MI MI - Jane Snow, 31, Otsego County, 15 May 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I like to revisit this case from time to time, but I've come to accept that it will probably never be solved. Too much time has passed, the only suspect has died, and the case has turned cold. It would take quite a dramatic breakthrough to turn this case on its head.

I can't imagine what it's like to lose someone so randomly and senselessly. I don't know how you come to terms with the fact there will never be any closure or justice. I guess life finds a way?

Although investigators at the time (1979) did not find any links, here are three other Michigan murders that occurred about the same time as Jane's death:

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 14, of Hubbardston, Michigan strangled 7 April 1979

Julia Curns, age 15, of Claire County, Michigan stabbed to death 12 April 1979

Victoria Livermore, age 17, of Antrim County, Michigan, beaten to death 19 May 1979

While I could find very little information about Julia or Victoria, the following came up regarding the murder of Laura Mae McVeigh:

Laura Mae McVeigh was abducted and murdered while jogging. Jerald Leroy Wingeart , who was convicted in 2001 of the 1973 murder of Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, was considered as a suspect in Laura's murder. Investigators matched fibers from Wingeart's van on Laura's jogging suit and some of her hair was found in his van.

ProfileImage.aspx

JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Image Date: 1/8/2020
MDOC Number: 106413
SID Number: 0494598E
Name: JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Racial Identification: White
Hair: Gray
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Date of Birth: 01/15/1941 (81)

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 16, Murdered 7 April 1979

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, 20, of Corunna, Michigan
Murdered 27 January 1973

LINKS:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WEPR04sBd...Unrelated';+The+Argus-Press,+May+22,+1979.jpg

Laura Mae Mcveigh (1963-1979) - Find a Grave...

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar (1952-1973) - Find a Grave...

Murder of Dawn Magyar - Wikipedia

Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile

Last edited:
Although investigators at the time (1979) did not find any links, here are three other Michigan murders that occurred about the same time as Jane's death:

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 14, of Hubbardston, Michigan strangled 7 April 1979

Julia Curns, age 15, of Claire County, Michigan stabbed to death 12 April 1979

Victoria Livermore, age 17, of Antrim County, Michigan, beaten to death 19 May 1979

While I could find very little information about Julia or Victoria, the following came up regarding the murder of Laura Mae McVeigh:

Laura Mae McVeigh was abducted and murdered while jogging. Jerald Leroy Wingeart , who was convicted in 2001 of the 1973 murder of Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, was considered as a suspect in Laura's murder. Investigators matched fibers from Wingeart's van on Laura's jogging suit and some of her hair was found in his van.

ProfileImage.aspx

JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Image Date: 1/8/2020
MDOC Number: 106413
SID Number: 0494598E
Name: JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Racial Identification: White
Hair: Gray
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Date of Birth: 01/15/1941 (81)

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 16, Murdered 7 April 1979

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, 20, of Corunna, Michigan
Murdered 27 January 1973

LINKS:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WEPR04sBd...Unrelated';+The+Argus-Press,+May+22,+1979.jpg

Laura Mae Mcveigh (1963-1979) - Find a Grave...

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar (1952-1973) - Find a Grave...

Murder of Dawn Magyar - Wikipedia

Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile

Victoria Livermore was solved and he's already been released after serving 20+ years

Victoria Livermore was solved and he's already been released after serving 20+ years
Looks like the killer of Julie Curns has been released and is living in the same area where he committed the murder as well.

Looks like the killer of Julie Curns has been released and is living in the same area where he committed the murder as well.

Great to hear that these two individuals have been rehabilitated and turned into productive members of society. What have they been up to lately?

Any details regarding how they murdered their victims, and whether their MO's might match any unsolved crimes like Jane Snow's murder?

Great to hear that these two individuals have been rehabilitated and turned into productive members of society. What have they been up to lately?

Any details regarding how they murdered their victims, and whether their MO's might match any unsolved crimes like Jane Snow's murder?
Julie Curns was stabbed to death with a 1 1/2” blade pocket knife. She was hanging out that night with the murder’s sister. They walked to a party store together but left separately. He must’ve grabbed her when she was walking home from the party store. He (the murderer) and Julies mother found her body that night when they went looking for her when she failed to return home.

Victoria Livermore may have been hitchhiking when she was picked up. The murderer took her to his parents cottage near Gaylord where she was more than likely raped and beaten to death with a hammer. Crazy to think that both of these perps were (still are) free to walk around after both serving relatively short sentences.

Last edited:
I think that in May of 1979 wingeart was being watched closely by police after the McVeigh case. JMO YMMV

I think that in May of 1979 wingeart was being watched closely by police after the McVeigh case. JMO YMMV

Interesting. Wingeart's MO in those other cases isn't quite the same as this. He was a kidnapper and sexual-murderer. I understand he shot one girl and strangled another after raping them? There was no evidence of sexual assault in Jane Snow's murder. She had been stabbed 22 times, either in a psychotic rage or as a paraphilia. Not saying he should be ruled out. These are my first impressions of this suspect.

Could Wisconsin Inmate Michael Herrington have been connected to Jane Snow's murder?

Herrington was convicted of first-degree murder of Julie Beckwith, ten years of age, on September 3, 1966, by stabbing her with a knife in an empty lot in the city of Milwaukee.

A second conviction of first-degree murder was the result of the death of Sherryl Thompson, eighteen years of age, on October 16, 1966, by stabbing her with a knife behind a building in the city of Milwaukee.

A third conviction of attempted first-degree murder was the result of an attempt to cause the death of one Kathleen Audrey Dreyer, eleven years of age, on November 11, 1966, by stabbing her with a knife in an alley in the city of Milwaukee.

The cases were consolidated for trial and the defendant did not testify. Herrington was convicted of the three charges and sentenced to two Life life terms plus 30 years in prison. He has resided in prison since 8 July 1967.

LINKS:

State v. Herrington

List of longest prison sentences served - Wikipedia

Michael Lee Herrington | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Michael Lee Herrington at the time of his 1966 arrest.

An interesting post about Jane Snow's murder on another website:

E. S. said...

My Dad Killed Mrs. Snow and possibly the others. All have things in common, nothing stolen and no rape. I know he killed Snow because I was there at 8 yrs old witnessing it and I also remember the 2 boys sitting in their car. My dad gave the knife to my brothers telling them to go throw up at the trees until it stuck and leave it there. My brother had already told (LE) about this. Our dad died in 2005 in Gaylord Michigan.... Posted on February 13, 2022 at 8:41 PM

LINK:

Cold Cases Hard Copy: Jane Snow's Grizzly Murder at a Gaylord Rest Stop in 1979 Still Remains a Mystery

Yes he was, but the similarity of his crimes with Jane's murder might point to someone he was in contact with in the prison.

Please could you elaborate what you mean by this? I am not quite grasping your train of thought.

I still strongly suspect that Jane might have inadvertently surprised a drifter who was dossing in the ladies' bathroom. It could've been a paranoid individual who freaked out when they startled each other and attacked her. Although, it may have easily been someone casing the joint for a potential victim. Apparently no other vehicles were sighted, so I doubt Jane was followed there. Either the person was a drifter/hitchhiker, a local, or they had their vehicle parked somewhere else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back