GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well .. Some had to count .. :D

.. as i heard minimum 7 years .. but then saw in article minimum 6 years

80 months - half year roughly = 74 months roughly vs 72 months (6 years x 12) :D

-----

Somewhere around 6 years and 2 months

6.66 - 20 yrs

Devil in those numbers Bashara

But when will 6 y. 2 m. apply? .. if he behaves good?

Or .. if he behaves good he will be eligible for early parole? (less than 6 y and 2 m. that is)

probably if behaves good then = 6 years and 2 months .. (that is why it's minimum)

... more likely it's a "moot point" anyhow.. - cuz soon he will be charged with Jane's murder, more likely ;)

Found on a michigan sentencing blog:

**The Judge will set a minimum sentence and a maximum sentence. The minimum sentence is decided by the sentence guideline range. The maximum sentence is decided by the statutory maximum for the convicted offense, or higher if a Habitual Offender notice was timely filed.

In Michigan as of the date of this blog, typically a Defendant has to serve the minimum sentence before he or she can be paroled. Whether or not parole is actually granted after serving the minimum sentence is up to the Michigan parole board. The minimum sentence imposed by the Judge cannot exceed 2/3s of the maximum sentence.

Assuming this is true, and it sounds right, he will be in there for 80 months (minus 168 days) MINIMUM .. then up for parole however often that happens in Michigan..

imo

Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years

Posted: Dec 10, 2012 8:53 AM CST Updated: Dec 10, 2012 9:12 AM CST

By Dennis Kraniak, myFOXDetroit.com

A Detroit-area man has been sentenced to a minimum of nearly seven years (around 6 years and 2 months NET (re: less credit for time served)) in prison for trying to hire a hit man to kill a suspect in his wife's slaying.

Robert Bashara of Grosse Pointe Park says he's truly sorry for his actions. Wayne County Judge Bruce Morrow sentenced him Monday to a minimum of 80 months in prison and a maximum of 20 years. The state parole board will determine when to release him.

Bashara admits he tried to arrange the killing of his handyman, Joe Gentz, who is charged with strangling Jane Bashara.

Jane Bashara was killed in her garage last January. Robert Bashara insists he had no role in her death, but police have called him a person of interest.

More details to come from Fox 2's Amy Lange, who is in court following the story.

------

Source: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20304262/bob-bashara-setenced-to-prison-for-up-to-20-years (Video at the Source ... BB's appology)

Assuming this is true, and it sounds right, he will be in there for 80 months (minus 168 days) MINIMUM .. then up for parole however often that happens in Michigan..
...and if / when he is charged with Jane's murder and convicted ... - he will be in there MUCH LONGER :D

He's only truly sorry he got caught. I hope he never gets out.

Bashara-sentencing-reaction-jpg.jpg

-- Bashara in court at his sentencing Monday

Joe-Gentz-Bashara-sentencing-jpg.jpg

-- Joe Gentz in court

Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...led/-/1719418/17714694/-/13mhgrc/-/index.html

Bob Bashara Gets Prison Time In Murder Solicitation Case

December 10, 2012 10:37 AM

bashara-plea.jpg

DETROIT (WWJ) - Bob Bashara, a Grosse Pointe Park man called a suspect in his wife’s slaying, has been sentenced to 80 months to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to hiring a hit man to kill his former handyman, Joseph Gentz...

Gentz, meantime, is facing murder and conspiracy charges after reportedly telling police he was hired by Bashara to kill Jane Bashara, whose body was found in her Mercedes-Benz SUV parked in an alley at a Detroit alley on Jan. 25.

WWJ Legal Analyst and Talkradio 1270 host Charlie Langton predicts that Bob Bashara will be back in court when Gentz goes to trial in that case.

“And we know this in part because Joe Gentz has been charge with the murder of Jane Bashara, but Joe Gentz is also charge with conspiracy. And conspiracy usually means at least two people,” Langton said. “Joe Gentz is one. Who could the other one be? More than likely, it’s Bob Bashara.”

Langton predicts that Bashara will likely serve the minimum 80 months before being eligible for parole.

-------

Read more: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/12/10/bob-bashara-gets-prison-time-in-murder-solicitation-case/

He's only truly sorry he got caught. I hope he never gets out.

That's exactly how I feel. There was no reason to kill Ms.Bashara. I guess he can practice his strange sex roles now in a real dungeon.

I have known people like (the way I believe) Bob is.

He has a ton of money and does alot of public good.
Then he lives on the edge of "legal" and it gets excused most of his life because of his "good".
He throws his money into parties and such and believes those people are his "friends".
Then he gets involved in something that can't be excused.
Can't understand why all his "friends" have abandoned him.
All he has to stand on is all the "good deeds" he's done.

What a sad life. imo

But when will 6 y. 2 m. apply? .. if he behaves good?

Or .. if he behaves good he will be eligible for early parole? (less than 6 y and 2 m. that is)

probably if behaves good then = 6 years and 2 months .. (that is why it's minimum)

... more likely it's a "moot point" anyhow.. - cuz soon he will be charged with Jane's murder, more likely ;)

Yes---this sentence (which I enjoyed) doesn't really matter---they will charge him with and get him found guilty on participating in his wife's death.

His statement disgusts me. Narcissist. I completely believe Joe Gentz's statement, can't you just hear all that coming out of Bob's mouth about the mafia, etc. And Joe is mentally challenged, swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

This is what happens when someone holds things and money above all else--if he wanted to live as Master Bob for the rest of his life, all he had to do was get a divorce and give Jane a fair settlement and she could have gone on with her life and found someone more deserving of her love.

Bashara booked into state prison after sentencing in attempted hit-for-hire

4:08 PM, December 10, 2012

By Gina Damron
Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Grosse Pointe Park businessman Bob Bashara was booked in the Michigan Department of Corrections reception center in Jackson today, just hours after being sentenced to serve 80 months to 20 years in prison for an attempted hit-for-hire.

bilde_CA9_GCEBS.jpg

Robert Bashara / Michigan Department of Corrections

MDOC spokesman Russ Marlan said Bashara was being processed into the prison system this afternoon, had been assigned an MDOC number and had his booking photo taken. He was sentenced this morning by Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow.

♦◊♦

Marlan said prisoners are typically at the reception and guidance center for about a month before being transferred. At the center, prisoners are given physical and mental health assessments and an evaluation that consists of 130 questions to assess their risk of recidivism and violence.

In court this morning, Bashara said he was sorry for his actions.

"I apologize to this court,” he said, reading from a statement. “I apologize to Mr. Gentz. I apologize to my family and friends."

♦◊♦

Gentz and his attorney Susan Reed were in court this morning. Reed read a victim impact statement on behalf of her client.

"I have been telling the truth from the beginning," she read from his statement. "Bob has used me and threatened me. He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed."

Gentz, who turned himself in to police days after Jane Bashara's murder, has said he carried out the killing at Bob Bashara’s behest.

♦◊♦

Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran said Bashara has denied guilt during phone calls from the jail since he pleaded guilty.

"He is still blaming someone else, not himself," Moran said, adding that Bashara's one-time position as a pillar of the community did not give him "a blank check to commit crime."

Moran said Bashara tried to hire someone to kill Gentz "not out of vengeance, but to protect himself." Reed has said her client would be willing to testify against Bashara if he is charged in that case.

Bashara said he understands he committed a crime.

"I certainly do not deny that it was difficult for me to come to the decision to plead guilty and subject myself to certain prison sentence, but I recognize that's what I had to do," he said. "Throughout my life, I have tried to help those less fortunate than myself and have worked tirelessly and I know that I have thrown all of the respect that I build in 40 years of helping people away."

Bashara occasionally paused to wipe away tears.

His mother and other family members were in court today, but declined to comment.

After being sentenced, he shook his head. His mother and other loved ones were in the courtroom.

After the October hearing in which Bashara pleaded guilty, prosecutors said he should be sentenced to between 81 and 135 months in prison. His attorney Mark Kriger said the sentence should be between 51 and 85 months, based on state sentencing guidelines.

Kriger said his client has lost support and had awards he earned from the Rotary Club taken away. He said Bashara has done good work in the community.

"This man has touched a lot of lives in this community," he said.

After the hearing, Kriger said of Bashara: "I do believe he's remorseful, yes."

-----

More at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/201212...ra-sentenced-80-240-months-plot-kill-handyman

Big bob now in the Big House :great:

Bob Bashara expresses remorse before being sentenced

By Jameson Cook
jamie.cook@macombdaily.com; @jamesoncook
Posted: 12/10/12 10:06 am
Updated: 12/10/12 01:45 pm

untitled1.png
untitled2.png

Bob Bashara fought back against prosecutors’ allegations of dishonesty in his plea by apologizing and expressing remorse in court before he was sentenced Monday to 80 months to 20 years in prison.

---- FULL VIDEO from court is included (13:26) ----

Bashara received the sentence after pleading guilty two months ago to solicitation of murder, that he hired a hit man last June to kill Joe Gentz. Gentz is charged with murder and conspiracy after telling police Bashara hired him to kill Bashara’s wife, Jane, and could testify against him.

“The prosecution’s (sentencing) memorandum states I wasn’t honest in my plea,” Bashara told Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Bruce Morrow. “Absolutely wrong. I fully admitted that I tried to solicit someone to kill Mr. Gentz. I can’t begin to tell you how ashamed I am of what I did and how absolutely regretful I am for my actions.”

Assistant Wayne County prosecutor Robert Moran moments earlier noted that Bashara in his prior statement to the court said he merely “foolishly and regrettably offered” to pay money to a Detroit furniture store owner to have Gentz killed while he was housed in a Wayne County jail facility.

“What he did not say to the court was that he did pay some money to take a life,” Moran said, adding that he also minimized his role during recorded jailhouse conversations.

“He indicates over and over again on a number of calls that he was set up, that he was trapped, that, ‘I was pressured into doing this act,’” Moran said. “Again, blaming someone else. … He says, ‘I’m going to get a state paid vacation … because this guy sucked me in and I didn’t say no.’ Now that’s not an indication of someone who accepts responsibility for their actions because he’s still blaming someone else, not himself.”

“The first step to rehabilitation is to accept responsibility for his actions. He hasn’t got there.”

Bashara retorted to the judge: “My attempts to minimize my actions to those who continue to support was a desperate attempt on my part to somehow make sure that they would not abandon me as so many people have. … I understand I must pay for what I have done. I absolutely stand before you, my family and the world and take responsibility for my actions.”

Bashara’s voice cracked when he talked about his contributions to the community and taking care of his mother during his several-minute statement. At one point he wiped his cheek.

His mother, Nancy, aunt and a cousin attended the sentencing.

Gentz, Bashara’s target for death, sat 30 feet away in circuit count and at one point rested his elbows on his knees and kept his head bowed while Bashara talked.

Bashara’s sentence was near the top of the sentencing guideline range of 51 to 85 months. Bashara’s attorney, Mark Kriger, argued for 63 months while Wayne prosecutors argued for the top.

Gentz’s attorney in the murder case, Susan Reed, said after the sentencing that her client was pleased with the outcome.

“It’s near the high end,” she said. “That’s what we wanted.”

Reed in court read a relatively short, prepared statement by Gentz: “Bob has used me and threatened me. He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed. Bob tried to make me look bad so no one would believe me. I was afraid for my life because he can get to you anywhere, even in jail. I went to police. No one believed me. I am still in fear and don’t feel safe anywhere.”

Reed said afterward that Gentz’s fear kept him from reading the statement himself.

“This is the first time he has seen Mr. Bashara since all of this happened,” she said. “He was shaking. He really shaking back there, being in the same room with him.”

Kriger, in response to a post-hearing question about his reaction, pointed out that prosecutors withdrew their request to sentence Bashara between 85 and 135 months after agreeing Bashara’s conduct was not “predatory.”

“At one point the prosecution thought he could get as much as 135 months,” Kriger said.

Gentz faces a pretrial Friday and a Jan. 7 trial date in front of Judge Vonda Evans.

Gentz, Bashara’s former handyman, told police Bashara paid him to strangle Jane Bashara, 56, a Mount Clemens native, on Jan. 24 in the couple Grosse Pointe Park garage. Her body was found the next day in her SUV parked in an east side Detroit alley.

Police and prosecutors say Bashara paid Steve Tibaudo $2,000 as a 10-percent down payment to have Gentz killed in the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramckto prevent Gentz from testifying against him.

After Bashara’s initial offer, Tibaudo went to police and wore a hidden wire to secretly tape-record further conversations with Bashara.

-----

Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/...-sentence-of-80-months-to-20-years#full_story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman