MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Katie Poirier is the first case that came to mind when I read about Jessica. I have an old friend who grew up in Moose Lake and nobody in the area has ever forgotten her. The surveillance tape from the convenience store was absolutely chilling.

I've been following this fast-moving thread from the beginning, and it also brings back memories of the Katie Poirier case. As a MN native, I had a friend who was one of the people to see Katie in that gas station that night. It all just gives me goose bumps!

While we're talking about people keeping an eye out for anyone deviating from their routines, it should also be noted if it hasn't been already, to keep an eye out for anyone who has done any detailing or excessive cleaning to their vehicle.

Praying Jessica is found safe and soon!

NORTON SHORES, Mich. (AP) — West Michigan police say they've ruled out several family members, friends and acquaintances in connection with the disappearance of a 25-year-old gas station clerk.

Norton Shores Police Chief Daniel Shaw said Monday that those associated with Jessica Heeringa have been interviewed and investigators are "no longer really concerned with their activities from that night."

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/apr/29/police-talk-associates-clerk-who-disappeared/

There was a case here - about 15-20 years ago - where a young woman was working alone at a convenience store late at night. She was abducted and murdered. As a result, Occupational Health and Safety Code was re-written to prevent anything like that from happening again ... and it hasn't.

Many of you know who I am. Jessica is my grandson's mother and my sons fiance. This is very disturbing. We all think and say it can never happen here or to you well I am here to tell you to be thankful it hasn't happened to you. We are all praying and we need people out there to start a prayer chain. Please all pray very hard!!!! (posted by jax)

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/04/jessica_heeringa_goes_missing.html#comments

Dakota Quail-Dyer, Jessica's fiance and the father of her son, told 24 Hour News 8 Saturday that he talked to her an hour before she disappeared. He said she was looking forward to coming home.

"Just hoping she's OK and she'll come home and be with me and my son. I just want her home," he said.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/muskegon_county/missing-woman-case-officially-abduction

iluvmua, I nearly had a heart attack when I read your post. I recognize you and see that you've been a member here since 2009. It took me a minute to realize you were relaying jax's words and that you weren't saying it's your grandson and future daugher-in-law. My heart is still racing.

I'm keeping up with the case but my 'thanks' button started sticking again last night and is doing it again today. It takes too much time to refresh every other post. I've almost caught up reading all the posts and want to express my thanks to all for the links and observations.

My thoughts, gas station owner = cold. Business is business but really?
Weirder still that he bought a bike (for the son?) because that gesture would indicate a little warmth or personal interaction on his part previously.

About the sketch of the suspect. It's possible LE said that so that the perp would think/know someone saw him and possibly cause him to immediately change/cut his hair. He can't do anything about his broad shoulders. If he changed his hair though, someone (like in the case from 1999 that's been referred to) may notice and realize he fits the other descriptors too.

Finally, did somebody say that the owner of the gas station appeared in a news video? The video I watched, related to that post, showed only the officer speaking to the reporter.

I think that the reason that the sketch has not been released is because police don't want people to withhold a good tip because their information does not match the sketch.

I think that the reason that the sketch has not been released is because police don't want people to withhold a good tip because their information does not match the sketch.

they could also be "on" to the suspect and don't want to tip their hats:twocents:

(re: maybe they are using the info they did release to back up what they know ala Sierra LaMar case)

Finally, did somebody say that the owner of the gas station appeared in a news video? The video I watched, related to that post, showed only the officer speaking to the reporter.

sbm

It appears they've added another video on that link so it isn't the one that comes up now.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/muskegon_county/missing-woman-case-officially-abduction

Just below the video itself there are 4 thumbnail videos.

The two in the middle right now both blue, have pictures of Jessica as the thumbnail.
Those are the two you want.

The 2nd one started with the owner at about 3:30.

In an earlier interview with the fiancé, I saw him wearing a baseball cap. In the video that accompanies this recent update on a Detroit TV station, the fiancé has long hair with a center part.

POLICE: 25-year-old Michigan woman, gas station clerk possibly kidnapped

Posted: 6:00 AM
Last Updated: 21 minutes ago

NORTON SHORES, Mich. (AP) - West Michigan police are getting tips from around the country after they said they believe a 25-year-old gas station clerk was abducted as she prepared to close for the day.

Norton Shores Police Chief Daniel Shaw says police spent the day Sunday tracking down additional leads after asking for clues in the disappearance of Jessica Heeringa...

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/state/...tation-clerk-possibly-kidnapped#ixzz2RsCZJdda

I'm being forced to go there and BDEyes it's all your fault!
The fiance hasn't been visible. It's always one way or the other; the sig other is either out front and center or seems not to exist.
I've been trying to notice how regular guys act even though it's not an exact science.
Small little bitty observation - fiance referred to Jessica's and his son as "my son". Ownership?
Most appropriate would be words such as, 'our son needs his mother'. The link to the article is a couple pages back.

Honestly, I would never go to this gas station again if I lived near there.

If you knowingly endanger your employees then you shouldn't have customers.

It is unbelievable to me that LE ASKED him to install cameras... and he didn't.
That he had a gas station that was very isolated, without ANY cameras or security.

That he intentionally hired the pretty girls to work at night, alone, in an isolated area.

I come from a family of business owners. I understand business and profit margins and all of that.
But you also have an obligation to protect your employees! This is SO completely unacceptable!

