thread around page 7 if you want to back and read the thread! (this is what I did a few days ago to catch up it's very helpful)

hi JemFantasy, Wes Sutherland AKA combatmedic2121 is a verified insider on this thread. He began contributing information to the thread around page 7 if you want to back and read the thread! (this is what I did a few days ago to catch up it's very helpful)

Hi Brontesaurus! Oops! I didn't know that. Just started reading up about this case today, and I'll admit I skipped over a lot of the pages in this thread. I'll go back and read through it so that I have the most up to date information, thank you!

Has there been mention of surveillance cameras in and around the park? Even footage of her way to the park to see if anyone was following her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member