MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this is getting ahead of things, but I am thinking about the historical house/mansion that he so lovingly restored, and the grounds that are so impeccably kept. Apparently he held multiple charity events at his home, including for the opera and other cultural organizations. I would love to see a local philanthropist purchase the home from his family (if he left the home to his family if he had a will, or if he didn't then it would go to his family automatically, I believe). And turn it into the Devon Hoover Museum or something similar in his name (or the Devon Hoover Center for the Arts, or something similar).

Gardening groups could also maintain it, the fountains, plants, etc. This assumes the family will not want to keep it, I suppose it depends on their finances. But if they do decide to sell it, then I hope it is purchased by a wealthy philanthropist or philanthropic organization. And with a family member or two serving on the board to ensure it stays true to his memory. Just some thoughts on the future of this wonderful property that Dr. Hoover so lovingly restored and poured so much of himself into.

Edited to add - So many I think would love to see a monument/place like this in his memory and generations would be able to learn about this unique soul at the Hoover House in Detroit, Michigan.
Many homes in the neighborhood are marked with historic plaques out front and are on the historic register. Many very prominent families lived there in Detroit's real heyday - with Ford, the assembly line, etc.

Many homes in the neighborhood are marked with historic plaques out front and are on the historic register. Many very prominent families lived there in Detroit's real heyday - with Ford, the assembly line, etc.

I've toured Edsel Ford's home in Detroit. He and his wife had moved to Dearborn. I've also toured Henry Ford's castle in Dearborn. There's a rough wooden ledge over the gameroom's fireplace that's carved with these words:
"A man who cuts his own wood, warms himself twice."
Thomas Edison invented the first electric hair dryer for Henry's wife in her pink bathroom. The Ford's kept a modest bedroom for Edison to stay when he was around. It is a fascinating tour. JMHO

I spotted several interesting things at Dr. Hoover's mansion when doing a walkabout on GoogleMaps.

The 1st screen grab comes from abc @ 0:25. The iron gate runs along 2nd Ave where the home's driveway is located. Click images to enlarge.
Person of interest being questioned in fatal shooting of Detroit neurosurgeon
Screenshot 2023-04-30 2.21.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 2.52.57 AM.png
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3869243,-83.0882325,3a,75y,38.06h,104.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1silT-ApurSEroWT2jn0TaGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Then, I found images on Flickr and took a screengrab from the exterior of the upper 3rd floor.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 1.58.50 AM.png
Photo credit to Scott Weir

https://www.flickr.com/photos/southofbloor/with/4056004900/

For those who haven't read the obituary yet, it was posted yesterday, I believe.
This is just the first part, the next part talks about his love for his renovated home that he purchased in 2008, and says that Devon did all the bush trimming himself. Pretty amazing. He had a real loven for gardening.

Devon Alan Hoover, aged 53, passed away on Sunday, April 23, 2023. Devon was born to Clarence and Lauretta Hoover on November 18, 1969, in Elkhart, Indiana.
Devon was the fourth child of seven and the middle member of what the family affectionately called "the three little ones." He took initiative in this little group, planning their pretend games and determining the rules that governed their play. Games of Monopoly went on for days as he kept suggesting new rules to extend the game and helped negotiate bank loans for struggling players. His early life was not all play and included plenty of manual labor. Until he left for college, Devon worked on the family dairy farm--milking the cows, planting and harvesting crops, and doing many other chores alongside the rest of the family. One of his hobbies was tending his own small garden in the backyard, which he had filled with herbs and perennials. He also raised and sold potatoes during his teenage years.
As the only son, Devon could have taken over the family farm, but he decided early in life that he wanted to become a doctor. He graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine in 1996 and completed his residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. Throughout his career , he served his patients with exceptional skill and compassion. At the time of his death, he had been practicing for 27 years as a board-certified neurosurgeon specializing in the treatment of neck and back disorders. According to Ascension St. John Hospital, Dr. Hoover was recognized each year since 2008 "as one of Metro Detroit's most respected neurological surgeons in Hour Detroit magazine's annual 'Top Docs' rankings."

I was at a brunch today and some friends were discussing Dr. Hoover.
I had not heard of his death so came right home to check SM and you all are already on it !!

Thanks for starting a thread for him

I dont live in his area but about an hour away and I am familiar with his restoration of his home and those around the area.

Praying for Justice -- It appears he was a beloved man and Doctor to many people.

From your article:

"We are confident no other residents are at risk and this was not an incident where the victim's home was broken into or the act was random," said White... (Police Chief).

I know what he's trying to say: this was not an ordinary burglary. Suspect entered through a rear window of the home and it was apparently targeted.

This is just so sad.

It's possible an altercation started on the first floor and the police saw signs of this. Possibly the altercation ended on the third floor (the attic floor). Maybe the killer wrapped the body in plastic to try to hide the body somewhere in that area to buy time. Or to cover the victim, for that reason alone, as we know that killers who murder someone close to them often cover the body. Maybe it was both.

Just speculation, of course.
It also strikes me as interesting that his car was located on the west side of Detroit, although I've yet to read what condition it was found in. It's as if the murderer was naive enough to think that would be a distraction - "look over there, not here!" - and that perhaps he felt LE would think he was the victim of a carjacking or something. Murderer also seemed to be naive to think that there'd be no odor wrapping it in plastic after awhile. Maybe buying time, as you said. Possible DNA on the body?

I "drove around" that neighborhood today on Google Maps, and his yard certainly is not private, so there's no way anyone could have hidden him in the ground in the garden.

Thinking about the location of his car a bit more... I've been wondering how the murderer got to DH's home. Public transportation? If this was premeditated, that person could have left their car near where he planned to dispose of DH's car, so that he'd be able to get home. But he would have needed a ride from there to DH's home in the first place. Or, if he drove to DH's home or general area initially, then drove DH's car to wherever he dumped it, he would have needed a ride back to DH's home to get into his own car. Two people involved, or did the murderer call for a taxi or uber at any time?

Thinking about the location of his car a bit more... I've been wondering how the murderer got to DH's home. Public transportation? If this was premeditated, that person could have left their car near where he planned to dispose of DH's car, so that he'd be able to get home. But he would have needed a ride from there to DH's home in the first place. Or, if he drove to DH's home or general area initially, then drove DH's car to wherever he dumped it, he would have needed a ride back to DH's home to get into his own car. Two people involved, or did the murderer call for a taxi or uber at any time?
Other possibility is that Dr. Hoover went and picked up the person and then drove him to his home. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82
Back