The LEAST he could do is raise awareness, move women off the night shift alone and put up a reward.

Hopefully people in the area are aware of all of this. :twocents:

Wait. This guy intentionally put young women on the night shift? And refused to listen to LE and install cameras? Wonder where he was on the night in question.

iluvmua, I nearly had a heart attack when I read your post. I recognize you and see that you've been a member here since 2009. It took me a minute to realize you were relaying jax's words and that you weren't saying it's your grandson and future daugher-in-law. My heart is still racing.

I'm keeping up with the case but my 'thanks' button started sticking again last night and is doing it again today. It takes too much time to refresh every other post. I've almost caught up reading all the posts and want to express my thanks to all for the links and observations.

Weirder still that he bought a bike (for the son?) because that gesture would indicate a little warmth or personal interaction on his part previously.

About the sketch of the suspect. It's possible LE said that so that the perp would think/know someone saw him and possibly cause him to immediately change/cut his hair. He can't do anything about his broad shoulders. If he changed his hair though, someone (like in the case from 1999 that's been referred to) may notice and realize he fits the other descriptors too.

Yes he did. I am providing a link to the Wood TV 8 News Youtube channel that contains the video clip with the owner. He comes on at about the 3:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4kGX1F6Wyc

I'm being forced to go there and BDEyes it's all your fault!
The fiance hasn't been visible. It's always one way or the other; the sig other is either out front and center or seems to not exist. I've been trying to notice how regular guys act even though it's not an exact science.
Small little bitty observation - fiance referred to Jessica and his son as "my son". Ownership? Most appropriate would be words such as, 'our son needs his mother'. The link to the article is a couple pages back.

Some people just do this.
When my DH isn't around I refer to them as "my kids."
If Jessica was standing next to him he would probably be "our son."
But when the other person isn't there... a lot of people just say "my son."
It doesn't mean anything in my opinion. :twocents:

Wait. This guy intentionally put young women on the night shift? And refused to listen to LE and install cameras? Wonder where he was on the night in question.

The reporter also said in that same video just linked... that the LE said "owner is NOT a POI." :twocents:

Hi, Sorry if I frightened you. your welcome about the links etc.

I read that he did appear in a news video but I have not watched it.

yep, the 1999 case of Katie Porier..... very similar to this case. young woman working late at night gets abducted etc.

What's very interesting in her case, a tooth of hers is what solved the case.

Forensic Files is on HLN on weekends and katie's case is called "Tooth or Consequences". If your able to catch that episode on i'd watch it, they even show the video of her being abducted.

very scary stuff.

I hope Jessica comes home and this case does end up like katie's case.

It seem like it would be a good idea for the business owner to hire physically fit men to do the night shift and closing. This would keep away preditors who are looking for pretty young girls. Also the men working at night should have training in self-defense and gun use--and have a weapon handy along with a police emergency call button and a loud alarm plus good surveilance cameras.

they could also be "on" to the suspect and don't want to tip their hats:twocents:

(re: maybe they are using the info they did release to back up what they know ala Sierra LaMar case)

Jumping off both of your posts -- at what point do they decide to release the sketch if everything stays status quo?
This would depend on why they're withholding it, which only they know (not enough detail/too vague, not wanting to tip their hats,..) however time being critical especially these initial hours and first couple of days, there's not much room for error.

Also it doesn't seem like the witness or witnesses in this case will be able to fine tune their description of the suspect so the sketch won't become more detailed. What they have now might be as good as it gets and the public might have to work with what they have.

It's a fine line for LE and I don't envy them, but respect the heck out of them.

DH called me a while ago to tell me that he had been reading this thread and noticed that I posted about how desolate and remote the area is, especially at night. The Fairfield Inn where we stayed is on Mount Garfield Road (1520 E.) and it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. By the time that we were looking for the hotel, it was nearly 1:00AM, so there wasn't anything open if we had needed to stop to ask for directions. The night manager told DH how many intersections we'd drive through before we arrived at the Fairfield Inn. When I say remote area, I mean it :D

That said, just a couple of weeks later, we met a couple from Norton Shores on a cruise. Small world :)

Her car, purse, and 'personal belongings' were left at the store and no cash was missing... has anyone seen anything specific regarding her cell phone?

It would be inferred that it is a 'personal belonging'- and therefore in the store... but in other recent missing person cases the cell phone is usually specifically mentioned.

A lot of people keep their cell phones in their pants pockets- so maybe it is with her? Or maybe tossed out the van window?

Maybe LE is following cell phone 'pings'?

So, has anyone seen any info specific about her cell phone? I've been following the case since yesterday morning and the updates are moving quickly... I may have missed her cell phone info...

Praying for Jessica's safe return!

Her car, purse, and 'personal belongings' were left at the store and no cash was missing... has anyone seen anything specific regarding her cell phone?

It would be inferred that it is a 'personal belonging'- and therefore in the store... but in other recent missing person cases the cell phone is usually specifically mentioned.

A lot of people keep their cell phones in their pants pockets- so maybe it is with her? Or maybe tossed out the van window?

Maybe LE is following cell phone 'pings'?

So, has anyone seen any info specific about her cell phone? I've been following the case since yesterday morning and the updates are moving quickly... I may have missed her cell phone info...

Praying for Jessica's safe return!

Editing and updating--- I don't have a link handy but if I come across I'll post.

She spoke with her fiance shortly before abduction. Around 10, 10:15pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove