MI - Former US Gymnastics Doctor Larry Nassar Charged With CSA *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nasser says he did not authorize his attorney’s statements to press:
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...ze-his-attorneys-comments-victims/1088284001/

In an interview with WWJ Newsradio 950, attorney Shannon Smith said a "huge part" of her doesn't believe that Nassar sexually abused the more than 250 women and girls who have now come forward to say that he did.

"There were girls who had perfectly normal lives that never questioned the medical treatment done by Larry Nassar — and there is a legitimate medical treatment that involves touching sensitive areas and even penetrations," Smith said. "Some of those girls, to be quite frank, they didn’t even know what to think because they never felt victimized. He was never inappropriate to them. And because of everything they’ve seen, they just feel like they must have been victimized. And I think that’s really unfortunate."

Nassar, through his attorney Matt Newburg, released a statement on Thursday, saying he did not know Smith was going to make those statements and did not authorize her to do so.
"As I have repeatedly said under oath, the plea agreements are accurate and I have, through my lawyers, asked that the court follow them. I have heard each and every impact statement made by the victims in my cases," Nassar said in the statement

"Their words have been meaningful, they have pierced my soul and I will carry their words with me for the rest of my life. I am sorry about this distraction at a time when the attention should be on the statements of these victims."
Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to come forward and publicly say Nassar abused her, addressed Smith's comments in a statement released by her attorneys.
Smith's questioning of Denhollander was the most contentious of Nassar's three preliminary hearings. [see article for Rachel’s comments re attorney statement]

It was Smith who questioned Denhollander, one of the charged victims in the Ingham County case, during Nassar's preliminary hearing last year. Smith questioned Denhollander about her motives for reporting Nassar to police and whether her motivation for money through her lawsuit against MSU played a role.

The lawyer would have done her client better service by keeping her thoughts to herself.... or better yet, recognizing her client’s own guilt.

JMO
Wow Just saw the news about the Dad charging the convicted.

I have mixed emotions about it.
I cant say I wouldnt want to do the exact same thing so I can hardly blame him. I hope the father doesnt get charges now though.

Seeing his daughters reaction was the hard part for me. She became very upset.

Its just a sad and terrible case. The convicted will be put away and like the judge was trying to explain I suppose we need to let that be the end all be all.

Judge Refuses to Punish Father Who Tried to Attack Larry Nassar

“For the record you need to know that I could give you a jail sentence,” Cunningham said, adding that she could also fine him up to $7,500.

Nevertheless, she said, “I don’t want to do that,” telling him that she would not punish him at all, given the circumstances.

Margrave had apparently heard details of his daughters’ accounts for the first time in the courtroom and he was extremely angry.

Judge Cunningham issued a stern condemnation of Margrave’s actions.

“But you have to understand that this is a courtroom and this is where we carry out and enforce the rules of law,” she said. “We cannot and I cannot tolerate or condone vigilanteism.”

Margrave expressed remorse for his actions.

“I’d like to apologize to everyone in the courtroom,” he said.

https://lawandcrime.com/larry-nassa...nish-father-who-tried-to-attack-larry-nassar/

Oiy. I hate to see that stuff. While we all certainly empathize with that father of those three girls, that was not helpful. This judge has lost control and needs to wrap this up before any further damage occurs. As soon as that father started the swear words and asking to get time alone with the defendant, the Judge should have ended it. I see Judges frequently shut down victim statements. I wasn't happy with her statements during the sentencing either. It just gives a defendant options on appeal. Furthermore, his attorney making those statements is idiotic as well. Professionalism has gone out the window on this. Of course a failure of professionalism is what led to the assaults in the first place and the failure to follow up on complaints a long long time ago.

