MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It will be 8 years next month and still no arrests and the possibility of that happening looks less and less each and every day that passes. The Ypsilanti Police Dept (YPD) will not submit the required one nanogram of DNA to Parabon Labs for their genetic testing which could result in solving this crime. Why not?? Maybe their initial CSI work did not collect enough DNA but yet they had enough for the Michigan State Police Crime Lab to check and build a profile to check agains CODIS. That lab also requires one nanogram of DNA for their testing. I am starting to firmly believe the YPD original CSI work was not done as well as it could have been. Two years after her murder, the detective was asking Julia's mom if she had a purple rug from the bathroom that was in the crime scene photos! That rug is no where to be found. I firmly believe the YPD released the crime scene too early for the apartment to be "cleaned out" by Julia's family. Her body was found Tuesday evening and the apartment was released by noon on Thursday. Rather quick don't you think. We can not go back in time but only go forward which is why the YPD should take advantage of Parabon Labs testing. I pray for resolution each and every night. Julia deserves justice! I can not believe the Perp is still out there walking around. For all I know, he may be dead already! We need Justice for Julia and resolution for her family.

I know this has got to be so unsettling, not knowing who took Julia’s life. Do you know if Julia’s case is a cold case, or still actively being investigated?
I recall back in the Fall of 2018, your family, Julia’s Mom Kim, twin sister Jennifer and other family members met with the Chief of Police. After that meeting the Chief said that the only person he wanted to talk with was Julia’s Mom. So does Kim Turnquist keep in contact with Chief, especially if the Chief won’t talk to anyone else about Julia’s case?

:+:MrTT:+:, Apr 17, 2017 Controversy post when i made it back in 17. It may get deleted now. I've notice the mods are deleted my posts from time to time over time, which makes it much harder to remember the mind set when things were posted.

I just read your post from April 17, 2017.
Makes me wonder now as well.
Here is your post.

:+:MrTT:+:Cold Case Files
I have read very little. But if you would like a theory outside the box. Perhaps wayyyyyyy outside the box. I can do that.
I know from most i have read the focus has been on the step father and i am not trying to change that. Just posting outside the box.

November 8 2012 Obama won his second term.
On 11/25/12...This was posted
Sixth Circuit’s Civil Rights decision holds

Julia responding to it with this.
Julia Niswender, a junior studying communications and film studies, disagreed.
[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]“I think it’s wrong,” Niswender said. “Everyone should be treated equal, and getting rid of it doesn’t seem fair.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]IF that was published on the 25th, Julia gave her answer/opinion perhaps a few days earlier.

On December 10 2012 she was found dead. Fifteen days after the article was published. Two weeks lets say.
I read she did date non whites. Which I took that to mean blacks?

Julia disagreed about letting blacks into the college based on their race. Which at the time with all going on with PC politics and so forth , a statement from a white person would/mayhave some calling her racist. A sign at the times. And yet she dated/interests in black men.

From what i read about the crime scene. Strange that she was binded they say with hands behind her back, and mayber ankles. But they mentioned her clothes were cut off? Why bind her and THEN cut her clothes off. Not of them i read just parts of her clothing, but why? Why not remove them first and then bind her?? Just seems strange to me, to bind her and then cut her clothes instead of removing htem and then binding her.

I read her phone/cell phone was found underneath her in the tub. Could have been laying on the edge of the tub and fail in. Or was on her person, when put in the tub after having her clothes cut off and fail in.

Did Julia run the water, and was preparing to take a bath. Or did the killer/killers run the water while she was bound and then cut off parts of her clothing and then put her in the tub along with the cell phone.??

Perhaps she heard an entruder and ran to the bathroom and was going to call 911 and they broke in on her and through it in the tub and didnot remove it when they filled it with water?

Which would explain her clothes being cut. They got in the bathroom bind her, tossed the phone in the , fail in whatever and filled it with water, and then cut her cloths off, parts of them for whatever reason before placing her face down in the tub covering her cell phone with her body.

But before i read how she was found, about the clothing being cut and some removed from her, I had imagine she was already in the tub, soaking in it and perhaps browsing her cell phone while she was soaking. And someone broke in on her while she was in the tub and she dropped it in the tub or they knocked it out of her hands and it fail in.
But I guess thats not what happened.

As I said at the top this is nothing more than an out of the box speculation based on what little I have read. [/FONT]

this fall I started doing mini podcast episodes for 93.1 Detroit's New Country The episodes air Tuesday mornings and are available to listen to online afterward. This week, 12-8-20, I am featuring Julia's case.

Julia's family was put through the ringer with this case, still hoping for justice and recommending that if you have info, contact CrimeStoppers!

this fall I started doing mini podcast episodes for 93.1 Detroit's New Country The episodes air Tuesday mornings and are available to listen to online afterward. This week, 12-8-20, I am featuring Julia's case.

Julia's family was put through the ringer with this case, still hoping for justice and recommending that if you have info, contact CrimeStoppers!

Thanks for the heads up, will you be interviewing anyone? I hope so, it would be nice to hear from Julia's family or friends. I don't understand why YPSI PD has never done a press release.
How do we watch your podcast, is it via YouTube or on the Facebook New Country 93.1 ??

Thanks for the heads up, will you be interviewing anyone? I hope so, it would be nice to hear from Julia's family or friends. I don't understand why YPSI PD has never done a press release.
How do we watch your podcast, is it via YouTube or on the Facebook New Country 93.1 ??
I originally discussed Julia's case in the fall of 2017. 66 Murder at Eastern - The Death of Julia Niswender - Already Gone Podcast - Omny.fm

The mini episode (no interview) will release at 7:10a on Tuesday on the station, they make audio available on social media within 24 hours

Article on the sad anniversary of Julia's murder, now unsolved for eight years. The Mom hammers the Ypsilanti police for not accepting outside assistance from organizations such as Parabon Labs, who have solved so many cases with their amazing technology. She remains steadfastly supportive of her husband, James Turnquist, who was named a POI in Julia's case, but never a suspect:
Eastern Michigan University student’s slaying remains unsolved 8 years later

Amateur opinion and speculation

Can you read the article? If I click the link it wants me to sign up for membership.
I signed in with FB and could read it...then I deleted them from FB. ; )

Keep your eye open on clickondetroit, I hear there will be something there as well later today

Last edited:
Last edited:
I’m glad to see that there was the article in MLive and the Detroit 4 interview. I still can’t believe that the YPSI police won’t do any media updates. I did catch in the Detroit interview that Julia’s twin sister Jennifer said she did call and get an update from YPSI, but not sure if she spoke with the Chief or the detective. It didn’t say if Julia’s Mom has been communicating with the police. after 8 years, you would think that YPSI would be more willing to let some fresh eyes look at Julia’s case. Thanks Roses for sharing

Article on the sad anniversary of Julia's murder, now unsolved for eight years. The Mom hammers the Ypsilanti police for not accepting outside assistance from organizations such as Parabon Labs, who have solved so many cases with their amazing technology. She remains steadfastly supportive of her husband, James Turnquist, who was named a POI in Julia's case, but never a suspect:
Eastern Michigan University student’s slaying remains unsolved 8 years later

Woah....I was just rereading this article, and I missed something the first time.

Julia's mother and step-father got divorced.

People get divorced all the time, and especially people who have been through this extraordinary type of stress, but I had missed that. Julia's mother is still defending her now ex.

What is he doing these days, and is he still a POI in this murder, or has he been absolved? It's hard to believe Julia's Mom would defend an ex unless she was convinced of his innocence.

I certainly agree with the comments of all the family members interviewed; Ypsilanti police has had eight years to work on this case. While I'm sure the family appreciates their efforts, it would be beneficial to augment these efforts with experts who will bring "fresh eyes", as the family said. I hope they do so. This family has been through enough. They need some new vigor with regard to investigative efforts.

I would think that EMU would want this killer to be found as well. They don't need a maniac roaming around their college town attacking and killing co-eds. I wonder what efforts they are taking to help with Justice for Julia?

I am disappointed in not only the Ypsilanti Police but also Kim & Jim Turnquist. The Ypsilanti Police do not provide public press releases concerning the case and the parents have not and will not provide formal written statements to the police. Why? It has been more than eight years and yet nothing from the parents. As far as I know, Jim Turnquist is still a "person of interest" until Ypsilanti says otherwise. Why haven't the Ypsilanti Police utilized any "outside" help? Are they trying to hide something? Maybe they don't want any of their "mistakes" made during the initial investigation to be discovered by an outside agency? You really have to wonder why they would not welcome any and all assistance after eight years and still no results! Isn't the ultimate goal to solve this crime and bring the person or persons responsible to justice? I hope and pray each and every night for resolution and Justice for Julia.

I am disappointed in not only the Ypsilanti Police but also Kim & Jim Turnquist. The Ypsilanti Police do not provide public press releases concerning the case and the parents have not and will not provide formal written statements to the police. Why? It has been more than eight years and yet nothing from the parents. As far as I know, Jim Turnquist is still a "person of interest" until Ypsilanti says otherwise. Why haven't the Ypsilanti Police utilized any "outside" help? Are they trying to hide something? Maybe they don't want any of their "mistakes" made during the initial investigation to be discovered by an outside agency? You really have to wonder why they would not welcome any and all assistance after eight years and still no results! Isn't the ultimate goal to solve this crime and bring the person or persons responsible to justice? I hope and pray each and every night for resolution and Justice for Julia.
Here is a good Department of Justice article on this very topic: The Crisis of Cold Cases

With the limited resources that Ypsilanti has, they have done everything they can, and I'm sure you appreciate their efforts to date.

However, I agree. People like CeCe Moore and Parabon Labs are doing some amazing work with cold cases, and should be brought in as consultants on this case. In addition, you are right. There is a far higher chance of this crime being solved if all family members are routinely submitting to questioning, and requisitioning from law enforcement. LE needs help putting together all the personality puzzle pieces as it relates to Julia's habits and life, and her activities leading up to that horrible day. There could be one tiny little piece of information that could break this case wide open.

Here is a good Department of Justice article on this very topic: The Crisis of Cold Cases

With the limited resources that Ypsilanti has, they have done everything they can, and I'm sure you appreciate their efforts to date.

However, I agree. People like CeCe Moore and Parabon Labs are doing some amazing work with cold cases, and should be brought in as consultants on this case. In addition, you are right. There is a far higher chance of this crime being solved if all family members are routinely submitting to questioning, and requisitioning from law enforcement. LE needs help putting together all the personality puzzle pieces as it relates to Julia's habits and life, and her activities leading up to that horrible day. There could be one tiny little piece of information that could break this case wide open.

Thanks for sharing this Crisis of Cold Cases... if only the YPSI investigators would be open to opening up Julia’s case to more help. Fresh eyes may be just the thing to solve her murder. She deserves justice.
I keep going back to what Julia said to her grandma Rose... That she was not ever going back to her Mom and Step Dads house. I think the Grandma said that Julia had been at her Moms house helping decorate the Christmas tree, and spend time with her family, twin sister and 1/2 sister. But when she arrived at her Grandma Roses house, she seemed upset, when asked what’s wrong, Julia said, she didn’t want to talk about OR she can’t really talk about it. But in time, Julia just said that she was not ever going there again.
I just wish we knew WHY, what happened that day at the Turnquist home that would make Julia say that?
Then a few days later she’s found dead in her bathtub. ‍♀️

Thanks for sharing this Crisis of Cold Cases... if only the YPSI investigators would be open to opening up Julia’s case to more help. Fresh eyes may be just the thing to solve her murder. She deserves justice.
I keep going back to what Julia said to her grandma Rose... That she was not ever going back to her Mom and Step Dads house. I think the Grandma said that Julia had been at her Moms house helping decorate the Christmas tree, and spend time with her family, twin sister and 1/2 sister. But when she arrived at her Grandma Roses house, she seemed upset, when asked what’s wrong, Julia said, she didn’t want to talk about OR she can’t really talk about it. But in time, Julia just said that she was not ever going there again.
I just wish we knew WHY, what happened that day at the Turnquist home that would make Julia say that?
Then a few days later she’s found dead in her bathtub. ‍♀️
Perhaps Julia confided in someone who has shared that conversation with LE. We, or course, would have no way of knowing that. There may be others who have information, and are yet to come forward.

I have read in various places, to include this message board, that Julia worked at Walmart, possibly a tanning salon (maybe within the Walmart?), as well as did some work for her step-father, Jim Turnquist, who seems to have owned his own small-business cleaning company. These would have all been, presumably, minimum-wage jobs.

I have also read, in various articles, that while Julia’s room appeared to have been ransacked, there were some valuable items left behind, like an iPod and a TV. There were also wrapped Christmas presents, presumably from Julia to her family/friends.

In the Darcie Moran-MLive article from 2017, Moran says that in the wake of Julia’s death in December of 2012, her family “unwrap[ped] the Ugg boots, clothes and laptop she'd [Julia] wrapped as gifts.” It seems to me that those items would be very much out of the price range of a 23-year-old college student, working a couple of minimum wage jobs.

This is dispositive of nothing, but nevertheless I thought it was an interesting piece that I had not seen mentioned elsewhere. Where did Julia get the money to purchase such gifts, and could that answer be at all related to her murder?

I have read in various places, to include this message board, that Julia worked at Walmart, possibly a tanning salon (maybe within the Walmart?), as well as did some work for her step-father, Jim Turnquist, who seems to have owned his own small-business cleaning company. These would have all been, presumably, minimum-wage jobs.

I have also read, in various articles, that while Julia’s room appeared to have been ransacked, there were some valuable items left behind, like an iPod and a TV. There were also wrapped Christmas presents, presumably from Julia to her family/friends.

In the Darcie Moran-MLive article from 2017, Moran says that in the wake of Julia’s death in December of 2012, her family “unwrap[ped] the Ugg boots, clothes and laptop she'd [Julia] wrapped as gifts.” It seems to me that those items would be very much out of the price range of a 23-year-old college student, working a couple of minimum wage jobs.

This is dispositive of nothing, but nevertheless I thought it was an interesting piece that I had not seen mentioned elsewhere. Where did Julia get the money to purchase such gifts, and could that answer be at all related to her murder?

Interesting, I’m guessing she would have had a charge card, she was 23 years old. Somewhere I think I had read, that the laptop gift was a gift from the twins to their step father, Jim Turnquist. I also recall that It being mentioned that Jim Turnquist lap top had disappeared, not sure what the date was that LE had a warrant to search the Turnquist home, and the lap top that was given to Jim T. Was not found. I believe that was the day that he ran to his DoJo and he was arrested.
So many unanswered questions. I hope that Julia’s case will be solved. Reading all these posts in here, from people who knew her or her family, my heart goes out to them

An insightful question.
Any CPA will boast they know more about their clients than the family priest.
Agree that an unknown income source is a possibility, or perhaps the subject was generous and ran up her credit card to a fault. Regardless, much could be learned from financial forensics no doubt.

The tanning salon was a stand alone business in Monroe, Michigan. I don't believe Julia had recently worked there. Monroe is 35 miles or so from Ypsilanti, where Eastern Michigan University is located. The laptop was a gift from Julia and her twin sister. Julia had a descent job and would save her money for items she really wanted. I believe the investigators have examined her financial background years ago.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89
Back