GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
July 12, 2012 at 1:00 am
Plea deal talks next for Gentz

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

bilde

Detroit— The lawyer for a handyman who claims he was hired to kill Jane Bashara said Wednesday she hopes to move swiftly to cut a deal for her client now that he's twice been deemed competent for trial.

Joseph Gentz, who did odd jobs for Robert Bashara, has claimed the Grosse Pointe Park man offered him $2,000 and a Cadillac to murder his wife.

Gentz's attorney, Susan Reed, said she hopes to reach a plea deal in advance of her client's Aug. 13 preliminary examination on murder and conspiracy charges.

A plea agreement could clear the way for murder charges against Robert Bashara, who already is jailed on charges that he tried to hire a hit man to kill Gentz, according to some legal experts.

"Bob Bashara is in a tough spot," said Charlie Langton, a legal analyst and radio host on WXYT-AM (1270).

< SNIP >

Langton said plea bargaining for Gentz will likely include certain immunity for his testimony and a lengthy prison term.

"Gentz is not going to walk free," he said.

Prosecutors say the solicitation and homicide cases are separate, but Langton said trying the two together would strengthen their case against Bashara.

"There's a pattern of manipulation here that's conceptually easy for a jury to understand," he said.

Griem called the competency issue a "charade" being put on by Reed and prosecutors to buy time to negotiate a plea and to bolster Gentz's credibility and believability.

But Griem said the Bashara defense will be ready.

"When the bell rings and we've got to climb into the ring, we're going to climb in, play by the rules and present our case," he said.

"When all is said and done if the jury looks just at the evidence and the lack of evidence &#8230; Bob Bashara is going to walk out of the courtroom with me."

---------

Read more at the source from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120712/METRO/207120402#ixzz20OtUh55D

Gentz is competent, evaluation finds

July 12, 2012

< SNIP >

David Griem, Bashara's attorney, said the hearing Wednesday was part of "a slow-motion charade" to build a case against Bashara, who has been charged with soliciting someone to have Gentz killed.

< SNIP >

Griem said the state and private evaluations of Gentz are an effort to enhance his credibility and believability if he takes the stand. It also has been a stalling tactic, Griem said.

"They needed time to negotiate for his testimony," Griem said. The prosecution has to make a good enough deal to get Gentz's cooperation, but so good "that it will look like the proverbial slap on the wrist," he said.

< SNIP >

---------

More at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20120712/NEWS01/207120500/Gentz-is-competent-evaluation-finds

OMG! Does Griem ever keep his mouth in check? Have you ever heard any other attorney make statements to the media like this? Wonder if bb is going to have to sell his Real Estate now to pay for his Defense? His $24,000 might not be enough, IF he really had that stashed.

I am busy for a Week (.... well, 5 1/2 days now, actually) ... so will hardly be posting anything those few more days ... if fresh news occur, you guys pick up the slack :)

I am busy for a Week (.... well, 5 1/2 days now, actually) ... so will hardly be posting anything those few more days ... if fresh news occur, you guys pick up the slack :)

Will do my best. Take care and thanks for all you have done here :seeya:

Nooooo Your like our daily news feed...

Is it hunting season up there?

Surely you can keep us posted!

Pretty please!:cupcake:

I have been checking Detroit Papers and no news in the case to date. Will post if i see anything :seeya:

Channel 4 WDIV Detroit is reporting today that neither of Bob's children is supporting him since his arrest, nor is his sister, either. Go to their website for the story. Also reported is that Jane's family and Bob's family are both working together on behalf of the two children.

Channel 4 WDIV in Detroit reports today that David Griem has filed a motion to withdraw as counsel to Bob Bashara :dj:

David Griem has requested he no longer represent Bob Bashara

Emergency motion filed; ruling could come Thursday on David Griem's request to drop Bob Bashara as client

Published On: Jul 18 2012 02:42:12 PM EDT Updated On: Jul 18 2012 03:04:08 PM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ara/-/1719314/15592306/-/tmal6uz/-/index.html

July 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Bashara's attorney asks to quit
By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Detroit — The attorney for Robert Bashara filed an emergency motion Wednesday afternoon seeking to stop representing him.

David Griem filed the motion in 36th District Court, and an emergency hearing is scheduled at 8:30 a.m. Thursday before Chief Judge Kenneth King...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120718/METRO/207180420#ixzz210UVPDWm

Well, well, well. I wonder if Smarty-Pants BB isn't taking Griem's advice?

I followed this case so close on The Hinky Meter before Val shut down and then I just lost track of it. I'm so happy to see that BB has been charged with something (need to read back more and see if he is incarcerated, crossing fingers). I hope he is soon charged with his wife's murder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channel 4 WDIV Detroit is reporting today that neither of Bob's children is supporting him since his arrest, nor is his sister, either. Go to their website for the story. Also reported is that Jane's family and Bob's family are both working together on behalf of the two children.
Thanks ...

Still busy ... but the VIDEO on this info (and a bit more) is HERE: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-Bob/-/1719418/15566172/-/n6ow4p/-/index.html

..... hmm... So Griem wants to hit the road now... surprise surprise :)
..... the bill is in the mail? :D

Financial secrets hidden---I wonder what they found in the house after he went to jail.

I'll have to get up early in case the hearing is televised.

Video stopped on me. I wonder if Mummy is still supporting bob :banghead:

For our local posters, Fox 2 News already has Al Allen posted outside the courthouse and he's saying 9:00 a.m.

Hearing hasn't started as of 9:17 a.m. Supposedly starting "shortly".

Financial secrets hidden---I wonder what they found in the house after he went to jail.

I'll have to get up early in case the hearing is televised.

Video stopped on me. I wonder if Mummy is still supporting bob :banghead:

I wondered that too. Wonder if she has POA yet to handle his financial dealings?

Going to be interesting if the Judge orders G to stay on the case after he presents why he wants off of it. If that happens, will bb cry wolf and say he is unfairly represented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop