MI MI - Danielle Stislicki, 28, Southfield, 2 Dec 2016 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory is fuzzy, so my apologies if I am remembering incorrectly, but I think you once stated you are an attorney.
What are your thoughts on how LE might have been able to identify Galloway's DNA and been able to use it against him in the Hines Park case?

I am assuming here that he has never consented to a voluntary DNA test. The possibility still exists (e.g., I have no idea if one would be required to, but say, he was in order to volunteer as an EMT), but unlikely, IMO. Still, in the example above, would his DNA profile be entered into CODIS at that point, and would the DA be allowed to present it as evidence in order to at least charge him with a crime, and specifically, in MI?

It has been reported over 60 search warrants have been executed in Danielle's case. Say a male DNA was found found on multiple items (e.g., a dirty cup in the sink, a toothbrush, a comb, etc.) seized during one of the searches of his residence, in which case, it would be reasonable to assume, IMO, that the DNA belongs to Galloway. If so, would the search warrant allow the DNA evidence to be entered into CODIS, and are the DA(s) allowed to use it against him not only in Danielle's case, but in other criminal cases as well (e.g., Hines Park and possibly Allen Park) from that point on?

There has been much debate about how DNA evidence has been used to connect the Hines Park case to Danielle's case, and I'm just trying to think of possible scenarios.

I think -though as a layperson- the Oakland County DA has been very shrewd in building a case against Galloway in Danielle's case. One thing that stands out to me in particular is the fact that Galloway has now been ordered by a judge to submit to a DNA -and a HIV- test. LE will now have DNA that irrefutably belongs him, rather than samples found on items collected during searches. I was afraid that a decent defense attorney might be able to convince a jury there is no way to tell definitively that the samples collected from the Berkely house belong to Galloway, that for example, he had a friend (or especially a relative, who may share a similar DNA profile) staying with him, and thus the DNA from the samples belong to the friend/relative; this type of argument might be employed by the attorney to defend him in almost any case in which a DA may choose to introduce DNA as evidence against him also.

His fate is pretty much sealed, however, and Danielle has not only saved many women from being victimized, but very likely lives as well. I will never forget Dani.

LOL. You underestimate your memory! Just to cover my *advertiser censored* here, I am from Michigan but not licensed in Michigan, so take everything I say with a handful of salt. Most of this stuff is pretty standard across US jurisdictions but criminal law isn’t even my practice area, so I don’t want to mislead you. I have no inside info. This case hits too close to home for me and I’m admittedly way over-invested, so I’ve done my research. I think there are a few MI lawyers following this thread so if they say I'm wrong, defer to them, lol. I will do my best to provide you with some sources so that you can arrive at your own educated opinions, though.

At the outset, I agree with just about everything you said. He probably never consented to a voluntary DNA test. He lawyered up pretty quickly. Even for his various jobs (security guard, EMT, firefighter training), they probably did not collect his DNA. Most background checks consist of drug tests, public criminal record, and maybe fingerprints. My initial feeling at the very beginning of all this was that fingerprints might come back to haunt him. Did I read somewhere in the past few days that he had a DUI conviction at some point in his past?

I don't want to go too far down the speculation rabbit hole here. It doesn’t really matter if he voluntarily gave up his DNA at this point, anyway. Well, it does, but only to the extent that LE followed the book on obtaining the search warrants and the laws of criminal procedure. If there were 60-some warrants executed related to Danielle’s case, and FG’s home was searched 5-7 times (as reported), you can pretty much bet that they got a warrant for a DNA swab or hair sample or both. They can only use that warranted sample to the extent of investigating the matter outlined in the warrant (Danielle’s case — not the sexual assault case — which is why you’ve probably noticed the careful wording used in recent news articles). However, it’s a little different for when they obtained DNA by swabbing her car or anything else not directly coming out of FG's body for the purpose of collecting his DNA.

You shouldn’t think of CODIS as just one giant database. To pull directly from Wikipedia:
"The CODIS software contains multiple different databases depending on the type of information being searched against. Examples of these databases include, missing persons, convicted offenders, and forensic samples collected from crime scenes..." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_DNA_Index_System)

That last example is what is relevant here. Think about it. We have 2, maybe 3 crime scenes and 2 victims. For Danielle, LE has probably focused on collecting evidence from her Jeep, her apartment, and Berkley house. For the jogger, her physical body, clothes, etc., would be the primary focus for collection purposes.

If the Hines Park sexual assault victim went to the hospital and had her clothes taken for evidence, and her skin swabbed, etc., there could be DNA from an alleged assailant on that evidence. If so, they can run it through CODIS/Forensic Index to see if there is a hit. A hit can either be a possible suspect profile whose DNA is in the system and can be identified or be what they call, “a forensic hit.” A forensic hit is when you have a DNA profile from different crime scenes that match but the identity of the possible offender is still totally unknown. (https://www.fbi.gov/services/laboratory/biometric-analysis/codis/codis-and-ndis-fact-sheet) SOOO… if, for example, they collected DNA evidence from a possible offender via Danielle’s Jeep (remember - they have said they are pretty certain someone else drove her car) or whatever else, it could have matched up with the sexual assault kit evidence from the Hines Park victim. That is looking like it boils down to the same guy.

With how long this has taken, I’m certain they have way more evidence than we know about. This is where the "puzzle piece" metaphor is most applicable. There’s a reason they requested to seal the record in the sexual assault case. If they’re worried about “threats,” that seems to suggest there is at least one witness who might be "worth" threatening/harassing. If we are to believe the news reports, there is, at the very least, forensic evidence from the Hines Park case that overlaps to some extent with forensic evidence from Danielle’s case. There is also a sketch and witness description that at least somewhat resembles the alleged perpetrator in the Hines Park case. That guy has similar features as the guy living in the Berkley home, who may or may not have been the last one seen with Danielle, but at least was acquainted with her. They may have phone pings or traffic/trail cams that put him/his phone/his vehicle in the vicinity of the trail… AT LEAST. We aren’t privy to the rest but law enforcement at least had sufficient probable cause to charge Floyd Galloway Jr. in the sexual assault case. I think that's how those "puzzle pieces" fit together.

Now... to specifically address the DNA connection and what evidence is admissible...

Michigan recently revised their DNA collection laws. If you are arrested for attempting to commit or actually committing certain types of felonies, you will be court ordered to provide a DNA sample for profiling purposes (CODIS). (https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/CODIS_FAQs_491665_7.pdf) The Supreme Court of the US seems to be on board with the general idea. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/dna-databases/) Now, look at Floyd’s charges… multiple felonies. That’s why the court ordered him to provide a DNA sample. Even though the evidence obtained from warrants related to the probable cause for charging him in the assault case cannot be used in subsequent unrelated cases (or vice versa), the court ordered sample can be entered into CODIS and that can be used to connect him to potential DNA evidence from crime scenes that has already been databased. You use the search warrant to get the DNA to get the probable cause to arrest and charge with a felony, which then requires a sample be taken to be put into the Index. Then, when you run through the crime scene evidence obtained in a totally different case, it will hit with the court-verified DNA profile and BOOM! Now the cases are connected by DNA officially. As I wrote in my previous comment, there’s a few scenarios where it might be problematic (procedural issues, he is acquitted of the sexual assault, bad faith prosecution, things like that), but I personally don’t think they’d risk it with Danielle’s case and how careful they’ve been with it.
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-176

As you said, “LE will now have DNA that irrefutably belongs him, rather than samples found on items collected during searches.” I don’t think it’s an accident they decide to move forward with one case and not the other quite yet. That irrefutable DNA could end up being very significant down the line. Here is an example of a different MI sexual assault case where they were able to link different crimes this way to get a subsequent conviction on an unrelated crime: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/09/dna_links_suspect_to_cold-case.html. The Chelsea Bruck case is another one where they connected the dots this way:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2016/08/09/Daniel-Clay-accused-in-crimes-not-tied-to-Bruck.html

I can’t really speak to the jury aspect. Conceivably, a defense attorney could argue that the DNA at the home doesn’t match or isn’t FG’s and a jury could believe it. I’d like to think we’re past the OJ Simpson era but… juries are unpredictable. Lastly, as far as I’m aware, the HIV test has become standard for people going to jail because of the increased risk among incarcerated individuals. They track it so they can treat it.

Whew! That took a minute! I think I answered one or two of your questions, though? Hopefully?

How do I get my novel-length comment into one of those fancy boxes that you click to
expand to prevent one post from taking up a whole thread page? I can't seem to figure it out.

I've been on a long hiatus from Websleuths for a variety of reasons. But I just wanted to pop my head in and say:

1. To old friends on this thread and others, "Hi, hello there - I've missed you!"
  2. This is not and never was about drugs.
  3. I am so glad there has been movement and I hope beyond hope that Dani is found so her family can finally have peace.
  4. I think about Dani every day. She remains the friend I never met.

Back to my hiatus... but all my love and thoughts remain with the Stislicki family and Dani's friends and to you guys who continue to keep her name alive.

:loveyou:

LOL. You underestimate your memory! Just to cover my *advertiser censored* here, I am from Michigan but not licensed in Michigan, so take everything I say with a handful of salt. Most of this stuff is pretty standard across US jurisdictions but criminal law isn’t even my practice area, so I don’t want to mislead you. I have no inside info. This case hits too close to home for me and I’m admittedly way over-invested, so I’ve done my research. I think there are a few MI lawyers following this thread so if they say I'm wrong, defer to them, lol. I will do my best to provide you with some sources so that you can arrive at your own educated opinions, though.

Respectfully snipped by me for space.

Thank you so much, mittenstate, for your very informative, as well as easy-to-understand post!

"I don’t think it’s an accident they decide to move forward with one case and not the other quite yet. That irrefutable DNA could end up being very significant down the line."

I very much agree with the above. Definitely prudent on the part of the DA. I just feel so terrible for Danielle's family for the process will likely take a long time, while she remains missing.

I'm trying to make sense of this law and whether or not that means they would have had his DNA from the DD or not...
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/new_michigan_laws_require_dna.html

Drinking and driving is not a felony unless it involves an accident causing death or serious bodily injury. Also a third DUI within seven years is classified as a felony. It's normally charged as a misdemeanor. I know people that have been pulled over for drinking and driving and they didn't submit DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to make sense of this law and whether or not that means they would have had his DNA from the DD or not...
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/01/new_michigan_laws_require_dna.html
Just for the sake of arguement, let's assume for a minute that they did not have his DNA prior to his arraignment for the Livonia rape.

I was thinking, if during one of the searches of FG's home, if perhaps they may have found some type of women's clothing among his clothes. They would have tested it against DS's and come up blank.

So, maybe in looking over the attempted rape in Livonia, they
ran the victim's DNA with the clothing found in FG's home and bingo, there's a match.

Would that have been enough to arrest FG for the Livonia assault? I would think so. But...
even though they are not calling FG a suspect in DS's disappearance, they are now naming him as a POI.

But, I'm wondering if they've found anything damning against FG in Dani's disappearance? And if not, they can rest assured that for the moment, FG is incarcerated.

And as far as the Allen Park rape goes, they now have a perfect sample of FG's DNA to compare with DNA found on the Allen Park victim or on her clothes. Who knows, maybe we'll get another match. And another attempted rape charge.

For the moment.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You also have a strong hint from Dani's father, who said that her helpfulness was what got her into her predicament.

Moreover, I believe one of the articles said that Dani's laptop from work was stowed under the passenger seat of her vehicle, which suggests that she left work with a passenger.

Thank you Ozoner for your post. Your words instantly took me back to that first press conference with Danielle's parents. So I've watched it again to refresh my memory, (and it broke my heart even more.)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/farmington-hills-woman-has-been-missing-since-friday

I realized it was after watching this press conference the very first time that my initial opinion was formed that Danielle likely had someone else with her in her car when she left Metlife.

Her mother sets the stage of the time Danielle left work. She asks repeatedly if anyone saw her car, or Danielle driving, and if so, what were Danielle's facial expressions? Her father asks, "Was she alone in that vehicle?"

I believe they had good reason to believe Danielle was not alone when she left Metlife. That's why I think FG intercepted her when she was leaving work.

I've included the link here so anyone else can also view it again too. I do apologize for hogging the board so much lately; I'm now just trying to clarify the logic behind my theory.

(I'm one of those OCD kind of people that just have to make their point. I drive my family/friends up the wall with it sometimes.)

Thank you Ozoner for your post. Your words instantly took me back to that first press conference with Danielle's parents. So I've watched it again to refresh my memory, (and it broke my heart even more.)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/farmington-hills-woman-has-been-missing-since-friday

I realized it was after watching this press conference the very first time that my initial opinion was formed that Danielle likely had someone else with her in her car when she left Metlife.

Her mother sets the stage of the time Danielle left work. She asks repeatedly if anyone saw her car, or Danielle driving, and if so, what were Danielle's facial expressions? Her father asks, "Was she alone in that vehicle?"

I believe they had good reason to believe Danielle was not alone when she left Metlife. That's why I think FG intercepted her when she was leaving work.

I've included the link here so anyone else can also view it again too. I do apologize for hogging the board so much lately; I'm now just trying to clarify the logic behind my theory.

(I'm one of those OCD kind of people that just have to make their point. I drive my family/friends up the wall with it sometimes.)

I did the same thing recently, went back and watched the first press conference. I often find that the biggest hints are dropped very early in the coverage before LE is aware of the significance of certain pieces of evidence and before memories get cloudy and having certain facts repeated over and over 'records over' certain other details in peoples' memories.

I agree with you, her parents really were pretty sure at that time of that first press conference that she had someone with her in the car. I think that's because LE thought that at the time, which leads me to believe that there is footage or an eyewitness statement that said she was seen with someone at MetLife or there is footage of her or an eyewitness who thought they saw her car with more than one person in it. I think LE already had an ocean's worth of information that they haven't released even now, but they still needed some puzzle pieces to fit before they could make an arrest in the case and give it its best chance of resulting in a conviction. Maybe they had an eyewitness who saw her talking to FG at MetLife, and later saw footage of her with someone in the car, but the footage was too grainy to be able to identify the other person. I also think they have some very good reason to believe that the car was returned by someone else; perhaps there is video of her car being driven toward her apartment showing someone else at the wheel, with footage that is too low resolution to definitively ID a specific person, but good enough to know that the driver is not a petite caucasian woman.

Floyd is due back in court July 6 (in the morning.) I was curious about the next steps in a criminal case in Michigan. I found this and thought I would share for those interested in how this will/should proceed.
https://www.michiganprosecutor.org/steps-in-a-criminal-case
I've been wondering if this hearing is a pre exam conference but by this link, that would not be in front of a judge. Is it possible then that this will be the preliminary hearing?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I did the same thing recently, went back and watched the first press conference. I often find that the biggest hints are dropped very early in the coverage before LE is aware of the significance of certain pieces of evidence and before memories get cloudy and having certain facts repeated over and over 'records over' certain other details in peoples' memories.

I agree with you, her parents really were pretty sure at that time of that first press conference that she had someone with her in the car. I think that's because LE thought that at the time, which leads me to believe that there is footage or an eyewitness statement that said she was seen with someone at MetLife or there is footage of her or an eyewitness who thought they saw her car with more than one person in it. I think LE already had an ocean's worth of information that they haven't released even now, but they still needed some puzzle pieces to fit before they could make an arrest in the case and give it its best chance of resulting in a conviction. Maybe they had an eyewitness who saw her talking to FG at MetLife, and later saw footage of her with someone in the car, but the footage was too grainy to be able to identify the other person. I also think they have some very good reason to believe that the car was returned by someone else; perhaps there is video of her car being driven toward her apartment showing someone else at the wheel, with footage that is too low resolution to definitively ID a specific person, but good enough to know that the driver is not a petite caucasian woman.

Thanks so much! You explained it all so much better than I ever could. I agree with every point you made. Your entire post was very methodical and covered every base.

As you said, those early hints were dropped, long before anyone was aware of their importance. It's only in hindsight now that we can see how that information has played out up to this point.

I will review this press conference again, as well as other videos and articles, that might reveal more information that I previously missed.

The one thing I should have noted when I posted the link to the press conference is that it was an edited version, starting right off with Danielle's parents. The unedited versions start with LE talking, and her parents do not come in to it until about ten minutes after it begins.

(Again, just clarification, because as I said, that's how I am...)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and explain your thoughts so well. Really appreciate that!

I've been wondering if this hearing is a pre exam conference but by this link, that would not be in front of a judge. Is it possible then that this will be the preliminary hearing?

I thought this was an evidentiary hearing which will show probable cause to the charges. Prosecuting attorney or someone from that office will provide judge with the basics of why Floyd was charged. If the judge feels the evidence is not solid based on her own judgement and that of the defense attorney argument then the case would be dismissed.

I thought this was an evidentiary hearing which will show probable cause to the charges. Prosecuting attorney or someone from that office will provide judge with the basics of why Floyd was charged. If the judge feels the evidence is not solid based on her own judgement and that of the defense attorney argument then the case would be dismissed.

Yes, that's what I assumed initially too but do not see it on the court schedule. (Evidentiary hearing=pre-trial=preliminary exam).

Just makes me wonder if this is a meeting between prosecutor and defense to discuss evidence and determine whether or not Floyd will waive his right to a prelim.

On the video of the arraignment she called it a prelim___ examination, according to my notes.
His lawyer also whispered to him that they could address bond at a later date, not getting any traction.
Sorry for my abbreviated scratching. I just don't want to add other words that I am not exactly sure about.
I know a Youtube video exists, however I am not sure if it was the with-sound or without-sound version.

Two different articles list two different dates for the probable cause hearing ?

[Dani's parents]So there they were Wednesday morning, at the arraignment of 30-year-old Floyd Galloway of Berkley in Livonia's 16th District Court on charges including kidnapping and criminal sexual conduct stemming from an assault last October in Hines Park.

Livonia Police arrested Galloway on Tuesday in connection with the Hines Park assault. He was arraigned before 16th District Judge Kathleen McCann. Galloway stood mute at arraignment and McCann entered a not-guilty plea on his behalf.
She set a $750,000 cash bond and ordered Galloway to be bound by a GPS tether should he make bail.
Galloway is due back in court July 6 for a probable cause conference on the charges stemming from the assault.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/n...on-interest-stislicki-case-custody/435629001/

Galloway appeared in court Wednesday morning wearing a white T-shirt and dark pants. He was remanded to jail on a $700,000 bond and is scheduled to return to court July 5 for a probable cause hearing.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2017/06/man_suspected_in_attempted_rap.html

If July 6th is the preliminary examination ( = evidentiary hearing, etc), it will be held at the District level in Michigan, so the 16th District Court in Livonia. There will be some basic evidence presented -- not nearly everything against FG, but some select testimony and evidence. The judge presiding will then make a ruling on whether there is enough to hold FG over for trial. If there is enough evidence to satisfy the judge, FG will then be 'bound over for trial' and the case is moved to the Circuit Court. Then there will be a new judge assigned, a new arraignment, and I think a new discussion of bond.

I believe this process was created so that individuals would not be accused of a crime with little foundation and held indefinitely. There is a maximum number of days that an accused can be held between arraignment and the preliminary examination, again to avoid violating an accused's civil rights.

Someone else may come along and speak to this better, but this is based (unfortunately) on a relative's recent experience with felony charges in Michigan courts. Oops, yes, this is the process for felony charges, which FG is facing.

If July 6th is the preliminary examination ( = evidentiary hearing, etc), it will be held at the District level in Michigan, so the 16th District Court in Livonia. There will be some basic evidence presented -- not nearly everything against FG, but some select testimony and evidence. The judge presiding will then make a ruling on whether there is enough to hold FG over for trial. If there is enough evidence to satisfy the judge, FG will then be 'bound over for trial' and the case is moved to the Circuit Court. Then there will be a new judge assigned, a new arraignment, and I think a new discussion of bond.

I believe this process was created so that individuals would not be accused of a crime with little foundation and held indefinitely. There is a maximum number of days that an accused can be held between arraignment and the preliminary examination, again to avoid violating an accused's civil rights.

Someone else may come along and speak to this better, but this is based (unfortunately) on a relative's recent experience with felony charges in Michigan courts. Oops, yes, this is the process for felony charges, which FG is facing.
This is correct. The time frame is 14 days I believe. It is also possible to waive a right to a prelim, though, and go right to Circuit Court.

I can't find online records for the 16th district Court but the initial records of his charges were on the 3rd circuit Court site (link posted on laurieloo on 6/27-https://cmspublic.3rdcc.org/)
I can't find anything listed there anymore, though.

Yes, thank you! The accused can waive their right to a preliminary hearing or they can waive the 14 day maximum period, to give their attorney(s) time to look at the preliminary evidence. I believe it is possible that they (FG and his attorney) are accepting the court date this week with the hope that FG will be released, either for a lack of evidence or if the bond is reconsidered if/when FG is arraigned in Circuit Court. The preminary hearing is a good opportunity for the defense to get a look at the prosecutor's case.

Does anyone know why they would've removed this case from the 3rd Judicial court's online records? The 3 charges were listed as follows and now, when you search, there are no records?

Statute Level Date
1. Kidnapping 09/04/2016
2. Criminal Sexual Conduct - Assault With Intentto Commit Sexual Penetration 09/04/2016
3. Assault With Intent to Do Great Bodily Harm less Than Murder

here's the link. https://cmspublic.3rdcc.org/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=3616879

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads