GUILTY MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Akweks! Much appreciated.

So - no next court date for the parents? And Jared? Just mentioned the trial date? Which I already have. :)

@inmyhumbleopinion - anything "new" for any of these people?

TIA!
I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get back to you sooner :(!

The latest information I can find:
Posted Apr 30, 2019 at 12:42 PM
Updated Apr 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM
At a status conference Monday, a judge scheduled the start of [Jared] Chance's trial for Sept. 7.”

and

They [Jared’s parents James and Barbara Chance] will stand trial starting Oct. 14 for charges of perjury and being accessories after the fact in their son's case.” (BBM)
Trial set for murder suspect Jared Chance

I looked for more recent articles just in case there have been further developments on both the investigative and prosecutorial sides, but didn’t see any.

Thanks a bunch inmyhumbleopinion! At least now I know "when" each of them have their trials.
And the links attached - of course, I can't access them here in the EU.... grrrr.....

@inmyhumbleopinion - if you don't mind - could you check to see if they have any court dates before their trials?

TIA! :)
I don’t mind at all!

I’m so sorry for the delayed reply. Kiddos are on summer break, and they must think I’m an Uber driver (only I don’t get paid or decide when I work) ... o_O.

Going back to the subject matter, I wasn’t able to find anything. Please keep reminding me, and I will be happy to look it up any time :).

Thank you for checking it out for me! Enjoy your summer break - after they go back to school! :)

Judge will allow gruesome mutilation photos during upcoming Grand Rapids murder trial

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- A Kent County judge will allow gruesome photos of the victim’s mutilated body to be used as evidence during the upcoming murder trial for Jared Chance.

Chance, 29, appeared in court Friday, Aug. 16, for a brief hearing in which his counsel argued that the photos of Ashley Young’s body don’t have evidentiary value and would only be used to sway the jury against the defendant.

The prosecution rebutted the claim and said the photos illustrate just how much work Chance went through in an effort to hide Young’s slaying.
[.....]
Kent County Circuit Judge Mark Trusock sided with the prosecution and will allow five of the more than 150 photos to be used as evidence in the trial, which is slated to begin Sept. 9.

“The issue is if there’s unfair prejudice and I don’t believe there is,” Trusock said.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Kent County prosecutors have offered a plea deal to a man accused of killing and dismembering a woman in his apartment last year.

The deal would allow Jared Chance to avoid a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole in exchange for him telling investigators the whole story of what happened to Ashley Young.

More at Prosecutors offer plea deal to suspect in murder, mutilation case

Monday, Sept. 9th:
*Trial was set to begin-vacated instead Plea Hearing (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found in basement of Chance’s rental home on Dec. 2, 2018, except head & neck) -*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/3/18), charged & arraigned (12/4/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. Charged & arraigned (1/4/18) with open murder & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K Bond. Judge sets no bond (1/4/19).
Trial was set for 9/9/19.
9/5/19 Update: Kent County prosecutors have offered a plea deal that would allow him to plead guilty to second-degree murder, provided he discloses all that happened. The deal would allow Jared Chance to avoid a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole. Chance will be allowed to plead guilty on Monday, Sept. 9 – the same day jury selection is slated to begin. The plea offer includes a recommendation that Chance serve a minimum of 31 years in prison. But the Judge will set the maximum term.
*Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Both plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18).
Trial set to begin 10/14/19
12/12/18 Update: Both plead not guilty. $25K bond, released from jail 12/12/18. 12/17/18: Next Probable Cause hearing on 12/26 & Preliminary Exam hearing on 1/2/19.
12/26/18 Update: Next Preliminary hearing set for 1/10/19. 1/2/19 Preliminary hearing cancelled.
1/10/19 Update: Barbara Chance waived her right to the probable-cause hearing and also had her case bound over to Circuit Court. The judge ruled James Chance "misrepresented the facts," and said the felony charges of perjury and being an accessory after the fact were merited. Both cases are adjudicated.
3/27/19 All cases are closed. Both bound over to Grand Rapids circuit court. Next Status hearing on 4/29. 4/29/19: Trial starts 10/14/19 for both.

Tuesday, Sept. 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found in basement of Chance’s rental home on Dec. 2, 2018, except head & neck) -*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/3/18), charged & arraigned (12/4/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. Charged & arraigned (1/4/18) with open murder & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K Bond. Judge sets no bond (1/4/19).
Trial began on 9/9/19.
9/5/19 Update: Kent County prosecutors have offered a plea deal that would allow him to plead guilty to second-degree murder, provided he discloses all that happened. The deal would allow Jared Chance to avoid a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole. Chance will be allowed to plead guilty on Monday, Sept. 9 – the same day jury selection is slated to begin. The plea offer includes a recommendation that Chance serve a minimum of 31 years in prison. But the Judge will set the maximum term.
9/9/19 Update: Chance rejects plea deal. Jury selected. Opening statements begin 9/10.
*Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) – Trial begins 10/14/19.

In a Kent County courtroom Tuesday, Chance turned down a plea deal in the case, telling the judge he wants to go to trial instead.

Earlier this month, a judge ruled photos of Young's body can be used as evidence in the trial.

Defense attorneys argued the photos would have no value as evidence and the only sway the jury against chance. Prosecutors said the photos show how much work was put into hiding and slaying of young.

Parts of young's body still have not been found. Chance faces up to life in prison if convicted.

His parents, James and Barbara chance, face a perjury charge for allegedly helping their son cover up Young`s death.
Trail begins in murder, dismemberment of Kzoo Co. woman

I'm guessing there are no tweeters for this trial? Wondering "what" is happening?

Anyone? TIA! :)

Wednesday, Sept. 11th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found in basement of Chance’s rental home on Dec. 2, 2018, except head & neck) -*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/3/18), charged & arraigned (12/4/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. Charged & arraigned (1/4/18) with open murder & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K Bond. Judge sets no bond (1/4/19).
Trial began on 9/9/19.
9/9/19 Update: Chance rejects plea deal. Jury selected. Opening statements begin 9/10.
9/10/19 Day 2: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues on 9/11.
*Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) – Trial begins 10/14/19.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdinthehand
Back