MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I am virtually certain that she is not missing voluntarily, why would she be liable if she committed no crime? She's an adult and she can leave. She has no duty to report her status to anyone.

Seems like there has been a case or two where there has been talk of charging the person for expenses, especially if set up to look like a crime may have taken place. Tiffany Tehan comes to mind, the woman who left her husband and new baby to run off with a lover. Her car was left was left in a park, with the door hanging open, setting off a huge, nationwide search, while she was in Florida with the new man. Not sure if any of these agencies followed through, but then we have Casey Anthony being sued by Tim Miller, for search expenses.

Still...I do not think she left on her own. I think when LE goes silent, which they so often do when a case goes cold, this idea always surfaces.

Seems like there has been a case or two where there has been talk of charging the person for expenses, especially if set up to look like a crime may have taken place. Tiffany Tehan comes to mind, the woman who left her husband and new baby to run off with a lover. Her car was left was left in a park, with the door hanging open, setting off a huge, nationwide search, while she was in Florida with the new man. Not sure if any of these agencies followed through, but then we have Casey Anthony being sued by Tim Miller, for search expenses.

Still...I do not think she left on her own. I think when LE goes silent, which they so often do when a case goes cold, this idea always surfaces.

Sure, if it can be proven to be fraudulent then it may be actionable. That burden is pretty high though when it comes to someone just wanting to get up and leave. They'd have to prove that she set it up to look like a crime and didn't just take off on a whim. Like you said, if she would have intentionally cut herself and they can prove that she did it to deceive, then yeah - that's probably actionable.

Anyway, it's all moot. She was clearly kidnapped.

I don't believe she left on her own either. The money left behind, to me, would be too tempting to take if you were planning on a new life. Just as easy to stage a robbery as a kidnapping.

LE never shared information about how much blood was found at the scene, only that some was found and determined to belong to Jessica. There was never any indication that Jessica was seriously hurt. I tend to think that there wasn't enough blood to suspect immediate foul play.

Not only has there been no word from LE for some time, but there have not been any pleas to the abductor from Jessica's family and/or fiancé to allow their daughter/sister/fiancée/mother of a young son to come home to those who love her. :moo:

In this video of her mom & boyfriend; they think she knew the person either personally or from work. They feel that since she did not put up a fight; she didn't feel she was in danger. I wouldn't doubt that LE not seeing signs of a struggle would think or assume she went willingly.

Did she actually pump gas or take money? Pretty sure MI is self serve.
In the video above; they mention girls pumping gas; were the other female employees interviewed?

If NSPD was no longer confident in the sketch or vehicle description, I would hope they would share that with the community. If they have us continue to look for things/people they are not themselves looking for, I will personally raise he**. This, IMO, would be the height of irresponsibility. I am not kidding about how upset this would make me.

I don't live in the immediate area, Flutterby, but I was freaked when the Muskegon woman (Amy Duck-DePoy) disappeared for a few days last week! Even though the circumstances were different than Jessica's, it was frightening to think that yet another woman would go missing from the same general area of the state. I don't think that we'll ever know the details about Amy's disappearance (personally, I think it was a domestic situation) but I'm glad that she was located and is safe.

I would definitely want LE to at least convey to the community that they remain confident in the description of the vehicle and the POI and that this individual is not likely to strike again. Details of the investigation would not concern me until an arrest was made and charges filed, but I would like to know that I can rest easy and not worry about my safety or that of my friends and neighbors.

:moo:

Though I am virtually certain that she is not missing voluntarily, why would she be liable if she committed no crime? She's an adult and she can leave. She has no duty to report her status to anyone.

If she did leave on her own, and Continued Not to call anyone, and the Intent was to Lead people on to make it look like a Crime, Knowing that people spent time and money on her, I can see that LE perhaps would have charges against anyone that would do this.

And as for my opinion, it is Possible that she left on her own, but I still lean towards an abduction and that she did not leave willingly, whether she knew the person or not.
Imoo.

Here is a recent case that was in the news from Maryland. This woman left on her own acccord, but it looked like an abduction, and people spent time and money and worried for her........

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...cle_f074f7e1-9a0b-5981-9f59-fef423b300f7.html

"The investigation of the disappearance is not fully closed, Bailey said. The sheriff's office will review the case with the Frederick County State's Attorney's Office to determine whether to file any criminal charges.
“If charges are appropriate, they're going to be filed,” State's Attorney Charlie Smith said.
In Maryland, it is a misdemeanor to cause a false police report to be made. The penalty is $500 and a six-month jail sentence."

I truly don't believe she left of her own accord. My biggest reason for thinking this is that why would she tell her partner she would be leaving early? If someone was disappearing, they would generally want a head start, or at the very least, stick to their usual habits.

By telling him she would be home earlier than usual, it gave her less of a window of opportunity to 'escape'. He would become worried much sooner than normal.

If I was to take off, I would probably be telling those I lived with that I had some errands to run, etc, so that I had more time before they started to worry.

I agree.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/05/mother_of_jessica_heeringa_han.html

In this article from May 5th, Jessica's mom says her gut tells her Jessica is still in the Muskegon area.
Since 3 months have passed, I wonder if she still feels this way?
Quote:
“I just feel she’s around here,” said Shelly Heeringa, whose been driving from Nashville, Mich. to Norton Shores, every day since she learned of her daughter’s disappearance from the Sternberg Exxon gas station around 11 p.m. on April 26.

“Maybe it’s just me hoping. My gut tells me she’s alive. I think whoever has her has a routine and will eventually break it.”

The fact that the woman who started the FJH fb page and organized vigils and the command center was asked to let things die down, to me, makes your last paragraph very likely IMO.

The Facebook page has defiantly "died" down. The Facebook Admin was being careless in my opionion. She was giving out own personal cell number on the page and posing in front of her home. (If there is a murderer on the loose doesn't seem Smart). I'm going to try to locate the article where the finance actually was not happy about a color sketch. Can't remember the exact wording. I noticed when that occurred there was a shift on that FB page. I agree maybe they realized something about Jessica that would cause embarrassment. I noticed that the mother is doing less talking as well now to. Just can't imagine what this baby is going through my heart won't allow me to believe she left on her own.

The Facebook page has defiantly "died" down. The Facebook Admin was being careless in my opionion. She was giving out own personal cell number on the page and posing in front of her home. (If there is a murderer on the loose doesn't seem Smart). I'm going to try to locate the article where the finance actually was not happy about a color sketch. Can't remember the exact wording. I noticed when that occurred there was a shift on that FB page. I agree maybe they realized something about Jessica that would cause embarrassment. I noticed that the mother is doing less talking as well now to. Just can't imagine what this baby is going through my heart won't allow me to believe she left on her own.

:welcome: to the discussion, mor. There might have been more than one mention of the fiancé not wanting the color sketch, but here's one of them:

Jessica Heeringa abduction Facebook page administrator pushes for color sketch; gets no support from fiance, police

Heather Lynn Peters | hpeters@mlive.com By Heather Lynn Peters | hpeters@mlive.com

June 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM, updated June 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

NORTON SHORES, MI – An effort by a Norton Shores woman to tweak a police sketch of the possible alleged abductor of Jessica Heeringa, the Norton Shores gas station clerk who disappeared on April 26, isn't getting support from the missing woman’s fiancé or police heading up the investigation.

Carrie Mitchell is an administrator for the Find Jessica Heeringa Facebook page that was started shortly after Heeringa, 25, was apparently abducted from the Exxon gas station on Sternberg Road while working alone as a night clerk...

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/06/jessica_heeringa_abduction_fac.html

At this point at 3 months out, what will it hurt to search. If they are afraid of evidence being ruined, well, if they never search, they will never find any evidence anyway, so they may as well search.
What are they afraid of finding? An Alive Jessica, or a deceased Jessica?
Why are they so adamantly against searching?
IMOO.

One idea for discouraging ground searches is (warning - gross) if they suspect someone who is connected to an industry that involves using certain types of machinery or something. Jessica may have been taken to an industrial area and then disposed of in some unusual way.
I keep wondering about the shift workers getting off work and if any of them had the ability to return to their workplace thus committing the crime there. If the business was closed over the weekend, that would allow time to make sure everything looked normal by Monday morning.
If the perp is married, he could simply say he was going to work on Saturday. Just because the van was headed north, doesn't mean the perp didn't turn around and take side streets to go south. Iirc there's an industrial area a few miles south of the gas station.

I can't think of another missing person's case where LE (& the family) have been so anti-searches. It's really weird.

Little Caylee's case out of Florida. The family discouraged searching for a body and resisted Tim Miller's efforts. He's on record saying that they, the parents of KC, gave off the strangest vibe of any family he'd ever tried to help before. One reason why I believe they always knew more about what happened to Caylee from the beginning.

