GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good to see you again Nymeria. We enjoyed some good trials together here at WS. You are always a great addition to trial discussions. Hope to see you again here from time to time.
:loveyou:

Thanks Chell, same goes for you, I miss those days!
:loveyou:

Hi all!

I've started watching all the YouTube videos to get caught up for next week's proceedings. I may have missed it, regarding the DNA portion. Day 6, Part 4 at about 20:10 in the video linked below, is the expert, Monica Barylski-Forensic Scientist. She tells us that a portion from a black t-shirt (I believe would be April's) has a trace of semen. "The cutting of the black t-shirt indicates at least 2 donors. And that the DNA obtained from the sperm fraction matches the DNA profile from the bucal swab taken from James VanCallis, and the statistical calculation is one in 4.92 quintillian for the caucasian population..etc etc etc."

Is that not April's t-shirt? I thought there was NO DNA to tie this guy to April. Can someone have a look and help me understand this?

** Maybe this is Jame's T'shirt and they are just somehow going through April's clothing but jump into Jame's t-shirt? I didn't think so though.

https://youtu.be/9tUPqXEeKKg?t=20m3s

Hi all!

I've started watching all the YouTube videos to get caught up for next week's proceedings. I may have missed it, regarding the DNA portion. Day 6, Part 4 at about 20:10 in the video linked below, is the expert, Monica Barylski-Forensic Scientist. She tells us that a portion from a black t-shirt (I believe would be April's) has a trace of semen. "The cutting of the black t-shirt indicates at least 2 donors. And that the DNA obtained from the sperm fraction matches the DNA profile from the bucal swab taken from James VanCallis, and the statistical calculation is one in 4.92 quintillian for the caucasian population..etc etc etc."

Is that not April's t-shirt? I thought there was NO DNA to tie this guy to April. Can someone have a look and help me understand this?

** Maybe this is Jame's T'shirt and they are just somehow going through April's clothing but jump into Jame's t-shirt? I didn't think so though.

https://youtu.be/9tUPqXEeKKg?t=20m3s

I saw that during trial. IIRC, that was not April's clothing that was being referred to. April was not wearing a tee shirt. She wore a tank top and I don't believe it was black. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

AM definitely was wearing a tank top (not sure what color). I haven't seen any mention of a black shirt before this testimony.

I looked at two different videos (Lady Justice and Court Chatter) and in both the sound cut out right when the attorney was listing the items tested by the lab. One thing to note: the tank top is listed as its own item and so is the t-shirt (later in the clip). From what I can tell, though, the "black t-shirt" is not identified as either AM or JV's. Now, it had JV's sperm but the epithelial fraction excluded AM (starts at 1:23:33 in this video - same clip as Lacyanna's though different source).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORyvkeO3vYo

After listening to the DNA testimony, I'm shocked that there wasn't any of JV's DNA found on AM's tank top, bra, shorts, underwear, phone, under her nails, etc. The only item in which he wasn't excluded was the "red leash". Not a direct match, no quintillion numbers, only something like 1/200 in the general population BUT not excluded, nonetheless. AND...AM's DNA was excluded. Was that "red leash" on Penny? Surely AM's DNA should have been found on it, right?

The prosecutor will have to tie that black t-shirt in somehow. Maybe it was found at the crime scene? That's the only way I can see it as being incriminating.

Thanks for the detailed info. I will stay glued to see when this black t-shirt resurfaces. Agreed, however, I doubt this was April's clothing.

As for the massive lack of DNA, I've been stewing on this. The first thing that came to mind is wondering if there are other cases where we had proof outside of DNA that someone beat someone to death. It would help to see some examples of where either there was CCTV type evidence or some other proof beyond a doubt that a person beat someone to death but left no DNA.

What keeps coming to mind is that maybe JV got AM to the ground very quickly. He was covered with shoes, jeans/pants-etc. The fact that she was stomped and he used a helmet (allegedly) as his weapon would mean there was very little flesh-to-flesh contact.

The other thing that stands out is the absolute lack of DNA on James' own things! What the heck? How is your DNA not on your gloves? What about all the cleaning bottles left laying around. On objects where you would expect to see his DNA, even innocently, we don't. Strange.

This is not the first case that I've followed where there just wasn't much DNA, even where it was expected. I think TV/books/media have programmed us to expect conclusive DNA evidence and it just isn't always there.

Thanks for the detailed info. I will stay glued to see when this black t-shirt resurfaces. Agreed, however, I doubt this was April's clothing.

As for the massive lack of DNA, I've been stewing on this. The first thing that came to mind is wondering if there are other cases where we had proof outside of DNA that someone beat someone to death. It would help to see some examples of where either there was CCTV type evidence or some other proof beyond a doubt that a person beat someone to death but left no DNA.

What keeps coming to mind is that maybe JV got AM to the ground very quickly. He was covered with shoes, jeans/pants-etc. The fact that she was stomped and he used a helmet (allegedly) as his weapon would mean there was very little flesh-to-flesh contact.

The other thing that stands out is the absolute lack of DNA on James' own things! What the heck? How is your DNA not on your gloves? What about all the cleaning bottles left laying around. On objects where you would expect to see his DNA, even innocently, we don't. Strange.

Many motorcycle riders wear gloves. Much of the contact was made by helmet and shoes. I do find it a little weird underwear and shorts pulled to her ankles with no DNA on her clothes( it wasnt gravity that pulled them down). It was a hot day and I dont think we have heard any testimony of anyone seeing gloves.

From an article from chan 7:
VanCallis' DNA was not found on on April's clothing or belongings, and while there was unidentified male DNA found in some cases, prosecutors say the samples weren't sufficient to make a determination on whose DNA it was.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/watch-live-trial-in-april-millsap-murder-case-continues-today

I remember from the trial that April had a white top. The Tee was prob VanCallis'. They tested some of his clothes, although they never got the hoodie he was wearing.

Hi all,

I believe the trial reconvenes today. I'm watching a live stream, but nothing yet. Anyone else going to be watching?

I will be watching on YouTube later this afternoon/evening.....

Jameson Cook ‏@JamesonCook 31s32 seconds ago
Two key witnesses testifying this afternoon it VanCallis trial -- foot print expert and VanCallis' brother

Erika Erickson ‏@FOX2Erika 28m28 minutes ago
Brother of #JamesVancallis takes the stand. He says he was told police would be knocking on his door. @FOX2News

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 24m24 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - Donald VanCallis was questioned by police about James being at his house that day.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 23m23 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - Donald testifying about speaking to James that day. Says he doesn't know the exact times.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 23m23 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - Donald testifies he believes his brother was coming to his house that day to get money for dog food.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 21m21 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - When asked what time James got to his house on the 24th he says he doesn't really remember.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 20m20 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - At 6:44pm Donald sends a text to James saying, "home".

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 20m20 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - Donald would not allow police to take his phone that day. He showed them "anything they'd like"

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 19m19 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - State asks if Donald gave a different time frame of when he got home/when James got there, the next time questioned.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 18m18 minutes ago
#VanCallisTrial - The first time Donald said James got to his house 6:25-6:30pm. Next time he talked to police he said 7pm or later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27
Back