GUILTY MI - Dominick Calhoun, 4, beaten to death, Argentine Twp, 11 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am going to move this thread to Awaiting Trials. I'll leave a redirect for 2 weeks.

Thanks Guys and here is praying that the jury in CB's case delivers justice for sweet Dominick.

Salem

Letters to the judge folks! ... I can not imagine the pain and suffering this poor child endured at the hands of these two ... it haunts me, it breaks my heart, it makes me sick to my stomach and I am :furious:

"snipped"
On Monday, (9-20-2010) Genesee County Circuit Court Judge Richard B. Yuille granted a motion by Brandon Hayes’ court-appointed attorney James Piazza for an independent psychological evaluation for competency and criminal responsibility.  Piazza said he believes the findings of the forensic center that conducted the initial psychological evaluation were wrong. “He’s entitled to an independent evaluation,” Piazza said. The independent evaluation will be conducted at an undisclosed private doctor’s office.

During the district court preliminary hearing in June, Genesee County District Judge John Conover found him competent to stand trial after accepting a forensic evaluation. Conover determined that the prosecution provided enough evidence against Hayes and bound the case over to circuit court for a jury trial.

http://www.tctimes.com/articles/2010/09/23/news/doc4c9a08fa58d7c552538484.txt

10/18/10 HEARING - COURT CASE: 10-027226-FC - JUDGE: YUILLE

(EVALUATION FOR COMPETENCY AND CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY PRELIMINARY EXAM returned to the court: given to Atty Piazza _2 vols_ on 9-23-10).

***** MOTION HEARING ***** (PROCEEDING DIGITALLY RECORDED)

D.A. J PIAZZA AND DEFT. REQUEST FOR EVIDENTIARY HEARING.
GRANTED

MOTION TO SEVER COUNTS FOR SEPARATE TRAIL (S/B TRIAL) FOR DRUG CHARGES.
PEOPLE OPPOSE. COURT TO READ TRANSCRIPT AS TO THIS MOTION BEFORE MAKING DECISION.

MOTION FOR TRANSCRIPTS ON OTHER CO DEFENDANTS CASE.
DEFT CAN NOT CHECK OUT CO DEFTS TRANSCRIPTS BUT CAN GET A COPY.

MOTION FOR CHANGE OF VENUE. MOTION FOR SEPARATE TRIALS WITH CO DEFENDANT.
COURT TO MAKE DECISIONS ON BOTH MOTION FOR CHANGE OF VENUE AND FOR SEPARATE TRIAL AS CASE PROCEEDS.

MOTION FOR DISCOVERY.
COURT TAKES MOTION UNDER ADVISEMENT PENDING REVIEW BY BOTH PEOPLE AND ATTY PIAZZA.

SET NEXT DATE FOR: 12/17/10 - 9:00 A.M.
MISCELLANEOUS HEARING - EVIDENTIARY HEARING

................ END OF DISPLAY ...............

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/cgi-bin/gweb.exe

Donations continue to come in for ‘Justice for Dominick’

(snipped)

 The Justice for Dominick fund, established in the memory of Dominick Calhoun, has raised more than $20,000, to benefit groups who help abused and neglected children.

 Rick Calhoun, Dominick’s grandfather, said the nonprofit organization, Justice for Dominick, has raised approximately $21,147 in his grandson’s memory. An additional $10,520 has been raised, which will be put toward construction costs for the Dominick Calhoun amphitheater, to be built at the playscape in downtown Linden.

In their attempt to make something positive out of an incomprehensible action, Calhoun and other supporters have been raising funds to help organizations that deal with abuse and neglect. “We’re finding our way,” said Calhoun. “Whatever we do, it’s going to be something good.” (Fund raisers are on-going.)

• Justice for Dominick has given two donations, $2,500 and $1,000, to the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for abused children of Genesee County.
  •  A donation of $2,582 went to Haven, a domestic violence and sexual assault prevention service based in Oakland County. Another donation of $1,000 went to the Child Abuse and Neglect Council of Michigan and $500 was given to Dave Powell, a minister in Linden.
  •  To help purchase a headstone for a young child who was killed in Flint, $2,000 was donated to Flint Memorial Park.
  •  Calhoun said there is still roughly $8,000 in the account, which is being saved to use toward materials for working on a house to help abused children.

 Dominick was beaten to death in April, allegedly by his mother’s boyfriend, Brandon Hayes. Dominick’s mother, Corrine Baker faces up to life in prison for allegedly not doing enough to protect her 4-year-old son. Hayes and Baker are behind bars.

http://www.tctimes.com/articles/2010/11/21/news/local/doc4ce96b00c0e90166034113.txt

http://www.livingstondaily.com/arti...date+in+accused+child+killer+s+case+adjourned

Court date in accused child killer's case adjourned

Hayes' attorney, James Piazza, is seeking to have the preliminary hearing testimony of Dominick's half brother, 8-year-old Tyler Baker, tossed out and the case remanded to District Court. Piazza argues that the District Court judge violated Hayes' constitutional rights when he ordered Hayes to watch Baker's testimony from another room.

Piazza also wants the judge to dismiss the charges of premeditated murder and child abuse.

it appears that a victim has few rights ...

Boy's beating death a stunner

A man's anger, a family's inaction and neighbors who ignored a cry for help arguably led to the death of a 4-year-old Argentine Township boy.

Communities throughout the world grieved for Dominick Calhoun, whom Genesee County police say was beaten for days at the hands of his mother's boyfriend, Brandon Joshua-Frederick Hayes, a former Livingston County resident.

They also allege Dominick's mother, Corrine Baker, acted too little too late to help her son, who was beaten the weekend of April 8 at the family's home in Pinehurst Apartments, just outside Livingston County.

When the story first came to light, Corrine Baker, who was bruised and battered, went on television to describe the beating she endured by Hayes. Days later, the prosecutor's office announced that she was also being charged in connection to her son's death.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article and photo at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20101231/NEWS01/12310306/1002/rss01

Should this be moved from "Awaiting Trial" to the "Trial" section?

Jury selection begins today for a former Tyrone Township man charged with the murder of a 4-year-old boy. 25-year old Brandon Joshua-Frederick Hayes is charged with 1st degree murder and child abuse in the April 2010 death of his former girlfriend&#8217;s son, Dominick Calhoun. Two days have been set aside for selecting a jury, with opening statements expected to begin next Tuesday in Genesee County Circuit Court. In court yesterday, Judge Richard Yuille rule on several defense motions, denying requests to move the trial to a different venue, exclude testimony Hayes made to police after his arrest, prevent testimony from Dominick&#8217;s older brother and to sever the drug charges against Hayes from those directly related to the death of Calhoun.

http://whmi.com/news/article/12997

oh no I am so behind in this case, does anyone know anything about whether he's been to trial yet?

Emotional reaction to sentencing in grandmother murder

EL CAJON (CNS/CBS8) - A man convicted of the financially motivated robbery and strangulation death of his 73-year-old grandmother in her Alpine mobile home was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Brandon Hayes, 29, was convicted in August of first-degree murder, and jurors found true the special circumstance allegations of murder committed in the course of a robbery and burglary in the May 16, 2009, death of Eunice Cothron.

........... snip ...................
Hayes' accomplice, 22-year-old Jeffrey Carl Reed, was convicted of the same charges and though he was scheduled to be sentenced immediately after Hayes, his attorney asked for his sentencing to be postponed.

................... snip ...................
Despite the plea, the judge granted Reed's attorney a two week postponement. Reed is now scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 1. Reed also faces life in prison without parole.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< full article at link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15726992/emotional-reaction-to-sentencing-in-grandmother-murder

Emotional reaction to sentencing in grandmother murder

EL CAJON (CNS/CBS8) - A man convicted of the financially motivated robbery and strangulation death of his 73-year-old grandmother in her Alpine mobile home was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Brandon Hayes, 29, was convicted in August of first-degree murder, and jurors found true the special circumstance allegations of murder committed in the course of a robbery and burglary in the May 16, 2009, death of Eunice Cothron.

........... snip ...................
Hayes' accomplice, 22-year-old Jeffrey Carl Reed, was convicted of the same charges and though he was scheduled to be sentenced immediately after Hayes, his attorney asked for his sentencing to be postponed.

................... snip ...................
Despite the plea, the judge granted Reed's attorney a two week postponement. Reed is now scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 1. Reed also faces life in prison without parole.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< full article at link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15726992/emotional-reaction-to-sentencing-in-grandmother-murder

I think this is a different brandon hayes??

I hope this jerk get the DP. I remember reading about this case on another true crime site.

such a sad case, beating and killing a defenseless little boy because he wet himself.

I hope this jerk get the DP. I remember reading about this case on another true crime site.

such a sad case, beating and killing a defenseless little boy because he wet himself.

No DP in Michigan however I am not against him being tortured daily for the rest of his life in prison.

This is a terrible case. I've been following it through http://www.facebook.com/DominicksLaw?sk=wall

Death is too good for Brandon Hayes.:furious::banghead:

dominick-calhoun-02jpg-f9ae5f1e079d8429_large.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member