MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what makes this case so tough. There is a lingering doubt that it could be someone else. Unless they can prove for sure.

I am still surprised the DNA could not be matched perfectly if it was him. I know she was in bath water but I would have thought they could have gotten a good DNA sample. There was something about the way the reported the results made me wonder if the tests were done properly. If LE kept any evidence I think it would be worth to retest the DNA on any samples they may have left.

-Inside gloves - They reported the gloves were intertwined so I think that mean that someone used one hand to take the glove off the other and it folded up inside the other glove which is what happens when taking off surgical gloves. Wondering if any sample of those gloves could be retested.

-retest any sample from body collected

-Did LE keep any objects from apartment like the key ring or something the perp would have touched. Retest that.

If I'm remember correctly, a zebra striped pillow case was missing from the start of the investigation. Also, there is a missing bathroom rug. YPD asked KT if she could locate it and she looked in the storage unit where all of Julia's stuff is being stored and it wasn't there. KT said she thought YPD collected it in the beginning, while YPD maintains it was with the family. This is an unfortunate loss for the investigation. I think YPD should have all of Julia's stuff in their possession and all tested for DNA. Julia's room was ransacked. Why they didn't collect everything, instead of having the family move it IDK.

If I'm remember correctly, a zebra striped pillow case was missing from the start of the investigation. Also, there is a missing bathroom rug. YPD asked KT if she could locate it and she looked in the storage unit where all of Julia's stuff is being stored and it wasn't there. KT said she thought YPD collected it in the beginning, while YPD maintains it was with the family. This is an unfortunate loss for the investigation. I think YPD should have all of Julia's stuff in their possession and all tested for DNA. Julia's room was ransacked. Why they didn't collect everything, instead of having the family move it IDK.

I agree -- seems like a pretty anemic effort :-( But at least in this case, unlike the one just before it at EMU, the school and LE did not cover it up.

The pillow case was taken by the perpetrator. It was immediately noted that the case was missing. The rug in the bathroom however, was not taken by the perp at the time of the murder (but possibly may have come back and taken it from the crime scene). It is on the crime scene photographs. It seems that nobody knows where it went. One certainly would think that the rug should have been collected. Did YPD screw up?

NEWS FOR EVERYONE: I just heard that the Turnquists are in the process of moving! Where? I've heard they may have moved to Ypsilanti to be away from Monroe. They had a "moving sale" last weekend and their house has been dark and probably vacant since then. Did they sell all of the items that may have been Julia's or from her apartment??? I don't know. Just thought I'd let everyone know what's happening in Monroe.

NEWS FOR EVERYONE: I just heard that the Turnquists are in the process of moving! Where? I've heard they may have moved to Ypsilanti to be away from Monroe. They had a "moving sale" last weekend and their house has been dark and probably vacant since then. Did they sell all of the items that may have been Julia's or from her apartment??? I don't know. Just thought I'd let everyone know what's happening in Monroe.

Do you know if JN (twin) moved with them? Just wondering because someone said she works in Monroe. I do wonder if JN (twin) stays in Monroe what effect this might have on Julia's case.

Do you know if JN (twin) moved with them? Just wondering because someone said she works in Monroe. I do wonder if JN (twin) stays in Monroe what effect this might have on Julia's case.

I believe that JN lives now with her boyfriend not with the Turnquists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that JN lives now with her boyfriend not with the Turnquists.

That would sure be news to me. She and her boyfriend (that I knew), broke up some months ago. He is currently in a relationship with another young lady. As far as I know, she (JN) is not in a current relationship. JN did have an apartment in Monroe and did have a lease. I'll try to verify this and get back with you.

Juliia's sister and her ex are listed under the same address on whitepages.But I did not know they had split up. His FB profile pic is with another woman (who looks like. J&J). Anyway it seems that she is not living with the turnquists.

Here's an article about last night's kidnapping (and release) of a man who lives in Julia's complex:

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...e_stop_man_with_gun_in_re.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Police interrupted a struggle involving two men and a gun in an Ypsilanti apartment complex stairwell Monday night.

The incident was the culmination of a kidnapping and robbery attempt at the Peninsular Place apartment complex, police said.

Police were called for a kidnapping in progress about 6:40 p.m. Monday, Nov. 9, in the 900 block of Railroad Street in Ypsilanti, according to a release from the Ypsilanti Police Department.

I wonder if anyone on this site would care to enlighten us as to where the Turnquists moved to. I do believe it's just a matter of time before we find out but again, the most important thing is for them to start talking to LE to help solve Julia's murder. I will never understand why they are not cooperating every chance they get to solve her murder. They either know something or just don't care to know exactly who killed Julia and why they did it. Can anyone explain why a mother whose daughter has been murdered would not help LE as much and as often as possible? Why wouldn't a step dad who said he really loved her, not cooperate all the time, especially if he has nothing to hide and he is not involved? Questions like these keep me up most nights, trying to understand why no continued cooperation. If there is nothing to hide and you are innocent, why not talk to LE and get yourself "cleared". Possibly they are really liking being in the spotlight and once "cleared" they will not be news worthy or in the public's eye. I hope and pray each and every day that LE will solve this crime even though the parents will not cooperate as much as they should. Justice for Julia is what I hope and pray for each and every day.

I wonder if anyone on this site would care to enlighten us as to where the Turnquists moved to. I do believe it's just a matter of time before we find out but again, the most important thing is for them to start talking to LE to help solve Julia's murder. I will never understand why they are not cooperating every chance they get to solve her murder. They either know something or just don't care to know exactly who killed Julia and why they did it. Can anyone explain why a mother whose daughter has been murdered would not help LE as much and as often as possible? Why wouldn't a step dad who said he really loved her, not cooperate all the time, especially if he has nothing to hide and he is not involved? Questions like these keep me up most nights, trying to understand why no continued cooperation. If there is nothing to hide and you are innocent, why not talk to LE and get yourself "cleared". Possibly they are really liking being in the spotlight and once "cleared" they will not be news worthy or in the public's eye. I hope and pray each and every day that LE will solve this crime even though the parents will not cooperate as much as they should. Justice for Julia is what I hope and pray for each and every day.

Someone said KT transferred to YPSI for work, so if she is still working at that location I would think they moved to Washtenaw County. It was mentioned JT had a cleaning account in Milan, at an apartment complex. Could they have taken a place at the complex where he cleans? They have a dog? Seems a yard is needed. Maybe they are buying or renting a house in Washtenaw County? Could KT have transferred again to another location?

Whatever is going on, they seem to want to get out of Monroe. Would there be more to run from in Monroe? By leaving the family home they are off LE's radar for while, since it will take a while to catch up with the new address. With JT being the only public POI in Julia's case, I'm going to speculate, people in Monroe watch him like a hawk around town.

There are at least 6 apartment complexes in Milan Mi listed online: Bay View Apartments, Culver Estates, Parkside Lane, Milan Village Apartments, Milan Pines and Canfield Crossing. There may be more too.

I think they would not likely be in Washtenaw County, since that is where Julia's case is centered. If they want "off the radar", they would get out of both Monroe and Washtenaw Counties. LE either knows where they are, or will find them if they are needed.

I think they would not likely be in Washtenaw County, since that is where Julia's case is centered. If they want "off the radar", they would get out of both Monroe and Washtenaw Counties. LE either knows where they are, or will find them if they are needed.

I agree with Spellbound. Is KT still working at the same store?

Yeah, that is odd. They were settled at a home in Monroe County and seem to have fled. It would seem that Washtenaw County would be "hotter" than Monroe County at this point in terms of LE, but maybe there is stuff we do not know. Also, where did JT stay when he was out of the house? Was he still in Monroe County? Did he rent a place or stay with friends or relatives? Maybe KT is still in YPSI for work and wanted to move closer to avoid a long commute?

I know it was said once that KT wanted to transfer to YPSI to find Julia's killer. Maybe being closer KT will be able to generate more leads for YPD to follow up on.

One thing we do know is that it's probable per DNA analysis: the person(s) responsible for Julia's death is male, and has had a vasectomy. So, IMO..this is not a young EMU student. Also, as far as we know, there was no sign of forced entry. IMO..still this just isn't looking like a random attack. Somehow, this is someone who was connected to Julia, who is older than she.

JT or KT not cooperating with YPD is frustrating. But still I think this can be solved without their cooperation.

The only other ongoing problem JT has in Monroe County is a PPTO against him for entering GR's home without permission and threatening her, I believe, with her life, early on in the investigation. I would assume he threatened her because she suspected him of knowing something about Julia's murder.

Just wanted to better explain what I meant about how surgical gloves get intertwined when taking them off. It happens to me all the time when I spray for bugs and to me it proves that 1 person handled BOTH gloves.

Here is what happens when trying to take off surgical gloves.
They are tight fitting around the hands so....
For example lets say you start with your right hand and go to take off the left hand glove first then here is what happens.....

You pinch with your thumb and forefinger (of right hand) and pinch underneath wrist area of left hand and then pull the left hand glove off. It flips inside out in the process.

Now, since you don't want to touch the glove, you still have it pinched between your thumb and forefinger (of right hand) and you still have to remove the right hand glove so you take your left hand and go underneath the wrist area of the right hand and as you roll it inside out and OFF, it captures the other glove you have pinched and both gloves come off in a pile as you throw it on the floor. They always get intertwined and in a bunch. And they both are inside-out.

It happens to me every time I take off surgical gloves that I use when spraying poison on bugs.

That is how the gloves got intertwined because I am guessing the suspect did not want to touch the outside of the gloves. I am a little confused why he left the gloves there at all so maybe that was a mistake and he dropped them when leaving.

I am just surprised that LE was not able to get GOOD DNA from inside those gloves. Because whenever I wear them I immediately begin sweating inside the gloves.

Now if someone wanted to frame someone else and they ended up seeing a pair of gloves like that then another person could have picked them up with their own gloves on and deposited them in the apartment to throw off investigators. But that seems like a lot of trouble for someone that would have just committed a crime like that. I am leaning towards the perp themselves wearing those gloves during the crime. Which again makes me wonder why DNA wasn't able to be obtained from the gloves.

I really do think another round of DNA testing needs performed. Maybe they had some new beginners doing the DNA testing and maybe they should REDO the testing. Especially on the gloves because if they were flipped inside out like I think they were then the person testing the gloves may have not got samples from the right side of the glove.

The area that sweats the most is right around the back of the wrist and palm areas.

I really do think everything needs retested for DNA for whatever they have. I was not too confident hearing about the way they explained the DNA results. Seemed like maybe simple mistakes were made in the testing.

All JMO of course.

Just wanted to better explain what I meant about how surgical gloves get intertwined when taking them off. It happens to me all the time when I spray for bugs and to me it proves that 1 person handled BOTH gloves.

Here is what happens when trying to take off surgical gloves.
They are tight fitting around the hands so....
For example lets say you start with your right hand and go to take off the left hand glove first then here is what happens.....

You pinch with your thumb and forefinger (of right hand) and pinch underneath wrist area of left hand and then pull the left hand glove off. It flips inside out in the process.

Now, since you don't want to touch the glove, you still have it pinched between your thumb and forefinger (of right hand) and you still have to remove the right hand glove so you take your left hand and go underneath the wrist area of the right hand and as you roll it inside out and OFF, it captures the other glove you have pinched and both gloves come off in a pile as you throw it on the floor. They always get intertwined and in a bunch. And they both are inside-out.

It happens to me every time I take off surgical gloves that I use when spraying poison on bugs.

That is how the gloves got intertwined because I am guessing the suspect did not want to touch the outside of the gloves. I am a little confused why he left the gloves there at all so maybe that was a mistake and he dropped them when leaving.

I am just surprised that LE was not able to get GOOD DNA from inside those gloves. Because whenever I wear them I immediately begin sweating inside the gloves.

Now if someone wanted to frame someone else and they ended up seeing a pair of gloves like that then another person could have picked them up with their own gloves on and deposited them in the apartment to throw off investigators. But that seems like a lot of trouble for someone that would have just committed a crime like that. I am leaning towards the perp themselves wearing those gloves during the crime. Which again makes me wonder why DNA wasn't able to be obtained from the gloves.

I really do think another round of DNA testing needs performed. Maybe they had some new beginners doing the DNA testing and maybe they should REDO the testing. Especially on the gloves because if they were flipped inside out like I think they were then the person testing the gloves may have not got samples from the right side of the glove.

The area that sweats the most is right around the back of the wrist and palm areas.

I really do think everything needs retested for DNA for whatever they have. I was not too confident hearing about the way they explained the DNA results. Seemed like maybe simple mistakes were made in the testing.

All JMO of course.

Regarding the gloves, I think they got a good DNA sample from them, but it doesn't match anyone who has been tested. There were two men's DNA on the gloves. The one who was wearing them and another man who must have touched the glove(s) somehow. The DNA of the other male was too weak to know who it was. I'm speculating this is why LE thought someone might have planted the gloves, trying to be careful not to touch the gloves, but still left a little DNA, just not enough to compare.

The only other ongoing problem JT has in Monroe County is a PPTO against him for entering GR's home without permission and threatening her, I believe, with her life, early on in the investigation. I would assume he threatened her because she suspected him of knowing something about Julia's murder.

Could you please share the link for the news article referring to this bit of info? Thanks in advance.

Could you please share the link for the news article referring to this bit of info? Thanks in advance.

I don't believe there is a news article, it just was reported here on the pages of the thread at one time. I can't recall who said it, though.

ETA: seems I was one among several who posted this statement at one time. Here is one article with the info you asked about, Dazed: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...vided-suspicions-emu-students-death/70199372/

Monroe County sheriff's deputies arrested him the next day, Detective Sgt. Jeff Pauli said. He was charged with possessing child sexually abusive material.
A day later, Julia's grandmother, Rose Niswender, filed a personal protection order alleging James Turnquist threatened to "take out" her in December 2012. She also accused him of entering her home without permission around that same time, according to the PPO, which was granted.
BBM

ETA 2: The PPO is also mentioned in his article http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/09/documents_detail_allegations_a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member