Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had a very busy weekend and wasn't able to check but I had hoped that there would be some good news on the search for Brendan this morning. I feel for his family and friends. I hope he is recovered soon. Sending good vibes out to everyone searching for this young man.

I live about 5 miles from where Brendan is from. First heard about him missing from the next door app/webpage. No new updates that haven't been posted here. Prayers he is found soon. The big game with MSU and U of M was the weekend he went missing. More parties, more celebrations etc.

I'm sure many of us are growing impatient and want Brendan to be found soon. I think we need to trust that LE has good reason to believe that the young man may have accidentally fallen into the Red Cedar River and that is why they contine their underwater search. JMO

I'm sure many of us are growing impatient and want Brendan to be found soon. I think we need to trust that LE has good reason to believe that the young man may have accidentally fallen into the Red Cedar River and that is why they contine their underwater search. JMO

To be honest, we’d all look in any water nearby. We have all seen this happen so many times. Males in particular seem to gravitate towards water and it breaks my heart.

I am hoping and praying Brendan is safe and will be found soon, but I am very afraid nonetheless.

Folks who are local, do you know if the river search is continuing today?

Michigan State University Police Expand Partnership In Search For 18-Year-Old Brendan Santo

EAST LANSING, Mich. (CBS Detroit) – The search for missing 18-year-old Brendan Santo continued over the weekend with Michigan State University Police expanding its partnership with multiple agencies.

The partnership includes:

• East Lansing Police Department
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Grand Valley State University Police Department
  • Ingham County Sheriff’s Office
  • Michigan Department of Attorney General
  • Michigan State Police
  • Oakland County Sheriff’s Office
READ MORE:AG Nessel: Glamping Company Pleads No Contest To Fraud In Antrim County
Police said the investigation included reviews of cellular, smart phone and GPS data, as well as searches by foot, drone, helicopter, boat, canine units, divers and civilian volunteers.

“We have been collaborating with our local, state, and federal partners for several days, and this arrangement formalizes and expands our team while making additional expert resources and personnel available to assist us in bringing Brendan home,” said Inspector Chris Rozman, public information officer with MSU Police and Public Safety. “We particularly appreciate the continued help and support offered by Grand Valley State University and Oakland County, who have been providing investigators with direct contact to those close with Brendan.”

According to MSU police, the 18-year-old Grand Valley State University student was last seen on Oct. 29 at MSU where he was visiting friends.

Last week, university police said they did not suspect foul play and did not believe Santo intended to harm himself. The search also expanded to Red Cedar River.

READ MORE:State Rep. Shri Thanedar Plans Run For Congressional Seat In Detroit
“We recognize that this has been a concerning time for members of our community and beyond and we appreciate the outpouring of support from each of you and your individual efforts to spread awareness about our ongoing efforts,” said Vice President for Public Safety and Chief of Police Marlon Lynch. “We will continue our tireless search and investigation, and we will do everything we can to bring Brendan home.”

Police said the Santo family will be offering a $5,000 reward to anyone with credible information that leads to finding Santo. The reward will be managed through Crime Stoppers of Mid–Michigan through the existing MSU Police and Public Safety toll–free tip line and tip email.

Anyone with information can call toll–free at 844–99–MSUPD or email tips@police.msu.edu. You can also contact Crime Stoppers of Mid–Michigan at 517–483–STOP.

MSU Police and Public Safety can be contacted anytime by calling 517–355–2221 or 911 for emergencies.

Folks who are local, do you know if the river search is continuing today?

We haven't heard anything about continued dive activities outside of those that happened several days ago. That's not to say these searches in the Red Cedar River have not continued, but there is no official public discussion of further water searches at this time.

One of the routes Brendan would have taken would have brought him close to the river and there does appear to be a gap in the physical structures guarding from accidental river access (with a significant drop off) along one of those routes.

The MSU Police Department has ruled out foul play, but has not indicated why such a scenario has been rejected.

As a former MSU student (and a resident of the community Brendan was raised and lived), I'm sure you can understand there are many of us who have been doing all we can to help in his search. It is not uncommon for missing persons to have been recovered from the Red Cedar River, but it is rare for a case like this to be based on speculation alone and not concrete or evidential answers.

Over 300 of us searched the MSU campus and outlying areas and have submitted a lot of tips, but there are no answers yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How can we get answers if he fell into the river or if he was abducted or harmed in any way? Is it uncommon to have so little after over a week has passed?

We haven't heard anything about continued dive activities outside of those that happened several days ago. That's not to say these searches in the Red Cedar River have not continued, but there is no official public discussion of further water searches at this time.

One of the routes Brendan would have taken would have brought him close to the river and there does appear to be a gap in the physical structures guarding from accidental river access (with a significant drop off) along one of those routes.

The MSU Police Department has ruled out foul play, but has not indicated why such a scenario has been rejected.

As a former MSU student (and a resident of the community Brendan was raised and lived), I'm sure you can understand there are many of us who have been doing all we can to help in his search. It is not uncommon for missing persons to have been recovered from the Red Cedar River, but it is rare for a case like this to be based on speculation alone and not concrete or evidential answers.

Over 300 of us searched the MSU campus and outlying areas and have submitted a lot of tips, but there are no answers yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How can we get answers if he fell into the river or if he was abducted or harmed in any way? Is it uncommon to have so little after over a week has passed?

Welcome to Websleuths! Thanks for your post and for helping in the search for Brendan. I'm in RH, too :)

This is the area where Brendan was last seen. The circled area indicates a break in the access to the Red Cedar River with a dropoff of about 80 feet. I have not seen this particular location personally though. I imagine this doesn't look good

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 87
This is the area where Brendan was last seen. The circled area indicates a break in the access to the Red Cedar River with a dropoff of about 80 feet. I have not seen this particular location personally though. I imagine this doesn't look good

An 80 foot drop? And it’s not fenced off? This is not good at all.

I am going on hearsay a bit on this information though. My search area was in a different location, so I did not see this part personally.

If it’s true something needs to be done about this. The drop seems huge. My understanding of the campus is that the river runs through it and as areas have flooded before, at least some of it is flat land. Is there a very hilly area?

Well done for joining the search efforts. It’s never as easy as people think as there is potentially a risk you’ll find a body. The kindness of searching despite this risk is selfless and to be admired.

I am going on hearsay a bit on this information though. My search area was in a different location, so I did not see this part personally.

Hmm.... we were just there at the beginning of October. I would believe it's an 8 foot drop, but not 80.

Thanks for all you and the volunteers are doing to help, @Jelee And thank you for this information. My DS is a freshman in West Circle and walks around at all hours (despite his parents telling him not to). We're so far away, and it's helpful to know what's going on with the search each day.

ETA: I wonder like you how LE are able to completely rule out foul play. People don't just disappear.

If it’s true something needs to be done about this. The drop seems huge. My understanding of the campus is that the river runs through it and as areas have flooded before, at least some of it is flat land. Is there a very hilly area?

It is not hilly, but very wooded. One of the greatest things about MSU's campus is how glorious it is with its greenery and lush landscapes. It is easy to mistake a dangerous area with a beautiful forested path.

I think the Beale St bridge has a fair drop and on Google maps there is a bit to the side of it where you could gain access to the river. But it’s a road bridge, so unless he was being chased, I can’t see why he wouldn’t just use the bridge. Unless he was trying to discreetly nip to the loo and thought it was just a wooded area and didn’t realise it’s a steep drop. It wouldn’t be the first time this has happened.

Aren’t there CCTV cameras everywhere?

Here's a topographic map of the area. You can see the low area around the river and where he was last located, but not steep drop-offs. I think a steep drop-off would look like a blue area abutting an orange area, for example, with out any other gradations of color. The middle of Michigan is also very, very flat...

East Lansing topographic map, elevation, relief

Even an eight-foot drop-off is a lot though. It could be that he hit his head and was knocked out when he fell. I pray that answers come soon.

Here's a topographic map of the area. You can see the low area around the river and where he was last located, but not steep drop-offs. I think a steep drop-off would look like a blue area abutting an orange area, for example, with out any other gradations of color. The middle of Michigan is also very, very flat...

East Lansing topographic map, elevation, relief

Even an eight-foot drop-off is a lot though. It could be that he hit his head and was knocked out when he fell. I pray that answers come soon.

Thank you. It looks such a beautiful campus. I saw a tv report stating that there’s a lot of natural debris in the river, so he could have got caught up in that. It’s just so sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back