GUILTY MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
YES. So much yes. I mean there was no way they wouldn’t return a guilty. I hope his parents get guilties too. I’m a mother and I love my child more than anything- but I’m confident that I would never assist in cleaning up a murder. No way, no how.

Thanks for the tag @Niner !

You are welcome! :)

Parents are due for a bench trial (judge will decide) on 10/14. And I read they took a plea deal, but haven't seen anywhere "what" that plea deal is...

If anyone finds that - please post! TIA!

The family of a slain Kalamazoo-area woman is raising reward money for the return of parts of her body that remain missing after she was killed and dismembered.

Ashley Young’s family is holding a fundraising poker run Saturday morning, Sept. 21, starting in the back parking lot of the Lakes Mall in Fruitport Township. Motorcyclists will visit multiple locations, drawing a card at each one, with the hopes of having the best poker hand at the end of the run.

Ashley Young’s family raising reward to help find missing remains

Jury will learn Jared Chance’s dad, accused of accessory after fact in killing, is retired cop

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – When the father of Jared Chance – the Grand Rapids man convicted of killing and mutilating a woman -- goes on trial for perjury and accessory after the fact, jurors will hear that he is a retired police officer.

But the prosecution cannot suggest that James Chance should be held to a higher standard because of his law-enforcement background, a judge ruled Friday, Oct. 4.
[.....]
Her family was in court Friday for the father’s pretrial motions. Attorney Laura Joyce contended her client made honest mistakes, not perjury, in recounting events when he brought his son home for the weekend.

Joyce said the omissions amounted to her client remaining silent during questioning, a Fifth Amendment right.

Assistant Kent County Prosecutor Lawrence Boivin said the father made critical omissions about stops the family made. For instance, they were seen on security video at a Costco store when the father said they went straight home after getting his son.
[.....]
The judge said the prosecution could call a witness to establish he once was a police officer but not introduce the personnel file as evidence.

Their trial starts 10/14. I guess they didn't take a plea deal.

Thursday, October 10th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found in basement of Chance’s rental home on Dec. 2, 2018, except head & neck) -*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/3/18), charged & arraigned (12/4/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. Charged & arraigned (1/4/18) with 2nd degree murder & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K Bond. Judge sets no bond (1/4/19).
Trial began on 9/9/19 and ended 9/13/19.
Court information of trial (Day 1 thru Day 3) 9/9/19 thru 9/11/19 reference post #125 here:
GUILTY - MI - Ashley Young, 32, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrest*

9/12/19 Day 4: State witnesses: MSP DNA expert David Hayhurst. GRPD Det. Tim DeVries. Forensic pathologist David Start. Det. Erika Fannon, lead detective. The prosecution rests, the defense asks judge to throw out the case based on lack of evidence. Judge refuses saying circumstantial evidence is sufficient to send to the jury. Jared Chance will not testify in his own defense. Defense rests. Chance’s lawyer asks if the jury can be given instructions for involuntary or voluntary manslaughter instead of 2nd degree murder. Judge says they’ll stick with 2nd degree murder. Closing arguments start on 9/13.
9/13/19 Day 5: Closing statements made. Jury instructions given. Jurors started deliberations about 12:15pm ET & deliberated until 3:15ET with a verdict of guilty on all counts. Sentencing on 10/10.
*Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) – Have agreed to a plea deal. Bench trial begins 10/14/19.

9 hours ago
“GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The man convicted of murdering 31-year-old Ashley Young and mutilating her body afterward will effectively spend the rest of his life in prison.

JUDGE: ‘YOU ARE CLEARLY A MONSTER’

Judge Mark Trussock called the case ‘extremely disturbing’ before announcing the punishment for 30-year-old Jared Chance, which included 100 years to 200 years for second-degree murder without the eligibility of parole until he’s 130 years old.

‘You sir, in my mind are a very evil individual. You are clearly a monster without any conscious whatsoever… and you should never be allowed free,’ Trusock said.

‘This is without question the worst case that I have ever been involved in,’ Trusock said, mentioning the more than 200 homicide and murder cases he’s presided over.

‘You seemed at times to derive pleasure from the testimony that was best described as gruesome,’ the judge said.

[SBM]

Chance faced Young’s father, stepmother, stepbrother, best friend and mother before he was sentenced. Young’s mother, Kristine Young, was the last to address Chance.

[SBM]

‘When your brothers, your parents, your sisters your girlfriend come to see you do they hug you? Do they,’ Kristine Young shouted at Chance, with her hand on the box of her daughter’s cremains. ’This is what’s left of my daughter. If I want a hug, I have to hug a box and close my eyes and pretend that she is hugging me back because you chose to murder her.’

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Ashley Young’s stepmother, Dana Nelson, focused most of her account on the unanswered questions from the murder — a motive, and Ashley Young’s missing remains.

‘(I hope) no one has to hear the sound that I heard coming from Ashley’s mom the day she first, the first time she saw and was able to be with her daughter after she was murdered. After she was murdered. She only had her daughter’s torso and limbs,’ she said, sobbing. ’There was nothing I could do to comfort or console or take it away of fix it for her. Nothing.’

’Give her that peace. Tell her what happened that early morning of November 29 when Ashley’s life ended, and where the rest of her daughter Ashley is. Do the right thing today. And if you don’t do the right thing today by telling her mother, I hope you are tormented with your thoughts about what you did to our Ashley and you get no peace while sit in prison for the rest of your life,’ Nelson added.

[SBM]

Chance rejected a plea deal on the eve of his weeklong trial last month. The plea would’ve given him a shot at parole in exchange for admitting to what he did with Oshtemo Township woman and her missing remains.

Chance’s parents, James and Barbara Chance are both charged with perjury and being an accessory after the fact in the mutilation and disinterment of a dead body. Their trials are scheduled for Jan. 6.” (BBM)
Family cheers as Ashley Young’s killer gets 100-200 years

Thank you inmyhumbleopinion for that update.

I see his parents are now scheduled for Jan. 6th and not on Oct. 14th....

wondering "why" that changed....

impatient1.gif

The family says while they believe they will never be able to fully heal from what happened, they could have a bit more peace if investigators were able to find and return the rest of Ashley’s remains.

“You literally learn to put up that wall and go day by day and just pray that you get through,” said a tearful Kristine Young.

“Her smile was always so beautiful, and her heart was always so giving,” said Kristine Young to the crowd in her yard. “And I know she would not want us to cry and to mourn her. She would want us to live, but it’s really hard to move on.”

The Young family asked all who attended the vigil to do an act of kindness in honor of Ashley’s life.
Family has vigil in honor of Ashley Young's death

That's a wonderful way to ask people to honor Ashley,an act of kindness is something every one can do. Lovely. Heartbreaking she left this life when she had it all ahead of her. Taken from her by scum that refused to even Grant her to rest in peace. Extremely hard to fathom WTH his parents were attempting to do. Just sickening.MOO

Monday, January 6th:
*Bench Trial set to begin for both (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found Dec. 2, 2018) – *Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Both plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18). Bound over from Kent County to Grand Rapids Circuit Court.
Bench trial set for 10/14/19, moved to 1/6/20.
*Jared James Chance (29) – Trial was 9/9/19 & found guilty. Sentenced to 100 to 200 years.

Posted at 9:59 AM
Updated at 10:28 AM
“GRAND RAPIDS — Barbara Chance, mother of convicted murderer and Holland native Jared Chance, pleaded no contest to charges of accessory after the fact to a felony and perjury the morning of Jan. 6, as her husband James, watching from the courtroom gallery, prepared to go to trial for the same charges.

Barbara Chance, 64, will be sentenced on Feb. 19.

[SBM]

The judge said based upon his evaluation, Barbara Chance’s maximum sentence would be one year in the county jail, unless new information comes to light during the pre-sentence investigation that affects the evaluation. She has a ‘clean prior criminal history,’ the judge said.

A jury was being selected for former police officer James Chance’s trial Monday morning.” (BBM)
Mother of murderer Jared Chance pleads to accessory, perjury charges

Tuesday, January 7th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found Dec. 2, 2018) – only for *James Howard Chance (76) & *Barbara Louise Chance (63) (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Both plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18). Bound over from Kent County to Grand Rapids Circuit Court.
Trial began on 1/6/20 for only James with jury selection.
1/6/20 Day 1 Update: Barbara Chance plead no contest to charges of accessory after the fact to a felony & perjury the morning of Jan. 6, as her husband James, watching from the courtroom gallery, prepared to go to trial for the same charges. She will be sentenced on Feb. 19. The judge said based upon his evaluation, Barbara’s maximum sentence would be one year in the county jail, unless new information comes to light during the pre-sentence investigation that affects the evaluation. She has a ‘clean prior criminal history per Judge. James' trial started with jury selection Monday. Jury selection continues on 1/7/20.
*Jared James Chance (29) – Trial was 9/9/19 & found guilty. Sentenced to 100 to 200 years.

If anyone "hears" anything on this case - please post!

Wednesday, January 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found Dec. 2, 2018) – only for *James Howard Chance (76) & *Barbara Louise Chance (63) (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Both plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18). Bound over from Kent County to Grand Rapids Circuit Court.
Trial began on 1/6/20 for only James with jury selection.
1/6/20 Update: Barbara Chance plead no contest to charges of accessory after the fact to a felony & perjury the morning of Jan. 6, as her husband James, watching from the courtroom gallery, prepared to go to trial for the same charges. She will be sentenced on Feb. 19. The judge said based upon his evaluation, Barbara’s maximum sentence would be one year in the county jail, unless new information comes to light during the pre-sentence investigation that affects the evaluation. She has a ‘clean prior criminal history per Judge. James' trial started with jury selection Monday.
1/7/20 Day 2: No information, trial continues on 1/8.

Praying for Ashley’s mom.
5 hours ago
”GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Testimony continues today in the trial of James Chance, who’s accused of helping his son cover up a murder and dismemberment.

James Chance’s son, Jared Chance, was previously convicted of murdering Ashley Young, 31, of Oshtemo Township at his Grand Rapids home in late 2018. James Chance is accused of perjury and being an accessory after the fact in the dismemberment of Young’s body.

James Chance’s other son, Konrad Chance, said in court Wednesday that his brother, Jared Chance, placed something into a fire pit at the Holland home after Jared killed and dismembered Ashley Young.

Konrad Chance testified Jared Chance told him he killed and ‘chopped up’ Ashley Young at their home in Holland.

’He was the saddest I’d ever seen him,’ Konrad said.

Konrad Chance says that right after his brother confessed to his parents, they drove to police headquarters. He said the family was crying as they drove from Holland to Grand Rapids.

On Tuesday, jurors heard opening statements from the prosecution and defense. Prosecutors said James Chance chose not to tell police what happened and later lie to investigators, while the defense said he was just doing the best he could in a difficult situation.

Following witnesses included Young’s mother; Jared Chance’s roommate, who discovered Young’s partial remains in the house where they both rented apartments; and officers and crime scene technicians who investigated the murder.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Testimony resumes in trial of convicted killer’s dad

“CHANCE TRIAL: James Chance shares a laugh with family in the gallery before the second day of his trial on charges of accessory after the fact and perjury in his son’s murder of Ashley Young. He seems relatively relaxed.”
8:43 AM · Jan 8, 2020
ENw2MI9WoAAVgTz

Carolyn Muyskens on Twitter

“Konrad testifies in his father's trial this morning. He remembers his brother Jared Chance loading things — including the box containing Ashley's limbs — into the car. Says he didn't know what had happened but ‘it seemed like something was bad.’”
9:51 AM · Jan 8, 2020
ENxFpRYXkAEP_8Y

“He also said Jared Chance put ‘clothes or something’ into a fire pit at the Chance parents' Holland house. Prosecutor said this is new information just coming out in Konrad's testimony this morning.”
9:53 AM · Jan 8, 2020

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member