MI MI - Jane Snow, 31, Otsego County, 15 May 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still strongly suspect that Jane might have inadvertently surprised a drifter who was dossing in the ladies' bathroom. It could've been a paranoid individual who freaked out when they startled each other and attacked her. Although, it may have easily been someone casing the joint for a potential victim. Apparently no other vehicles were sighted, so I doubt Jane was followed there. Either the person was a drifter/hitchhiker, a local, or they had their vehicle parked somewhere else.

Jane and her boys were enroute between Grand Rapids and Escanaba, Michigan by car - a distance of about 400 miles (driving time about 6.5 Hours). Gaylord (where the rest stop was) was about half way to their destination. Nobody would have tailed them that long without being noticed. Also, nobody would have "targeted" Jane specifically, trailing her for over 3 hours.

The attack on her was, no doubt, a crime of opportunity, committed by someone who happened to be at that rest stop - either by happenstance, or by design awaiting a random victim. The chances of the killer being someone Jane knew are almost zero.

The police may have noted that there were no other cars around when they finally showed up at the rest stop, but keep in mind that some time had gone by between the boys and their mother first entering the restrooms, and the time the boys went in looking for her, finding her, and flagging down a car for help. There easily could have been someone else (with or without a vehicle) at that rest stop before they arrived, and there was plenty of time for him to leave after killing Jane.

Jane was viciously attacked and stabbed 23 times. This is not someone who accidently jabbed her while sharpening his knife, or who thought he was defending himself. It was not a "one time" thing. He was an evil, cold blooded killer who had done this before and after. Looking at other similar attacks might provide leads to who he was.

It is possible that he had previously been in prison for a violent offense, and may have been in contact with others of similar mindset. Did he talk to other inmates about his proclivities? Did others offer him advice? Someone this out of control would sooner or later end up in prison (or shot by someone in self defense). Questioning inmates who are known to have committed similar murders or attacks might be worth while.

jane-baribeau-snow.jpg
photo_153902_53748_1_baribeau_20161130.jpgx

Jane Baribeau-Snow

Jane Verena Baribeau - Snow
Birthdate: April 11, 1948
Death: June 15, 1979 (31)
Gaylord, MI, United States (Murdered)
Place of Burial: Escanaba, Delta, MI, United States

LINKS:

Jane Verena Baribeau

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/detroitnews/name/jane-snow-obituary?pid=182904739

Foundation Scholarships | Bay College

Thank you for the photos, Richard. I've only ever seen the one newspaper clipping of Jane wearing her nurse's cap.

Thank you for the photos, Richard. I've only ever seen the one newspaper clipping of Jane wearing her nurse's cap.

The portrait photo of Jane came from this write up for a scholarship honoring her parents:

John and Miriam Baribeau Scholarship

miriam-john-baribeau.jpg

• Delta County Resident
  • Nursing Student
  • Pursuing Associate Degree and Employment in Delta County
  • Demonstrated Ability to Provide Quality Care through Clinical Experience

Lifelong residents of Escanaba, John and Miriam Baribeau raised six children and owned Escanaba Steam Laundry, which is still owned and operated by the Baribeau family to this day. The Baribeau’s love for the community, as well as the educational opportunities that Bay College provides, led to the creation of the scholarship by the children of John and Miriam after their passing.

Additionally, the scholarship specifies that the recipient must be a Delta County resident pursuing a nursing degree. This criteria was set forth in loving memory of John and Miriam’s beloved daughter, Jane Baribeau-Snow, who was a successful nurse in Lower Michigan whose life was tragically lost in an unsolved murder. It is the wish of the Baribeau family to help nursing students in Delta County with educational opportunities that will benefit them, and their community, for a lifetime.

jane-baribeau-snow.jpg

Jane Baribeau-Snow

LINK:

Although investigators at the time (1979) did not find any links, here are three other Michigan murders that occurred about the same time as Jane's death:

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 14, of Hubbardston, Michigan strangled 7 April 1979

Julia Curns, age 15, of Claire County, Michigan stabbed to death 12 April 1979

Victoria Livermore, age 17, of Antrim County, Michigan, beaten to death 19 May 1979

While I could find very little information about Julia or Victoria, the following came up regarding the murder of Laura Mae McVeigh:

Laura Mae McVeigh was abducted and murdered while jogging. Jerald Leroy Wingeart , who was convicted in 2001 of the 1973 murder of Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, was considered as a suspect in Laura's murder. Investigators matched fibers from Wingeart's van on Laura's jogging suit and some of her hair was found in his van.

ProfileImage.aspx

JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Image Date: 1/8/2020
MDOC Number: 106413
SID Number: 0494598E
Name: JERALD LEROY WINGEART
Racial Identification: White
Hair: Gray
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Date of Birth: 01/15/1941 (81)

Laura Mae McVeigh, age 16, Murdered 7 April 1979

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar, 20, of Corunna, Michigan
Murdered 27 January 1973

LINKS:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WEPR04sBdtI/UA-boXYdQ_I/AAAAAAAANJ8/C0SCw1dB6pA/s1600/Four+Recent+Killings+'Seem+Unrelated';+The+Argus-Press,+May+22,+1979.jpg

Laura Mae Mcveigh (1963-1979) - Find a Grave...

Dawn Lee Swan Magyar (1952-1973) - Find a Grave...

Murder of Dawn Magyar - Wikipedia

Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile
Winegeart's MDOC has now been updated to "offender discharged" as of 8/20/22. Does this mean he had died?

Winegeart's MDOC has now been updated to "offender discharged" as of 8/20/22. Does this mean he had died?
Yes, and I am so disappointed. I strongly believe that he murdered other women.

jane-baribeau-snow.jpg
photo_153902_53748_1_baribeau_20161130.jpgx

Jane Baribeau-Snow

Jane Verena Baribeau - Snow
Birthdate: April 11, 1948
Death: June 15, 1979 (31)
Gaylord, MI, United States (Murdered)
Place of Burial: Escanaba, Michigan

The nice portrait of Jane Verena Baribeau-Snow that I had posted earlier seems to have been X-ed out of her thread. To view it, click on the above link and scroll down to the John and Miriam Baribeau scholarship then click on it.

8CCAC821-BBDB-4397-BA74-B8B39CAE86DD.jpeg

Jane Verena Baribeau-Snow, age 31
Murdered 15 May 1979

Bumping this thread up. Jane's murder remains unsolved.

LINK:

If John McGawley did it, he took that secret to his grave. If it wasn't him, then sadly I doubt the real culprit will ever be named.

A potential suspect to consider might be serial killer Donald Leroy Evans. Evans was originally from Michigan and he traveled around the country assaulting and brutally killing over 20 victims at parks and rest stops.

Evans was not arrested until 1991. He was convicted of two separate murders and given two death sentences; one in MIssissippi and one in Florida. While on death row, he confessed to a number of other murders dating at least back to 1980 or earlier.

Evans was probably never connected with the murder of Jane Baribeau Snow, but perhaps a review of his "confessions" and known locations, and other attacks might offer some clues connecting him to this cold case.

LINK:

This murder would appear to be one of random opportunity rather than the killer specifically selecting and targeting Jane.

She and her sons had been driving for several hours and were about half way from their home in Grand Rapids to her parents' home in Escanaba, Michigan.

It is possible that the killer may have been following them on the road for some time, but more likely was simply waiting at the highway rest stop for an opportunity in which a victim stopped by during a time when no witnesses were present.

This murder would appear to be one of random opportunity rather than the killer specifically selecting and targeting Jane.

She and her sons had been driving for several hours and were about half way from their home in Grand Rapids to her parents' home in Escanaba, Michigan.

It is possible that the killer may have been following them on the road for some time, but more likely was simply waiting at the highway rest stop for an opportunity in which a victim stopped by during a time when no witnesses were present.
there were no cars in the rest stop parking area, so they were likely waiting for a victim.

It could've been someone lying in wait at the rest stop, or as I have previously speculated, Jane may have disrupted someone who was in the ladies bathroom. A transient who was mentally disturbed/drugged up and panicked. However, if that were the case, would her sons have heard a scream and commotion?

It seems unusual to me that a serial killer would've been lurking about in a remote rest stop on the off-chance a woman stops by. There were no other vehicles parked on site. That's what leads me more towards the hitch-hiker/drug addict angle.

I am researching the murder of Dawn Magyar (1973) in Owosso and stumbled upon an article that mentions police were searching for a link with another murder of a woman at a rest stop the following year. Instantly made me think of Jane Snow.
I can't find any more information on Pamela Hill anywhere online. She doesn't come up in unsolved murder lists that Jane Magyar is listed in which leads me to believe her murder may have been solved?

Battle Creek Enquirer 09 Jun 1974, page Page 11 - Newspapers.com
Lansing State Journal 09 Jun 1974, page Page 1 - Newspapers.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Larger memorial image loading...
Larger memorial image loading...

Source: The Detroit Free Press, 17 May 1979

I am researching the murder of Dawn Magyar (1973) in Owosso and stumbled upon an article that mentions police were searching for a link with another murder of a woman at a rest stop the following year. Instantly made me think of Jane Snow.
I can't find any more information on Pamela Hill anywhere online. She doesn't come up in unsolved murder lists that Jane Magyar is listed in which leads me to believe her murder may have been solved?

Battle Creek Enquirer 09 Jun 1974, page Page 11 - Newspapers.com
Lansing State Journal 09 Jun 1974, page Page 1 - Newspapers.com
Dawn's murder is solved, what are you looking for in her case? /curious

Dawn's murder is solved, what are you looking for in her case? /curious
Hey Nina, we met at Festival of Oddities two years ago and talked about OCCK!

I'm looking into a group of murders that took place around Lansing in the 70s, likely most unrelated but were grouped together at the time because they were all young caucasian women abducted then dumped in rural areas.

Those led me to Dawn as her murder occured at the same time and was listed in the articles and then from Dawn I found Pamela Hill which reminded me of Jane Snow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back