MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just have to say... what kind of perp would commit such a crime while wearing a brightly colored sweatshirt?! red or orange?!

Unfortunately I think this individual had a plan in place, pretty well prepared and bold and his clothing wasn't much of a concern to him.
Which hopefully will contribute to him being tracked down and Jessica being found safe.

To me, the direction and roadway the suspect vehicle is traveling indicates a local suspect. They are not headed out of town. They are headed right into Muskegon. If the perp were heading to 31 either north or south, why not pick it up just east of the Exxon station?

Tend to agree with this. The person obviously is familiar with the local roads. If I were a tourist and gassed up there, I would have gotten back on 31 to get to 96 because I'd have no idea where Grand Haven would take me. For all I know it would dead end or I'd get lost and end up having to circle right back to the gas station, which is the last place the perp would want to be.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/loca...nce-video-of-minivan-in-jessica-heeringa-case

The video link above again.

I really think I see the VOI (vehicle of interest) turning left at 13 seconds into the video. I originally thought it looked like the vehicle turned onto a road, but if I am reading the map correctly, it's actually a turn into the bar parking lot. The lot seems to wrap around the bar and exits onto E Byron Rd. That road leads to RR tracks and a very desolate looking area or can also serve as a U-turn back to Grand Haven. I think. IMO. Locals...please correct me if I am wrong. Andalso...feel free to bring doubt to whether or not the VOI does actually turn left into that lot.

Hope this google map link to the bar works....

4814 Grand Haven Rd, Norton Shores, MI - Google Maps

Maps can get me turned around backwards, but if the vehicle in question was coming from the direction of the Exxon, wouldn't the bar, the bar's parking lot and East Byron all be on the right? Not a left turn?

Maps can get me turned around backwards, but if the vehicle in question was coming from the direction of the Exxon, wouldn't the bar, the bar's parking lot and East Byron all be on the right? Not a left turn?

You are correct. There are two things that may be confusing. First, the silver vehicle parked in the parking lot is facing South. This is not the vehicle in question. The vehicle in question is traveling North, from left to right. Which brings us to the second issue. There is another vehicle in the video heading South. That vehicle is also not the vehicle of interest. There is no left turn. There is a corner that takes you left if traveling South.

If you look click the link below and watch the video footage, the silver van in question actually first appears quite late in terms of the video length. I believe the van enters the footage around the 50 second mark. Click the link below and watch the entire video. Wait to see the second vehicle traveling from left to right.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/loca...nce-video-of-minivan-in-jessica-heeringa-case

If the gray van is the perp, I agree that he must know the area if he headed north on Grand Haven. It looks like the road merges in to 31 North? Police should check all surveillance cameras on these roads for several miles north. The problem with surveilance cameras are most are low resolution and will be difficult to get a plate number. I've been looking at a system for my home and will make sure to buy 1080p high def cameras that are now becoming more common place.

The caller clearly identifies two vehicles, other than his own, in the parking lot. Was it ever stated who the second car belonged to?

Not that I am aware of. I would like an explanation of the mysterious third vehicle. The caller states there is a car next to the building and a Honda SUV in the parking lot. He indicates that his black Jeep is parked at the pumps. I am assuming that the car next to the building belongs to Ms. Heeringa. The Honda SUV is unaccounted for.

When I first saw the still clip of the surveillance footage, I thought the silver SUV in the parking lot of the tavern was the vehicle in question and was wondering if it was still in the parking lot when the 911 caller showed up. This is not the case, however.

If the gray van is the perp, I agree that he must know the area if he headed north on Grand Haven. It looks like the road merges in to 31 North? Police should check all surveillance cameras on these roads for several miles north. The problem with surveilance cameras are most are low resolution and will be difficult to get a plate number. I've been looking at a system for my home and will make sure to buy 1080p high def cameras that are now becoming more common place.

If the van would have continued North on Grand Haven Rd, there would have been two options. First, merge onto US 31 Business District, also referred to as Seaway Dr, or turn right and merge onto I-96 East. He could have also traveled to I-96 E by turning right onto Hile after continuing North on GH Rd for another block or two.

All signs indicate that the suspect is local, though IMO.

The direction the vehicle was traveling is actually a great way to make it to I-96 east if you don't want to be seen. From the tavern, the suspect could have continued on Grand Haven Rd for another block or two and taken a right onto Hile Rd and headed east. That would have taken him to I-96 E. Also, if he continued north on Grand Haven Rd, he could have turned right onto I-96 E.

If I lived nearby I would drive those 3 routes looking for surveillance cameras.

If I'm reading your post count correctly, welcome to websleuths and good post. I would add not just the cameras further north, but also for the time frame before 11. Obviously, if the vehicle was seen leaving the Exxon, it had to get there first. Might have a better shot of the vehicle or driver going the opposite direction. For example, if it went south down Grand Haven to get to the Exxon, the Homestead camera would have maybe gotten another shot of the vehicle and this time from the driver's side, where LE might be able to discern information about the driver.

Not that I am aware of. I would like an explanation of the mysterious third vehicle. The caller states there is a car next to the building and a Honda SUV in the parking lot. He indicates that his black Jeep is parked at the pumps. I am assuming that the car next to the building belongs to Ms. Heeringa. The Honda SUV is unaccounted for.

When I first saw the still clip of the surveillance footage, I thought the silver SUV in the parking lot of the tavern was the vehicle in question and was wondering if it was still in the parking lot when the 911 caller showed up. This is not the case, however.

I'm sure LE has determined which vehicle was hers, but I assumed the vehicle away from the building was hers. Where I'm at, employees usually are asked to park away from the building to leave the closer parking for customers. Either way, yes, LE needs to account for all of the vehicles.

Forgive me again. I may be confused because I admittedly have been speed reading to try to keep up, but I have tried to read every post. I don't recall reading that the van in question was seen in the area you have indicated as it being seen turning around. I thought it was a co-employee or some other witness that turned around in that area because that person had seen the van at the Exxon and for some reason it raised concern in that person's mind. Can you point me to where the information came from that there was a sighting of the van in the area you have marked on this map? Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3