Oiy. I hate to see that stuff. While we all certainly empathize with that father of those three girls, that was not helpful. This judge has lost control and needs to wrap this up before any further damage occurs. As soon as that father started the swear words and asking to get time alone with the defendant, the Judge should have ended it. I see Judges frequently shut down victim statements. I wasn't happy with her statements during the sentencing either. It just gives a defendant options on appeal. Furthermore, his attorney making those statements is idiotic as well. Professionalism has gone out the window on this. Of course a failure of professionalism is what led to the assaults in the first place and the failure to follow up on complaints a long long time ago.

Two different judges and I agree their comments are unprofessional

Judge Refuses to Punish Father Who Tried to Attack Larry Nassar

“For the record you need to know that I could give you a jail sentence,” Cunningham said, adding that she could also fine him up to $7,500.

Nevertheless, she said, “I don’t want to do that,” telling him that she would not punish him at all, given the circumstances.

Margrave had apparently heard details of his daughters’ accounts for the first time in the courtroom and he was extremely angry.

Judge Cunningham issued a stern condemnation of Margrave’s actions.

“But you have to understand that this is a courtroom and this is where we carry out and enforce the rules of law,” she said. “We cannot and I cannot tolerate or condone vigilanteism.”

Margrave expressed remorse for his actions.

“I’d like to apologize to everyone in the courtroom,” he said.

https://lawandcrime.com/larry-nassa...nish-father-who-tried-to-attack-larry-nassar/

Im happy to hear the judge is not pursuing any charges against him.

Is sentencing going to be today? We just returned from an afternoon movie (Murder on the Orient Express) and have dinner reservations ashore at 6:00PM. I could watch sentencing via live stream.

Next steps: will review over the weekend, court will start 9 am Monday. Prosecution and defense statements, defendant statement if he chooses. Judge will prepare to sentence immediatey after.

Apologize if this has been posted. But sad state of affairs when the convicted believes the victims and his attorney does not. Sigh.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ney-doesn-t-believe-all-accusers-were-n843696

Attorney Shannon Smith is a piece of work. She told ESPN: "There was no way there could have been so much. Larry would have to have been doing this all day, every day."

I guess math isn't her strong suit. Nassar had been sexually abusing patients for at least 20 years. So, even if he was doing it only once a month, the total number of victims would be 240. Of course, there's little doubt that Nassar was doing this much more than once a month!

This is an interesting read and mentions the Nassar case.
How Childhood Trauma Can Affect Your Long-Term Healthhttps://nyti.ms/2FCxNs6

Attorney Shannon Smith is a piece of work. She told ESPN: "There was no way there could have been so much. Larry would have to have been doing this all day, every day."

I guess math isn't her strong suit. Nassar had been sexually abusing patients for at least 20 years. So, even if he was doing it only once a month, the total number of victims would be 240. Of course, there's little doubt that Nassar was doing this much more than once a month!

I've seen SS in other cases and don't like her overly-aggressive manner. I know she's good at her job, but I would never hire an attorney who cares more about her public persona than her clients' best interests. SS has left the door wide open for appeal in this case as Nassar can claim that his counsel acted inappropriately by releasing a statement that he didn't approve. :moo:

OT: At sea returning to port Everglades. Cloudy, raining, thunder in the distance. It's going to be a bumpy ride :D Will be on our way to the airport Monday morning during sentencing but will catch up as soon as we've cleared security.

I've seen SS in other cases and don't like her overly-aggressive manner. I know she's good at her job, but I would never hire an attorney who cares more about her public persona than her clients' best interests. SS has left the door wide open for appeal in this case as Nassar can claim that his counsel acted inappropriately by releasing a statement that he didn't approve. :moo:

OT: At sea returning to port Everglades. Cloudy, raining, thunder in the distance. It's going to be a bumpy ride :D Will be on our way to the airport Monday morning during sentencing but will catch up as soon as we've cleared security.

Shannon Smith is a loose cannon. Not too professional.

Although they look similar, the female attorney sitting with Larry Nassar during his CSA sentencing hearings is not Shannon Smith. Does anyone know the name of this attorney?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WavyTJackson
Back