While it might not be necessary or prudent for the public to know "the rest of the story" or specific details about Jessica's whereabouts, I think that the local community is owed an explanation for their own peace of mind and well-being. I don't live in the area but felt a sudden sense of panic last week when another woman (Amy Duck-DePoy) went missing for a few days :eek: I can't imagine what it must be like for those who live in the immediate area not knowing if there's a serial abductor lying in wait for another young woman to take against her will :scared:

I also think that folks who have made an effort to put up posters, plan fund-raising activities, prayer vigils, or those who have made donations to the cause in hopes of locating Jessica should know that their efforts were not in vain. Where is Jessica and is she alright?

:moo:

O/T ~ Did anyone catch the documentary on HBO about the Cheshire murders? You can google 'hbo documentary' and info will come up about the horrors associated with the case, the painful treatment on so many levels the family members received, and the poor overall handling of the case by the police.

Adding insult to injury the police refuse to comment, explain or apologize for their handling, or lack of it, pertaining to the case. It's incomprehensible to understand the lack of compassion or expression this particular police force has shown. Their collective behavior is scary imo. After watching the show yesterday, I had a stomach ache and felt sad the rest of the day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...mum-on-response-to-2007-deadly-home-invasion/

Indeed. Don't most murders from kidnappings occur within a relatively short time and distance from the abduction scene? I suppose LE only quotes statistics when it's convenient.

I wonder about stuff like this too. When is keeping info on the down low to protect the case versus to protect the egos of those with authority over the case.

I truly don't believe she left of her own accord. My biggest reason for thinking this is that why would she tell her partner she would be leaving early? If someone was disappearing, they would generally want a head start, or at the very least, stick to their usual habits.

By telling him she would be home earlier than usual, it gave her less of a window of opportunity to 'escape'. He would become worried much sooner than normal.

If I was to take off, I would probably be telling those I lived with that I had some errands to run, etc, so that I had more time before they started to worry.

The leaving early comment bugs me. I wish we had a better explanation as to the rules that apply to an employee closing the gas station. Back in the day when I worked retail, it wasn't up to me what time to close the store. I closed at the appointed time - period. Who else knew Jessica planned to close the store early? Because we know she was gone a half hour before closing time yet she hadn't closed yet. The comment seems like too much information that doesn't make any sense. Hinky imo.

The leaving early comment bugs me. I wish we had a better explanation as to the rules that apply to an employee closing the gas station. Back in the day when I worked retail, it wasn't up to me what time to close the store. I closed at the appointed time - period. Who else knew Jessica planned to close the store early? Because we know she was gone a half hour before closing time yet she hadn't closed yet. The comment seems like too much information that doesn't make any sense. Hinky imo.

I've wondered about this and am still not sure whether Jessica called her fiancé or he called her. Has anyone read or heard specifically who made the call during which Jessica tells Dakota when she'll be home? All I remember is that the two spoke before Jessica was to come home that night. Maybe LE doesn't want the public to know who made the call. :moo:

I've wondered about this and am still not sure whether Jessica called her fiancé or he called her. Has anyone read or heard specifically who made the call during which Jessica tells Dakota when she'll be home? All I remember is that the two spoke before Jessica was to come home that night. Maybe LE doesn't want the public to know who made the call. :moo:

My impression (not sure why) is that he called her. So, that call would involve their shared personal cell phone and the gas station phone.
Easy enough for LE to verify. If something doesn't match up, uh-oh!

It was Dakotah that called Jessica, as he stated that in a video that I posted recently. I will add that video to this post when I find it.

In this video at 12 seconds Dakotah says that he called Jessica. Jessica did not call him.
"No, just calling to see how work was going and uh you know just seeing how fast she was gonna be outta there..."

http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/01/mom-jessica-heeringa-likely-lured-from-work/

In this video of her mom & boyfriend; they think she knew the person either personally or from work. They feel that since she did not put up a fight; she didn't feel she was in danger. I wouldn't doubt that LE not seeing signs of a struggle would think or assume she went willingly.

Did she actually pump gas or take money? Pretty sure MI is self serve.
In the video above; they mention girls pumping gas; were the other female employees interviewed?

How do they know she didn't put up a fight, or struggle without knocking things over? A person can struggle and yet not leave a wake of broken or misplaced items behind. If there was even a small amount of blood, then she was hurt in some way to cause her to bleed, maybe a scratch on her arm or face, or from a hit on the forehead. Just because nothing seemed amiss, does not mean she left willingly. They could have had her neck in a chokehold and she couldn't struggle much. Doesn't mean she never struggled at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak