MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Family still seeking justice as 2012 murder of Eastern Michigan University student remains unsolved

''Julia was 23-years-old when the Eastern Michigan University student was found dead in her Ypsilanti apartment on Dec. 11, 2012.
She was bound and in the bathtub. Police said she died from asphyxiation associated with drowning.''

“It’s not an impossibility. A new person with a new set of eyes looks at the case and maybe sees something that they missed,” said Julia’s grandfather, James Niswender.

The family is still seeking justice for Julia. They want anyone who knows anything to speak up.

“Somebody must know some details that could be a clue that breaks the case wide open,” James Niswender said.

“They can speak up if they have ever heard the littlest thing,” Turnquist said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-Speak-Up.''

I haven't been in here for a while, but hope you all had a good & safe Holiday season, and 2022 will be the year that we see an arrest in Julia's Case. Just wondering, if anything at all is being done in the investigation, or are they just waiting for DNA to solve her case. Gotta wonder if the original investigation was done well. I know it probably won't hurt if the whole family and friends fully cooperated with LE.

I haven't been in here for a while, but hope you all had a good & safe Holiday season, and 2022 will be the year that we see an arrest in Julia's Case. Just wondering, if anything at all is being done in the investigation, or are they just waiting for DNA to solve her case. Gotta wonder if the original investigation was done well. I know it probably won't hurt if the whole family and friends fully cooperated with LE.
You're right in that on the surface, this case seems ice cold. We can only hope that behind the scenes LE is still committed to finding the Perp(s) that murdered Julia. A heinous crime like this one can't be the first, or the last, a vicious predator would commit. For Julia's sake, and the safety of the public, the rabid Perp(s) must be removed from society, where they can't harm anyone else.

I agree with you that having the entire family working cooperatively together is most important. Without the family cooperation, it is not impossible, but highly unlikely the crime will ever be solved.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Alright, I just recently learned of this case from a podcast. But to me, it sounds like LE screwed everything up by tunnel-visioning on the stepfather and alienating the family in the process. The case against JT seems to revolve almost entirely around the fact that he had a vasectomy, which is a bizarre thing to fixate upon, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure that JT is innocent, but if I had to put money on it, that's definitely what I'd bet on. Especially since, if I understand this case correctly, JT can only be guilty if the mother KT is lying, since she is his alibi witness. And I don't see any reason to believe that KT is lying.

Last edited:
Person who murdered Eastern Michigan student 9 years ago still hasn’t been caught (clickondetroit.com)

Julia Niswender killed in off-campus Ypsilanti apartment in December 2012

YPSILANTI, Mich. – The family of an Eastern Michigan student who was found murdered in an off-campus apartment bathtub nearly a decade ago is still waiting for her killer to be captured.

When Julia Niswender was killed more than nine years ago, police collected DNA evidence at the scene. But they have yet to find a match that would crack this cold case.

“She loved her family,” Niswender’s mother, Kim, said. “She loved her friends. She loved life. She just wanted to go to school, work and have a good time.”

Julia Niswender wasn’t the type of person who would miss a friend’s Christmas party or fail to show up for work, so a few days passed without anyone hearing from her, they feared the worst.

“That was immediately a red flag for me, and my heart just started racing,” her twin sister, Jennifer Niswender, said...

Last edited:
Person who murdered Eastern Michigan student 9 years ago still hasn’t been caught (clickondetroit.com)

Julia Niswender killed in off-campus Ypsilanti apartment in December 2012

YPSILANTI, Mich. – The family of an Eastern Michigan student who was found murdered in an off-campus apartment bathtub nearly a decade ago is still waiting for her killer to be captured.

When Julia Niswender was killed more than nine years ago, police collected DNA evidence at the scene. But they have yet to find a match that would crack this cold case.

“She loved her family,” Niswender’s mother, Kim, said. “She loved her friends. She loved life. She just wanted to go to school, work and have a good time.”

Julia Niswender wasn’t the type of person who would miss a friend’s Christmas party or fail to show up for work, so a few days passed without anyone hearing from her, they feared the worst.

“That was immediately a red flag for me, and my heart just started racing,” her twin sister, Jennifer Niswender, said...

I thought it was a well done segment, and I hope there will be more.

Did the segment say that only a pillowcase and dresser drawer were taken? That seems very odd. Both of those things could be used for carrying other items, but what, if nothing else was missing?
Yes. I have to think about the drawer; that’s an unexpected item to remove. Purposeful.
If it was her underwater drawer that will be especially creepy.

amateur opinion and speculation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stouts4life
Back