MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is troubling to me that LE is advising against searches, but it is even more troubling to me that people close to the family are speaking out strongly against searches on the Find Jessica Heeringa FB page.
Why? What could a search hurt? Evidence? Please. Evidence, if there is any, is doing Jessica no good laying out in the elements. This has not made sense to me from day one.
The argument that searches could not be helpful because Jessica was taken in a van do not make sense. The driver of the van could not have tossed anything out while driving away from the scene? Really? Maybe a piece of his clothing with her blood on it, or some item of Jessica's?
I don't understand it at all.

How can he possibly know this, without knowing who took her?

Unless the statements that Chief Shaw has taken from people don't add up, so perhaps that's why he thinks this way? That they might know more than what they have told him. IMOO.

It is troubling to me that LE is advising against searches, but it is even more troubling to me that people close to the family are speaking out strongly against searches on the Find Jessica Heeringa FB page.
Why? What could a search hurt? Evidence? Please. Evidence, if there is any, is doing Jessica no good laying out in the elements. This has not made sense to me from day one.
The argument that searches could not be helpful because Jessica was taken in a van do not make sense. The driver of the van could not have tossed anything out while driving away from the scene? Really? Maybe a piece of his clothing with her blood on it, or some item of Jessica's?

At this point at 3 months out, what will it hurt to search. If they are afraid of evidence being ruined, well, if they never search, they will never find any evidence anyway, so they may as well search.
What are they afraid of finding? An Alive Jessica, or a deceased Jessica?
Why are they so adamantly against searching?
IMOO.

I can't think of another missing person's case where LE (& the family) have been so anti-searches. It's really weird.

We all seem to have consensus on the need for ground searches.

At this point, I would bring in cadaver dogs.

What can ground searches hurt? Volunteer search organizations such as TES are just that, volunteer...NSPD would not be using their monetary resources for the searches. At the least, trained searchers can clear grid areas. At the most, evidence may be retreived that may lead to Jessica!

IMOO

...Although I feel prayer is meaningful and serves a purpose for believers, I also understand the point of the article. Prayer can offer guidance and comfort but it doesn't usually result in a solution being dropped down from the sky. I agree and have said as much more than once in this discussion. I keep Jessica and her family in my thoughts and prayers but know that this will not make her suddenly come home...

...The opinion/choice of not conducting searches is similar to the McStay family of four who went missing out of Fallbrook, CA in 2010.
I remember posting that the sketch in Jessica's case reminds me of Joey McStay. My vivid imagination gets going and I wonder about reasons for disappearing related to drugs and other weird stuff. In the McStay case, Tim Miller came out to search. After a quick look-see, a briefing with LE and one sonar search along a straight highway route, searches were called off. TES left and went onto a new job. Why? I recall the McStay family case but am more familiar with the Medsker family (husband and wife, 4-month-old son) who abruptly left their home in Petoskey, MI, including their private cleaning business. They contacted a family member when they saw themselves featured on a newscast and realized that family was concerned about where they were and why they had disappeared. They told the family member (his sister, IIRC) that they were fine and did not want to be located at this time. They returned to Petoskey at some point - I only know this from DH's former boss who now lives in Petoskey - but no details of their sudden disappearance were made public...

...Due to the lack of searches, I think there's more to Jessica's history and LE and family have suspicions that they're keeping private. I feel very strongly that this is the case but I know that we can't speculate about Jessica or her family. Suffice it to say that it's entirely possible that LE and/or Jessica's family/fiancé have learned some things since she went missing that might cause embarrassment to Jessica or her family, so they are remaining tight-lipped and hopeful that she will eventually return home...

<respectfully snipped> My responses within in text in red. :moo:

<respectfully snipped> My responses within in test in red. :moo:

The fact that the woman who started the FJH fb page and organized vigils and the command center was asked to let things die down, to me, makes your last paragraph very likely IMO.

I wonder if they are starting to think, or have reason to believe, that she took off...

I can't think of another missing person's case where LE (& the family) have been so anti-searches. It's really weird.

One that I can think of that is not quite the same because there was a 200 person search and a search with a lady with a dogs, is the SUSAN JACOBSON case. Why no more searches for her either??. And this 59 year old woman can't get media coverage, well, can't get much media coverage. Atleast Jessica's poster is plastered everywhere and she continuously has been in the news. IMOO.

Sometimes I wonder if the initial person(s) of interest (can't remember if there was more than 1) in this case were really 100% cleared or if there just wasn't enough evidence to hold them, charge them, or publicly call them suspects...or if LE is watching them & hoping they will lead them to Jessica's remains (sorry to write that but if it was an abduction, at this point I doubt she's still alive). :(

I agree a search is needed. I have emailed Barbara Collins (deputy director} of TES in Texas. to see if she can talk with Chief Dan Shaw about making a search. TES will not come unless they have full approval and support of local LE. Good websleuthing!

Sounds to me like they have a pretty good idea who took her, but just need the evidence it takes to arrest them, or don't know where this person is. Also possible that they believe she is being held hostage, but not sure where. They may feel that if they attempt a rescue, her life could be in danger.
If there are at least 2 people who know what happened, either their stories don't jive, or they're both too scared to tell what they know.
It's confusing and frustrating, but as far as searches go, LE won't put volunteers' lives in danger, either. Sometimes LE is out there with a team of other officers from various agencies searching, and the public never hears about it until they find something.

Sometimes I wonder if the initial person(s) of interest (can't remember if there was more than 1) in this case were really 100% cleared or if there just wasn't enough evidence to hold them, charge them, or publicly call them suspects...or if LE is watching them & hoping they will lead them to Jessica's remains (sorry to write that but if it was an abduction, at this point I doubt she's still alive). :(

I hate to say this but I feel she was taken for human trafficing.

Indeed. Don't most murders from kidnappings occur within a relatively short time and distance from the abduction scene? I suppose LE only quotes statistics when it's convenient.

But why wouldn't LE want this solved, no matter how she really disappeared? That is the question that bugs me. I can't think of any reason LE wouldn't want to find Jessica, no matter what the circumstances. They have no personal connection to Jessica or her family. This is their job and their reputation. LE must really believe searches are not a good idea, but I sure wish they would share their reasoning with the rest of us. From where I sit (as a community member) it makes no sense.

But why wouldn't LE want this solved, no matter how she really disappeared? That is the question that bugs me. I can't think of any reason LE wouldn't want to find Jessica, no matter what the circumstances. They have no personal connection to Jessica or her family. This is their job and their reputation. LE must really believe searches are not a good idea, but I sure wish they would share their reasoning with the rest of us. From where I sit (as a community member) it makes no sense.

While it might not be necessary or prudent for the public to know "the rest of the story" or specific details about Jessica's whereabouts, I think that the local community is owed an explanation for their own peace of mind and well-being. I don't live in the area but felt a sudden sense of panic last week when another woman (Amy Duck-DePoy) went missing for a few days :eek: I can't imagine what it must be like for those who live in the immediate area not knowing if there's a serial abductor lying in wait for another young woman to take against her will :scared:

I also think that folks who have made an effort to put up posters, plan fund-raising activities, prayer vigils, or those who have made donations to the cause in hopes of locating Jessica should know that their efforts were not in vain. Where is Jessica and is she alright?

:moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member