MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for all of you super-sleuthers. How common is it for a missing person not to be found mainly because of lazy/shoddy/inept police work? I really haven't followed many cases closely at all. TIA

I think that LE agencies are frequently blamed for the lack of progress in some cases, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they are responsible due to lazy, shoddy, and/or inept investigative work. In practically every "missing persons" case that I've followed, local LE has been blamed to some extent for failure to make arrests and/or file charges in a particular case simply because people feel the need to blame someone, and LE is the most likely target when folks become frustrated. LE is often at the mercy of a Prosecutor who is reluctant to move forward without sufficient evidence to prove their case. NSPD might very well have a POI whom they consider to be a prime suspect, but they don't have enough concrete evidence to insure a conviction. :moo:

I think that LE agencies are frequently blamed for the lack of progress in some cases, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they are responsible due to lazy, shoddy, and/or inept investigative work. In practically every "missing persons" case that I've followed, local LE has been blamed to some extent for failure to make arrests and/or file charges in a particular case simply because people feel the need to blame someone, and LE is the most likely target when folks become frustrated. LE is often at the mercy of a Prosecutor who is reluctant to move forward without sufficient evidence to prove their case. NSPD might very well have a POI whom they consider to be a prime suspect, but they don't have enough concrete evidence to insure a conviction. :moo:

So many locals are blaming NSPD, but I truly don't know what to think. The lack of searches and LE initiated publicity bothers me, but I am sure they are doing/have done many things we know nothing about. Still, we don't have Jessica, we don't have a suspect (according to NSPD), we don't have the van...they are all SOMEWHERE and it is NSPD job to find them and solve this case. I think we, as tax-paying members of the community, have the right to EXPECT victims to be found and criminals to be held accountable. I think NSPD has a duty to keep us safe and informed. We are certainly not safe, with a probable kidnapper on the loose. And I don't feel NSPD has done enough to keep us informed. I would say MOO, but clearly a large segment of our community feels the same.

IMO, LE could be out searching every day and still never find her. And often, that happens even when they have an idea of a possible starting point. I cannot remember the percentage but recently read an article posted here of how few missing persons are actually found during organized LE or professional searches, vs. by accident, and it was very low, something like 6%.

But often, as well, LE conducts searches and just doesn't announce it. In Dylan Redwine's case, once his remains were found (by LE and possibly by pings but we don't know) they admitted they had been conducting searches all along, when it seemed nothing was being done.

As far as keeping a case in the public eye, that is ALWAYS going to be the job of the family, that is just the way it is.

:seeya::seeya:
I followed the hannah anderson case from beginniong to end . It lasted one week. (could the fact 150 FBI men and 100 other LE were searching compared to 1 LE in NOrton Shores have anything to do witrh this?)
:rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster:

:seeya::seeya:
I followed the hannah anderson case from beginniong to end . It lasted one week. (could the fact 150 FBI men and 100 other LE were searching compared to 1 LE in NOrton Shores have anything to do witrh this?)
:rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster:

Well there were a LOT of LE searching for her in the first few months. Now it is down to one. I think if they are not getting a lot of tips, they do not have a lot of work to keep more busy. So the police can really only investigate what they are told about in a lot of cases. The tips stop coming in....
IMHO, I think the police put all their eggs in the one basket with the silver van, and people MAY have had suspicions or ideas that do not 'fit' with the van. So it was easy to dismiss their hunches. '
I guess we can just remember that the 3 girls who went missing ( and were found... ) In Ohio... those cases had to have gone cold too... no one was probably even investigating them. And that is a BIG city. Norton Shores is a small town, their LE had to have dusted off their textbooks on what to do in an abduction! If a case can go cold on experienced LE who have dealt with a lot of violent crime... I am sure a small LE dept would have to start out behind...

So many locals are blaming NSPD, but I truly don't know what to think. The lack of searches and LE initiated publicity bothers me, but I am sure they are doing/have done many things we know nothing about. Still, we don't have Jessica, we don't have a suspect (according to NSPD), we don't have the van...they are all SOMEWHERE and it is NSPD job to find them and solve this case. I think we, as tax-paying members of the community, have the right to EXPECT victims to be found and criminals to be held accountable. I think NSPD has a duty to keep us safe and informed. We are certainly not safe, with a probable kidnapper on the loose. And I don't feel NSPD has done enough to keep us informed. I would say MOO, but clearly a large segment of our community feels the same.

If I lived in the immediate area and was concerned about my safety and that of my family, I would definitely write to NSPD and let them know. If folks in the area aren't initiating contact with LE, how would they know how the public feels? If citizens in your community feel that LE hasn't done an acceptable job of solving the Jessica Heeringa case and that they are not keeping the public informed and insuring your safety, it needs to be communicated to NSPD and your local Congressional representatives. If folks choose to say nothing except to one another, nothing will be done. The squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

:moo:

"Gary L. Nelund
(Mayor)

Gary Nelund was elected Mayor on November 3, 2009 for a four-year term expiring in November of 2013. Mayor Nelund is a graduate of Mona Shores High School, Kalamazoo College and Western Michigan University. He is owner of Gary Nelund State Farm Insurance Agency. Mayor Nelund serves on numerous boards and committees in the community."

Phone: 231-798-4391
Fax: 231-798-7103
Email: gnelund@nortonshores.org

Here is the e-mail and phone number above for the Mayor of Norton Shores, Michigan.
Link below that I got the info from.

http://www.nortonshores.org/

http://origin.wzzm13.com/news/article/255380/2/Norton-Shores-Mayor-Citizens-should-not-be-afraid

From May 4th article and video......

"Norton Shores Mayor: Citizens should not be afraid".
"But the apparent abduction of this young mother is an anomaly in this quiet community, and its mayor says people should not be fearful. "

I wonder if the Mayor of Norton Shores still feels this way??

Ugh. This statement drives me CRAAAAZZZZYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, this was a targeted attack? That's pretty much what this statement implies, IMO.

Hello! I am quite new to the forums and to the sleuthing thing.

I live in Denmark which is far away from Norton Shores and I really don't have a clue about anything related to cases like these. But I will say that when I first read facts about the case I thought that the abduction occured just a week or mere days prior to me reading about it - I figured this should be pretty solvable!
Being completely clueless I thought first of all it's not normal to not have any surveillance at a gas station - especially one that is open in late hours. Is that normal for any first World country? Second I figured that the lights outside would not be turned off by Jessica until the doors were locked and she had closed for the night, so if the abductor did this I find it should be possible to find fingerprints or something else like fibres from clothes or hair or even blood (not Jessica's) if there was some sort of struggle. If there was no such evidence the abduction must have been planned and the abductor would have been there to check out the place and plan it thoroughly. He must have known when Jessica was going to leave, that it was a remote place at night (must have been with lack of surveillance and lack of useful witnesses), where the light switch was and he propably knew that there was no surveillance (unless this is normal in the US).

So I think - like others said - it must have been a regular at the gas station so shouldn't LE be able to retrieve creditcard transcripts and track possible suspects that way? I know the abductor could have paid in cash but... and do people have some sort of card to pay with outside if they just need gas for the car? Because that could also create a long list of possible suspects and in that case LE should go ahead and hurry up!

I know that none of this is rocket science and have been discussed already but it just seems pretty insane that LE has NOTHING to work with. It seems like they have nothing.

Hello! I am quite new to the forums and to the sleuthing thing.

I live in Denmark which is far away from Norton Shores and I really don't have a clue about anything related to cases like these. But I will say that when I first read facts about the case I thought that the abduction occured just a week or mere days prior to me reading about it - I figured this should be pretty solvable!
Being completely clueless I thought first of all it's not normal to not have any surveillance at a gas station - especially one that is open in late hours. Is that normal for any first World country? Second I figured that the lights outside would not be turned off by Jessica until the doors were locked and she had closed for the night, so if the abductor did this I find it should be possible to find fingerprints or something else like fibres from clothes or hair or even blood (not Jessica's) if there was some sort of struggle. If there was no such evidence the abduction must have been planned and the abductor would have been there to check out the place and plan it thoroughly. He must have known when Jessica was going to leave, that it was a remote place at night (must have been with lack of surveillance and lack of useful witnesses), where the light switch was and he propably knew that there was no surveillance (unless this is normal in the US).

So I think - like others said - it must have been a regular at the gas station so shouldn't LE be able to retrieve creditcard transcripts and track possible suspects that way? I know the abductor could have paid in cash but... and do people have some sort of card to pay with outside if they just need gas for the car? Because that could also create a long list of possible suspects and in that case LE should go ahead and hurry up!

I know that none of this is rocket science and have been discussed already but it just seems pretty insane that LE has NOTHING to work with. It seems like they have nothing.
Welcome, some good thoughts considering there have been thousands of posts already on this case. I like you angle on credit card transactions. In my world, most people use a credit card for purchases like gas and groceries etc., mainly for convenience.

Most gas stations allow you to enter your credit card at the pump. If the perp is local there would be a high probability that the he has used his credit card at that gas station before. Of course if he was smart he would have always used cash. There must be a way for the LE to analyze all credit card transactions over the past year. I would be looking for RSOs or criminals, or the individuals with the most credit card transactions, or transactions on every Friday night or during late hours. It's possible Friday night works well for his schedule. Why would you kidnap someone on Sunday night or Monday night knowing you have to go to work the next day if you are employed?

Thoughts?

Welcome, some good thoughts considering there have been thousands of posts already on this case. I like you angle on credit card transactions. In my world, most people use a credit card for purchases like gas and groceries etc., mainly for convenience.

Most gas stations allow you to enter your credit card at the pump. If the perp is local there would be a high probability that the he has used his credit card at that gas station before. Of course if he was smart he would have always used cash. There must be a way for the LE to analyze all credit card transactions over the past year. I would be looking for RSOs or criminals, or the individuals with the most credit card transactions, or transactions on every Friday night or during late hours. It's possible Friday night works well for his schedule. Why would you kidnap someone on Sunday night or Monday night knowing you have to go to work the next day if you are employed?

Thoughts?

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!
I guess we have to assume this has all been done. It seems like it would be a basic investigative tool, especially in the early weeks when NSPD had outside agencies helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasadams106048