Found Deceased MI - Kevin Bacon, 25, met someone online, Swartz Creek, 24 Dec 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear here, custodial interference doesn't necessarily mean the victim was his child does it? Odds are it was, I was just pondering it may not have been.

Can anyone clarify?

Yes, it does involve a child. He's divorced with children.

Kidnapping – Custodial Interference | The Law Offices of Daniel J. Harris, P.C.
MICHIGAN PENAL CODE
750.350a Taking or retaining child by adoptive or natural parent; intent; violation as felony; penalty; restitution for financial expense; effect of pleading or being found guilty; probation; discharge and dismissal; nonpublic record; defense.

Questions cleared up. Court refused to let him use the fake name in signing documents and in the proceeding. Parental kidnapping of kid with ex-wife.

"He tried to give a fake name in court Monday, telling a judge he was actually Edgar Thomas Hill and that Mark Latunski is his nephew. But the judge dismissed Latunski's identity and proceeded with arraignment.

Latunski also signed court documents with a different fake name when given his advise of rights. Once again the court corrected it for him.

"He's trying to claim an incompetent claim. He's done that in the past and he's pursuing that avenue," said Karl Bacon, who is Kevin's father. "But the prosecutor, the police have definitely identified who he is."

Latunski was charged with parental kidnapping in 2013 for keeping two of his children more than 24 hours after they were ordered to be returned to their mom, who is his ex-wife."

Strange situation with 29-year-old brought police to murder suspect's house in November

Yes, it does involve a child. He's divorced with children.

Kidnapping – Custodial Interference | The Law Offices of Daniel J. Harris, P.C.
MICHIGAN PENAL CODE
750.350a Taking or retaining child by adoptive or natural parent; intent; violation as felony; penalty; restitution for financial expense; effect of pleading or being found guilty; probation; discharge and dismissal; nonpublic record; defense.
Thanks, I could have sworn I'd seen a case where custodial interference didn't involve the victim being offspring or adoptive offspring.

Maybe it's different in other states. Or more likely I just got that wrong.

Very well stated and I agree. It'll be hard to justify that level of impairment given the circumstances (sexual, BDSM, history of prior victim running from home, online presence, etc). The prior case involved child custodial kidnapping, which also may have required a different burden of impairment.

His last public post on FB implies he was paranoid about the ingredients/chemicals in health store products and does potentially support JA's recent claims.
Olykos Kai Lukas

In his kidnapping case, he successfully claimed incompetence, which I believe means that he was unable to understand the proceedings against him or that he was unable to rationally participate in his defense. Competence can be restored, as was the case here. In contrast, I believe insanity is a complete defense, meaning a defendant couldn’t have committed the offense because he or she was incapable of forming the requisite intent to commit it. Again, I’m not an attorney, so if I’m wrong, someone please correct my understanding.

I did see his paranoid Facebook post about the chemicals in health store products. I have little doubt that something is not quite right about him, but he would have a hard time convincing me that he doesn’t know right from wrong. Fortunately for him, I’m not the one who gets to judge that.

Thanks, I could have sworn I'd seen a case where custodial interference didn't involve the victim being offspring or adoptive offspring.

Maybe it's different in other states. Or more likely I just got that wrong.
I believe I've seen the same so I don't think you have it wrong. I just didn't see it in that Michigan legal definition. I've heard of it in situations when other adult family members assisted with the interference (grandparents, etc). But in this case, it was his own children.

Questions cleared up. Court refused to let him use the fake name in signing documents and in the proceeding. Parental kidnapping of kid with ex-wife.

"He tried to give a fake name in court Monday, telling a judge he was actually Edgar Thomas Hill and that Mark Latunski is his nephew. But the judge dismissed Latunski's identity and proceeded with arraignment.

Latunski also signed court documents with a different fake name when given his advise of rights. Once again the court corrected it for him.

"He's trying to claim an incompetent claim. He's done that in the past and he's pursuing that avenue," said Karl Bacon, who is Kevin's father. "But the prosecutor, the police have definitely identified who he is."

Latunski was charged with parental kidnapping in 2013 for keeping two of his children more than 24 hours after they were ordered to be returned to their mom, who is his ex-wife."

Strange situation with 29-year-old brought police to murder suspect's house in November

I agree with Mr. Bacon: This guy is trying to claim incompetence again. I guess he figures it worked before so why not try again. I think it’s a tough claim to prove, and the burden of proof is on him, I believe.

In his kidnapping case, he successfully claimed incompetence, which I believe means that he was unable to understand the proceedings against him or that he was unable to rationally participate in his defense. Competence can be restored, as was the case here. In contrast, I believe insanity is a complete defense, meaning a defendant couldn’t have committed the offense because he or she was incapable of forming the requisite intent to commit it. Again, I’m not an attorney, so if I’m wrong, someone please correct my understanding.

I did see his paranoid Facebook post about the chemicals in health store products. I have little doubt that something is not quite right about him, but he would have a hard time convincing me that he doesn’t know right from wrong. Fortunately for him, I’m not the one who gets to judge that.

Thanks for clarifying- that makes a lot of sense regarding competence v insanity. I do not envy the forensic psychologist that will be evaluating his sanity.

Shiawassee County man charged with murder, mutilation of missing 25-year-old man

CORUNNA — A Bennington Township man has been charged with the murder of a Flint-area man who was reported missing on Christmas Eve.

Mark Latunski, 50, was arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of murder and mutilation and disinterment of a body in connection with the death of 25-year-old Kevin Bacon, of Swartz Creek.

Bacon was found dead Saturday in Latunski's house in Bennington Township in Shiawassee County, according to Michigan State Police. He;d been seen last on Christmas Eve

Read more: Missing 25-year-old Michigan man found dead in Shiawassee County

His car was found in Clayton Township, near Flint, but there were no clues as to where he went.

Michigan State Police responded to a call at Latunski's house earlier this fall, Special 1st Lt. David Kaiser said. No charges were filed in relation to the call because no one wanted to file a complaint.

The original call was for a partially-clothed man being chased out of Latunski's house, Kaiser said. The man said he was there consensually and had run because he became spooked.

Latunski told police he was chasing the man because he was wearing valuable clothing of his, Kaiser said. Both said the encounter was consensual.

Latunski was charged in 2013 with two counts of custodial kidnapping. He initially was found incompetent to stand trial and was ordered to do outpatient treatment. Eight months later, in January 2015, officials at the Michigan Center for Forensic Psychiatry found he was competent and able to stand trial.

This gives insight into what prompts a request for competency or an insanity plea:
Competency to Stand Trial Evaluations – Dr. Dan Swerdlow-Freed, Ph.D. – Michigan

" For example, is there evidence that a defendant believed other people were out to harm him or her? Was he or she hearing a voice telling him or her to take self-protective action that led to the criminal behavior? Was the defendant’s contact with reality so impaired that he or she did not realistically comprehend the dangerousness or unlawfulness of his or her actions?

A criminal responsibility evaluation is warranted when there is evidence of one or more of the following:
  • Chronic or severe psychological problems
  • Intellectual disability
  • Impaired ability to appreciate the nature and quality or wrongfulness of one’s conduct
  • Impaired ability to conform one’s conduct to the requirements of the law
  • Impaired ability to cope with the ordinary demands of life
  • Impaired judgment, behavior, or capacity to recognize reality
  • Substantial disorder of thought or mood"

You know what? All I've read are posts giving insight on the murderer's mental capabilities. This is very concerning to me. Why aren't we seeing anything about what this man did to this trusting young man who died?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. We are discussing the information regarding the arrest and naming of the murderer today at an arraignment. Cause of death has not been released in MSM. There is speculation and rumors about that but we cannot discuss.

There are many posts about Kevin and how loved he was by all who knew him. Is there anything in particular you had to add?

Are there any news articles actually covering this case? I really would like to see what has been revealed on this case. Case of death? Any evidence of what the heck happened? Anything?
Many, if not all, news articles available have been posted beginning with the initial missing reports, searches, when he was found, arrest, arraignment, interviews with family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarryG