GUILTY MI - Dominick Calhoun, 4, beaten to death, Argentine Twp, 11 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
bumping up for you, little one, I havent forgotten you. I wish you could play with my little boy, he would have loved you too.

10mmnit.jpg

"Tears for me ..."

RIP Baby Dominick

some good-ish news

from article here

Hayes’ forensic evaluation was completed and the report was submitted to the court, according to Judge John Conover. Hayes has been found competent to stand trial.

 Although the forensic evaluation had this finding, Hayes’ court-appointed defense attorney, James Piazza, requested to have an independent evaluation done on his client. “I need my client to be competent,” said Piazza. He believes there is mental illness in Hayes’ background.

 Prosecutor Marcie Mabry told the judge she was prepared to take the next step in this case and believed the independent evaluation could be done at any time. “Don’t delay the preliminary,” she said. “The professional says he’s competent.”

 The judge pointed out that a provision gives the court discretion in ordering an independent evaluation, in exceptional cases only. “What evidence is there that this report from Dr. Brewer is not something we should rely on?” asked Conover.

 After conferring with Mabry and Piazza, the judge said they would begin motions at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 21. At that time, if testimony was provided by Hayes’ forensic evaluator, Conover would decide whether to grant an independent evaluation. A preliminary exam was tentatively scheduled to begin immediately thereafter.

WHOA. This hits very very close to home for me. I know Piazza personally - have for all my life. He is a good man, and I firmly believe that if he thinks his client may have a mental issue, he truly thinks that and it's not a tactic to stall or delay the trial or anything like that. IMO, obviously.

WHOA. This hits very very close to home for me. I know Piazza personally - have for all my life. He is a good man, and I firmly believe that if he thinks his client may have a mental issue, he truly thinks that and it's not a tactic to stall or delay the trial or anything like that. IMO, obviously.

it's certainly true. no one without a serious problem tortures a baby to death. however whether whatever that something is is the same as incompetant, rarely.

this is not the same as an insanity defense or what have you, competence to stand trial just means: can the defendant understand wth is going on?

in most cases regardless of metal abberation the answer is yes. I cant type it all again cause it is too personal but if you check my post in the EJ incompetance thread, I explain what I know personally of the issue. granted not for a murder change and not in the same county, but in the same state is what my knowledge is.

Boy's fatal beating sent doctors into counseling

from article here

The injuries to a 4-year-old Argentine Township boy who was beaten to death were so severe and “unusual” that seasoned medical staff treating him sought counseling, a doctor testified Monday.

Dr. Brian Nolan, director of pediatrics at Hurley Medical Center in Flint, testified Monday in Genesee County’s 67th District Court that Dominick Calhoun was beaten and bruised on his head, back, buttocks, chest, abdomen and legs. The boy’s left hand was burned through the skin and his head was beaten so severely that his “brain was coming out of his skull,” the doctor said.

“What was unusual about the exam is the extent of the injuries to the genitalia,” Nolan said, noting that doctors and nurses sought counseling after treating the boy. “They were so swollen and bruised, and I’ve never seen those injuries in a child.”

Dominick’s brother to testify Monday

from article here

Believing Baker would not be a credible witness, prosecutors are hopeful that Dominick’s 8-year-old, half brother, Tyler Baker, will be able to tell what happened in that Argentine Township apartment. Tyler was living at the apartment with Dominick, Baker and Hayes.

  During a court hearing this past week, assistant prosecuting attorney Marcie Mabry and Hayes’ court-appointed defense attorney James Piazza argued about how Tyler could testify, without causing him any more emotional distress, while at the same time protecting Hayes’ Constitutional rights to confront his witnesses.

 Mabry urged the judge to consider her option, which would allow Tyler to testify in the open courtroom, while Hayes was detained in a nearby room. She feared that seeing Hayes would cause too much emotional damage to Tyler. She said the prosecutor’s office is preparing additional child abuse charges against Hayes after bruises were found on Tyler, when he was removed from the apartment.

Dear God, that poor baby. If it was so bad that it sent seasoned medical professionals into counselling, it had to be absolutely horrifying. How could this be allowed to happen? I'm so very glad the mother has been charged as well. These people need to never see sunlight again. My heart hurts for this poor little boy. Unfortunately, the monsters lurking under his bed actually lived in his house.

Brandon Hayes to be arraigned on 10 counts in beating death of Dominick Calhoun

from article here

On Monday, Judge John L. Conover added a second first-degree child abuse charge to the counts Hayes faces that include first-degree murder and torture. The additional charge stemmed from allegedly beating Dominick’s 8-year-old brother.

Dominick’s brother took the stand Monday, telling the court Hayes hated the boys and that he saw Hayes smack Dominick, kick him and slam his head against the wall over the course of three to five days.

He testified Hayes said “I own you, I own you, I own you” during the abuse.

Dominick’s brother testified away from Hayes, who watched from a neighboring courtroom.

Brandon Hayes cries during father's testimony in Dominick Calhoun beating death hearing (forgive me for a marked lack of sympathy)

from article here

Arnold Hayes told the court he saw a burn on Dominick's hand when he took the four to the store, but Baker said she wouldn't take him for medical treatment for fear she'd be blamed for the injury.

He said he was told another child burned Dominick with a hot stick from a fire pit near their apartment.

Brandon Hayes cried as he watched his father on the stand. He also protested when prosecutors suggested he hurt children in the past.

The preliminary hearing for Hayes, where the judge will determine whether to send the case to trial, is expected to continue through this afternoon.

Boy: Murder suspect hated him, brother

from article here

bilde

UPDATED AT 9:45 a.m.: Corrine Baker was found competent to stand trial in Flint's 67th District Court Tuesday morning. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 19.

Baker, the mother of Dominick Calhoun and Tyler Baker, charged with second-degree murder and second-degree child abuse, for not doing enough to protect her son.

Editor's note: The following article contains graphic descriptions of violence and abuse that many readers are likely to find disturbing. Reader discretion is advised.

the editor's note is true - if you're gonna sit here sobbing like I am now you might want to bypass that last one.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/video?id=7525837&pid=7525640

video news report: shows the monster and has some audio of the child's testimony.

eta article that goes with it I guess

A Genesee County detective read a portion of this letter Hayes wrote. It's dated one day after Calhoun was taken off of life support.

"Dear judge: I am so sorry for what I have (done) to Dominick and Corrine. My heart hurts so bad for them and for the family," said David Dwyre.

"I will never do anything like this and never had the intentions of doing what I have done. I am sorry. Judge, I am a drug addict."

Throughout his hearing, Hayes showed no emotion except for when his father took the stand.

Hayes was crying while his father was talking.

sorry for all the double posting, I just feel like this one is my boy....

RIP dominick

OMG! Words can not begin to express the pain this has caused me, it truly breaks my heart! Poor, poor baby - what a sad life to live and pain to endure; all at the hands of evilness.
(Mental Illness, Drugs, drug addition and whatever else one wants to lay blame had nothing to do with it ... pure evilness! JMO.)

"Dear judge: I am so sorry for what I have (done) to Dominick and Corrine..."

He forgot to add this to his note: "because I M an evil , I do not deserve to live in a civilized society!" (JMO)

Jury to decide if Hayes spends rest of life in prison

from article

Based on testimony and evidence submitted to the court during his preliminary exam, Genesee County District Court Judge John L. Conover bound Brandon Hayes’ case over to circuit court for a jury trial.

 A circuit court arraignment was scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on July 19.

  Hayes, 24, is facing life in prison for allegedly torturing and beating 4-year-old Dominick Calhoun to death in April at their apartment in Argentine Township. Hayes shared the apartment with his girlfriend Corrine Baker and her two sons, Dominick Calhoun and Dominick’s 8-year-old half-brother Tyler Baker.

 Corrine Baker, 25, is also facing felony charges of second-degree murder and second-degree child abuse for her alleged part in Dominick’s death. She and Hayes remain lodged at the Genesee County Jail, pending the outcome of their cases.

quite a bit more at link

I haven't seen it anywhere, but I'm assuming they are in protective custody. I'm roughly three blocks from GenCo Jail, and I can't see how either the mother or Hayes would be alive if they were in general population. I know people here that are even willing to be arrested on the chance they get put in the same area with Baker or Hayes. The public outcry on Dominicks behalf and the amount of support between members of the community is absolutely astounding.
I think that no one thought this could happen in Argentine...that illusion has been shattered, and the community has responded by vowing to be more vigilant and not let it happen again. I'm proud that they haven't met this tragedy by looking away and letting Dominick fade from memory.

it's certainly true. no one without a serious problem tortures a baby to death. however whether whatever that something is is the same as incompetant, rarely.

this is not the same as an insanity defense or what have you, competence to stand trial just means: can the defendant understand wth is going on?

in most cases regardless of metal abberation the answer is yes. I cant type it all again cause it is too personal but if you check my post in the EJ incompetance thread, I explain what I know personally of the issue. granted not for a murder change and not in the same county, but in the same state is what my knowledge is.

I'm probably being very dense, but what is the EJ Incompetence thread?

I'm probably being very dense, but what is the EJ Incompetence thread?

Elizabeth Johnson - Gabriel Johnson's mother. thread is closed now still in his forum in the missing section.

ETA I am from Michigan originally.

Found the attached on the Prosecutor's website (link on bottom)

Genesee County Prosecutor's Office - David Leyton, Prosecutor

CORRINE BAKER FOUND COMPETENT TO STAND TRIAL IN 4-YEAR-OLD SON'S BEATING DEATH

June 29, 2010
Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — District Court Judge John L. Conover this morning found Corrine Baker competent to stand trial.
He set a preliminary examination for July 19, 10 a.m.
Conover noted that the report on Baker's mental competency was extensive and concluded that she has sufficient capacities to stand trial.
Baker, 25, is facing second-degree murder and child abuse charges in the death of her 4-year-old son Dominick Calhoun. She was ordered to undergo a competency exam in April.

Dominick was found severely beaten in their Argentine Township apartment on April 11 and died the following day after he was removed from life support.

Baker's boyfriend, Brandon Hayes, 24, is accused of beating Dominick about the head, kicking him in the groin and poking him in the eyes repeatedly for days after the boy wet himself and soiled the couch. He was bound over to Genesee Circuit Court on Monday for trial on 10 counts.
Conover yesterday added a second first-degree child abuse charge to the counts Hayes faces, which include first-degree murder and torture. The additional charge stemmed from allegedly beating Dominick’s 8-year-old brother, who testified Monday.
BRANDON HAYES TO STAND TRIAL IN BEATING DEATH OF 4-YEAR-OLD DOMINICK CALHOUN
June 28, 2010
Laura Angus | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Brandon Hayes, 24, was bound over to Genesee Circuit Court for trial on 10 counts stemming from the beating death of Dominick Calhoun. Dominick, 4, was found severely beaten in the Argentine Township apartment he shared with his mother, brother and Hayes. He died the following day after he was removed from life support. Hayes is accused of beating Dominick over several days because he was angry about money and mad that the boy wet himself and soiled the couch. Judge John L. Conover bound Hayes over on 10 counts in the case including first-degree murder, first-degree child abuse and torture. Prosecutors today added a second child abuse charge stemming from alleged beating of Dominick's 8-year-old brother.
The Circuit Court arraignment is scheduled for July 19.
http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/prosecutors/News- Corrine Baker Found Competent to Stand Trial.htm

NOTE: BRANDON HAS SEVERAL RAP SHEETS/CHARGES IN THIS COUNTY
(IDK about any other counties)

Name Ticket # Case # Date of Birth Court
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA FRE FYO1000318 12/13/1985 Central
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA FRE FYO1000319 12/13/1985 Central
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0857286A OMD0400096 12/13/1985 Fenton
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0857286B 12/13/1985 Fenton
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0891741A OMD0500171 12/13/1985 Fenton
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0930405A OME0500356 12/13/1985 Grand Blanc
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0930405B OTE0500593 12/13/1985 Grand Blanc
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0930405C 12/13/1985 Grand Blanc
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE 0930406A 12/13/1985 Grand Blanc
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE FYO0401145 12/13/1985 Central
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE FYO0500613 12/13/1985 Central
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE OMD0500172 12/13/1985 Fenton
HAYES, BRANDON JOSHUA-FRE SMD0400169 12/13/1985 Central
http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/districtcourt/recordschk.htm
(You can also search the Mama, she aint no saint either!)

nope, this is the only one. I check the facebook page periodically to bump this thread when needs be.

He doesnt need a psych eval. he needs a couple weeks in gen pop. MOO of course.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back