GUILTY MI - Chelsea Bruck, 22, Frenchtown Twp, 26 Oct 2014 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Niner.... good to have you here. Monroe is not known for giving much by way of advance notice of what is happening, so we are all just :waiting:

okay then - I shall :waiting: around here with you all!

:rose: JUSTICE FOR ZUZU :rose:

I did not know this was happening today. Seems DC regrets being so open now.

Daniel Clay, who is accused of killing Chelsea Bruck, is in court today on a motion to suppress his interview with detectives.
The Walker hearing is when Judge Daniel S. White will decide if certain statements made by Mr. Clay during the hours-long interviews with detectives can be used as evidence or should be suppressed.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170412/clay-testifies-at-walker-hearing

HE BETTER NOT GET OFF ON A TECHNICALITY!
Sorry to shout....😠

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've never understood how something you say to police that is recorded can even be questionable as evidence. You said it! There is proof you said it! End of story. Did they not read him his rights before he said those things?

Yes! Here is what happened at the Walker hearing to have the tape thrown out.
(With short video of D.C. on the stand)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2017...pretrial-hearing-earlier-videotape-admissable

-In his first public statements since his arrest, Mr. Clay said on the stand that he understood his rights to have a lawyer present during questioning and admitted that he never directly asked for an attorney and willingly spoke to Monroe County sheriff’s detectives.

-
Accused murderer Daniel Clay testified in court Wednesday during a pretrial hearing that he was hungry, nervous and under stress when he was being interviewed by detectives during the investigation of the Chelsea Bruck homicide.

-. “I was really stressed out. I was scared. I wanted to tell my side of the events.“

- The judge ruled that the taped interview was admissible.
“He never said ’I want a lawyer,’” Judge White said during his ruling. “He wanted to tell his side of the story. He felt he needed to get his story out.“

-. A portion of the recorded 3½-hour interview was played in court and although he was heard mentioning the idea of obtaining a lawyer, Mr. Clay also was heard saying that he did not want legal representation during questioning.

-The detectives, Mr. Roehrig added, asked the defendant numerous times if he wanted a lawyer.

-. In addition to allowing the interview, Judge White also ruled that DNA evidence collected in the case that eventually implicated Mr. Clay can be admitted as evidence. However, Judge White ruled that prosecutors are not allowed to introduce a separate rape case allegedly involving Mr. Clay during the murder trial, which is set to begin May 8 and last at least five days.

However, Judge White ruled that prosecutors are not allowed to introduce a separate rape case allegedly involving Mr. Clay during the murder trial, which is set to begin May 8 and last at least five days.[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is ridiculous, IMO, it shows that he has a history of being sexually violent. Why would they not allow that to be spoken about?! This guy is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is ridiculous, IMO, it shows that he has a history of being sexually violent. Why would they not allow that to be spoken about?! This guy is dangerous.

probably because it is a "separate case" that will also be going to trial, and neither can bring info from the other trial into theirs. I tried finding a legal description, but no luck. Had they both happened during the same "event" it probably would have been allowed.

All JMO. .... but I wish we had a lawyer following along here.

probably because it is a "separate case" that will also be going to trial, and neither can bring info from the other trial into theirs. I tried finding a legal description, but no luck. Had they both happened during the same "event" it probably would have been allowed.

All JMO. .... but I wish we had a lawyer following along here.

It may be because the judge was worried the potential "prejudicial effect would substantially outweigh the probative value."

That's a legal phrase under the rules of evidence that excludes evidence if there's a substantial likelihood jurors will assume that since the defendant may have done one crime, he probably committed this crime also.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

It may also be excluded info since Chelsea's death came first; the rape case occurred much later. and since the rape case has not been to trial yet, we don't know if he is actually "guilty" of that.

Graphic color photos may be used during trial

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...raphic-color-photos-in-Daniel-Clay-trial.html

“We have a DVD containing 50 or 60 pictures, some of which are very graphic and grisly in nature,” Russell Smith, attorney for Clay, told the court. “There is some evidentiary value to some of the photos as they come to bear regarding injuries to the decedent and also there is some evidentiary value as far as the location of the body of the decedent; however, I would ask that the prosecution be limited as far as the introduction of the photographs, to limit the graphic nature of it.”

