GUILTY MI - Charlie Bothuell, 12, Detroit, 16 June 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Next, we go on to the burning of the front door, Feb. 2012 (same month as other fire). Again, Charlie says he doesn't remember.

Something about urinating in the garbage in the tunnel???

Charlie says he never hit Luke, his step-brother.

Now, he asks Charlie if he used chlorine and ammonia to do the dishes? Dillard refers to it as a "poisoning event"!

It seems like everything he ever did, or was accused of doing is being brought out.

I think you get the idea.

Well, I'm sorry I couldn't do the entire day. It's been the day from heck!

My heart goes out to Charlie. He was treated so badly. Now, everything wrong he did is being thrown at him to prove what a bad person he is, as if he deserved the beatings and second-class treatment. He was no angel, I'm sure, but what kid ever is at age 11? He needed very special care and guidance from a loving father who would put him first. From what I'm hearing in cross, dad did the right things for him. Made him lose weight (possibly with an inadequate diet) and an excess of exercise. No school, no friends. An occasional trip to visit relatives. What kind of a nurse is he?

Here is a video and live tweets from yesterday, as well as an excellent article.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28997119/charlie-bothuell-testifies-about-abuse-hiding-in-basement

On Wednesday 13-year-old Charlie Bothuell took the stand to describe the abuse he says he suffered at the hands of his father and stepmother.

A judge will determine if the Detroit couple will stand trial for child abuse and torture.

"My dad had a PVC pipe," Bothuell said. "He drove it into my chest and twisted it and cut some of my skin off."

Poor little guy. Trying to kill himself at 11-12. He must have been so desperate. My heart goes out to him

Where is this process at? Is the hearing over and waiting for a determination? Did I miss something?

I listened to about 30 minutes of testimony and am disgusted with the "parents" for putting this young man through this :stormingmad: Young Charlie was horribly mistreated by his father and stepmother and should not have to relive such a sad episode in his young life. Shame on them for thinking only of themselves and saving their own butts at the expense of their son/stepson.

This attorney disgusts me! These "parents" disgust me! I will say again, they seem to be basing their whole defense on - he lied!

:furious:

Is this still in the hearing stage to see if this will go to court?

I was away all day and missed this, but yes, it's still the preliminary hearing. It's up to the judge to decide if there is enough "evidence" to go to trial. Right now, it's 2+ attorneys and 2 adults against one vulnerable 13-year-old recounting what happened when he was 11.

Detroit boy found in basement after 11 days undergoes cross-examination

Published On: May 20 2015 09:14:55 AM EDT Updated On: May 20 2015 05:29:29 PM EDT

DETROIT -
A defense lawyer attacked the credibility of a 13-year-old boy who couldn't be found for 11 days last summer, repeatedly questioning on Wednesday why he failed to emerge from his basement despite visits by police to the Detroit home.

Charlie Bothuell acknowledged that he liked the result of daily rigorous workouts on his overweight body, despite claims by prosecutors that the exercise demanded by his father and stepmother was extreme and unreasonable...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nt-after-11-days-to-be-crossexamined/33122826

I'm not sure yet that this will go to trial. Continuation of pre-trial hearing is scheduled for June 8. Perhaps we'll know then whether or not this case will proceed to a jury trial.

For now, it seems to be young Charlie's word against his father and stepmother, and they won't have to testify or submit to grueling cross-examination. I don't think Charlie has the maturity to respond to Mr. Smith's slick questioning style without becoming confused and unwittingly tripping himself up at times. I wonder how either of the "parents" would handle similar snake-in-the-grass cross examination?

I suspect the prosecution has a lot of ammunition against the father/stepmother that they're reserving for trial because Wayne County Prosecutor, Kym Worthy, doesn't bring charges lightly and has a phenomenal conviction record. Young Charlie's father and stepmother requested a jury trial; they might eventually regret their choice. :moo:

She better lay it all out now or she may miss her chance for justice.

Teen back in court to testify against dad, stepmother in Detroit boy-in-basement case

DETROIT -
A boy found in his Detroit basement after an 11-day search last summer will face more questions as a key hearing against his father and stepmother winds down.

Charlie Bothuell and Monique Dillard-Bothuell are charged with torture and child abuse. A judge must decide whether there's enough evidence to send them to trial.

This phase of the case began in March. There has been testimony from 13-year-old Charlie Bothuell, police and others. Judge Shannon Holmes has promised that Monday will be the boy's last appearance...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...mother-in-detroit-boyinbasement-case/33455946

I haven't been at home all day but have watched parts of testimony today. As Nancy Grace would say: "Bombshell tonight!" One of the evidence techs at the scene testified that he saw a "marijuana-growing operation" in the Bothuell basement". Media cameras immediately focused on the defense table where Charlie IV and Monique Dillard-Bothuell were seated. First time since this pre-trial hearing began that I saw them even look at each other, and they looked stunned :eek: Did they really think no one would notice something like this? MD-B's attorney tried to do some fancy tap-dancing around the issue as he continued questioning the detective, but I noticed the startled look on the Judge's face when she was caught by cameras. Major WOW!

wow, interesting turn of events here. Thanks some more for keeping this thread updated BDE.

Wowsers!!!! Yes thanks BDE for all your updates.

Cop says he didn't have OK to search basement for boy

Oralandar Brand-Williams 2:33 p.m. EDT June 8, 2015

Detroit — A Detroit police officer said Monday he didn't have the authority to search the basement of a home while investigating the case of a missing teen who was found alive 11 days later in his townhouse's cellar.

Lt. Kenneth Gardner testified during the sixth day of the preliminary hearing of the boy's father and stepmother that he went to the home of Charlie Bothuell V on June 17 to supervise and then help in the investigation, but didn't have a search warrant to search the home or its basement.

Charlie's father, Charlie Bothuell IV, and stepmother, Monique Dillard-Bothuell, have been charged with torture and child abuse in the case...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/06/08/bothuell-case/28679403/

Tweets from journalist covering the case detail testimony of the "marijuana grow operation" found in the Bothuell basement. Like I said earlier, "Bombshell!"

I wasn't aware there was testimony today and didn't watch live stream. Saw update on WDIV news at 5:00 and in this article that includes statements from Charlie's dad and stepmother. I don't like the father's continued reference to "correcting the behavior". The man sounds like a bully; no wonder young Charlie was afraid of him! :stormingmad:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...bout-charlie-bothuells-disappearance/33484166

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hobo1977
Back