MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More thoughts on a cabin...

maybe the perp goes on hunting trips in this area periodically... Therefore frequents the Exxon where Jessica works...

JMO

The receipt tape in question is the tape that prints out a customer's receipt at the pump. The customer is asked, "receipt requested?".
If you press the "yes" button, the machine prints out the receipt when the nozzle is placed back onto its holder.

Is this the system they have there when paying with a credit card versus cash?

Yes. If you prepay with cash you request your receipt at the counter when you pay. At least that's how its always worked for me. I honestly rarely carry cash though so it could be different scenerios I guess.

Don't do what??????? Demand security cameras in businesses? What is wrong with that? People are going missing and you tell me not to post a link about legislation being started to require security cameras? It's been a long, long time coming.....

The legislation is a good thing; the timing is a day late and a dollar short.
People want the focus to be on finding Jessica.

I've been reading way too much on this case tonight, it hits too close to home both figuratively and literally, I live in Mi (a little bit further north, but close enough that this is all over the local news) and I've worked third shift and closing shift at gas stations and hotels for years. I hope they find her soon. It being a turkey hunter and a crime of opportunity just doesn't feel right to me, just my opinion. Here's why I think that, first off there have allegedly been past issues with a "creeper" hanging around other local businesses late at night, in a similar vehicle; also, it would be a huge stroke of "luck" for the abductor to just happen upon a woman working alone at closing time. How did he know that she didn't have a coworker inside? Or someone coming to pick her up? I would almost bet money that she's seen this guy hanging around before, and though you might think that she would have mentioned it to someone I can say from my own experience that sometimes you get sick of everyone worrying about your dangerous job, so you don't tell your family and friends about every creepy guy and weirdo that bugs you because it happens more often than you really want to think about. Sometimes it's scary, sometimes you have to call the cops, but when you have kids at home and bills to pay you try to push the worries out of your mind.
As for turkey season, it doesn't actually start for most hunters until the 6th. The ones that are hunting right now are a very limited number and only in certain areas. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10958_10969_12072-30342--,00.html I'm not saying it's not a possiblity, I just don't find it likely. The closest destination that looks likely to me on a map would be Mona Lake or the main highway out of town.
:wagon: Lalettab! :welcome:

Good, insightful post!

Local info. Is most appreciated here!

:seeya:

Don't do what??????? Demand security cameras in businesses? What is wrong with that? People are going missing and you tell me not to post a link about legislation being started to require security cameras? It's been a long, long time coming.....

I think they were referring to your original post, which only said something like "FINALLY!!!"... with a link to a news outlet.

It isn't a personal thing... but speaking for myself, when I first saw that my heart sort of dropped because I thought it was serious real news about finding Jessica. It isn't what you posted, it is just that it was SO EXCITED and it had nothing by way of explanation that it was only about the possibility of this law, instead of news about Jessica. I think a lot of people saw that and got really excited/scared/etc. about Jessica, YKWIM?

Yes. If you prepay with cash you request your receipt at the counter when you pay. At least that's how its always worked for me. I honestly rarely carry cash though so it could be different scenerios I guess.

What?
Oh, you must prepay? Okay. That's the new way I guess. (I always use a card.)
Maybe I missed a point too - no credit cards out at the pump allowed?
Sometimes I get gas but never have to enter the store at all - just pull up to the pump, put the gas in, return nozzle, take receipt and drive away.

I haven't posted here at WS in months (but I lurk like its my job, haha). Anyways, I joined because of the Mickey Shunick case and I'm being brought out of lurkdom because this case reminds me so much of the MS case. I just pray that this one has a different outcome. :please:

:welcome: AndiLA, Pugmom and Laura to the thread! :wagon:

Someone said they thought she had gone out back to smoke and he took her then. WRONG. You don't leave the cash drawer out, the front door unlocked and the store unmanned. NOT FOR A SECOND. I used to work in a gas station. There is no way she would have been allowed to do that even with the cash drawer put away. You don't leave the store unmanned and unlocked, period. Not even if a customer has an "emergency" out back. You call 911 for them. That is why I believe he came into the store, she was forced to go with him, and that he was armed. MOO.

I don't think that she would have gone out for a smoke so close to quittin' time. I used to smoke a long time ago and I would have saved that for when I was on my way home. It was reported really early on that she had spoken via phone with her fiance about an hour earlier (around 10:15ish?) and said that she was going to hurry and leave ASAP. Taking time for a smoke break doesn't fit into that scenario, IMO.

More thoughts on a cabin...

maybe the perp goes on hunting trips in this area periodically... Therefore frequents the Exxon where Jessica works...

JMO

I don't know what to think of the cabin scenerio. Everyone I know who hunts from around here (and virtually everyone does) heads north to hunt. But they are deer hunters. Maybe turkey hunting is different. There aren't really hunting cabins in the Norton Shores area that I know of, but very likely people would pop off US31 for gas when heading north to hunt.

I don't think that she would have gone out for a smoke so close to quittin' time. I used to smoke a long time ago and I would have saved that for when I was on my way home. It was reported really early on that she had spoken via phone with her fiance about an hour earlier (around 10:15ish?) and said that she was going to hurry and leave ASAP. Taking time for a smoke break doesn't fit into that scenario, IMO.

In the one video of Jessica and her son, it looks like maybe she was wearing a nicotine patch on her arm. Is it for certain that she is smoking currently? Maybe she is still on the patch?

:welcome: AndiLA, Pugmom and Laura to the thread! :wagon:

Thanks! I'm keeping this window open while hopping off and on my exercise bike...it's hard to get in shape but even harder to stay away from Websleuths! Having a child that's Jessica's little boy's age, and having worked at a gas station...this really hits close to home. I can't stop thinking about her. I really hope she is found safe, and soon!

I am getting Holly Bobo vibes from this case...young woman goes off with abductor, apparently, actually in front of a witness, yet never seen again. Hope I am wrong, of course.

Yep. I was going to write this earlier too. Also with it being hunting season there, it's all a bit deja vu!
I really hope we're wrong. I hope something breaks soon.

In the one video of Jessica and her son, it looks like maybe she was wearing a nicotine patch on her arm. Is it for certain that she is smoking currently? Maybe she is still on the patch?

Yeah, I saw that too and wondered the same thing. I know there's a birth control patch too, but I thought that the birth control patch was oval shaped and I remember the patch on Jessica was square or rectangular?

does it normally take 2 days to clear someone? That seems a bit long to me.

Sometimes they never clear a person - or say that they did outloud. The person remains on LE's radar when they can't gather evidence to charge him.

In Kelli Bordeaux's case (NC), there's a RSO related to the case who hasn't been charged as there's apparently not enough concrete evidence. He's in jail for the probation violations. The public is left to wonder what evidence or lack of evidence LE has - they don't announce the details or their theories unless it serves some purpose.

Have LE mentioned any RSO cleared yet? ( not talking about the guy in his 60's)

because that video I watched said the man whoever they were talking to was cleared but then he said in the video that they have not come by to speak to him yet.

I don't know what to think of the cabin scenerio. Everyone I know who hunts from around here (and virtually everyone does) heads north to hunt. But they are deer hunters. Maybe turkey hunting is different. There aren't really hunting cabins in the Norton Shores area that I know of, but very likely people would pop off US31 for gas when heading north to hunt.

o/t ~ When I was a girl - a long time ago - we took a family vacation with my cousins to Iron Mountain. I have vivid memories of the fish cleaning shack!

How many hours is IM from Norton Shores? Just curious.

IIRC, Jessica's cigarettes were left with her purse and cell phone, according to MSM in the beginning.

Okay, so I'm new but I have followed some of your comments for a while. There is a guy in Grand Rapids sexual offender registry who has the initials "ggd" that irked me and then I looked at the vehicles registered to him and ...well silver mini van
GGD nose looks very similar to the sketch! Almost identical. However hair and eye distance not so much.

How about this guy?

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/MI15979025/James-Alan-Dewitt-Swanson.html

Doesn't fit the medium to heavy build so much. The medium to heavy build description by eyewitness throws me off. Either he was average size or heavy?

o/t ~ When I was a girl - a long time ago - we took a family vacation with my cousins to Iron Mountain. I have vivid memories of the fish cleaning shack!

How many hours is IM from Norton Shores? Just curious.

Maybe six? It is almost four to the bridge from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95