Michael Roehrig, chief assistant prosecutor, conceded some of the photos of Miss Bruck’s remains were “graphic and grisly to a degree, but that’s only because, as we allege, the defendant left Miss Bruck in an exposed place where her body could not be properly cared for.”

...final motion hearing for May 5. The trial is expected to begin with jury selection May 8.

Any locals planning to attend the trial? Wish I lived closer to Monroe as I would definitely attend at least once. Thoughts and prayers for Chelsea's family as they seek justice for their beloved daughter/sister :rose:

I would like to attend, but I have so many appointments that it may be too hard for me. I am sure at some point I will get there at least once.

Any locals planning to attend the trial? Wish I lived closer to Monroe as I would definitely attend at least once. Thoughts and prayers for Chelsea's family as they seek justice for their beloved daughter/sister :rose:

I also would like to attend at least one of the days. I am not sure if/when I can go. It may be an hour drive from
where I live.

Daniel Clay heads to court for Chelsea Bruck's slaying.

From article:
Jury selection begins Monday morning and because of the notoriety of the case, the pool is close to 200 people.
Opening statements might be Tuesday with witness testimony following and continuing through Thursday. After a break Friday, the trial is expected to enter a second week.
The trial will be heard before 38th Circuit Judge Daniel S. White, but will be held in the courtroom of Judge Michael A. Weipert because it is larger.

This is a trial that will include details of a missing person, of sex, of a tragic death and the hiding of a body. Her past is sure to be dissected. For Monroe County, this is no typical case.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170507/daniel-clay-heads-to-court-for-chelsea-brucks-slaying

Thanks, monster. I have been watching for any updates. I have so many appointments scheduled in the next few weeks that I may not be able to attend at all, but I will try. I wonder how long it is expected to take with @80+ win=tnesses between both sides.

I hope it will be televised.

Thanks, monster. I have been watching for any updates. I have so many appointments scheduled in the next few weeks that I may not be able to attend at all, but I will try. I wonder how long it is expected to take with @80+ win=tnesses between both sides.

I hope it will be televised.

I know. I didn't realize it started tomorrow. I'm really hoping the news stations stream it like last time. I would assume so since they were there for the last court appearances, but I'm not really sure how cases like this work. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to hearing more details. [emoji20]

I know. I didn't realize it started tomorrow. I'm really hoping the news stations stream it like last time. I would assume so since they were there for the last court appearances, but I'm not really sure how cases like this work. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to hearing more details. [emoji20]

Details are going to be tough, especially for family. I just want this to be over for them so badly. I sure hope Monroe comes thorough on this one. too many have gone unresolved around here.

latest updates this morning; nothing really new here.

Jury selection today, pool consists of @ 200 people. opening statements expected tomorrow. trial should last @ a week, sometime into next week.

No word yet on whether it will be live streamed.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/T...murder-of-Chelsea-Bruck-begins-421594063.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/05/08/party-disappearance-death/101422436/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...trial-in-death-of-woman-after-halloween-party

A few snips from the article five days ago. (A brief review of the case up to now). (Any bold is by me)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170507/daniel-clay-heads-to-court-for-chelsea-brucks-slaying

-It could take all of Monday or longer to select a jury.

-Opening statements might be Tuesday with witness testimony following and continuing through Thursday. After a break Friday, the trial is expected to enter a second week.

-The trial will be heard before 38th Circuit Judge Daniel S. White, but will be held in the courtroom of Judge Michael A. Weipert because it is larger.

-
Representing the state will be Chief Assistant Prosecutor Michael G. Roehrig with assistance by Assistant Prosecutor Leah J. Hubbard. They expect to call up to 60 witnesses and submit as many as 150 or more exhibits as evidence.

-
Mr. Clay will be defended by Temperance attorney Russell A. Smith with assistance by Matthew P. Mundrick, also of Temperance. They expect to call up to 26 witnesses.

-It is unknown if Mr. Clay will testify on his own behalf.

-
The question to be answered in the trial isn’t if Mr. Clay killed Miss Bruck, it’s why and how she died at his hands. In previous court hearings, the defense claimed that Mr. Clay accidentally killed Miss Bruck by choking her during rough sex.

-
Prosecutors contend, based on a medical examiner’s findings, that Chelsea was beaten to death.

-
This is a trial that will include details of a missing person, of sex, of a tragic death and the hiding of a body. Her past is sure to be dissected. For Monroe County, this is no typical case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member