Found Deceased MI - Douglas Calhoun, 39, Detroit, 1 June 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New to this thread. Reminds me of a dateline or 48 hours I watched where a young guy was basically carjacked and beat behind a quizznos. I thought it was also in Detroit but could be wrong. He was ultimately found deceased in an abandoned home. I really think I remember this being in Detroit and how local Le were trying to rid the city of the broke down area and abandoned homes. This my opinion because the case I'm thinking of may not have been Detroit. Though I know there are abandoned homes in Det.

I remember this story well. Yes, it did take place in Detroit and his name was Matt. Such a sweet guy who decided to surprise his sick girlfriend with lunch from Quiznos to make her feel better. I can still remember his poor mom saying "My poor Matt" after finding out he had randomly been attacked, beaten, thrown in the trunk and dumped in an abandoned house. So heartbreaking.

ETA I think it was a Dateline episode.

I remember this story well. Yes, it did take place in Detroit and his name was Matt. Such a sweet guy who decided to surprise his sick girlfriend with lunch from Quiznos to make her feel better. I can still remember his poor mom saying "My poor Matt" after finding out he had randomly been attacked, beaten, thrown in the trunk and dumped in an abandoned house. So heartbreaking.

ETA I think it was a Dateline episode.

Yes! That's exactly what I watched. I really hope the cops are checking these abandoned homes! I wish the city would go in and tear down these dilapidated homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made a map.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16aVJgsTbMhY3d8fkwoLH5nZcwbY&usp=sharing

A few thing this brought to mind:

1. His friend AJ, who reported talking to him at 3:30am, lives two doors down from him
2. The car was found on a vacant block surrounded by abandoned houses. See the notes for some additional details. If these are accurate, it makes it possible he was actually never in his driveway.
3. There is no indication LE has searched Brightmoor, or the houses, for Doug.
4. The recent body could be him, though after all this time I feel it is more likely he is concealed.
Thanks for the info and the map.

The 2 doors down is supposely the friend he called saying he was home? Hmmm...

Why would he call his friend AJ at 3:30 in the morning to say he was "home and going inside now", if AJ only lives 2 houses away? AJ could have looked out the window and known Doug was at home. I just don't like this whole story. Way too convenient.

I text my friends and they text me when we arrive safely. But we're girls. Not that guys wouldn't. I get that it's Detroit and Doug probably likes to be considerate of his friends feelings. But I don't buy it.

My guess is someone knew police would get Doug's phone records, see a call made at 3:30 am and start asking questions. So a story was born. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

I think it's really bothering me that he called AJ, instead of texting. He took the time to call him at 3:30 in the morning just to say he was home and going inside???

I'm a broken record, I know. And I don't mean to hijack the entire thread with the myriad of things that stink to me about this case.

So I'll call this post bumping :bump: for Doug.

Why would he call his friend AJ at 3:30 in the morning to say he was "home and going inside now", if AJ only lives 2 houses away? AJ could have looked out the window and known Doug was at home. I just don't like this whole story. Way too convenient.

I text my friends and they text me when we arrive safely. But we're girls. Not that guys wouldn't. I get that it's Detroit and Doug probably likes to be considerate of his friends feelings. But I don't buy it.
Ikr. If it shows,he never made it inside his home then that would make it appear something happened between hanging up and going inside. What are the odds? I mean it could happen but this is a big guy. Imho

Ikr. If it shows,he never made it inside his home then that would make it appear something happened between hanging up and going inside. What are the odds? I mean it could happen but this is a big guy. Imho

Either he called AJ about something else, or Doug's phone was used by someone else to make it appear that he called AJ and that "Doug was fine at 3:30 am so I couldn't possibly be involved." Solve this one, Detroit.

Either he called AJ about something else, or Doug's phone was used by someone else to make it appear that he called AJ and that "Doug was fine at 3:30 am so I couldn't possibly be involved." Solve this one, Detroit.
Didn't think about that. Sad.

I think it's really bothering me that he called AJ, instead of texting. He took the time to call him at 3:30 in the morning just to say he was home and going inside???

I'm a broken record, I know. And I don't mean to hijack the entire thread with the myriad of things that stink to me about this case.

So I'll call this post bumping :bump: for Doug.
I seldom send text messages; I'm much more likely to make a phone call, regardless of the circumstances. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever called a friend to say that I got home.

I'd call too, I might even say I was going in the house, being silly or tipsy or just chatty.

So many times in WS threads we put our subjective spin on everything. We think that no one would do that (whatever THAT is) because WE would not do that. Or we would not do it THAT WAY. Sometimes it helps me to step back and say, "it's not right or wrong, it's just different" and remember that there are so many ways to do so many things. Rather than fitting the limited details into what I know and expect, I have to let the information tell the story rather than making up the story and fitting in the pieces.

I'm just feeling helpless and rambling. Where are you, Chef Doug?

And I would never call anyone at 3:30 am unless it was an emergency. Yes, that is my subjective spin, I filter everything through my own rationale, experience, common sense, and opinion ... but most of all, intuition and gut instinct.

And I would never call anyone at 3:30 am unless it was an emergency. Yes, that is my subjective spin, I filter everything through my own rationale, experience, common sense, and opinion ... but most of all, intuition and gut instinct.

exactly. And yours and mine (rationale, experience, common sense, opinion, instinct, intuition) are vastly different and we have no idea where Chef Doug's experiences etc. fell. Could be closer to yours or closer to mine, or somewhere in between or somewhere beyond. So unless we knew him, it is so hard to suppose we would know what he would do and whether it was odd or not.

I do wish there was more coverage for this young marine.

I'm a Michigan girl born and bred. SO much crime in the Detroit area goes unsolved. Please show them where you are and who did this to you, Doug.

Thoughts and prayers for Doug and his family. Can't imagine what they are going through.

As a chef who worked on some catering jobs, he may work late hours and his friends/co workers might too, so although calling someone at 3 am, is a little odd, that might be the time they have to chat and chill a little, imo. speculation.

Maybe LE" hold back " information might be that Doug had a problem earlier in the evening when out drinking, and his buddy/ neighbour was aware of that and told Doug to phone when he got home to be sure he was okay.

speculation, imo.

I don't have side eye on the
Friend for whatever reason. I always text and/or call my friends or my mom when I make it home safe. Yes the friend living only a few doors down is iffy but I still think this was random. Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug had been at the gentleman's club with AJ that evening and was intoxicated. We can reasonably assume at this point that Doug left before AJ, and told him to call when he got home safe because they were both aware he was driving a couple miles drunk on a major road to get from the club to his neighborhood. It is worth noting that Doug's sister does not appear to suspect AJ whatsoever, so it gives me pause. I'd like to know more about the get-together that night and whether the criminal history of anyone attending should be cause for worry.

From the outside looking in, it is just as likely he was carjacked or burgled, his body dumped elsewhere (like the river or an abandoned house nearby) then his car dumped in Brightmoor where it was stripped, and his credit cards used by the perps several times later. I am curious now when the credit card activity stopped, if they have been able to get video from those transactions, why that video hasn't been released (guessing it shows someone they have identified).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elle C
Back